View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 08:33 AM   #18
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 15

Quote of the Week

“Yesterday was the deadline for complaints.”

When I was drinking, I had a lot of complaints. I complained that I had to work a crummy job. I complained that people didn’t do what I wanted them to do. I complained that the system, the police, and even the world was out to get me. As my drinking progressed into active alcoholism, other people began complaining as well. They complained that I was out of control at parties; that I was selfish and didn’t care about their feelings, and that I had become a danger to be around. These complaints doubled my own, and soon I was consumed by resentments.

When I crawled into the program, I found more things to complain about. I complained about having to go to 90 meetings in 90 days. I complained about the smokers in the parking lot. I complained about people talking and kicking the back of my chair during meetings. But mostly I complained about having to do all the inventories, and readings, and about the commitments my sponsor suggested I get. It was a slow process and it took a long time, but eventually I learned to replace my complaints with prayers, and once I developed an attitude of gratitude my life was transformed.
​​​​​​​
Today I still have a tendency to complain and look at all the things that I still don’t have or that might go wrong. But I also have a full spiritual toolkit today and proven ways to be restored to sanity and serenity. Gratitude lists are still my favorite tool, and anytime I’m in fear or feel like complaining I make a list of 25 things I’m grateful for. By the time I’m done, my perspective has completely shifted and I’m back on my spiritual beam. I realize now that yesterday was the deadline for complaints, because today is the day for living happy, joyous and free.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote