View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 06:35 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 7

Wisdom for Today
There are a lot of little things that go into making recovery what it is, but all those little things add up over time. I'm not sure I could even begin to describe all the little things that go into it. I have just come to accept that when all it is added up, life is good. This is not to say that there are no more problems, just better ones, or at least better ways to cope with the problems that come up in life. I have been fortunate enough to put together a good deal of time under my belt, but it has all been done one day at a time.
One of the more important little things is to find gratitude in recovery. I know for certain that gratitude was not present early in my recovery process. Yes, I was glad I had stopped drinking and using, but I was not happy right away. In fact, I was pretty miserable for a while. I'm not even sure when gratitude first came into the picture, but I know it was solidified when I completed Step Five. I became grateful for the inner calm and the quiet satisfaction I felt. I became grateful for the ability to forgive myself. I became grateful for the forgiveness I felt from my Higher Power. Have I begun to see the little things add up?
Meditations for the Heart
I came to a fork in the road of recovery when I completed Step Five. One path led nowhere because it was the path on which I see too many addicts and alcoholics stop. Too many times I have seen individuals finish Step Five and skip the repair work, jumping ahead to Step Ten, or even Twelve. This path seems to go nowhere because it just goes in circles. I know, because I walked on this path for a time. The other path leads on to Step Six, a process of preparation and letting go. I thought that the path that went nowhere would allow me some time to rest, but I found going in circles was not easy. I knew the other path would not be easy either, but at least it led somewhere. If I was going to hang onto that sense of gratitude, then the choice was simple. It was time to move on. Am I ready to move forward in my recovery?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
You never said this road would be easy, but the directions You provide are simple enough. Today I will be glad for the journey. I will seek out the things in my life for which I can be grateful, and I will acknowledge the gifts that I receive from You. Help me to make good and healthy choices today.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing: