Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-26-2016, 07:31 AM   #26
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 26

Step by Step

" ...We realized that the people who wronged us were perhaps spiritually sick. Though we did not like their symptoms and the way these disturbed us, they, like ourselves, were sick too. We asked God to help us show them the same tolerance, pity and patience that we would cheerfully grant a sick friend." - Alcoholics Anonymous, 3rd Edition, 1976, Ch 5, pp 66-7.

Today, let go of resentments and other ill feelings I might harbor for someone else. I cannot justify anger and anything else bad against anyone if I hope or expect no one to have such feelings toward me. If I claim spiritual disease as the root of my own misconduct, I have to allow the same to those who have offended me. While I might never grow to like the person I believe has offended me, rightfully or not, I cannot work toward revenge or hopes that something bad befalls that other person. Today, as I hope no one wishes me ill, I cannot justify hoping the worst for someone else. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M.

~ EASY DOES IT ~ (A Book of Daily 12 Step Meditations) ~

CHARACTER

Fame is what you have taken. Character is what you give. When to this truth you awaken, then you begin to live.

~ Bayard Taylor ~

Longtimers continually tell newcomers to strive to build a strong character for use in facing the world’s realities. Sometimes they leave the impression that character is what others think about us. But the opinion others have about us is not important. Character is what we are, not what others think we are.

We are not born with character. It is developed through patience and much humility. It is what we are in the dark. Our character is revealed by an outer show of an inner glow. It is our reserve force for living. It is more useful than talent and shows itself best during our contact with others.

Today, I’ll remember my character can be a force that respects truth, develops will and spirit, accents positive action, and makes all of these assets evident to other people.

~ WISDOM TO KNOW ~ (More Daily Meditations For Men) ~

Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts.

~ Rachel Carson ~

Where do we turn for contemplation and contact with a spiritual source? Many men find it in nature. They look out the window at a handsome tree. They go for a walk outdoors, feed the birds, let themselves be awed by the sight of the moon on a dark night. The natural world offers our most direct, tangible contact with something eternal. We are part of something much larger than ourselves, something that endures for the ages.

The beauty of nature inspires awe, which is a form of reverence. We walk along a canyon rim and God is there. We walk through prairie grasses and wildflowers teeming with wildlife, the wind blows in our faces, and our spirits rise. These natural beauties endure forever.

Today, as I look at the natural world, I see God.

~ A WOMAN’S SPIRIT ~ (More Meditations For Women) ~

If you have to swallow a toad, don't stare at it too long.

~ Connie Hilliard ~

We have been blessed with a second chance. None of us could have expected to survive had we continued using alcohol and other drugs to excess. We were on a collision course with death, but the grace of God intervened, setting us down on this recovery path. The path continues to feel rocky at times, but we now have tools that promise us smoother traveling. We have to care enough to use them.

Attitude adjustment is a tool whose use we must all begin to master. Before recovery, seldom did we accept turmoil, no matter how minor, with a positive attitude. We were intent on forcing solutions or controlling those we thought we loved. Our failures fueled our drinking. Now our failures fuel our negative attitude. But we can take charge of our attitude. We don’t have to love a circumstance to respond positively to it.

Many things will happen today that I won’t necessarily love. I can accept them and cultivate a peaceful attitude, or I can pout and be miserable. The choice is mine.

~ TODAY I WILL DO ONE THING ~ (Daily Readings for Awareness and Hope) ~

By accepting my past, I accept my present

I grew up in a household dominated by a parent with a severe dual disorder. There was too little security or love or food. I was a child−helpless and stuck.

In recovery from my own dual disorder, I am discovering that while I cannot change the past, I can try to understand it and learn from it. As my past becomes clearer to me, my life−and how I experience it−appear in a new light. For example, I can now re-examine my rigidity, perfectionism, and especially my fear of change. As I accept my past and its lessons, I come to accept my present (and myself) more.

I will ask my counsellor to help me explore my family of origin.

~ BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT ~ (Inspiration and Support for Recovery) ~

Everything’s got a moral if only you can find it.

~ Lewis Caroll ~

We must make many choices in our recovery. Some of these will strengthen our character, for they will be hard to make and sometimes even harder to accept. One of the most meaningful sayings in our program is “Let go and let God.” We understand its true meaning when we are faced with adversity and we feel needlessly hurt.

If we are to let go of a problem, we must feel in our hearts that no matter what the outcome, our Higher Power has a special purpose for us. We may not be able to see that purpose now, but if we let our Higher Power guide us, we will be guided down the right path. If we do our best to detach from our pain and try to see a more peaceful future, we will feel secure in God’s hands. Given this security, we’ll be free to direct our energy toward positive, healthy choices that will bring us more of the happiness we deserve.

Today help me let go and let God, even when it hurts.

~ MORNING LIGHT ~ (Meditations to Begin Your Day) ~

There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature—the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

~ Rachel Carson ~

Imagine opening the morning paper and reading the following headline: Today has been cancelled due to lack of interest. Perhaps you are overjoyed at this headline. You were not looking forward to the day anyway. In fact, you would have preferred to stay in bed.

Now imagine opening the morning paper and reading the following headline: Tomorrow has been cancelled due to lack of interest. Perhaps you really were not looking forward to today, but to think that tomorrow will not come can make you think twice about how you will spend today.

No matter what lies ahead of you today, if you think of it as something you have to endure just so you can get through it, then chances are you will get very little out of it. Even if today were cancelled, you might not miss it. But if you can think of this time as the only time you have— one in which there is no understanding of a tomorrow that has not happened—then you have the opportunity to experience a deep connection with every minute in it.

Today I will connect with everything and everyone around me.

~ NIGHT LIGHT ~ (A Book Of Nighttime Meditations) ~

I think the important thing is caring about someone. It's being by themselves that does people in, makes them old and bitter.

~ Thomas Tryon ~

Isolation is always a choice. We choose the times we wish to be with people and the times we don't. Sometimes we choose to be alone to center ourselves−to “get away from it all." But when we start to spend too much time away from others, it's time to take a look at the reasons for our isolation.

Perhaps we're afraid to take risks with people and expose our vulnerable selves to them. Or maybe we feel people wouldn't really like us if they knew us. We may believe people will only hurt us, and we can look back into our past to recall such times.

But we are different people today. We're involved in a program based on love, trust, faith, and hope. It is a program centered on meetings filled with people caring for one another−exchanging phone numbers, hugging, getting together for coffee, listening, and understanding. It is our choice: isolation or the wonderful benefits of people caring for people.

Do I feel isolated tonight? How can I feel more connected?

~ DAY BY DAY ~ (Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts) ~

Hanging-on days

Some days in this program you just have to “hang on.” Somehow we lose contact with our Higher Power and we don’t feel right about anything. So we need to learn what to do to get reconnected, what to do to feel better.

Pray. Meditate. Keep in touch with fellow addicts and our sponsor. Work the Steps. Hang on. Time will take away most of our fears, but we should expect, and be prepared for, some days of just “hanging on.” The important point is: Do I have something to hang on to?

Higher Power, on those days when I am just hanging on, let me hang on to your love for me.

I will strengthen my hold on sobriety today by

God help me to stay clean and sober today!

~ IF YOU WANT WHAT WE HAVE ~ (Sponsorship Meditations) ~

Loneliness is the most terrible poverty.

~ MOTHER TERESA ~

Newcomer

When I was active, I was sometimes the life of the party, but often I sat on the edges of groups and just couldn’t wait to get home and be alone with my drug of choice. Some-times when I’m at a meeting, I feel the same way: I’m irritated with everyone in the room, antsy, anxious to leave. Then it’s over and I get to be alone, but I still feel rotten.

Sponsor

If relating to other people was hard for us in the past, it makes sense that we haven’t learned to like or trust people overnight. Depending on our histories, openness to people comes more easily and naturally to some of us than to others. If our past relationships were based on addictive sub-stances or compulsive behaviors, we may not be aware that there are people who like us as we are and who don’t intend to exploit or manipulate us.

This is an area in which “acting as if” can help us to have new experiences and eventually change our perspective. Sitting in the circle instead of on the edge; raising our hand to share when we least feel like it; forcing ourselves to speak even very briefly to at least one or two people at every meeting; making a daily call to our sponsor and to other recovering people—any one of these may be more difficult for us than reading the literature, working the Steps, or even staying away from our drug of choice. But it’s our spiritual homework. The more we practice, the easier it gets.

Today, I take an action to counter any tendency to isolate with my disease.

~ THE EYE OPENER ~

Doubt is the opposite of Faith. No man has either one completely, but even those of little faith have by far more faith than doubt. He may not admit a belief in God or the inherent good in mankind but still there are numberless things in which he has no doubt.

If he did not have some faith he would be afraid to go to sleep for fear he wouldn’t waken; he would refuse to eat a meal unless he cooked it himself. He would be afraid to leave his wife to go to work or to leave his job to return to his wife for fear they would not be there when he returned.

Reduced to its simplest form, life is good or bad in proportion to our faith and our doubts.

~ The 12 STEP PRAYER BOOK ~ (A Collection of Favorite 12 Step Prayers and Inspirational Readings) ~

WHO ARE YOU TO SAY THERE IS NO GOD?

As I reflected on this question I tumbled out of bed to my knees.
I am overwhelmed by a conviction of the presence of God.
It pours through me with the certainty and majesty of a great tide at flood.
The barriers I have built denying Your Spirit through the years are swept away.
I stand now in the presence of Your Infinite Power and Love.
I have stepped from bridge to shore.
For the first time, I live in conscious companionship with my Creator.

~ Adapted from Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th ed., published by AA World Services, Inc., New York, N.Y., p. 56. ~

~ AROUND THE YEAR WITH EMMET FOX ~ (A Book of Daily Readings) ~

ONE ALLEGIANCE

Read Matthew 6:24−33.

Many Christians accept these facts theoretically, but are less than halfhearted when it comes to their practical application, and this vacillation lands them in difficulties that always follow upon inconsistency and weakness. To try to rest sometimes upon the material basis, and sometimes upon the spiritual, is to try to serve two masters, and this of course cannot be done. Ye cannot serve God, and mammon (Matthew 6:24)

Man is essentially spiritual, the image and likeness of God, and therefore he is made for the spiritual basis, and he cannot really succeed on any other.

~ A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE ~ (365 Daily Inspirations for Heart-Centered Living) ~

When the Student Is Ready

When you pray, you pray amiss. Give thanks for the answers to your prayers before you see them manifested.

~ Jesus Christ ~

The men were huddled round the cassette player, listening intently. As I entered Victor's room, I heard a strong voice from the tape: "You are a divine being, created in the image and likeness of perfection. Live the life you were born to live, and never compromise with fear." I was magnetized to the power and authority with which the speaker delivered a stirring address. After the lecture, I asked, "Who was that? Where can I get that tape?"

The three fellows looked at each other sheepishly, and Victor answered, "l don't know."

"How can you not know? Isn't there a label on it?"

"The label is blank," Victor answered. "I got the tape at Radio Shack. I bought a new package of three blank cassettes, and this was one of them."

When Spirit wants to get through to you, it will find a way. We never need to struggle to connect with the right people or teachings. When the student is ready, the teacher appears.

Everyone and everything that shows up in our life comes to us by vibrational attraction. When you are vibrating at a particular frequency, you draw to yourself all that is in harmony with that frequency. That is why it is useless to try to force the universe to do anything. The level at which human force operates is puny, trivial, and impotent in light of the mighty strength of Spirit to manifest your highest good without struggle on your part.

If you want to attract the right job, mate, or living situation, give up fighting to make it happen. Instead, bring yourself into vibrational harmony with the object of your desire. In meditation, prayer, and affirmation, visualize and feel your oneness with the thing you want. When you are energetically unified with your vision, the universe will lay it at your doorstep in miraculous ways.

I pray to attract my highest good easily, gently, and joyfully.

I let go of struggle and allow Spirit to manifest my good.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply