View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 04:02 AM   #2
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing. I knew I was an addict, but in denial about being an alcoholic. I had to get honest. I didn't have black outs when I drank alcohol, but I did with pills. I could walk a straight line, drive on my own side of the road and had the police follow me home and never pull me over. I didn't like beer, so I can't be an alcoholic.

When I went to NA, I found out that alcohol is a drug. I used alcohol like I used people, places, and things in my life. My drug of choice was more.

For many, addiction started with alcohol. Either the alcohol stopped working and they moved onto other things, or they parent, friend, relative, etc. were alcoholics so they decided not to go there, and they picked up other things, and that made it alright.

Personally, I had to give up all substances in order to recover. The woman who asked me for help when I was 3 years sober and asked what Housing could do about the drug and alcohol problems in their buildings. I said, "Nothing!" But you can make space available for those who make up their mind they want help. We had 7 meetings in 6 days. They were open meetings during the day and we had AA, NA, CA, Nar-Anon, OA, GA, and SA attend the meetings.

Our primary purpose is to carry the message of recovery the the alcoholic and/or addict who still suffers. The substance is but a symptom of my disease, the problem is me.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing: