Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-08-2016, 07:24 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 8

Step by Step

Today, humility to extend compassion, understanding and empathy to the alcoholic whose current circumstances might once have been mine. If someone confides that he is faced with something that has him in a place of uncertainty, fear, helplessness, hopelessness and desperation, I will remember that I, too, was once in the same dark place and needed more than well-intended but superficial assurances. Instead, I will remember that I entrusted all with unconditional faith to my higher power and, while clinging onto sobriety even an hour at a time, He saw me through. Today, I will not minimize the fears and uncertainties of another person who might be venturing into unknown waters and, instead, will respect them with unconditional love and support. He may be my most important 12th Step. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M.

~ EASY DOES IT ~ (A Book of Daily 12 Step Meditations) ~

H.O.W.

H.O.W = Honesty, Open mindedness, Willingness.

~ Anonymous ~

H.O.W. is a pattern for character and spiritual growth. We must approach all challenges with Honest intentions and Openminded tolerance. But only Willingness will start us toward goals. When the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great. If we are willing to accept and to act with dedication, nothing can stop us as long as our goals are for spiritual rewards.

Willingness can simply mean that we are ready and well prepared to face challenges. But we must be cautious not to mistake wilful for willing. The first insists that things happen our way and on our terms. But Willingness rids us of fears and prepares us to choose wisely.

The Program tells me that "willingness is the key," and “willingness without action is fantasy." These are essentials of recovery.

~ WISDOM TO KNOW ~ (More Daily Meditations For Men) ~

We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable.

~ Alexander Solzhenitsyn ~

When we are directed to make a “searching and fearless” moral inventory of ourselves, it is because in our old ways we looked for the more comfortable answers. Honesty with ourselves can be uncomfortable when we first let ourselves in on the secrets we kept away from our consciousness. We see things we do not want to look at. We may have long-held patterns of shaping and softening the facts so we could continue our harmful and self-abusive ways. And as we lied to and betrayed ourselves, we made ourselves weaker and less able to deal with our situation.

Now we value honesty with ourselves. Honesty may be uncomfortable, but it will not hurt us. Once we have the courage to be honest with ourselves, we don’t have to decide immediately what we will do with what we see. We can take it in steps. First we admit what we know to be true—and then we can live with what we know for a while. Slowly wisdom will grow within us and we will more clearly see a path for how to proceed

Today I will not shy away from honesty with myself.

~ A WOMAN’S SPIRIT ~ (More Meditations For Women) ~

In order to learn, risks must be taken.

~ Ann D. Clark ~

We commonly took risks in the days before our abstinence. In fact, every day that we used mood- altering chemicals, we risked our very lives, perhaps the lives of others too. Why, then, are we so tentative about taking risks now? Maybe we miss the false courage that alcohol and other drugs offered us.

AA and other Twelve Step programs can cultivate real courage in us, if we want it. Remembering to rely on our Higher Power and our sponsors for support and guidance will help us take the risks that offer us growth.

Conscious risk-taking can be very empowering. We all deserve the self-esteem that comes with empowerment. Our lack of it made the chemicals we tried far too appealing. We need never go back there again.

Trying something new isn’t always easy, but it is an opportunity to let my Higher Power give me courage. I will risk it today.

~ TODAY I WILL DO ONE THING ~ (Daily Readings for Awareness and Hope) ~

I am doing the best I can

I want to get well. I want to recover, but I keep sliding back into my old pattern. I start feeling overwhelmed by my problems, get depressed, and then have a slip. I feel bad that I can't get a handle on this. I thought I knew what to do, but what I'm doing is not working.

When i told my support group about this they reminded me of two things: (a) Slips don't have to be such a bad thing. A slip says that I need to make some changes in my relapse prevention program. (b) Recovery is a process that takes time and forgiveness. When I can think about it that way, I'm not so hard on myself and I can do what I need to do.

I will ash my group and counselor to help me identify my warning signs that precede a slip.

~ BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT ~ (Inspiration and Support for Recovery) ~

Sometimes we look for signs of God’s presence in our lives but miss them because they’re not what we thought they’d be.

~ Cathy Bohman ~

The young man was heartbroken. His fiancee had called off the wedding and left him for another man. "How could God let this happen?” he asked. The young man was convinced God did not care about him. Years later, as he celebrated his tenth wedding anniversary, he told his wife he was grateful to God for their marriage. Now he knew that when his first fiancee left him, it was for the good. At the time, he just could not see it.

We all have moments in life when we lose something — a boyfriend or girlfriend, a job or a chance for a job, or something else that seems very important at the time — and feel God has deserted us. Sometimes we may feel that being an alcoholic or addict is a sign God has deserted us. Only after being in a Twelve Step program for a number of years, do we realize that life now is better than it was before the illness of addiction set in. We appreciate our loved ones and ourselves more than ever, our priorities have changed, and we have a relationship with a Higher Power that didn’t exist before. And every new day, we gain a new perspective and insight into how God is working to enrich our lives.

Today help me to remember that You are always with me.

~ MORNING LIGHT ~ (Meditations to Begin Your Day) ~

If I can’t be beautiful, I want to be invisible.

~ Chuck Palahniuk ~

Very few people choose to go to their first meeting. Some were given the directive to attend. Others became so sick and tired of feeling sick and tired that they figured meetings could not make matters any worse. Maybe you came into the program because you made a promise to someone that you would attend meetings, or maybe a friend invited you.

No matter how you came to your first meeting, you can expect to feel a wide range of emotions just by walking through the door. You may feel angry at the mess in your life, or ashamed of the label “alcoholic” or “addict.” You may feel frightened and alone, or an overpowering sense of hopelessness.

Until you become more comfortable, you may not want to say anything or have anyone acknowledge your presence. But retreating into a shell or imagining that you are wearing a cloak of invisibility will not make your discomfort go away. What is more helpful is to be open to the welcomes of others, to introduce yourself, and to let the words you hear sink in. Over time, meetings will become the best part of your day.

Even when I do not feel like going to a meeting, I will. There is value to each meeting I attend.

~ NIGHT LIGHT ~ (A Book Of Nighttime Meditations) ~

We ought to hear at least one little song every day, read a good poem, see a first-rate painting and if possible speak a few sensible words.

~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe ~

Schedules! At the end of a day, have we ever felt we've accomplished anything? Maybe we did everything according to our schedules, but were we able to take time to do the things we wanted?

Dinner doesn't have to be eaten at a fixed hour. Work doesn't have to be brought home every night. Chores don't have to be done on the same night every week. A little variation in our evening schedules is healthy, especially if we need a change of pace. It will also help us unwind, center ourselves, be more alert and in touch with life rather than frantically trying to keep pace.

Read a book. Play a record that's been collecting dust. Call a friend. Write a letter. Go for a walk. Prepare a special dessert. Take a hot, luxurious bath. We can break the weekly routine and add a new one- pampering ourselves.

What can I do special for me? I can decide tonight what I’d really like to do−and then tomorrow, I'll do it!

~ DAY BY DAY ~ (Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts) ~

Helping slippers

Why do they have to suffer? Why is it that we have found and accepted this fellowship while some people seem unable to or else must experience untold hardships before they can accept it? Many times our hearts have ached at the seeming failure of Twelfth Step work.

We watch others suffer needlessly and sometimes die. We watch others repeatedly slip and our hearts cry out to them. Those of us who make it must never give up on the ones who don’t. They need us desperately and we need them. Even if they truly can’t make it, God still loves them all.

Do I leave the results of my Twelfth Step work with my Higher Power?

All God’s children are in God’s hands. Thank you for the way you are holding me!

Today I will try to help a person who has slipped by

God help me to stay clean and sober today!

~ IF YOU WANT WHAT WE HAVE ~ (Sponsorship Meditations) ~

Such as I am, I am a precious gift.

~ ZORAH NEALE HURSTON ~

Newcomer

Sometimes I think I’m basically dishonest. I’ve fooled you and other people into thinking I’m capable of real change.

Sponsor

Sounds like you’re having one of those moments of intense self-doubt we all go through in recovery. At times like this, we have no compassion for ourselves. Our regrets about the past and our fears about the future are all we can see right now. If other people show compassion for us, we think that we’ve put something over on them—or worse, that they, too, are the frauds we’ve judged ourselves to be.

After we’ve chosen recovery and experienced the hope it offers, the darkness we’ve carried inside seems to rise up and almost overwhelm us. With help, we can recognize it for what it is and step back from it. This isn’t the moment to draw conclusions about our capacity for recovery. What we’re experiencing today is part of a process that brings self-esteem and freedom.

I’m willing to trust those who refuse to endorse my harsh judgment of myself. Recovery holds more of the truth than I can see today.

~ THE EYE OPENER ~

Opportunity is found within ourselves and nowhere else; the place that provides the greatest opportunity for our mental, moral and physical welfare. Only when we are mentally and physically fit are we able to recognize and grasp material opportunities when they present themselves. Billion dollar deals have been cooked up in practically every bar in the country but they have all vanished into thin air during the following morning hang-over.

~ The 12 STEP PRAYER BOOK ~ (A Collection of Favorite 12 Step Prayers and Inspirational Readings) ~

CLEVELAND AA PRAYER, 1941

God, You have been our dwelling place in all generations.
Before the mountains were brought forth, or even the earth and the world were made.
We thank You for having brought us safely to this day of our lives and
Having taught us to live one day at a time in Your work.
We pray that You will guide our footsteps tomorrow, and help us as we help ourselves, help us as we help others to do Your will.
And we pray that You will extend your special mercy to those afflicted, as we have been, but who have not yet been brought from darkness to light.

~ AROUND THE YEAR WITH EMMET FOX ~ (A Book of Daily Readings) ~

TIDAL WATER HEALS

If you have explored some of the back waters within a few miles of the ocean you will know how much difference tidal water makes. Here you come upon a stagnant pool, partly covered with weeds and slime, an unpleasant place to be near. Not far away is another pool but this is filled with clean, salt-smelling sea water, and the growing things around it are pleasant and wholesome. The difference is that in one case the living ocean water pours in twice a day charged with vitality, and then flows out again carrying away anything stale or lifeless. It is this circulation of life that makes the difference between the two pools.

When the tide is out, we sometimes see a boat stranded, unable to move, but we know that this condition is only temporary because the tide always comes back and refloats the boat. As long as you keep up your daily visit with God, your soul is open to tidal water, and even if you should seemingly be left high and dry for a period, it is only a question of time before the living ocean will float you off once more.
Keep your soul flooded with the tidal water of eternal life and

. . . nothing shall by any means hurt you (Luke 10:19).

~ A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE ~ (365 Daily Inspirations for Heart-Centered Living) ~

Just Testing

All things are lessons God would have me learn.

~ A Course in Miracles ~

“My engagement is off, and I’m really bummed,” Wendy told me. “He turned out to be a real turkey. When we first got together, he promised me everything. Then I found out that he was carrying a lot of baggage from his past; his ex-wife is a cocaine addict who owes a hundred thousand dollars on her credit cards. I can't believe wasted six months with that jerk!"

While I understood Wendy's disappointment, I saw that she was hurting herself by assuming a victim position. A little while later, I asked her, "What kind of work do you do?”

"I work for the army, training soldiers to protect themselves against bio-chemical warfare. I take them into a room where noxious chemicals have been released, and I take away their gas masks. My job is to see how they react under pressure. Some of them follow the emergency procedures they have been taught, and others freak out. Some become angry at me, call me horrible names, and try to grab their mask back. They don't realize I'm trying to help them by training them.”

Then a thought occurred to me: ”What if your fiancĂ© has offered you the same service you provide your soldiers?” I asked Wendy.

"What do you mean?"

"Your fiancé showed you where you feel small and unprotected. When you got angry and blasted him for your discomfort, you are like the soldiers blaming you. You might consider this experience a training for you to find strength and wholeness within you, in the presence of a noxious environment."

Everyone we meet serves us. Some help us by bringing us peace and joy; others help us by challenging us to find clarity within ourselves. Let us honor both our friends and foes as teachers who lead us to greater power and truth.

Help me to appreciate all my relationships, and find the gift in every encounter.

Everyone is my teacher of peace. I learn and grow from all my relations.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Post New ThreadReply