View Single Post
Old 01-14-2016, 07:13 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 15

Wisdom for Today
In addressing my defects of character, I had to once again submit myself to the will of my Higher Power. Whether it was Dishonesty, Ego, Fear, Expectations, Carelessness, Trustlessness, or any other Self-centered behavior, I had to turn it over to God. I became willing to let go of my old ways and find out what my Higher Power's plans for me were. My old ways just didn't work any more. I knew they would simply lead me back to the insanity of addiction.
In turning this over to God, I would be given one lesson after another regarding character. I had to start by really learning to care for myself and others. I had been clean and sober for a while before this concept of really learning to care emerged into my consciousness. I had been going through the motions, trying to "fake it 'til I made it." One night I went to a meeting and a good friend of mine was not there. Something was wrong, he was always at my home group meeting. No one had heard anything from him in days. I learned later that night that he had died of an overdose. Once the shock wore off and I had time to talk with my sponsor, I looked back at all the opportunities I had to show my friend that I cared, but didn't. I know that this could not have prevented what had happened, but I also knew that I could not let these kind of opportunities pass me by again. Do I show others in the program that I care?
Meditations for the Heart
It was in the darkest of places that God rescued me from my disease. I know now that God would have crossed mountains or deserts to find me. I know He would have crawled through briar patches, broken glass, and even the fires of hell to reclaim me. I have learned that nothing can separate me from His love and care. I have learned that I need to join my Higher Power in this quest for those that are lost. In reaching out to others and letting them know I care, I have discovered that I am really helping myself. My carelessness disappears when I reach out to others. This does not mean that I am willing to put myself or my recovery at risk, but it does mean that I need to be willing to carry the message and I need to be willing to show others I care. Sometimes, this means offering someone a ride to a meeting or hanging out with someone after a meeting because they need to talk. Sometimes it means being willing to make a phone call and at other times it means helping someone laugh out loud. Am I willing to show others that I care?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
Today, help me to not focus on myself, but on the needs of others. Let me reach out and show someone that I care. Help me to not worry about being self-conscious and trust that You will guide me in my efforts to show others that I do care. I also want to thank you for finding me in that dark place I was and rescuing me from the insanity of my disease.
Amen
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: