Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #28
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 28

Wisdom for Today
My first twelve step call was quite a learning experience. I got a call from my sponsor, who asked me if I was up for a road trip. Knowing that my sponsor always was looking for ways to help me get better, I said sure. Minutes latter I was in his car and on my way to talk with someone who probably needed the program. My sponsor had gotten the call from a family friend. We arrived at the home and rang the doorbell. A woman answered the door and showed us to the bedroom. Inside was a man who was crying and swearing. It was clear that he was unhappy. His wife introduced my sponsor, and he in turn introduced me. We sat on the floor near the bed and my sponsor began to speak. He talked for about a half hour of his trials with alcohol. Then he looked at me and without saying a word I knew he wanted me to tell my story. Before I even had the first word out of my mouth, the man said, "What am I supposed to do?"
My sponsor again looked at me. Here I was, and I had no idea what I was to say. I began by talking about what had worked for me. I talked of the struggles I had and the triumph I had experienced in the program. Somehow, I knew I was not to label this man an alcoholic; he would need to decide this on his own. I saw the beads of sweat on his forehead and the trembling of his hands, but this was a question he would need to ask himself. His tears continued, and he said, "I'll do anything." Moments later we were in the car on the way to the hospital. My sponsor and I visited him every day while he was in detox. Weeks later, when he was done with rehab, we picked him up and drove him home. He still comes to meetings today. My sponsor and I talked about this experience several times. I learned that we carried a message, but it was up to this man to accept what had been said. This experience still is strong in my memory and so is the help that I received in taking part in this process. Am I willing to carry the message without passing judgment?
Meditations for the Heart
It would be so easy to criticize, judge, or even blame when talking with others; but we cannot give any credence to these thoughts. Instead we must control these thoughts and instead trust our Higher Power to give us the words that are needed. Having a firm foundation spiritually is what is needed when staring addiction in the face. Remembering who we are and what has happened to us is important, but we also cannot forget that our experiences in recovery are all a gift. It did not happen because we regained self-control. We listen to the person, but we do not allow ourselves to get wrapped up in his or her denial. We do not let ourselves get wrapped up in our own emotions. Instead, we simply let God work through us to carry the message of recovery. In this way we carry a message of hope. Do I know that my Higher Power will be with me on any twelve step call I make?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
You choose me to carry the message; let me choose You when I go to deliver hope. Help me to let go of my own issues and only provide Your message given me in this program. Today, I do not know whether or not this opportunity will present itself; but should the opportunity arise, let me accept this willingly. Walk with me this day, and provide guidance for each step I take.
Amen
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Post New ThreadReply