Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-18-2016, 05:28 AM   #20
bluidkiti
Administrator

December 19

Step by Step

Today, “Keep It Simple,: I won’t fight myself, anyone or anything so I can reach one of the program’s most cherished prizes: serenity. Instead, I will simply close my mind to the complications of the issues in my life and simply be. I will not focus on reaching the forest without first negotiating the trees, and I will not complicate how to get beyond the trees. I will simply move forward after first doing my best and trusting my Higher Power. If someone tells me the way to sobriety is to stop drinking, I’ll not pollute the answer with complications that make abstinence difficult. I will simply stop. If I have an amend to make, I will not complicate it by predicting or anticipating open arms or rejection; they are beyond my control. I will simply make amends and leave it to the other person and my Higher Power. Today, no complications, no “how’s,” “where’s” or “wherefore’s.” I’ll simply do it. And our common journey continues. Step by step. – Chris M.

~ A YEAR OF MIRACLES ~ (Meditations Written by Members of Nicotine Anonymous) ~

Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.

~ SAMUEL BUTLER ~

I have felt incomplete most of my life, always in the process of learning and growing, struggling for the day when I would be good enough. I felt like there was a true me hiding in the depths.

I am reminded of the story of Alfred Wallace the naturalist who could no longer bear to watch the struggle of a moth trying to break out of the cocoon so he gently split the cocoon with a knife, only to watch the moth die because it had not developed the strength it needed to live.

When the caterpillar is crawling around it is fully itself, not just a moth in waiting. Later as a chrysalis in the cocoon it is still perfectly the creature it is meant to be.

The quiet child of my past was fully and truly me, the person I needed to have the experiences to develop into the person I am today. Unlike the caterpillar, I can imagine who I might be in the future. That does not mean who I am today is not whole and complete.

Today, I will learn from the caterpillar to love myself in every stage of my being.

~ EASY DOES IT ~ (A Book of Daily 12 Step Meditations) ~

THE STEPS

There are 12 Steps in the ladder to continued recovery.

~ Anonymous ~

Is there such a thing as “partial recovery”? Can a person work just a few Steps and leave the rest? Can we just “sort of’ do a Fourth Step, like in our minds? Do we really have to write it down as we are instructed? Can we do our Fifth Step with our dog or cat or a favorite tree?

Can we make an amend just in our minds? Can we ask someone to make an amend for us? A person we can’t stand has asked us to be their sponsor. Can we say no? We feel much better about our lives now that we are in recovery, but we really can’t do some of these Steps because they’re too hard.

I have heard such questions and listened to such declarations. I know the facts are quite simple. Those that didn’t work all the Steps DIDN’T make it. Those that do work all the Steps DO make it.

~ WISDOM TO KNOW ~ (More Daily Meditations For Men) ~

Everybody kind of perceives me as being angry. It’s not anger, it’s motivation.

~ Roger Clemens ~

Anger is not a threat to our recovery, but our failure to channel it and use it well is. Some things deserve anger and should be our targets. Injustice and disrespect to our fellow human beings is a prime example. Out-of-control anger, however, does not serve anyone well.

We can achieve greater peace of mind when we learn to manage our anger rather than hide it. When we learn to focus our anger at worthy targets and express it clearly and directly, without stooping to abusive language or threats, we become much more effective men. That way, anger can be a constructive source of energy and we can hope to resolve it and make things better. We are learning to take our own inventories and to be honest with ourselves about all of our feelings.

Today I will examine myself for my angry feelings and make wise choices about how to manage them.

~ A WOMAN’S SPIRIT ~ (More Meditations For Women) ~

No iron bars can hold a bad relationship together. If it is good, a gossamer thread suffices.

~ Jan Pishok ~

We aren’t fooled into believing a bad relationship is good. However, we may stay far too long, unwilling to leave it. Why is it so hard to close some doors?

We may have been taught to deny our pain. When we acknowledge the hurt or anger that results from any relationship, action becomes necessary. Making a change, perhaps deciding to leave, is never easy. But what a shame it is to stay in a relationship that no longer nurtures us. Why do we do it? For many, it’s the fear of the unknown. We have learned to tolerate the pain. We have this program, and using it—particularly our sponsors and the Steps—will give us the courage to do what we need to do for ourselves. But we must make the first move.

If I am not happy in a relationship today, I will use the tools of the program to sort out my options.

~ TODAY I WILL DO ONE THING ~ (Daily Readings for Awareness and Hope) ~

I am slowly accepting my need for medication

When my therapist first suggested it, I rejected the idea of taking psychiatric medication. I didn’t want to feel weak by using a drug to handle an emotional problem. I didn’t want to feel like I was “crazy.” I got angry at her for merely suggesting it.

It wasn’t easy to face, but eventually it all became clear to me: I’ve tried hard, but I can no longer handle my symptoms on my own. In fact, I am tired of trying. But I don’t want to feel weak, ill, and ashamed. Maybe I can look at taking a psychiatric medication like taking a medication for any illness I might experience.

I will go for the medication assessment and fill the prescription if one is given.

~ BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT ~ (Inspiration and Support for Recovery) ~

For what is faith unless it is to believe what you do not see?

~ St. Augustine ~

Faith is one of life’s intangibles that fires our recovery. Faith is trusting in what we cannot see, what we cannot yet feel, what we cannot yet even envision.

When we were drinking or using, most of us believed in nothing we could not sense. Little by little, because our belief in ourselves was so uncertain, our world grew smaller. We had shrunk in fear.

Now our world is expanding again. Step by step we venture out from behind the walls, some of us only in broad daylight, others taking the proverbial step in the dark. Our faith means we trust the process of recovery, that we trust ourselves just a little, that we trust God. Faith gives us everything to live for — because it gives us hope.

Today give me faith in what I cannot see, in what I can’t yet know.

~ MORNING LIGHT ~ (Meditations to Begin Your Day) ~

If you value the pursuit of knowledge, we must be free to follow wherever that search may lead us.

~ Adlat E. Stevenson, Jr. ~

Highway signs provide valuable information about what lies ahead. They designate the route on which you are traveling, the posted speed limit, exits, and mile markers. Without signs to guide your travels, it would be easy to get lost.

The road to recovery is similarly filled with multiple “signs” that provide you with information so you can more fully develop your knowledge about addiction and the effects it has had upon your life. The Twelve Steps, for example, comprise valuable “mile markers” that en-able you to see the progress you are making and, as well, the focus and work that lies ahead. The Big Book can be viewed as an inspirational atlas that conveys the journeys others have taken and the obstacles they have overcome to gain a new way of life.

Each day in sobriety represents a time in which you can increase your mileage in the program. Every meeting you attend enriches your knowledge and understanding about recovery as others share their experiences. Each time you pray brings you closer to your Higher Power and a spiritual awakening.

I welcome the signposts in my recovery and the knowledge they bring me.

~ NIGHT LIGHT ~ (A Book Of Nighttime Meditations) ~

What is the source of our first suffering? It is in the fact that we hesitated to speak It was born in the moments when we accumulated silent things within us.

~ Gaston Bachelord ~

We may have learned while growing up that it was easier not to communicate. We may have remained silent rather than risk an argument or a reprimand or a misunderstanding. But as adults, we need to unlearn that behavior and learn to give voice to the muted feelings, thoughts, ideas, and grievances within us.

We first need to risk breaking silence, for the silences we hold within us are like cancers. For as long as we ignore them, they will continue to grow and we will suffer. But if we strive to remove them—one at a time—we will become cleansed of their ill effects.

We may discover things we wanted to say, but didn’t. We can prevent these silences from growing by taking positive action. There are those who will listen to us—our Higher Power, a trusted friend, a meeting group. But it is up to us to take the first step. 

Now is the time to give voice to our inner silences.

~ DAY BY DAY ~ (Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts) ~

Expressing soul

Knowledge and understanding alone do not lead us to the new life. If that were the case, psychiatrists and psychologists would have better success rates with us. So what is the source of our success in finding our paths? It’s our ability to follow our Higher Power’s cues. It’s being tuned in enough to feel and to act on the opportunities our Higher Power presents to us each day.

What comes from the soul originates from the Higher Power. Let us follow the prompting of our soul, so we may better learn what it means to live in the glory of our Higher Power. Acknowledging our Higher Power and applying what we learn from it is what makes us successful.

How well do I express my soul?

Higher Power, through the power you have given me, may I make known your beauty and love to others.

Today I will follow my Higher Power by

God help me to stay clean and sober today!

~ IF YOU WANT WHAT WE HAVE ~ (Sponsorship Meditations) ~

Never defend.

~ SHEILA GRAHAM ~

Newcomer

I talked with a family member recently who asked, “Are you still going to those meetings?” The tone of the question seemed to imply that there was something wrong with me for continuing to go.

Sponsor

We’re not in recovery in order to get understanding and approval from our families and old friends; we’re here to treat our addictions—and to save our lives. Nevertheless, it can feel painful when a nonaddict, or an addict who hasn’t found recovery, seems critical of what we’ve come to understand as essential to our health and well-being.

We don’t have to engage in explaining or defending our recovery. A smile and a simple answer are enough. If we wish, we can make an “I am” statement, such as, “Yes, I’m lucky that there are so many meetings to choose from, and that such good people go to them.” Or, “Yes, it gets even better as time goes on.”

Trying to explain to someone who is expressing hostility toward the program or toward us isn’t likely to further our recovery or anyone else’s—and it can lead to frustration and anger. I’ve learned, in recovery, to detach gently from any invitations to debate about this program. It’s not debatable.

Today, my wholehearted acceptance of recovery keeps me from engaging in arguments about it.

~ THE EYE OPENER ~

It is very difficult for an alcoholic to remain sober in continued idleness, and this lesson has been learned the hard way by too many who have tried it.

It is also possible to overwork to the point where we think we need a stimulant to keep going.

There is a big difference between resting time and idle time. Rest is nec-essary, but that does not imply that resting time is idle time. A hobby, as an illustration, may be restful and yet be strenuous. Some of us have been so exhausted from our daily work that attendance at AA meetings was dreaded, yet we forced ourselves to go and the diversion caused us to leave the meeting rested and refreshed.

~ WALK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG BOOK ~ (Official & Unofficial Sloganeering From the 12 Step Programs) ~

1) STANDARD ACRONYMS: YET: You’ll End There

2) Al-Anon: Learn the difference between being responsible to others and being responsible for others.

3) Drink(ing,): Everything is either a step toward a drink or a step away.

by Shelly Marshall

~ The 12 STEP PRAYER BOOK ~ (A Collection of Favorite 12 Step Prayers and Inspirational Readings) ~

Thank You for Today

Good night, Lord.
Thank You for today, for my sanity, my life,

for the people surrounding me, for fellowship
and my recovery.

Tonight, I also pray for the addicts who still suffer.

I pray that You relieve their suffering if only for
a moment, a moment that may bring them closer
to You and recovery.

I look forward to tomorrow and another

day of sobriety.

~ AROUND THE YEAR WITH EMMET FOX ~ (A Book of Daily Readings) ~

THE DEVIL’S LAST DITCH

When you have driven the devil out of every other corner of your heart, his last refuge is to take shelter in negative analysis. He will say, “You prayed before and nothing happened,” or, “You have been praying so long for that… “Or perhaps he will say, “There is no way that it can come about.”

When this kind of thing comes into your thought, do not be discouraged but rather rejoice, for this means that satan is positively in his very last ditch, and now is the time to clear him out; and if you will be loyal to God it will not be difficult. Now is the time to know the Truth quietly, and to hold to it in spite of false appearances. Now is the time to witness to the faith that is in you. No finer opportunity for a great step forward spiritually can ever come to you than this one. So take advantage of it and rejoice in your good fortune.

It is not when things are going well that we make our progress. It is not even when things are going wrong and yet we feel sure that we can handle them with prayer, that we advance. it is when, smitten by the temptation to discouragement or even despair, we yet stand for what we know is the Truth, and say with Job, Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him (Job 13:15).

~ A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE ~ (365 Daily Inspirations for Heart-Centered Living) ~

Let’s Dig Here

And a little child shall lead them.

~ Isaiah 11:16 ~

One morning Jeanine’s eight-year-old son informed her, “Last night in a dream, I found a whole dinosaur under the earth and we dug it up. I know where it is; will you take me there?”

“Maybe next summer,” Mom tried to put him off. But when David kept asking her to take him to the site he described, Jeanine decided this would be a good opportunity to take a family trip, and agreed. David was elated, hoping he might someday meet world-famous paleontologist Mark Thurston. When Jeanine, David, and his younger brother arrived at the state park, David pointed, “It’s over there.”

The family trekked to the area, and to assuage David’s eagerness, they began to dig. Before long, one of them found an unusual bone, then another, then another. Jeanine took the bones to the University of Idaho, where a scientist confirmed that these were indeed the bones of a dinosaur. The professor showed the bones to none other than Mark Thurston, who just happened to be visiting the college, and a team was dispatched to investigate. To everyone’s astonishment, they unearthed the skeleton of an entire dinosaur and made history by finding the first fully intact Albertasaurus.

After the find, Thurston told David, “You come see me when you’re ready for college; I’ll put you to work for me.” Jeanine sent me several newspaper clippings and told me that Disney Studios had approached her to do a feature on the story.

We must pay attention to our dreams—not just our sleeping dreams, but the visions and insights that touch us in our waking hours. Spirit is always trying to communicate with us, offering us wisdom to bring us the happiness and success we desire. Our role is to keep our antennae up and trust our guidance.

I pray to be an open channel to receive Your loving messages.

Spirit is using me to do great things.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply