View Single Post
Old 09-22-2016, 07:57 AM   #26
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 26

Wisdom for Today

When I was using, I thought I was happy; but the truth was that I was not happy. A huge piece of this unhappiness was being cut off from others, particularly the people I loved. My addiction to alcohol and drugs formed a wall between me and the people I loved the most. My wife, my kids, my parents, my siblings -- all were held at a distance. I could have no real companionship or intimacy with the people I loved. It didn’t matter how much or how often I tried to show them love, I just could not get close. My dishonesty, my guilt and the shame I carried around all formed bricks in a wall that did not allow me to be close. The result was terminal loneliness. I could not be in a real relationship with others or even myself as long as I maintained a relationship with the bottle or my drugs.

All this began to change when I entered the fellowship of the Twelve Step program. I began to feel a sense of belonging. I could risk honesty in my communication with others and found that I was accepted. This made it possible to begin being honest with the people I loved. There are still times that I want to run and hide in relationships with others. But it has gotten easier. There are still times I also want to avoid dealing with painful issues in my relationships with others. But the program and my friends in the fellowship give me the courage to face the pain and deal with reality. One thing I do know is that I no longer have to be lonely. Am I risking openness and honesty with the people with whom I need to be?

Meditations for the Heart

Sometimes it is important for me to go off to a quiet place and be in relationship with my Higher Power. God as I understand Him is a friend that cares for me no matter what. I have unconditional acceptance. I don’t need to pretend, cover up or hide my brokenness. I am accepted for who I am. This does not mean I am not encouraged to change the things I can, quite the contrary. I go to the quiet place to find restoration, guidance and power. In relationship with God I find what I need for the day. I do not get what I need for a week or a month, but what I need for the day; and it is enough. In addiction I always wanted more; in recovery what I need is enough. This is one of the gifts of the program. I can rest assured that I will have enough courage, enough strength and enough wisdom for each day. Am I satisfied with enough, or am I still looking for more?

Petitions to my Higher Power

God,

Today I know You will walk with me and support me in all that I do. No problem will be too big, as I know in my heart I will have enough of whatever I need to deal with the problems I face. Continue to encourage me to be open and honest in my relationships with others. Help me to build bridges and not walls.

Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: