View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 3

Step by Step

” …I went to my first meeting. I was a very fortunate drunk. God has been good to me both in my drinking and in my sobriety. Because, thank God, since I came into this program, I haven’t had any trouble. Oh yes, I get the dry jitters once in a while, but that isn’t anything to worry about. It passes away. But I’ve never come close to that first drink. I took the advice of people I had heard at meetings, the people in the group. And I jumped in with both feet. Someone told me, ‘When you drank, you didn’t get half-drunk. You went all the way. In this program, there aren’t any halfway measures. In here, you must go all the way, too.’ So I attended as many meetings as possible.” – Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, “They Lost Nearly All,” Ch 8 (“Desperation Drinking”), p 516.

Today, “half measures availed us nothing.” Today, I will apply the full measures I exerted on drinking to get sober, and I will listen to the voices of experience and set aside the egoism that I think I know better than anyone else. And if a shot of the “dry jitters” creeps in, I have the Twelve Steps to fall back on and the promise that, “This, too, shall pass.” But I must first get to the point that enough is enough and, today, I give it up, facing that enough is enough. With that desire for something better, I have taken my first baby step. And our common journey continues. Step by step. – Chris M.

~ EASY DOES IT ~ (A Book of Daily 12 Step Meditations) ~

SLOGANS

Live Easy But Think First.

~ Anonymous ~

Live and Let Live, Easy Does It, But for the Grace of God, Think, Think, Think, and First Things First are the slogans we most often hear and see on the walls of our meeting rooms. There is also a popular slogan when we put together in order the first word of these five: "Live Easy But Think First."

Many newcomers hear that we begin recovery on the slogans and stay in recovery on the Twelve Steps. The slogans were developed for use in recovery from the experience of many others. They at first appear to us as too simple (and sometimes too corny) for our use. The slogans are anything but corny. We need to check if we are using them in our daily lives.

The slogans helped me when I first came in. I continue to use them to keep me on the Program, but I also remember not to be a "slogan slinger" and ram them down everyone's throat.

~ WISDOM TO KNOW ~ (More Daily Meditations For Men) ~

Be grateful for luck. Pay the thunder no mind—listen to tine birds. And don’t hate nobody.

~ Eubie Blake ~

Some mornings we wake and the bright sun warms our bodies and our spirits. Other mornings we wake to darkness and feel a heavy shroud of worry surround-ing us. In order to be present for life, a man needs to carry the big picture of life’s cycles in his mind. Small children don’t have the big picture. They haven’t yet experienced the ups and downs of daily life. But our adult life has taught us that the bad times pass and the bright sun returns.

A strong man doesn’t deny the darkness, but he learns to cope with it by choosing what he pays attention to. There may be thunder, but we listen for the birdsong. We don’t lose our gratitude for the good luck we have had so far and for the constant companionship of our Higher Power. We care for our relationships and they sustain us through the darkest times.

Today I accept the cycles of life and I am grateful for the good fortune that has carried me this far.

~ A WOMAN’S SPIRIT ~ (More Meditations For Women) ~

When we live in a place for too long, we grow dull. We don’t notice what is around us.

~ Natalie Goldberg ~

Why is it so hard to be aware of our surroundings? What occupies our minds? Most of us can’t adequately answer these questions. We aren’t even aware that we are not aware. Ego has us trapped, and not against our will. Being unaware has simply become our way of life. Unseeing, we move through the minutes, the places, and the experiences that wear our name, noticing only ourselves.

Our journey is unique. The specific path we travel is trod by no one but us. No detail is without meaning; every moment, every person, every object has significance for us. Our task is to take notice and be grateful. What we need to know, what we are here to learn, is evident in the many tiny elements in our lives. Let’s not miss them.

Looking thoroughly around me today will reveal God’s messages. Nothing has been left to chance.

~ TODAY I WILL DO ONE THING ~ (Daily Readings for Awareness and Hope) ~

I can trust again

When I recall what I've been through in my life, I can see why it's hard for me to feel safe when I try to believe in someone. It seemed that every time I let my guard down, I was mistreated or betrayed.

But eventually in recovery I have come to trust again. The process began with a person who was willing to accept me—regardless of my chemical or emotional problems—a person who was relaxed, open, and consistent with me. My trust didn't come quickly; I tested him to see if I could feel safe. But gradually, it worked. I am grateful that my higher power gave me the strength to try trusting one more time.

Today I will take five minutes to think about how I can help my recovery by trusting myself and other people.

~ BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT ~ (Inspiration and Support for Recovery) ~

All rising to a great place is by a winding stair.

~ Sir Francis Bacon ~

When we look back over our lives it’s surprising to see how many twists and turns we have taken to get where we are today. Sometimes the smallest event has ended up determining what job we have, where we live, or what people are significant to us today. Most of us would never have chosen the path our lives have followed, yet we can be sure it’s no accident we are here today. Even when we denied it, our lives have always been part of God’s plan, not ours.

Today we are better able to accept and live our lives to their fullest. When we realize that what happens is part of God’s plan for us whether we like it or not, we can begin to make the best of things, to learn from defeat instead of pitying ourselves, and to be grateful instead of arrogant when we are successful.

Today help me see the hand of my Higher Power in everything that happens, and to make the best of things.

~ MORNING LIGHT ~ (Meditations to Begin Your Day) ~

Although it is generally known, I think it’s about time to announce that I was born at a very early age.

~ Groucho Marx ~

Your birthday or a special anniversary date can represent one of the most important days of the year for you. Not only does it give you the opportunity to reflect upon your achievements over the past year, but it also represents a time in which you can begin to write a new chapter in the Story of your life. It is a time in which you can be reborn, k Just as a birthday presents a chance to reflect upon all of the years that came before and the opportunity to think about what you would like to achieve before you turn another year older, your anniversary in recovery offers a time to remember what brought you into the program and what things you would like to do as you Continue on the path of sobriety.

While it is important to continually set goals, make changes, and welcome new adventures of discovery, special days in your life can engage you more fully with renewal. Look back at all you have achieved up to this point in time, and look ahead to all of the new beginnings that lie before you.

Today I will celebrate how far I have come in my life and in my recovery.

~ NIGHT LIGHT ~ (A Book Of Nighttime Meditations) ~

The nice thing about football is that you have a scoreboard to show how you've done. In other things in life, you don't. At least, not that you can see.

~ Chuck Noll ~

When we entered the program, we learned how much blame we placed on others and how much denial was in our lives. Gradually we began to see our teachers, friends, or coaches weren't against us. As time went on, we learned our bosses weren't against us, or our lovers, or our siblings. In time, we may have even stopped blaming our parents.

We have no scoreboard to measure our progress other than the way we feel. If we feel restless, edgy, anxious, or unhappy, we've got some more work to do, and we can begin that now. If we're content, serene, and peaceful, we need to continue the work we're doing.

Life's ball game is with ourselves. Either we will push on and keep in winning form, or we will ignore our needs and fall behind. It is our choice, for we are the captain and the team.

I can ask my coach—my Higher Power—for help to keep me in winning form. Let it begin with me.

~ DAY BY DAY ~ (Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts) ~

Sharing ourselves

We can’t give away what we don’t have, but what can we give? Ourselves. We do this by sharing our experience, strength, and hope. Whether we share with an individual or a group, we are walking, talking miracles of what our program can do.

But this program works only through our Higher Power, and only through our Higher Power can we have the joy of sharing with others.

Do I share myself wholly with those who seek help?

Higher Power, meet and defeat the hostile forces in me that I may bring your glory to others.

Today I will share myself wholeheartedly with

God help me to stay clean and sober today!

~ IF YOU WANT WHAT WE HAVE ~ (Sponsorship Meditations) ~

Love has a passion for puzzles, for problem solving, is a grope in the direction of creativity.

~ ANATOLE BROYARD ~

Newcomer

I've met someone that I think I'd like to be friends with—perhaps even more than friends. I know I still have distance to go in recovery, and I don't want to act compulsively, against the suggestion of the program.

The trouble is, I'm afraid that I'll completely lose out on getting to know this person if I don't act now.

Sponsor

It sounds as if life's beginning to get a little bit exciting. This is one of those wonderful problems that we get to have when we're no longer fighting the addiction every day; it's about people.

To me, your desire not to rush headlong into anything sounds pretty sensible. It takes a long, long time to get to know another person. We're entitled to take that time. But what if our pace is a problem for the other person? One person wants to go slow; the other person wants to go fast. It stands to reason that if we're both interested in the relationship, we'll agree to the slower pace.

Whether it's friendship or love we're talking about, sensitivity to the other person is required; we have to honor his or her needs, as well as our own. At the beginning of a new relationship, if another person disrespects needs that we've made clear are important to us, then he or she isn't likely to respect them later on. Those who do respect our needs can contribute something necessary to the process of creating a healthy relationship.

Today, I respect my own needs and am willing to share what they are.

~ THE EYE OPENER ~

Promises, vows, pledges, resolutions, doctors, preachers, priests, psychologists, psychiatrists, hospitals, judges, fails, jitter-joints, in fact everything, but nothing worked.

One day, by the Grace of God, we found ourselves sober, and there can be no denying that it was the Grace of God alone that caused it. That same Grace will remain with you as long as you honestly seek it, and you will find that it will prove more than sufficient.

~ The 12 STEP PRAYER BOOK ~ (A Collection of Favorite 12 Step Prayers and Inspirational Readings) ~

May I Encourage Others

Dear Lord, may I remember to encourage others, truly listen to what others say, encourage their expression of ideas and feelings by exercising patience and empathy, rewarding honesty and openness with affirmation.

You have instructed us to encourage one another, build one another up, be at peace among ourselves, always seek to do good to one another, rejoice always, pray constantly, for this is Your will.

~ Adapted from 1 Thessalonians 5: l2-18 ~

~ AROUND THE YEAR WITH EMMET FOX ~ (A Book of Daily Readings) ~

THE LARGESS OF GOD

Read Psalm 18.

In verse 19 the Psalmist asserts, he brought me forth also into a large place. . . . Is it nor a wonderful thought that God brings us forth into a large place? Then he adds that God delivered me, because he delighted in me. This verse really means that being delivered from the dungeon of fear, the Psalmist was beginning to "experience the delight that peace of mind naturally brings.

And now comes a very significant statement, “according to the cleanness of my hands hath he recompensed me." This refers to right conduct or right living. To have clean hands means trying to live the Christ life. Our prayers have but little power if we are not honestly trying to live up to the best that we know. We always do what we believe.

With the merciful thou wilt show thyself merciful; with an upright man thou wilt show thyself upright; with the pure thou wilt show thyself pure: and with the forward thou wilt show thyself forward (Psalm 18:25-26).

This is a concise and powerful statement of the law that we literally reap what we sow. God, in His infinite wisdom, has made the Laws of the universe and left them to work themselves out. He is not constantly interfering in every individual transaction. If this were the case, there would be no law and God would not be Principle.

~ A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE ~ (365 Daily Inspirations for Heart-Centered Living) ~

Greater Than Starfish

Behold the lilies of the field. They do not toil and neither do they spin. Yet even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. If God cares for the grass, which is here one day and cast into the fire the next, how much more shall He care for you, His beloved child?

~ Jesus Christ ~

In the Virgin Islands, I saw a lizard being chased by a cat who swiped off its tail. A local fellow laughed and told me, "In a short time, the tail will grow again." The regenerative power of nature is miraculous. If an earthworm is cut in half, it will regrow itself to completion. If a starfish loses a limb, it will be renewed.

If such rudimentary creatures as worms and starfish can regenerate lost body parts, so can we. Surely we are at least as evolved as an earthworm!

I know a man who regrew a part of his thumb after losing a section in a construction accident. I met a woman who, after having a lung removed, regenerated it. These people are not exceptions to the laws of nature; they are reminders of our potential.

Let us open our minds to manifest the blueprint of our perfection. Created in the image and likeness of an all-powerful God, we have the capacity to be whole at all times.

Help me manifest the magnificence with which You created me.

My birthright is perfect wholeness. I claim my destiny to live in strength and health.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: