View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 07:02 AM   #50
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 12

Quote of the Week

“Trying to pray is the same thing as praying.”

I didn’t pray or meditate much before I got sober. If I did pray, it was either to keep me from getting into trouble, or to get me out of the trouble my selfish or self-seeking behavior got me into. As far as meditation went, my mind was way too busy for that. Besides, I had parties to go to. As my life spun out of control, I had very little tools to help me deal with the emptiness and desperation I felt most of the time. Finally, alone and afraid, I reached the bottom of my life, and that’s when I finally surrendered.

When I began attending meetings, I heard a lot about prayer and meditation. I thought I was screwed because I didn’t know how to do either one. My sponsor was very patient with me and told me to just start by talking to God. When I told him how angry I was with Him for letting my life get so bad, he encouraged me to tell God about it. He told me that God could handle anything I might say to Him. So I did. I yelled and cursed and told God off. When I sheepishly told my sponsor some of the things I had been telling God, he smiled and said, “At least you’re finally talking to Him.” And that’s when I began to get better.

Today I know that God doesn’t care how you talk to Him, only that you are talking to Him. My awkward attempts at prayer counted, too, because at least I was praying. And each time I tried to meditate – for a minute or fifteen minutes – I still felt better because finally I was meditating. Today I know that any effort I make to connect with God is rewarded because God is always there, always listening.
​​​​​​​
Today I know that trying to pray is the same thing as praying
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote