View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #8
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Default Behaviour Addiction?

What are your thoughts on "Behavioural Addictions", are they addictions, or bad habits that we enjoy?

A good question! My first thought was they were behaviors that developed as a result of my addiction(s). My love for attention, for validation and approval, my people pleasing, my looking for someone to love me and willing to go to any length to receive that love. A lot stemmed from my need to get comfort or a high and what I needed to do to attain it and maintain it.

Behaviours can be changed. Behaviours can be modified. Behaviours can no longer stand me in good stead and have to be revised to fit my life in today. Behaviours are often as a result of my action to others, which becomes my issue not theirs.

Again, when I see the control word, I think "if I have to control it, it is out of control." For me, the only way it can be controled is by surrendering it and asking my Higher Power for help. Control for me is an illusion. An example of this is me buying myself a treat. I tell myself I will have it a piece at a time. I have it a piece at a time but the problem is, it generally ends up being two pieces. As much as I give myself a talking to and tell myself I shouldn't eat it all at once or I shouldn't buy it at all, it ends up in my fridge. Until I find the willingness, to turn it completely over and ask my HP to take away the craving and the need, it isn't going to happen if I am truly honest with myself. I am telling tales on myself so perhaps, this will be the beginning of the first step on this matter.

I learn a long time ago, that I could be addicted to just about anything. One of the areas I had problems with were Nevada Tickets and Scratch Tickets. Here in my building, I see people who are completely out of control. They are excited about what they won, with no thought of how much it cost them to get it. How true that is with the rest of our life. I paid a high price for my recovery. In today, I choose not to spend any more than I can afford to lose. No matter what it is, I turn it over to my Higher Power and ask Him for help.

Something I posted in 2010

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote