View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013, 01:08 AM   #13
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

An act of overindulging; indulgence in too much; pleasure or consumption taken in excess of what is satisfying or necessary.

Wiktionary

Had this thought when I was posting in the OA and realized how much it applies to all addictions.

I had no knowledge of the fact that I didn't metabolize alcohol like normal people do. I didn't know that when I had that first drink, it stuck around and was there when I had my second and third and what I got was compounded interest.

The first time I drank socially, I went to the Trinidad Club in Toronto and had eight rum and coke. I was happy-go-lucky. Danced down the walkway to my friend's house, walked a straight line and if I remember rightly, I was singing. I was 21 years old. When I came into recovery, I was told that eight drinks wasn't social drinking. That social drinking was only one or two! I had no concept of this. Over the years, it took more and more to bring me up to where and what I thought I need to function. It was my coping tool. It was my best friend, only to become my enemy and my worst nightmare.

In the end, my social drinking became, "If you are going to have a drink, so shall I! In fact, most times I didn't wait for you to indulge, I was quite happy to start without you.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote