View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

October 7

Wisdom for Today

Man, I loved to party! I loved going out with my drinking buddies and buying them a round. I loved turning other people on. It made me feel important. But I wasn’t doing any of them a favor. Most of the people I hung out with probably were alcoholic or addicted people just like me. Buying them a drink just helped them get drunk. Getting them high just enabled their addiction to progress. I wasn’t really even doing it for them; I was doing it for my own selfish reasons. I needed people around me who would support and endorse my behavior.

When I joined the program, things changed. People genuinely cared and supported me in the changes I needed to make. As I put a few more twenty-four hours under my belt, I was able to return the favor. I was able to share my experience, strength and hope in order to help others. Sometimes I was doing this without even being aware that I was helping. Friends would come up to me after a meeting and say, “I could really relate to what you shared tonight.” As time passed, I was able to become a sponsor to others in the program and could act as a guide through the steps. I was helping others in a genuine, unselfish way, just as I had been helped. Am I willing to help others in the program in an unselfish way? Do I give away what I have been given? This is the fellowship of the Twelve Step program.

Meditations for the Heart

You can’t teach a child to learn how to really ride a bike if they refuse to take the training wheels off. It is a clear indication that they do not trust. Similarly, God cannot teach us if we do not trust. We have to let go of our fears and learn to trust our Higher Power. There are two blocks to trusting in our Higher Power. The first one is that we do not trust ourselves. We say, “I can’t do that.” We convince ourselves that we are not capable of accomplishing anything. The second block happens when we say, “God won’t be there for us when we need Him.” Learning to trust that God cares for us is not always easy. But recovery can’t happen if we hang onto our stubborn, self-defeating beliefs. It can’t really happen if we refuse “to take the training wheels off.” Do I trust that God will be by my side each step of the way in this new life I’ve been given?

Petitions to my Higher Power

God,

Today let me accept the help that is offered to me, and let me reach out to others by sharing my experience, strength and hope. When I get stubborn, remind me to trust. Teach me to use the steps in my life as a guide to solving my problems.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: