Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 05-25-2014, 06:26 AM   #31
yukonm
Administrator

May 25

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

So our rule is not to avoid a place where there is drinking, IF WE HAVE A LEGITIMATE REASON FOR BEING THERE. That includes bars, nightclubs, dances, receptions, weddings, even plain ordinary whoopee parties. To a person who has had experience with an alcoholic, this may seem like tempting Providence, but it isn't.

You will note that we made an important qualification. Therefore, ask yourself on each occasion, 'Have I any good social, business, or personal reason for going to this place? Or am I expecting to steal a little vicarious pleasure from the atmosphere of such places?' If you answer these questions satisfactorily, you need have no apprehension. Go or stay away, whichever seems best. But be sure you are on solid spiritual ground before you start and that your motive in going is thoroughly good. Do not think of what you will get out of the occasion. Think of what you can bring to it. But if you are shaky, you had better work with another alcoholic instead! - Pgs. 101-102 - Working With Others

Hour To Hour - Book - Quote

When there is no way to get away from us, when we can't get high enough to turn off the pain anymore, when we are worried and confused, then maybe it is time to try another way.

Right now I surrender to another way. Right now I will not get high and will walk this new road.

Fear

Today, I allow myself to experience my fears as fears, and not dictate or color my life circumstances because of them. They are real, and it is understandable that I have them. Healing mobilizes my deep fears, and they come up more intensely than ever. This is a part of my process of growth, and growth is not neat and tidy. When I am very afraid, I will comfort myself or seek comfort from someone else. I will understand that I am afraid and that even though I fear the worst, the worst will not necessarily happen. My feelings feel very powerful inside me, particularly when they have been repressed and are surfacing after many years, but they are not facts. I can survive my fears and understand that they will pass.

- Tian Dayton PhD

Pocket Sponsor - Book - Quote

One thing recovery teaches us, is that you can keep going long after you think you can't. This is because you are stronger than you think. You have the accumulated strength of millions of clean and sober Twelve-Step members to bolster you.

I keep on keep'n on; I keep on trudging.

"Walk Softly and Carry a Big Book" - Book

Criticism and finding fault are not spiritual gifts.

Time for Joy - Book - Quote

I celebrate myself today. I am alive. I am growing. I am willing to do all I am able to do to be the best of who I am.

Alkiespeak - Book - Quote

I agree with the first speaker in that any answer you may want may be in the Big Book but sometimes the book may send you outside of AA to get the things you need to survive here. - Bob E.

One Day At A Time

yukonm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yukonm For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #32
yukonm
Administrator

May 26

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

What used to be the hunch or the occasional inspiration gradually becomes a working part of the mind. Being still inexperienced and having just made conscious contact with God, it is not probable that we are goint to be inspired at all times. We might pay for this presumption in all sorts of absurd actions and ideas. Nevertheless, we find that our thinking will, as time passes, be more and more on the plane of inspiration. We come to rely upon it. - Pg. 87 - Into Action

The most basic thing you can do right now is to understand the basics. Don't drink, pop pills, shoot dope, snort coke, smoke crack AND listen to the people you came to for help.

My Divine Source aids me in putting everything in perspective this hour--the basics are: don't use and listen!

Fear of Change

Today, I am able to live with my fear that I will not like myself or those close to me if we change. Change is threatening, and healing and growing include change. It doesn't matter to my fearful self if the change is for the better or worse. In fact, change for the better can sometimes be even more threatening. I fear that I will not know how to act or have the tools to be with the 'better' without smearing my disease all over it. I remind myself today, again, that I do not have to grow perfectly. This is not an easy road, but the gains are so apparent that I will have faith that my tough times will come to an end.

- Tian Dayton PhD

Relief Lies in Two Four Letter Words that Begin with F: Steps Four and Five. (P 29, Young, Sober, & Free)

I Uncover to Recover in Four and Five.

Sobriety is not a dress rehearsal.

Today I know I'm being guided and protected by a power greater than myself. I look forward to the unknown around the next bend in the road, the adventure over the next hill.

I try never to underestimate the destructive power of alcoholism. Or the healing power of Alcoholics Anonymous. - Trip S.

One Day At A Time

Old 05-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #33
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:

Sobriety is not a dress rehearsal.
Don't remember hearing this before. I don't get to start again in the same place. This is a progressive disease. I hate to think of what it would be like if I relapsed at 22 years sober. I don't think I would live to make it back. Using has never been an option since I came into the program in 1991.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing:
Old 05-27-2014, 07:35 AM   #34
yukonm
Administrator

May 27

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Many alcoholics are enthusiasts. They run to extremes. At the beginning of recovery a man will take, as a rule, one of two directions. He may either plunge into a frantic attempt to get on his feet in business, or he may be so enthralled by his new life that he talks or thinks of little else. In either case certain family problems arise. With these we have had experience galore. - Pgs. 125-126 - The Family Afterward

If we can meditate at first, good. If we can pray, good. But if we can't, we mustn't worry. Discipline and dedication will come later. They are not great virtues of addicts. In the meantime we must attend meetings daily, find a sponsor, use professional help if its available and don't take that first fix, pill, drink, smoke, or snort.

May I not get down on myself for not doing everything people tell me I should. I need only go to meetings and stay clean and sober right now.

Acting As If

There will be times when I do not feel up to things, when there seems to be too big a gap between who I think I am and who I want to be. I believe in being true to myself, in being basically honest. When I first try something new, it may feel as if I am trying on an article of clothing that doesn't quite suit me. But there is nothing wrong with acting 'as if.' I may need to practice new behaviors in order to become comfortable with them. Sometimes, when I allow myself to act 'as if,' the old me sort of falls away and makes room for something new. Children do this all the time, trying on different roles and playing with them. There is no reason to commit myself to a limited view of who I am.

- Tian Dayton PhD

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

My sponsor's mistakes become my gifts when I listen.

We're not against alcohol, we're for sobriety.

I will take all the time I need to keep in touch with my Higher Power today. Meditation slows me down and brings me peace whenever I choose.

I was always trying to find a balance between being a doormat or a bulldozer. - Bea M.

One Day At A Time

Old 05-28-2014, 07:24 AM   #35
yukonm
Administrator

May 28

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

I do not hold with those who believe that alcoholism is entirely a problem of the mental control. I have had many men who had, for example, worked a period of months on some problem or business deal which was to be settled on a certain date, favorably to them. They took a drink a day or so prior to the date, and the phenomenon of craving at once became paramount to all other interests so that the important appointment was not met. These men were not drinking to escape; they were drinking to overcome a craving beyond their mental control. - Pgs. xxix-xxx - 4th. Edition - The Doctors Opinion

We all share fear. Fear is at the root of our illness. The conquest of fear is the greatest labor of the newly sober.

I offer my fear to my Higher Power, God as I understand You.

I Am Not Alone

Today, I know that, with God's help, I can do anything I need to do. When I feel alone or shaken up, I can ask for help within myself and know that it is there. Each of us is ultimately alone. Each of us has to learn our own lessons; that is, what we are here to do. We can't learn anyone else's lessons for them, and learning our own is difficult enough. To plow through my own psyche and face the insecurity and wounds that are there is all that I can handle. To try to live other people's lives for them is to separate myself from God because my first access to God is through and within me.

- Tian Dayton PhD

Living life on life's terms,' just what does this mean to us? It doesn't mean we will get a brownie button for every day we stay abstinent. It simply means life can be tough and we can stay sober if we chose to live by principle.

'Don't you worry none, just take it like it comes, one day at a time.' Song, One Day at a Time

Religion is for those who want life after death. Spirituality is for those who want life BEFORE death!

Nothing can stop me from feeling wonderful today. I am filled with all the wonder and splendor of the universe and I pass these on to everyone I meet.

When I look back over my childhood, all I really remember is...Me. - Bob D.

One Day At A Time

Old 05-29-2014, 07:47 AM   #36
yukonm
Administrator

May 29

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

I saw that my friend was much more than inwardly reorganized. He was on a different footing. His roots grasped a new soil.

Despite the living example of my friend there remained in me the vestiges of my old prejudice. The word God still aroused a certain antipathy. When the thought was expressed that there might be a God personal to me this feeling was intensified. I didn't like the idea. I could go for such conceptions as Creative Intelligence, Universal Mind or Spirit of Nature but I resisted the thought of a Czar of the Heavens, however loving His sway might be. I have since talked with scores of men who felt the same way.

My friend suggested what then seemed a novel idea. He said, 'WHY DON'T YOU CHOOSE YOUR OWN CONCEPTION OF GOD?' - Pgs. 11-12 - Bill's Story

We often feel tremendous remorse for transgressions of the past. Today, now, we can stay clean, stay sober, stay drug free. This is the beginning. Later in our program, we will work steps to neutralize our transgressions. But right now, we must heal our bodies first.

God, as I understand You, keep me clean and sober, now.

Lesson and Life

I recognize today that I am in charge of my own learning. Life is constantly offering up circumstances that are useful in my personal growth. I can move through the situation, live it out, extract the wisdom that is in it or repeat it over and over again, exhausting myself and learning very little. The deepest and most appropriate things I need to learn in life are generally right in front of me. Life is my guru if I can use it as such. It is rich with subtle learning if I look for it. The real achievement for me today is to learn to be in my own skin, to see truth in all that surrounds me, to know that placing value and judgment is pointless and illusory -- all of life is valuable.

- Tian Dayton PhD

Anger is not a solution.

Today I will be gentle with myself as I meditate and look within. I will look at my inner self lovingly and without judgement as I find the blocks that have kept me stuck.

I started my next big quest to avoid being an alcoholic; My first was self-knowledge, with therapy, now I began the quest of self-will. I drank 'til I didn't want to be a drunk, I overcame my drink problem with marijuana, I was victorious over marijuana with pills, I triumphed over pills with cocaine and then I drank until I didn't want to be a drunk. I swapped addictions and I used self-will to avoid catching alcoholism. - Scott R.

One Day At A Time

Old 05-30-2014, 09:21 AM   #37
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

It boils right down to this: No man should be fired just because he is alcoholic. If he wants to stop, he should be afforded a real chance. If he cannot or does not want to stop, he should be discharged. The exceptions are few.

We think this method of approach will accomplish several things. It will permit the rehabilitation of good men. At the same time you will feel no reluctance to rid yourself of those who cannot or will not stop. - Pg. 148 - To Employers

As your are welcomed, you must welcome other addicts seeking help. Find someone today to share with. Remember: we teach best what we most need to learn. Sharing is the most important principle our program is built on and we begin every day on this principle.

God, as I understand You, help me begin this day by sharing what I've learned up to now. May everyday in my sobriety include sharing.

Tian Dayton, PhD. - Book Quotes - Emotional Sobriety

Amends

Today, I am willing for healing to take place in ruptured relationships. I have been doing the best that I can. My acknowledgement that I may have hurt someone else does not diminish me. I have also been hurt, and I extend the same understanding to myself that I do to others. We have all been doing the best that we knew how with the awareness we had to work with. My willingness to make amends speaks to my spiritual growth and desire for honesty. Making amends to others sets things straight with myself. My self-respect is growing to the extent that I am no longer comfortable with unfinished business. I will finish up my side for my own self and allow the rest to be where it is. It is for myself that I forgive; I do not need to control the result.

- Tian Dayton PhD

Misc. AA Literature - Quote

Meditation is something which can always be further developed. It has no boundaries, of width or height or depth. Aided by such instruction and example as we can find, it is essentially an individual adventure, something which each one of us works out in his own way. But its object is always the same: to improve our conscious contact with God, with His grace, wisdom, and love.
And let's always remember that meditation is in reality intensely practical. One of its first fruits is emotional balance. With it we can broaden and deepen the channel between ourselves and God as we understand Him.

Although loving and being loved is an important aspect of balance in our lives�relationships are never the solution to drinking and other drug taking. We sometimes focus on the strong emotion of love from another rather than face loving ourselves by working the program.

Today I 'act as if� I am worth loving.

From "Walk Softly and Carry a Big Book" - Book

All it takes to start a new meeting is a resentment and a coffeepot.

Alkie Speaks - Archives

If you want to quit drinking, you are going to have to quit drinking. - Mary G.

I can't do His will my way. - Mary G.

An alcoholic is a person who wants to be held while he's isolating. - Mary G.

Alkie Speaks

I am still not everything I want to be.... but thank God I am not what I use to be! ( Johnna C.)

Time for Joy

I accept myself today and am grateful that I can grow from where I am. As I bring more and more love to myself, I continue to blossom and expand, growing to be the best of who I can be.

Did a search and it brought me to a site I use to post on. It was dated April 1st, 2011 my birthday.

Joy Quotes"

Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.
Joseph Campbell

Not sure if this is the right link, but liked what it has to say.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:57 AM   #38
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

The less people tolerated us, the more we withdrew from society, from life itself. As we became subjects of King Alcohol, shivering denizens of his mad realm, the chilling vapor that is loneliness settled down. It thickened, ever becoming blacker. Some of us sought out sordid places, hoping to find understanding companionship and approval. Momentarily we did - then would come oblivion and the awful awakening to face the hideous Four Horsemen - Terror, Bewilderment, Frustration, Despair. Unhappy drinkers who read this page will understand! - Pg. 151 - A Vision For You

=====

Often times late at night, we fear that someone might break in, spirits might invade our body, or that our heart may stop beating. At these times we must turn to our Higher Power, surrender our fears and our fate. In that surrender, we cease struggling, cease fear.

In order for my Spiritual Source to guide me, I cease struggling ( which means getting my will for me ) and surrender my fear and my fate.

=====

Owning My Own Anger Responsibly

Today, I am willing to take responsibility for the anger that I carry within me. I am not a bad person because I feel angry. No one wants to think of himself or herself as an angry person, and I am no exception. But when I refuse to acknowledge the anger and resentment that I have stored within me, (1) I turn my back on me and refuse to accept a very important part of myself, and (2) I ask the people close to me to hold my feelings for me, to be the containers of my unconscious or the feelings inside me that I do not wish to see. Because I deny my anger to myself does not mean that it goes away. Today, I am willing to consider that there might be something more to it, that I may be carrying feelings of anger that I need to accept.

- Tian Dayton PhD

=====

Member Submitted Quotes

Blaming keeps you helpless! ( Pandora )

=====

Misc. AA Literature - Quote

The moment we ponder a twisted or broken relationship with another person, our emotions go on the defensive. To escape looking at the wrongs we have done another, we resentfully focus on the wrong he has done us. Triumphantly we seize upon his slightest misbehavior as the perfect excuse for minimizing or forgetting our own.
Right here we need to fetch ourselves up sharply. Let's remember that alcoholics are not the only ones bedeviled by sick emotions. In many instances we are really dealing with fellow sufferers, people whose woes we have increased.
If we are about to ask forgiveness for ourselves, why shouldn't we start out by forgiving them, one and all?

=====

It's not your Higher Power's Will that makes you miserable. It's your resistance to HP's Will that causes the damage. Turning it over will set you right again.

God's will is when I turn it over. Self-will is when I've over turned it.

=====

From "Walk Softly and Carry a Big Book" - Book

Law of Sobriety: You can't fall off the floor.

=====

From Archives:

First we put down the anesthesia; then we operate. - Renee M.

I sum up Step 3 as "Fire myself, hire GOD". - Renee M.

Put down the food and pick up the program. - Renee M.

The longer a burden is carried, the heavier it gets - so TODAY - I choose to live a life of serenity and not a life of regrets...

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Post New ThreadReply