Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 08-31-2016, 08:46 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Wisdom For Today - September

September 1

Wisdom for Today
I’m tired. Some days I just don’t feel like I have the energy to go on. It is at times like this that I trust that God will lead me to a place of rest. Just like a river runs dirty after a storm, I know that my life also ran dirty after the storm of addiction. Yet over time as the river continues to flow, it is cleaned. This is true in my life. God does not promise that storms won’t come back into our lives, but He sees to it that the river of life runs clean again. The water does not always rage, it does calm down and flows peacefully again. Do I trust that God will bring me to a place of peace and serenity as long as I walk with Him?
Meditations for the Heart
When I was stuck out in the rapids of addiction, I just wanted to find a way out. I kept bouncing off the rocks and thought for sure I would drown. It seemed that no matter how hard I would swim that I would never get out of the rapids. It was not until I called out for help and realized that I could not get out of the rapids by myself, that then I found hope. The 12 step Program threw me a rope and began to pull me back to shore. Do I trust that God will give me the strength to hold on to the rope?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,

Sometimes I just want to give up, even though I know I am being pulled back to shore. I grow tired and weak. God give me the strength to hold on so that I may rest a while when I get to shore. Help me to realize that my work is not done even when I
get out of the river.

Amen
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2016, 08:46 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 2

Wisdom for Today
When I was busy getting high or wasted, whether at the bar or at a using buddy’s place, I was constantly worried about running out. I always had to keep the “fridge” filled with cold beer. I could never let my “stash” run out. I always had to have “more.” It became a way of life for me.

The twelve-step program is not so different. It too is a way of life. Each of us uses the principles of the program in different ways, but with the same purpose. Some of us use quiet time and meditation, some use meetings and sponsors, some use twelve-step social functions with the intent of learning a new way to live – clean and sober. One thing that we can’t forget is that
we need to be refilled constantly. Do I use the program to get refilled?
Prayer was a very difficult thing for me in early recovery. It was something I had to grow into. Then my sponsor told me it was simply “talking to a friend.” That was something I could do. A true friend was somebody that was willing to listen, someone who cared, and someone who would give me guidance. A true friend would look out for me and would pick me up if I stumbled. I true friend would point out the stumbling blocks along the way. Is my Higher Power my true friend?
God,

There are times that my tank runs on empty. Remind me to continue to refill my recovery engine when I need to. Be my friend as I walk through this day and guide me along the way.

Amen
Old 08-31-2016, 08:47 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 3

Wisdom for Today
When I as active in my addiction, I did not take care of myself physically, mentally, or spiritually. Frequently, I did not eat enough or ate the wrong things. I never got any exercise other than lifting a “cold one.” Mentally I played lots of games. I made many assumptions that were wrong. I was constantly busy figuring out what my next lie would have to be. My whole belief system was messed up. And spiritually, I had simply given up all hope. I was convinced that “God” did not exist or had forgotten about me, when in truth it was I who had forgotten about Him. I had become as useless as a lump of clay. Am I taking better care of myself physically, mentally, and spiritually?
Just like a lump of clay, I am shapeless and formless when I walk into the doors of the twelve-step program. Though the handiwork and care of sponsors, other recovering addicts and alcoholics, my life began to shape up. My “Higher Power” also worked hard to craft me to a new usefulness. I was “fired” in the kiln of the twelve steps. I was glazed in the principles of honesty, openness, and willingness and fired again. Today I can see that I have become a “new vessel,” one that can be used for good in this world. Can I see the beginnings of usefulness in my life?
God,

Today I want to be of service to others and of service to you. Help me to accept your will in my life. Mold me, shape me, and use me for good in this world today.

Amen
Old 08-31-2016, 08:47 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 4

Wisdom for Today
In early recovery it is vitally important to keep our faculties about us. If we don’t stay alert, we may not recognize that we are in trouble until it is too late. It is all too easy to overextend ourselves, trying to get the quick fix. There were many problems I faced in early recovery. I felt driven to try and resolve them right away. I wanted immediate gratification.

I found myself working extra hours trying to dig out of my financial mess. I found myself agreeing to do things I should have said no to. I thought that keeping busy was the answer. However, I soon found myself out on a limb and very tired. When I got overtired, I couldn’t think straight. My recovery was at risk. Fortunately I had the program reminding me to slow down. Easy does it, HALT, let go and let God were that slogans being repeated over and over again. Am I willing to slow down and focus on self-preservation? Do I know that getting overtired is not good for me?
Understanding that recovery is a process that occurs over time is a concept I cannot afford to ignore. I didn’t become an alcoholic or addict overnight. I certainly can’t expect to fix all my problems overnight. Learning to slow down and rest along the road to recovery is important for my health. Now that I have some time under my belt, I can see that slowing down actually helped me resolve my problems quicker, in part, because the fix lasted. Am I willing to trust God’s plan for me? Do I understand that He will lead me in His time frame?
God,

Today let me do only those things that are necessary. Help me to know when to stop and rest. Renew my strength and let me know I am secure in recovery when I follow your will for my life. Let me focus on what is important today.

Amen
Old 09-03-2016, 06:40 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 5

Wisdom for Today
We admitted. The first two words of step one are most important. The longer that I have been clean and sober, the more I realize that this was not something I could have done on my own. Looking back I had made many, many attempts to change, control, and quit on my own. Each of these attempts ultimately led to failure and I was back in the insanity of my addiction. It was not until I was ready to stop doing it my way that things changed. I needed the help of others. I had to become “we.”

Have I admitted that I am addicted? Have I stopped trying to run the show my way? Am I convinced that my way doesn’t work? Is there any doubt left that says, “Someday I will be able to drink or use again?” Admitting that I was powerless was not an easy task. It meant a radical shift in my thinking. Fortunately, being powerless was not the same thing as being helpless. I did
not choose to become addicted or alcoholic. I just wanted to be like everyone else and have a good time. But once I admitted that I had this illness, I had to take responsibility for recovery. Have I accepted the responsibility of recovery?
It’s all good. This must be my roadmap for today. It is easy to get caught up in the “tunnel vision” that recovery is awful or too hard. Do I believe that God cares for me and will provide what I need for this day? When I believe this, I can see that God is with me at all times. I can begin to see that even in my most difficult times in recovery that He will give me what I need to deal with the problems I face. And this certainly is good.

As I walk though this day, I can stop along the way and see His grace. I can see those times when He places people in my life to give me direction, encouragement, and wisdom. I can choose to be grateful for each miracle I experience. Do I trust that God walks with me each step of the way?
God,

One step at a time I must walk though this day. I admit I need guidance along the way. God help me to follow your will for me. Step by step you show me the way. I have to “walk the walk” but you show the way. When I stumble along the way God, pick me up so that I may continue on this path.

Amen
Old 09-03-2016, 06:41 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 6

Wisdom for Today
What are the building blocks of our program? Honesty, fellowship, faith in our Higher Power, and caring, are a few I have found important. We can never fully attain these goals. Yet, these are the things we need to build on if we are to be successful in recovery. Honesty is where it all starts. We must find honesty with our addiction; if we continue to lie to ourselves about having this disease, we stand no chance of getting better. We each surrounded ourselves with people to support our addiction and need to surround ourselves with the fellowship that supports recovery. Learning to have faith that God can and will do for us what we can’t do on our own is an important factor in the quality of our recovery. It makes the difference between being miserable and sober and content and clean. And finally, learning to really care for others and for ourselves is what working the steps is all about. Am I including these building blocks in the foundation of my recovery?
Knock and the door will be opened. I believe that my Higher Power is always ready to help me. When I feel as if my life is in stormy times, I know that there is a safe haven to which I can go and the door will always be opened for me. God helps me to find peace in the storm. He grants me the courage to deal with the struggles I have. I am sure that His help is always there. He anticipates my needs even before I ask. The fact that I survived my addiction is ample evidence for me of His anticipating my needs. God was surely looking out for me as I was not looking out for myself. Do I see that God anticipates my needs?
God,

Today I walk in the confidence that you are always ready to help me. I trust that you will give me what I need for this day. Help me today to strengthen the building blocks in the foundation of my recovery.

Amen
Old 09-03-2016, 06:41 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 7

Wisdom for Today
Freedom is a concept that is too often difficult to grasp. I believe that too many addicts and alcoholics see freedom as meaning “no strings attached.” Certainly, when we were using, our view of freedom was distorted. We thought we were free to choose to use alcohol or drugs whenever we wanted. But this kind of freedom led to our bondage. Our disease imprisoned us. Addiction took control of our will. We were no longer able to make free choices. We had to use.

Freedom in recovery comes with a price. There is a string attached. Freedom in recovery requires responsibility. We may not be responsible for becoming addicted. Certainly none of us chose to be alcoholic or drug addicted, but we must choose to be responsible for our recovery. We are required to do “the next right thing” if we are to maintain our recovery program. We must be responsible and go to meetings, use our sponsors and work the steps. The freedom that recovery offers comes only with this string attached. Am I willing to be responsible for my recovery in order to find freedom?
Making the choice to be free is not something we can do all by ourselves. My will always wants to choose the wrong way to freedom. My will wants to find the easier, softer way. I believe that our will gets short-circuited in addiction. I believe addiction fries the circuits of the will. It is only by the grace of God that we are able to again choose the responsible path. Step Two talks of being restored to sanity. Do I recognize that my “Higher Power” is the only hope I have for being restored? Do I see that my circuitry needs to be rewired in order for me to make responsible choices that will lead me to freedom?
God,

Too many times I have tried to do it my way and failed. Help me to see that my only hope is through You. Help me to choose the responsible path to freedom in recovery. Help me to see that my way will not work and that I must rely on You to lead me to freedom.

Amen.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:45 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 8

Wisdom for Today
We all traveled different paths to arrive at the door of opportunity that recovery offers. The same is true regarding our concept of “God as we understand Him.” Many of us claimed to believe and have faith when we were active in our addiction, but our behavior did not match our words. We may have asked for God’s help, but we did not accept it when His hand reached out to offer help.

As we enter the Twelve Step program, we all start in different places with regard to our spiritual faith. Yet one thing is sure -- we all need to grow in this area. Some of us can crawl, others walk and still others may be able to spiritually run right from the start. Do I realize that I need to grow spiritually if I am to succeed at abstinence?
Our journey toward spiritual health often begins in a place of weakness. Yet it is in this place of weakness that we are most receptive to grow in faith. The program offers plenty of evidence that it works. We can see that many before us have used the steps to grow and stay in recovery. Faith begins with a willingness to accept this reality and begin to trust that the steps indeed can lead us out of insanity. Opening ourselves to the concept of “God as we understand Him” can indeed be where we find hope in the middle of hopelessness. Do I recognize that I can no longer be my own Higher Power? Am I willing to open myself to the spiritual principles of the program?
God,

It seems strange to call out to You this way. I always looked for a quick fix. Help me today to be open to the spiritual principles of the program. Increase my willingness to have faith.

Amen.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:06 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 9

Wisdom for Today

When I was active in my addiction, I thought I was having fun and that life was good. As my disease progressed, I began to experience all the harmful consequences associated with my drinking and using. Early in my recovery life was not a lot of fun. It seemed as if my whole life had been taken away from me. I had a hard time seeing that what was actually happening was that I was finally getting my life back. I kept going to meeting after meeting, and little by little I found my life and myself again. There were times I could laugh again. I found myself being able to look others and myself in the face again. I found that I no longer felt like I was on the wrong side of the tracks. It didn’t happen all at once, but over time I found meaning in my life again. Do I believe that the program can bring meaning back into my life?

I will search after the Divine Spirit in life and trust that God will bring meaning back into my life. I will search to improve my conscious contact with God, as I understand Him. For in doing this, I know that I will find the answers I am looking for. I know that when I search after this Higher Purpose, I find not only what I am looking for; but I also find what I need. Am I willing to search for God’s will for me?

God,

Today let me laugh and find enjoyment in the simple gifts that the program provides. Help me to remain forever grateful for each day I am given back in recovery. Help me to see that even my bad days now are far better than when I was wasted.

Amen.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:06 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 10

Wisdom for Today

I believe that each of has an inner desire to be loved. We want others to care for us, often times secretly. We want to know that others will be there and reach out to us when we are in need. With addiction to alcohol or drugs, often times this inner desire gets skewed. We look to alcohol or drugs to fulfill this inner desire. In the height of my addiction I looked to drugs and alcohol for comfort, love and to satisfy my inner desires.

In recovery I need to recognize how easy it is to misplace this desire for love. It is easy to misplace this desire on to things, people and even my Higher Power in unhealthy ways. If I am honest with myself, and others and even God, as I understand Him, I can find healthy ways to accept love. I do not need to try and manipulate the process to satisfy my inner desire. Am I still trying to manipulate others or God into accepting me?

Perhaps one of the best ways to assure that I am not trying to manipulate is to learn how to love myself. I need to realize and accept that I am valuable and worthy of love. I do this by loving myself. This means that I care enough about myself to correct myself when I am wrong, just like a father corrects his children when they do things that are hurtful, dishonest or manipulative. This is an act of self-love in a healthy way. Step Ten teaches us to admit our wrongs. Do I see that I wrong myself when I try to hide or manipulate others or try to hide or manipulate the way I view myself rather than seeing me as I really am?

God,

Someone once told me, “God don’t make junk.” Help me value myself as You value and love me. Help me to recognize and accept love from others in the program. Help me not to try and manipulate to satisfy my inner desire for love. Give me courage for this day.

Amen.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:08 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 11

Wisdom for Today

I can remember thinking, “What am I doing here?” I really didn’t see how going to meetings was going to help. I would go and sit around, not say much and hope the "magic" would work. When it became apparent that just sitting around wasn’t going to work, I realized I had to put it into action. That meant going to meetings regularly, sharing my story, talking about the problems I faced along the way and helping others. As I began to become more involved and put as much energy into my recovery as I did drinking and using, I soon began to leave meetings feeling better. No longer was I leaving grumpy and dissatisfied with life, but I was happy. Something was working. Am I giving of myself, my time, energy and effort at meetings?

I remember building “forts” as a child. Sometimes I made them with an old blanket that I draped over a table. Later I made them out of sticks and limbs I found in to forest. Inside my fort I always felt safe. The program is a lot like that. If we build a secure foundation, strong walls and a roof that doesn’t leak, we feel safe. Through active participation at meetings, talking with a sponsor and listening to the winners, I found the building blocks to help me feel safe in recovery. Real security came with knowing that as long as I remained active in the fellowship and worked the steps, I would find that the promises were there for me. Am I working to make my recovery secure?

God,

Today show me the building blocks I need to use in my life. Help me to have faith that You will guide my steps. Let me listen to Your directions along the way. Let me experience the miracle of life today.

Amen.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:08 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 12

Wisdom for Today

It took me a while to understand that I came into the Twelve Step program, not to learn how to stop drinking and using, but to learn a new way of living. I had quit dozens of times but could not figure out how to stay “quit.” The Twelve Step program was not going to teach me how to quit. It would, however, teach me how to stay clean and sober. I had to stop lying to others and myself about my disease. I had to learn to rely on a Power greater than myself. I had to change my lifestyle, my thinking and my behavior.

I did not learn this by going to just a few meetings. I had to go to meetings frequently at first. I needed to do this not only to learn a new way of living but also because I needed time just to let my brain come out of the fog. I generally do not go to meetings as often anymore, but I still increase the frequency of my meetings when I need to do so. I am not advocating going to meetings infrequently, but using meetings effectively. I also urge all addicts to do something each and every day to support recovery. Step work, daily readings, prayer and meditation, talking with your sponsor are just a few of the options. Am I willing to invest in my recovery each and every day?

I want my will to be in line with my Higher Power. I want to be on a parallel track and to follow His will for me in all that I do. I want to be happy and healthy again. In order to do this, I need to set my thinking and desires on a different path. I must be willing and open to follow the suggestions of the program. I need to “come to believe” that God can and will do for me that which I cannot do by myself. Am I willing to do that which will help and not hinder my spiritual growth?

God,

Today help me not to be a block to my recovery but to be willing to do what is necessary for my spiritual growth. Help me to believe that You can and will do for me that which I cannot do on my own. Help me to be willing to invest in my recovery today and everyday. Give me an attitude of gratitude today.

Amen.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:09 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 13

Wisdom for Today

I want it now. These words are familiar to all addicts and alcoholics. Early in my recovery process I struggled a lot with impatience. I wanted everything to return to “normal” now. But the reality is that a new life cannot be built overnight. It takes time. It takes work, and it takes patience. Just because I was clean and sober did not necessarily mean that my addictive thinking stopped. Learning to think and do recovery takes time. It has to be practiced. It is too easy to get back into our old ways of thinking and behavior. That is why we must practice. Building a new life takes time, but it can be done if we follow the suggestions of the program. Am I practicing clean and sober thinking?

Faith is a gift from our Higher Power. In response to our prayers, we are given this gift. Faith and hope come from our willingness to trust God and the program. If I keep doing what I need to do each day, and if I practice the principles of the program, I receive these gifts. This does not mean I won’t have struggles or problems along the way. We will always have problems. It does mean that I will find the strength and the wisdom along the way to deal with these problems in recovery. The more faith I have the easier life becomes. Am I willing to pray for a stronger faith?

God,

Today I need your help just as I do every other day. Walk with and give me the gift of faith. Strengthen me for the times I struggle and help me to think with a clear mind.

Amen.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:09 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 14

Wisdom for Today

As I have walked through life in the program, I have learned many things. Perhaps one of the more important things that I have learned is that there are two kinds of Wisdom. There is spiritual wisdom. This is the wisdom we gain when we seek to improve our conscious contact with God and His will for us. Learning to recognize that God is active in our lives and that He gives us direction is also a part of this wisdom.

Secondly, there is practical wisdom. This is the wisdom regarding the choices we make regarding our behavior. Practical wisdom tells us not to drink or use that which is poison to our lives. Practical wisdom tells us what is healthy. Practical wisdom pushes us to care for ourselves.

I have so many choices. What is the next right thing to do? Which way do I turn? Whom can I turn to for help? When should I proceed? Where should I go? This is where the wisdom, both spiritual and practical, comes into play. What questions do I have in my life today that need answers? Am I seeking wisdom in my search for answers and direction? Do I trust the answers that I get?

God, I know that you are willing to guide me along the path of recovery. Help me to listen for direction. Bring people into my life that can teach me the wisdom of the program. Grant that the choices I make lead me in a healthy direction.

Amen.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:10 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

September 15

Wisdom for Today

At first it was so much fun. It was exciting, and I was on top of the world. But over time as my drinking and drug use progressed, I began to experience more and more problems. For a long time I could explain away the problems, or I could blame the problems on something other than my use. My dependence on drugs and alcohol became more and more evident as the consequences provided more and more evidence that I had a problem. Despite all this, I kept on going; and my use became an obsession. I had lost all control.

In the Twelve Step program, I had to face the truth; I was addicted. I stopped drinking and using, yet my life did not return to immediate happiness. Just because I had stopped using didn't mean my problems disappeared. I still had much to change. This is where the steps and guidance from those people who had been there helped. Little by little I changed. Today I know I still have work to do. Recovery continues one day at a time. Am I willing to use the steps and the fellowship to help me change the things I can?

Today I will be calm and know that each day presents new challenges and new rewards. I will be calm because I know and trust that the promises are real and that I can have each of them if I do the work and follow my Higher Power's direction. Sometimes I hear people say that God is in the driver’s seat. I don't follow that logic. I am the one who has to walk the walk. I am the one who must be responsible for my recovery. I am the one that needs to be in the driver's seat. But I do want God to read the road map and show me the way. Am I doing all that I must do to be responsible for my recovery? Do I ask God for direction along the way?

God,

Today help me to stay focused on the tasks at hand. Encourage me to follow the steps to recovery. Tell me when to turn and when to stop. Let me know if I need to take an alternate route. Give me the patience not to get frustrated with the process, and help me to trust that You are always there to help me when I need it.

Amen.
Post New ThreadReply