View Single Post
Old 10-06-2016, 07:21 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 6

Step by Step

“The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent. We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.” – Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, Ch 2 (“There Is a Solution”), p 24.

Today, if the numbing physical and psychological impact of my last drunk has been weakened by the passage of time, let my defense be the outcome of my last drunk – likely the same consequence, if not worse, of every drunk before the last one. I have long since passed the point that a drunk tonight will be less physically and less costly than my last drunk, even if it was years ago. My sobriety today does not promise I will be sober tomorrow, but it does promise that I have a choice today to drink or not. If the memory of the physical and emotional toll of my last drunk has been salved by the passage of time, pray I know that I and I alone will be responsible for the consequences of another drunk. And lest I forget that those if consequences were too heavy then, they will probably be too heavy – or heavier – now. Today, I have the choice, and I choose not to forget my last drunk so that I have the choice not to drink. And our common journey continues. Step by step. – Chris M.

~ EASY DOES IT ~ (A Book of Daily 12 Step Meditations) ~

CHARACTER DEFECTS

The only truths we can point to are the ever changing truths of our own experience.

~ Peter Weiss ~

We once wore our character defects like badges of honor. We were comfortable with them. They seemed natural and normal to us. We believed in our defects. We believed we needed them.

The ego of which we were so proud has had to be deflated. When God becomes our primary focus, our character traits are shown to us in a new light. We are able to ask for help from our Higher Power to get rid of the parts of our character that hurt us.

We know that if we are not ready and willing for the help of our Higher Power and our friends, we will not get rid of our character defects.

I must be willing to see myself in a new way and accept myself as I am. That way I can start changing my defects that hurt me and my recovery.

~ WISDOM TO KNOW ~ (More Daily Meditations For Men) ~

The other planets may not be able to support life, but it isn’t easy on this one either.

~ Anonymous ~

The difficulties and pleasures of life always seem to come as a mixture of both. Today’s hard problems will be different by tomorrow. And the pleasures and rewards that come our way always come in waves of greater and lesser measure. That perspective on life’s problems is what we need to continue on our path of personal growth. Today we no longer reach for the instant relief of a drug or a behavior to get an immediate good feeling.

In the midst of all the trees, we look up and see the bigger picture of the forest. The problems at hand today will pass. Our task is to examine the problem, then decide what we can do about it and what we can simply turn over to our Higher Power. By keeping our perspective on the bigger picture, we will not get lost in the anxiety of the present moment.

Today I am grateful that I can count on my Higher Power for help in dealing with my difficulties.

~ A WOMAN’S SPIRIT ~ (More Meditations For Women) ~

Wisdom not gained from within is only someone else’s knowledge.

~ Georgette Vickstrom ~

Now that we are clean and sober and working the Steps of this program, we have the opportunity to discover that we possess good judgment. Our sponsors can help us in this undertaking, but we need to be cautious.

Needing to be right is a common malady among alcoholics, and we have to take that into account when others try to help us make decisions. Just because we are surrounded by program people doesn’t mean we’ll always get good advice. On the contrary, we can expect a fair share of poor advice aggressively given. Using the Steps and the slogans will help us discern rather quickly what’s valuable to us and what is not.

I will look to others for help when I need it; however, I’ll rely on my own judgment too. My inner voice has my best interest at heart.

~ TODAY I WILL DO ONE THING ~ (Daily Readings for Awareness and Hope) ~

I am a worthy person with two illnesses

A friend just canceled our date. I think it was partly due to my mental health issues even though I'm stable and recovering. This hurts. Rejection always hurts, but especially when it is due to my dual disorder, a pair of liabilities that are not my fault.

Still, I know I'm doing the best I can. I am working on my illnesses—staying abstinent, going to therapy and Step meetings. I trust that I will be OK because I have a higher power and I know people care about me. Rejection hurts, but I am learning to deal with it.

I will pray (or meditate) and share my pain and sadness with a trusted friend.

~ BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT ~ (Inspiration and Support for Recovery) ~

In order to perceive the world differently, it is imperative that we learn to retrain our minds and realize that we can gain control over our thoughts.

~ Gerald G. Jampolsky ~

Negative thinking can clutter our minds and influence all our actions and relationships. Becoming aware of negative thought patterns is a foundation upon which we can build a tower of remarkable change.

Our minds are powerful and adaptive. We are finding that we can change our thinking at any moment, age, and time, if we are willing. Now we know that we can change anything in our lives when we begin to change our basic belief system and end our pattern of negative thinking. If we don’t, all our other life changes will be built on shifting sand. When we do, we discover that as we build our new base of positive thinking, everything else we do is in harmony.

Today let me become aware of how much I allow my mind to drift into negative thinking.

~ MORNING LIGHT ~ (Meditations to Begin Your Day) ~

Birds sing after a storm; why shouldn’t people feel as free to delight in whatever remains to them?

~ Rose Kennedy ~

A Zen parable tells the story of two monks who were washing at a stream. As they were washing, a scorpion fell into the stream. One monk plucked the scorpion from the water, and it stung him. The monks continued washing, and the scorpion again fell into the stream. The same monk rescued the scorpion, which stung him a second time. The other monk asked, “Brother, why do you keep saving the scorpion when you know its nature is to sting?”

“Because,” the monk replied, “my nature is to save.” Despite the pain he knew he would receive from the scorpion’s sting, one monk persisted in doing what brought him joy and gave him a sense of purpose in his life. So too can you feel joy despite the difficulties or challenges you may face in recovery Even when you cannot always see where you are going in recovery, you can feel joy that your journey is underway. Despite your setbacks, failures, and mistakes of the past, you can feel joy that those things are behind you. Whether today takes you where you would like to go or provides you with detours and setbacks, you can still feel joy.

No matter what happens today, I will feel joy.

~ NIGHT LIGHT ~ (A Book Of Nighttime Meditations) ~

I guess we are now small enough to go to bed.

~ Theodore Roosevelt, To his soldiers, after gazing at the stars one night ~

Sometimes after a really "up" day we may feel impervious to troubles and problems. We may even feel a bit cocky if others have depended on us for help and assistance and we've been able to provide what they needed.

It's easy to get off on an ego trip by feeling we're the best when we’ve solved problem after problem. We may even feel superhuman. But we need to shrink back to our proper size.

Some days are good, and we deserve them. But good days don't prove that we're the greatest or that all our problems are solved. Today we did what we needed to do. We may have had a lot of energy and patience to work with. Tonight we can feel grateful for this positive, constructive energy. But we need to remember we're the same size we were this morning. We're human, not superhuman. Tonight everything is where it belongs. The stars are up in the heavens and we're here looking up at them.

Tonight I can pray for the continued ability to have wonderful days and to feel good about myself.

~ DAY BY DAY ~ (Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts) ~

Finding our path

We are the result of what we have applied. In recovery we have a chance to apply new principles to our lives. In doing so, we are able to abandon old habits and ideas and, bit by bit, to recognize our Higher Power’s plan for us.

Cleaning house is a necessary beginning for our new way of life. Every day, instead of following our ego’s will, we can take the cues given by our Higher Power and use them to stay connected to our spiritual path in life.

Have I become what I’m meant to be?

Higher Power, today may I begin practicing, thinking, and living according to your plan for me.

I will allow my Higher Power to guide me on my path today by

God help me to stay clean and sober today!

~ IF YOU WANT WHAT WE HAVE ~ (Sponsorship Meditations) ~

Shame kills faster than disease.

~ BUCHI EMECHETA ~

Newcomer

I've really screwed something up badly. It's not the first time, either; I've done this sort of thing before. I should know better by now. I can't believe how stupid I've been.

Sponsor

When I'm working Step Ten, I need to practice exercising my judgment, instead of merely being judgmental. I listen to the dialogues in my head and hear how critical I'm capable of being. I look at my old habit of using words against myself. My lack of charity and compassion toward myself won't improve the situation I'm feeling upset about, nor will it further my ability to be accepting of my fellow human beings. It will keep me in a holding pattern of negativity and criticism. It won't help to repair any error or damage that has taken place; instead, it may block me from thinking of and taking an appropriate action.

An alternative to self-criticism is simply standing back and noticing behavior, in the same way that we notice our thoughts with detachment during meditation: "Oh—I've done that," or "I see that I'm having that feeling again." In the process of changing old patterns, paying attention is more productive than rushing to condemn ourselves.

Today, I choose words with conscious care. I expand my vocabulary replacing the language of attack and insult with words of understanding.

~ THE EYE OPENER ~

Prohibition is a glaring example of the futility of endeavoring to protect men from their own follies. The setting up of barriers is effective only in challenging the resources of man to overcome those barriers.

It is an unfortunate truth that we never fear a hot stove until we have been burnt, and a fresh paint sign serves only as a dare to everyone to put their finger on it and see for themselves.

~ The 12 STEP PRAYER BOOK ~ (A Collection of Favorite 12 Step Prayers and Inspirational Readings) ~

Stop My Running Away

May I remain fearless and searching in taking my daily inventory. This challenge has always seemed difficult—difficult in facing myself as I really am. I cannot run away from the truth or flee from my wrongdoings. Higher Power, stop me in my tracks when my misdeeds are chasing me. May I slow down, stop, and turn to face them with the most trusty weapon that the Program and You have taught me: the honest truth.

~ Adapted from A Day at a Time, August 13 ~

~ AROUND THE YEAR WITH EMMET FOX ~ (A Book of Daily Readings) ~

NO BUTS

When the devil has been unmasked a number of times, his final refuge seems to be the harmless looking word but. Students of the teaching of Jesus Christ who would not be deceived by any of the familiar devices, constantly surrender their principles, and therefore their demonstration, to the little word but.

"Of course I know that God is the only power—but—.”
"Of course I know that God is omnipresent—but—.”
"Of course I know that God is love—but—.”
"Of course I know that there is no hurry because I am in eternity—but—."
"Of course I know that John or Mary must be the living expression of God, just as I am—but—."

If truth is true, there are no buts.

And they all with one consent began to make excuse (Luke 14:18).

~ A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE ~ (365 Daily Inspirations for Heart-Centered Living) ~

Life and Details

You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth.

~ Evan Esar ~

In an airport, I saw a man wearing a baseball cap and a sweatshirt proclaiming, "Baseball is Life—Everything Else is Details."

Each of us chooses what we will value as important, and everything else becomes details. The question is not, "Will I make something important?" It is "What have I made important?"

Jesus explained, "A man cannot serve two masters; he will love the one and hate the other, or he will honor one and despise the other." The law of consciousness is that we will live in the world ruled by whatever we make important.

Because we are spiritual beings, the only world that will ever fulfill us is the realm of spirit. On an airplane, I sat next to a well-respected cardiologist who confessed, "I have all manner of material wealth-several luxurious homes, a Porsche, and a Ferrari. One day my 11-year-old son tearfully told me, 'Dad, I don't know you. I don't see you. When will you have time for me?' That moment I realized that I had placed my values in all the wrong places. Now I spend quality time with my son, and that has made all the difference."

Found your life on that which truly gives life, and leave the details to the universe.

Help me keep my sights on heaven. Today I place love first.

Established in Spirit. I live my deepest values.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: