View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 06:43 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 5

Step by Step

"Each group has but one primary purpose - to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers." - The Fifth Tradition
Today, as a humble member of one of thousands of AA groups, I look to the this tradition to determine if my contribution to my group is sufficient or if I can find more that I can and should do. And what I do must be within the command of the Fifth Tradition - to reach out to the alcoholic who still suffers. This tradition does not limit itself to the drinking alcoholic, however, and includes those who still struggle in recovery. As part of my group, let me remember that not only is my group there for me, but I am there for the group, and my example to those who continue to hurt must be a reflection of the program itself. Today, I try to understand that my sobriety comes with the responsibility to represent the program that led me to sobriety. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M.

~ EASY DOES IT ~ (A Book of Daily 12 Step Meditations) ~

ACT MEDIUM

Sign at a 12 Step Meeting: Nobody act big; nobody act small; everybody act medium.

~ Anonymous ~

When we live medium, do we necessarily deny our greatness and our potential? The answer is no. When we live according to the slogan, "Nobody act big, nobody act small, everybody act medium,” we acknowledge that everybody has greatness, and our greatness is not superior to anyone else's. This is hard for us because we are used to feeling special, sometimes low, sometimes high, but always special. Self-centeredness has caused us to want to be higher or lower than others. The Fellowship and our Traditions teach us to rise side by side.

At our meetings we are careful to distinguish between our opinions and our experiences. It isn't as important to us that anyone listen to what we have to say as it is important that we freely share with the hope that it might be helpful to someone.

My ego fits itself to my heart and soul. If my heart and soul are in line with my Higher Power, my ego is inline.

~ WISDOM TO KNOW ~ (More Daily Meditations For Men) ~

Nothing happens unless first a dream.

~ Carl Sandburg ~

Knowing ourselves is partly a matter of forming our dreams for who we want to become. These dreams are constantly evolving as long as we live. They give us purpose in our daily lives and point us in the direction we want to go. We can advance our growth by taking pencil and paper and quickly jotting down our dreams and goals. This simple list can be carried in our billfold, and we can react to it and modify it over time.

Sometimes we resist writing these things down, or even thinking about them, because we may not dare to admit our true motivations and dreams. But even if we don’t admit our dreams, they still shape our behavior. When we acknowledge what we most want, we become better men.

Today I will take the risk to form a clear idea of my fondest dreams.

~ A WOMAN’S SPIRIT ~ (More Meditations For Women) ~

Never pass up an opportunity to tell your loved ones you love them.

~ Sharon Walters ~

We all know how wonderful it feels to be told we are loved. As children, however, some of us seldom heard this. And as adults we may have been in relationships that didn’t nurture us. We, too, may have trouble telling other people how much we care. So often we imitate the very behaviors we have grown accustomed to, even if they are self- defeating.

We are learning through this program that we can develop new behaviors. We are also learning to be patient with ourselves when our learning curve is longer than we had anticipated. Old patterns are not easily broken. Fortunately, we are surrounded by wonderful friends and caring sponsors who will help us work on the behaviors we want to change.

Through the program we are learning that God’s main lesson involves learning how to give and receive love. Initially we may have to act as if we love others. We may have to force the words. But we will grow comfortable with loving others.

I will share my love with a friend or a relative today. My need to give love may even exceed the other per-son’s need to receive it.

~ TODAY I WILL DO ONE THING ~ (Daily Readings for Awareness and Hope) ~

I am learning to live with my feelings

In one way, using alcohol and drugs was exciting. I could just take a drink or pop a pill to change my mood (even if it lasted only a short time). I felt I had some control and power.

But now that I am abstinent, I use no alcohol or street drugs. With nothing to alter my mood, I am more aware of how I am feeling at any time. Sometimes there's pain, sometimes boredom. (There's certainly less control.) And more and more, there's even some joy. In short, I am slowly learning to accept and to live with my feelings. I believe that the reward of long-term recovery is worth it.

I will pray for strength to handle my feelings (and call for support as needed).

~ BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT ~ (Inspiration and Support for Recovery) ~

Come forth into the light of things,
Let Nature be your teacher.

~ William Wordsworth ~

When life seems filled with stress, nature can help us find harmony between our bodies, minds and spirit. Walking on the beach on a Sunday morning, hearing the sound of the waves crashing against the breakwater, we can hear our own thoughts, and all of life, more clearly.

When we jog, the rhythm of our steps and the fresh air draw us inward. We form a closer relationship with our inner self. Complex problems take on simpler dimensions and our confidence grows.

At times like these, we feel a profound intimacy with our Higher Power and the best that is in us. Our new awareness of nature’s simplicity and harmony brings us a great sense of peace and well-being. Confident in our Higher Power’s love, we can face the future with serenity.

Today help me feel close to nature and my Higher Power. Help me find harmony in all areas of my life.

~ MORNING LIGHT ~ (Meditations to Begin Your Day) ~

Perhaps loving something is the only starting place there I is for making your life your own.

~ Alice Koller ~

Because you may have been hurt by feeling and expressing love in the past, you may have learned to equate love with pain and disappointment. Because the love you were shown may have been conditional, given to you only when a parent or a partner was in a good mood, you learned that love was inconsistent.

Without knowing love as a wonderful experience that builds you up rather than tears you down, you may have learned to fear the emotion. When others showed you love, you may have felt that there was something wrong with them or there was an ulterior motive to their love. You may have believed that love was never meant to last and doubted that you were even deserving of love.

Love is simply part of the foundation on which you build who you are as a person. It is a cornerstone from which you can learn and grow. Love that is neither felt nor expressed presents you with an incomplete life. Develop a love of your self, a love of a Higher Power, and a love for the goodness of others, and you will find there is nothing to fear in love.

Today I will express and feel love.

~ NIGHT LIGHT ~ (A Book Of Nighttime Meditations) ~

Rest is not a matter of doing absolutely nothing. Rest is repair.

~ Daniel W Josselyn ~

When we are sick, it is evident we need rest because our bodies tell us so. But when we are healthy, it is more difficult to hear those messages. So we may work overtime, stay up later, or spend more time on chores or projects.

But if we learn to listen to our bodies, we will pick up subtle messages that signal a need for rest. Tight muscles, a backache, a slight headache, and tired eyes are some o[ those messages. When the batteries wear down in a flashlight, the light becomes dimmer until it finally goes out. Before our "bulbs' go out and we fall victim to ill health, we need to remember our inner batteries can't run without rest.

Resting doesn't necessarily mean doing nothing. Rest is slowing our pace, becoming less active, less tense. Going to a meeting can be restful. Reading literature, watching television or a movie, listening to music, or talking to friends are all forms of rest. Resting recharges our batteries so we can continue to shine bright and strong.

Tonight I will recharge my batteries so I can shine tomorrow.

~ DAY BY DAY ~ (Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts) ~

Practicing abstinence

We must always remember that absolute abstinence is the keystone to our recovery. Using any mood-altering chemicals will prevent us from working the program effectively. They flip our thinking back into old patterns and eventually con us back into full-blown addiction.

There are many products we must be careful of: antihistamines, cough syrups, over- the-counter sleeping pills, caffeine tablets, and others. If we experience addiction and compulsions, we must be extremely careful about what we put into our mouths.

Am I staying absolutely clean?

Higher Power, help me to accept my addiction and the need to abstain from any mood-altering chemicals.

I will strengthen my abstinence today by

God help me to stay clean and sober today!

~ IF YOU WANT WHAT WE HAVE ~ (Sponsorship Meditations) ~

Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.

~ JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE ~

Newcomer

How is making amends going to change me?

Sponsor

For me, the experience of making amends was—and is—profoundly life-changing. I'd been carrying a burden of guilt with me everywhere. Even when I didn't realize it, a large part of my mental and physical energy was being used to carry it. It was always with me, keeping me from feeling free. When I finally started to make amends, all that weight I was carrying disappeared.

An amend doesn't stop with apologizing or making restitution. It's a commitment to change. Having gone through the process of admitting that I'd done some damage, accepting that the work of restitution was mine, and making the required amends, I became morally awake. I began to understand the consequences of my behavior.

Not that I've become perfect; I still do things that harm others. But seeing and admitting my responsibility for what I do and say has become a habit. With old amends over and done with, we don't have to be afraid of whom we'll meet. We don't have to hide from ourselves or anyone else.

Today, I'm free. I don't have to pick up my addiction. I don't have to behave in old, familiar ways.

~ THE EYE OPENER ~

If you are a Person who likes his drink and yet has to forego his pleasure in order to retain some semblance of order in your life, you will naturally be miserable.

For you there is but one remedy. Get busy on the Program, talk it, work it, preach it, think it, pray it, live it—then you will find that you like it.

~ The 12 STEP PRAYER BOOK ~ (A Collection of Favorite 12 Step Prayers and Inspirational Readings) ~

Quiet My Mind

Dear Lord, teach me to quiet my mind.
Stop my thoughts from racing from one thing to another.
Stop me from the obsessive thinking about the lives of others.
Help me rest and quiet my mind.
Help me let go of trying to control the lives of others.
Free my mind to be at rest.
This I pray.

~ AROUND THE YEAR WITH EMMET FOX ~ (A Book of Daily Readings) ~

THE CAPTAIN IS ON THE BRIDGE

The world is not going to the dogs. The human race is not doomed. Civilization is not going to crash. The captain is on the bridge. Humanity is going through a difficult time, but humanity has gone through difficulties many times before in its long history and has always come through, strengthened and purified.

Do not worry yourself about the universe collapsing. It is not going to collapse, and anyway that question is none of your business. The captain is on the bridge. If the survival of humanity depended upon you or me, it would be a poor lookout for the Great Enterprise, would it not?

The captain is on the bridge. God is still in business. All that you have to do is to realize the Presence of God where trouble seems to be, to do your nearest duty to the very best of your ability; and to keep an even mind until the storm is over.

Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them (Psalm 119:165).

~ A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE ~ (365 Daily Inspirations for Heart-Centered Living) ~

Tell Me Why

The only meaningful contribution the healer can make is to present an example of one whose direction has been changed for him, and who no longer believes in nightmares of any kind.

~ A Course in Miracles ~

My friends Cheeah and Fairoh are a lovely couple who have dedicated themselves to peaceful living, and they make a real effort to walk their talk. As a result, they exude a quietness that is inspiring; simply to be in their presence is a delight. While giving a talk on creative writing at a community college, they opened the floor to questions. "Something about you is different," one student noted sincerely. "What is it?" The young woman had been touched by the gentleness of the couple's presence, which was a welcome contrast to the sharpness of many teachers she had known.

To walk with the peace of God in your heart is to transform the world by your presence. When love is your keynote, there is nothing in particular you need do; your gift is your being. Many people seek to change the world by getting everyone to join their religion or organization, use their product, agree with their philosophy, or replicate their experience. But real transformation does not come from manipulating people or events; it proceeds naturally from inner awakening and then living the light.

Often our attempts to create social change are a distraction from the real work of changing ourselves. Ram Dass observed angry bickering on the board of an organization dedicated to bringing health care to Third World countries. "What's the use of working for world peace," Ram Dass asked, "if you cannot even get along with the person working at your side?"

Jesus suggested that we be in the world, but not of it. Let us move through our daily activities with the peace of God in our hearts, and thus establish love on the planet.

Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace. Help me give healing by my being.

I am the light of the world. I live the truth I know.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: