View Single Post
Old 09-07-2016, 08:08 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 12

Wisdom for Today

It took me a while to understand that I came into the Twelve Step program, not to learn how to stop drinking and using, but to learn a new way of living. I had quit dozens of times but could not figure out how to stay “quit.” The Twelve Step program was not going to teach me how to quit. It would, however, teach me how to stay clean and sober. I had to stop lying to others and myself about my disease. I had to learn to rely on a Power greater than myself. I had to change my lifestyle, my thinking and my behavior.

I did not learn this by going to just a few meetings. I had to go to meetings frequently at first. I needed to do this not only to learn a new way of living but also because I needed time just to let my brain come out of the fog. I generally do not go to meetings as often anymore, but I still increase the frequency of my meetings when I need to do so. I am not advocating going to meetings infrequently, but using meetings effectively. I also urge all addicts to do something each and every day to support recovery. Step work, daily readings, prayer and meditation, talking with your sponsor are just a few of the options. Am I willing to invest in my recovery each and every day?

Meditations for the Heart

I want my will to be in line with my Higher Power. I want to be on a parallel track and to follow His will for me in all that I do. I want to be happy and healthy again. In order to do this, I need to set my thinking and desires on a different path. I must be willing and open to follow the suggestions of the program. I need to “come to believe” that God can and will do for me that which I cannot do by myself. Am I willing to do that which will help and not hinder my spiritual growth?

Petitions to my Higher Power

God,

Today help me not to be a block to my recovery but to be willing to do what is necessary for my spiritual growth. Help me to believe that You can and will do for me that which I cannot do on my own. Help me to be willing to invest in my recovery today and everyday. Give me an attitude of gratitude today.

Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: