View Single Post
Old 05-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #34
yukonm
Administrator

May 27

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Many alcoholics are enthusiasts. They run to extremes. At the beginning of recovery a man will take, as a rule, one of two directions. He may either plunge into a frantic attempt to get on his feet in business, or he may be so enthralled by his new life that he talks or thinks of little else. In either case certain family problems arise. With these we have had experience galore. - Pgs. 125-126 - The Family Afterward

Hour To Hour - Book - Quote

If we can meditate at first, good. If we can pray, good. But if we can't, we mustn't worry. Discipline and dedication will come later. They are not great virtues of addicts. In the meantime we must attend meetings daily, find a sponsor, use professional help if its available and don't take that first fix, pill, drink, smoke, or snort.

May I not get down on myself for not doing everything people tell me I should. I need only go to meetings and stay clean and sober right now.

Acting As If

There will be times when I do not feel up to things, when there seems to be too big a gap between who I think I am and who I want to be. I believe in being true to myself, in being basically honest. When I first try something new, it may feel as if I am trying on an article of clothing that doesn't quite suit me. But there is nothing wrong with acting 'as if.' I may need to practice new behaviors in order to become comfortable with them. Sometimes, when I allow myself to act 'as if,' the old me sort of falls away and makes room for something new. Children do this all the time, trying on different roles and playing with them. There is no reason to commit myself to a limited view of who I am.

- Tian Dayton PhD

Pocket Sponsor - Book - Quote

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

My sponsor's mistakes become my gifts when I listen.

"Walk Softly and Carry a Big Book" - Book

We're not against alcohol, we're for sobriety.

Time for Joy - Book - Quote

I will take all the time I need to keep in touch with my Higher Power today. Meditation slows me down and brings me peace whenever I choose.

Alkiespeak - Book - Quote

I was always trying to find a balance between being a doormat or a bulldozer. - Bea M.

One Day At A Time

yukonm is offline   Reply With Quote