If You Want What We Have:
Sponsorship Meditations
By Joan Larkin

©1998 Joan Larkin
---- 10 ----
The war is over.
SAYING HEARD AT MEETINGS

Newcomer
I’m trying to understand the First Step, and I’m really stuck on the word “powerless.” I’m not weak; I don’t want to be called powerless. It really insults my intelligence.

Sponsor
Let’s take a look at this part of the First Step together. It doesn’t simply say, “We admitted we were powerless.” Far from it. It says that we were powerless over something. We recognized that a specific substance or behavior had proved stronger than our determination not to consume it or engage in it. Choosing recovery does not mean that we are weak, but it does offer us an opportunity to surrender. Accepting the truth that we have an addiction is an easier way for us to change our addictive behavior than continuously fighting with it. When I resist, my enemy just seems to get stronger. So instead, I accept that there are some things I can’t control. That acceptance becomes a source of enormous power.

Today, I empty my hands and let go of my weapons.
I admit that addiction has played a role in my life.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: