View Single Post
Old 01-09-2016, 06:31 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 10

Wisdom for Today
Over time I have watched one newcomer after another walk in through the doors of the program. Many of these individuals have tried desperately to control their use of alcohol or drugs and failed. Many have tried to quit on their own and failed. Still others have been in one treatment program after another and failed. Yet, those that completely give themselves to this simple program find a way to get clean and sober. This fact in and of itself is amazing.
But what really astound me are the remarkable changes I see these individuals go through. Each of them, just like myself, had severe problems with their personality. There were clearly major problems with my thinking, emotional responses, behavior and beliefs. My disease process had corrupted my personality. Through working the Steps, I have watched myself change, and I have watched one newcomer after another change. If you need proof that the Steps work, just hang around and watch what happens to people in the program who really work the Steps. This evidence not only convinces me that "it works if you work it," but it also shows me that there is a Higher Power at work in our lives. What has happened to others and me is not luck, but it is the grace of God. Am I convinced that a Higher Power can help me change my personality?
Meditations for the Heart
Learning to cooperate with God is not always easy. Sometimes I am convinced that I am my own worst enemy – particularly when it comes to my character defects. It just seems that I really like some of them too much. So how do you give up something that you like? Not an easy task! When I looked closely at my defects of character and personality flaws, I could see how these things were just as destructive as my drinking and using. I knew if I was ever going to change these aspects of who I was and how I behaved, I would need to cooperate with God. This cooperation begins with openly seeking and acknowledging the presence of a Higher Power in our lives. As I became more conscious of the presence of God in my life, it was not hard to find direction for the needed changes. But cooperation means more than just acknowledging God's presence; it also means surrender. Over and over I have surrendered to my Higher Power. The problem is that some of those character defects I take back. I let go, but then I take them back. Over time though I have found that I take these defects back less and less often. I just don't need them anymore. Have I become ready to have God remove my defects?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
Over time You have convinced me that the program does work. More importantly, You have convinced me that You work for me and for others in the program. Today I know my faith is stronger because of what You have done for me in my life. Help me to stay on the course and continue to work each of the Steps as I walk through this life. Help me to develop and attitude of cooperation with You.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: