View Single Post
Old 02-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #80
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Higher Power

"Most of us have no trouble admitting that addiction had become a destructive force in our lives. Our best efforts resulted in ever greater destruction and despair. At some point, we realized that we needed the help of some Power greater than our addiction."

Basic Text p. 24

Most of us know without a doubt that our lives have been filled with destruction. Learning that we have a disease called addiction helps us understand the source or cause of this destruction. We can recognize addiction as a power that has worked devastation in our lives. When we take the First Step, we admit that the destructive force of addiction is bigger than we are. We are powerless over it.

At this point, our only hope is to find some Power greater than the force of our addiction—a Power bent on preserving life, not ending it. We don't have to understand it or even name it; we only have to believe that there could be such a Higher Power. The belief that a benevolent Power greater than our addiction just might exist gives us enough hope to stay clean, a day at a time.

Just for today: I believe in the possibility of some Power that's bigger than my addiction.

pg. 82
At a year sober, after believing I thought I knew who God was, I went on a spiritual journey, a spiritual quest, to find out who God was to me and to make Him/Her personal. I am still looking. I feel as though if think I KNOW who God is, then I may stop looking for Him. One of the biggest sources I found was in meetings. I call them God Villages. Every soul in that meeting has a Higher Power, whether they know Him/Her or not. I found Him/Her in nature and as the Native American people say, "Mother Earth and Father Sky." I found Him/her in the different religions of the world. I love Osho and Zen. I looked for the Goddess within. I went back to church twice. Even though I finally left, I still read my Bible on occasion.

The biggest source is finding the quiet, say a prayer, going within and listening for the answer. The source is there. The answers are there even though sometimes I don't know what the question is.

This was written in 2011. It never ceases to amaze me how the story is still the same in today. I still need to find the quiet and do a meditation to listen for my God's Good Orderly Direction in today.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote