View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 11

Wisdom for Today

Sometimes life just isn’t fair. When one problem after another seems to be piled on each other, it is easy to get frustrated, depressed or overwhelmed. It is easy to get caught up in the furious pace of trying to “fix” things or react in a way that makes you just want to give up. The road of recovery is not always an easy one. It’s easy to go to meetings and complain that the program isn’t working. This has happened to me on more than one occasion. When there are a lot of bumps and curves in the road, I can start to complain to my sponsor, or other recovering people, or friends and even God that it just isn’t fair.

Fortunately, these people who care about me remind me that no one promised that life would be fair. No one says it has to be fair. I am reminded that in difficult times I will not always experience the outcome that I want, but I will always be given the strength to deal with whatever happens. I am reminded to look at my expectations. I am reminded to ask for God’s will to be done in my life. Yes, I still need to do the footwork; but I also need to ask for help and direction. I am repeatedly amazed at what happens when I “let go and let God.” Do I still want to control life? Do I still try to manipulate to get what I want?

Meditations for the Heart

Sometimes the emotions in response to life’s struggles can get overwhelming. I can get wrapped up in sadness, self-pity, resentment and fear. When these powerful emotions rise to the surface and begin to determine how I respond to events in my life, I need to get out of my “gut” and get into my head. One of the slogans in the program is, “ Think! Think! Think!” Yes, thinking can be dangerous for addicts and alcoholics, particularly when it becomes “stinking thinking.” But this slogan reminds me to be wise. In the Serenity Prayer, we say the words, “the wisdom to know the difference.” When emotions become crazy, it is vital for my existence to think wisely. It is the only way to make decisions that are healthy. I can’t afford to let rage, or depression, or fear or self-pity make decisions for me. Do I know when and how to think wisely?

Petitions to my Higher Power

God,
As I walk through this day, keep me on the path of recovery. Help me to be wise in the decisions I face. Give me the strength I need to deal with the problems that come into my life. Give me wisdom to avoid making problems worse by reacting emotionally rather than responding intelligently.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: