Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 06-30-2016, 08:36 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Wisdom For Today - July

July 1

Wisdom for Today
When I am sitting in a meeting, I look around at the myriad of faces. I see people from all walks of life. There are professionals, blue-collar workers, housewives, those that are wealthy and those that are penniless. This disease surely shows no bias in whom it attacks. But the real question is how do I view these people sitting in the room with me. Do I pass judgment on them because of how they look or what they say? Do I sit and think that they don't have a chance because they do not think the right way or do not appear genuine in their efforts to get clean and sober? Do I listen intently to their every word trying to determine if they are being honest? Am I skeptical of others at meetings?
If I feel I can judge another and his or her attempt to get clean and sober, then I am hurting that person. And in hurting that person I am also hurting myself. Before I could ever point a finger at others, I must first point the finger at myself. I need to ask myself these same questions about myself. Certainly if I am busy judging others, then I am being arrogant; for I am no different and fully capable of any self-delusion that others might be capable of. Anyone sitting in the meeting will be able to hear my criticism of others and will see that I am not being genuine in my attempt to help others. In judging others, I also am not being genuine in an attempt to help myself. I must check this attitude of criticism and judgment at the door. I can ill afford to isolate others or myself from the program. Do I work to accept all people as my equal in meetings?
Meditations for the Heart
None of us is capable of coming to God by our own free will. In order to come to a relationship with a Higher Power, we all must be Spirit-led. We can only open our hearts and minds to this Spirit and trust that He will lead us to this relationship with God. Looking back at my own life, I know I did not open the doors to this relationship by myself. For that matter, I would not have even known where to look for the doors. I started this journey in childhood, and addiction quickly led me down a different path. I lost all contact with a Power greater than myself. This disease beat me, and I finally gave up in defeat. I got back on track by simply bringing my body to meetings. In doing this and by working the steps, I came to believe again. Throughout the recovery process, the Spirit will lead us to new doors and help us to expand our understanding, our faith and our relationship with this Power Greater. Do I open my heart and mind to this spiritual journey?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
Let me stand beside my brothers and sisters in this program of recovery as an equal. Do not let me give rise to personal judgment or criticism of others. Instead let me speak to them words from my heart and about my experiences. Let me share what has worked, as well as those things that did not. Let me not fear opening myself to them, and give me an accepting heart. Let me follow the light of Your Spirit today.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2016, 08:37 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 2

Wisdom for Today
Each of us has separate and unique gifts for service in the program. It is the combination of all of these gifts among the membership that makes the program work. All of these gifts for service work are needed within the fellowship, and all are important. For some the gift is the willingness to come in early, make coffee and greet others. For others it is the gift of running a meeting with purpose. For still others the gift is being able to reach out to the newcomer and offer encouragement and direction. Still others find that they are good at sponsoring others. And there are those that take on the role of GSR or other leadership roles within the program. It does not matter if all you do is offer to sweep the floor after the meeting; every job volunteered for is equally important. It is all needed.
Each of us has been blessed with a special gift to serve. All we need do is discover what it is and then go about providing this service. Some of us do not want to look for these gifts or offer our time to serve for the better good of the program. Yet if we are working a good program, the steps will point us in the direction of service work. We cannot allow laziness, arrogance or any other character defects to stand in the way of our willingness to serve. Instead each of us needs to seek out these opportunities and trust that the Spirit will guide us to use our gifts. We may be surprised by what we learn through these experiences. We may find out things about ourselves we had no idea were there. Remember that your willingness and the Spirit are all that is needed. Am I willing to give of my time?
"He shall preserve your coming in and your going out from this day forth..." All that we do in this life is guided by His hand. God will lead us as we move through our days. As we reach out to others for help, He is there with us. As we share our gifts in the program, He is with us. As we share our experience, strength and hope with someone who is suffering, He is there to guide our words. In our own struggles He is with us each hour. In our rebellion and unwillingness He stands with us, and He opens His arms to welcome us back time and time again. Regardless of where the path of recovery leads us, He is with us each step of the way. His constancy is forever. His love for us is always. He will shine brightly in our darkest times, and He will laugh with us in our joy. Do I know this Spirit guides my every movement?
God,
Sometimes I wonder what it is You want me to do next. Grant me a heart and mind that will trust that the path You lay before me is where You want me to be. Recovery has had its ups and downs; but when I look back, I can see that You were always there for me. Increase my awareness of this in my day today. Open me to the gifts of service, and lead me with Your wisdom, strength and love.
Amen.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:07 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 3

Wisdom for Today
As I got further into my recovery and had made my first trip through the steps, I found that I had amassed a significant amount of knowledge about recovery and what worked and what didn't. But I still had more lessons to learn. I had been chairing meetings and giving leads for quite awhile. I began to feel important in the program. This self-importance was made up of arrogance and pride. I began to feel like my opinion was more important than others. I began to make assumptions about what others needed from me. I began to get all wrapped up in the limelight of success. These attitudes began to get in the way of what was really important, and fortunately my sponsor could see me when I could not see myself.
One night after a meeting where I had taken a dominant role, my sponsor asked me to go for a walk. This request was unusual, but I agreed. We walked for quite a ways, and my sponsor was quiet the whole time. I began to get annoyed and wondered why he had asked me to walk with him. Finally, I couldn't stand his silence anymore and blurted out, "What is this all about?" He turned to me and gave me a look that stopped me in my tracks. "Do you know that AA will get along just fine without you?" he said. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, but I knew my sponsor well enough to know he was up to something. He went on to point out my self-important attitudes. He explained that my pride was actually hurting the group, as I was not allowing newer members the opportunity to grow because I was hogging the limelight. I didn't like what I heard that night, but I knew my sponsor was right. Months later he told me that his sponsor had given him the same speech. Do I know that the program is more essential than one individual?
Mediations for the Heart
Humility in the program is so very important. We all have things to offer, but I had to learn that I did not need to be the only one offering wisdom to others. I still had wisdom to learn. Wisdom is something that is grown over time and through experience. In this situation I still had more growing to do. Today I hope that I never stop growing and that I always remain open to learning from others. Humility however is not something that is grown. It is a gift that is given to us by the Spirit. This gift along with all the other gifts and promises of the program provide us not only with gratitude, but also a sense of humility. It is in recognizing this gift that we also recognize that we are not God. We recognize that the gift comes from the Spirit and that through this gift of humility, we can fully accept ourselves for who and what we are. It is in this sense of humility that we realize that we are His children, and we find His peace. Do I let anything get in the way of accepting the gift of humility?
God,
Help me to check my arrogance, pride and self-importance each day. Let me not place roadblocks in the way of accepting Your gift of a humble heart. Let me share my experience, strength and hope with others in equal proportion to my willingness to learn from others' experience, strength and hope. Guide me in my steps along the path of recovery today, for You alone know where I am to be this day.
Amen.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:08 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 4

Wisdom for Today
Understanding that with freedom also comes responsibility is central to the process of recovery. If we are to celebrate our independence from drugs and alcohol, our freedom from active addiction, then we must accept the responsibility for our recovery. We are not going to have a truly effective program if we are attempting to stay clean and sober for someone else. It is only when we take responsibility for our thinking, impulses and actions and do this for ourselves that we can hope to find the freedom that exists in the program.
This freedom by no means indicates that we have been cured. Only when we are responsible and do what our Higher Power wants us to do can we expect to know freedom from the insanity of the disease. We are able to gain a sense of security in this freedom, and we begin to comprehend peace of mind. This freedom by no means is a reflection of a trouble free life. It does mean that we will have the tools and courage to live life on life's terms. Am I willing to be responsible with my recovery to gain this freedom?
Taking responsibility for our recovery becomes easier over time. As we grow accustomed to the discipline of the program and accepting our doing His will rather than trying to run the show our way, we begin to enjoy the responsibility of working a program. However, just because it gets easier over time does not mean that our responsibility lessens. Each and every day I must take responsibility for my life. Each and every day I need to seek greater understanding of God's will for me. Each and every day I need to continue to use the steps. Each and every day I need to do something for my recovery. The requirements of this responsibility change over time, and I need to continue to grow and adapt to the changing needs I have in recovery. This responsibility defines what it is to be willing. This responsibility defines what it is that I need to do to maintain my freedom. The freedom we all have is a gift, but it is our responsibility to care for this gift we have been given. Do I value the freedom I have been given?
God,
In gratitude I acknowledge the gift of freedom I have been given. Grant me a willing heart that I may be responsible for this gift. Help me this day to seek out and accomplish all that I need to be responsible for in my recovery. Let me be diligent in this search and give me the courage, strength and wisdom I need for this day.
Amen.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 07-04-2016, 07:52 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 5

Wisdom for Today
Perhaps one of the most difficult lessons I had to learn in recovery “was not to put all my eggs in one basket.” Relatively early in the recovery process, my sponsor was talking with me and said, "I am not the one to put your faith in." I assumed that he meant that I was to put my faith only in my Higher Power, but this is not what he was referring to. He went on to tell me about his relationship with his first sponsor. I had never even asked him about his relationship with his sponsor, I guess I was still too wrapped up in my own world, so that I never thought to inquire. My sponsor went on to tell me that when his first sponsor relapsed, he also relapsed. I had not known that my sponsor ever had relapsed until that night. He talked at length about how his first sponsor got drunk and was killed in a car accident. Needless to say, I was blown away by this story.
I thought about it for many hours after our talk. It was clear that my sponsor was teaching me again. He was sharing his experience and how he had relied so much on his sponsor to keep him clean and sober, that when the worst happened, he fell down himself. My sponsor had twenty years under his belt when he shared this story with me. I couldn't believe he was telling me not to have faith in him. This really shook me, but I also knew that my sponsor was right. If I relied on him alone and his recovery fell apart, what would happen to me? We had several more discussions about this topic, and he continued to share why it was so important to rely on the group, the program and on God and not just one person. I continued to rely extensively on my sponsor until he died. Fortunately, he taught me to rely on more than just on him. Can I afford to set myself up to fall down because I put all my eggs in one basket?
Each of us in the program has our own set of "clay feet." We all have our weaknesses and vulnerabilities. But the Big Book clearly states, "There is One who has all power; may you find Him now." We are indeed weak, but He is strong. We can always turn to God. He hears us in our times of need. He will provide us with His strength when we are weak. All we need do is ask for His help. God will stand beside us in our times of struggle, sorrow and failure. He will lead us beyond these times to a place of joy and victory. None of us needs to feel bad about our weaknesses. It is in our weakness that we are perhaps most open to His help and intervention. We learn from our weaknesses, just as we learn from our strengths. We learn that God will strengthen our clay feet and help us to walk the path of recovery. Do I put my trust in the One who has all power?
God,
In my weakness, I come before You this morning. Strengthen me for this day. Help me to follow the path on which You lead me. Give me the wisdom to rely not only on You, but also on the program and the fellowship. For it is through the steps and through these fellow members of the program that I am taught the lessons of recovery. Give me willingness to reach out to others when I am weak.
Amen.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:52 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 6

Wisdom for Today
The program is growing all the time. New groups get started every day. But what happens when members of a group split off and begin a new group. What is my attitude when members of a group that I attend leave to start a new meeting? Do I wish them well and encourage them as they head out the door to start a new group? Or am I angry that they have disrupted the group that I attend? Do I get frustrated when the group, I am in shrinks in size? Do I have hard feelings towards the members that leave the group, or do I support them? This is the reality of the program: we all experience changing schedules and changing needs. As this occurs, it is not uncommon for factions of a group to split off and begin a new meeting.
My attitude regarding change is essential to how well I will accept, support and encourage this change. If I perceive this change as something unwanted and not positive, I will likely complain, judge and possibly even work to undermine the change. If, however, I perceive this change as something good for the growth of the program and support other members seeking to meet their needs, I am more likely to give my blessing and support. I am more likely to visit this new group and support it through my involvement. This is how the program grows. This is what makes meetings more available to others in need. Do I support the growth of the program? Do I see this
as positive?
Prayer is our way of communicating with our Higher Power. In prayer we both reach out, and we become receptive. Prayer is something we need to do often. We need to pray and pray until we find serenity in a relationship with God, as we understand Him. It is in this manner of communication that we find many needed things. In prayer we can find wisdom and knowledge of His will for our lives. It is in prayer that we can find hope and strength. In this relationship we find courage for each day – the courage to stay clean and sober, the courage for change and the courage to be honest. In prayer we are able to unload our burdens, and we are able to find rest. It is in prayer that we can find healing of our brokenness. Our resentments and fears can be quieted. Most of all, we find that we are not alone. Here we find communion with His Spirit, and we find acceptance. Do I pray often?
God,
Today I need only You to be present in my life. I need Your presence to guide me on the pathway of recovery. Give me this day an open mind, an accepting heart and Your peace. Let me remember to support the program, its growth and its changes, just as the program supports me and helps me to grow and change.
Amen.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:33 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 7

Wisdom for Today
How willing am I to sit in a meeting and listen to the same things over and over again? All of us who have stuck with the program have been to hundreds of meeting on each of the steps. We have heard story after story, some of which are long winded and others that seem to go into great detail regarding the history of addiction. We have heard comment after comment on what works and what does not. We have sat through meetings also and felt bored. If it is simply repetition and boredom that rings out in meetings, why do we keep coming back?
Well, each of us in the program needs to remember that we are not the most important person at a meeting. We all need to find patience and tolerance for others. We need to let go of our judgmental attitudes. We need to realize that when others are sharing, they are doing this for their own good. To spill out our personal history and share our ideas and discuss our views is something we all need to do. Each person at a meeting is there for themselves and their recovery. They are not there only to be of help to me. When they share their stories, ideas and concepts, we need to realize that in some way God is encouraging them. Perhaps sharing is helping them in some way. Perhaps sharing is helping someone else in the room. Meetings are not always comfortable to sit through; yet the one thing we all need to remember is that the program is more important than we are. Am I willing to be tolerant and patient in meetings? Do I put the strength of the program before my own personal needs?
God is the picture of unity in this life. He works to draw us all closer to Himself. He wants to be in healthy relationships with mankind in general. He also wants us to be in relationship with each other. In the program we talk of the need for the unity of the group being central to a group's success. We talk about the need for groups to be in unity with each other. This unity is of utmost importance to the survival of the program, which in turn is vital to our own survival. This unity would not be possible without the guidance of the Spirit. It also would not be possible without our personal effort. Each of us must work to insure this unity. We do this by welcoming each newcomer into the group. We do this through practicing patience and tolerance. We accomplish this unity by willingness to help each other and a willingness to put the group needs before our own needs. Do I work to support the unity of the group?
God,
I do not know where the path I am on will lead me today, but I do know that Your guidance is necessary. Let me seek to remain in unity with You and with the program. Teach me this day to be tolerant and patient with others in the program. Help me to understand that my well-being is dependent on the program’s well-being.
Amen.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:34 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 8

Wisdom for Today
In the program we hear others talk and say things like, "You can't keep it, unless you give it away." This statement in a nutshell outlines our obligation to the program itself. The program certainly gives us much – our sobriety, our life, our sanity and much more are returned to us in the program. If we hope to hold on to these things and gain the other rewards from the program, then we need to give back to it. Some seem to think they are only involved in the program to get what they can and leave. Because they do not give back to the program, they never find the real gifts that come with working the steps and giving back to the program. Some find it difficult to hang on to the basics that happen in recovery, and others end up losing everything all together.
It is only when we develop a deep debt of gratitude to the program and the fellowship that we begin to take our obligation to give back seriously. In giving back, we share our experience, strength and hope. We share, and we gain a healthy sense of pride to be a part of something so wonderful. In being a part of the fellowship and giving back what we have learned, we experience what it means to be a part of the miracle. The marvelous things that we experience, as we see others making the program a part of their lives in some small way because of what we share, are a true blessing. Something wonderful happens inside of us when we are a part of the great work of this program. Do I feel a strong sense of obligation to give back what I have been given?
When I was actively drinking and using drugs, it was not just the emptiness inside that was so painful. It was also the fact that I knew I was not right on the inside. My heart and my mind were not in the right place, and as a result I was not right. In the program we have the opportunity to get right on the inside again. For some of us it gives us the opportunity to get right on the inside for the first time in our lives. The changes I needed to make had to begin on the inside. I had to get in my right mind, and I had to get my heart in the right place if I ever was to be right with the world. Regardless of what we may know when we walk into the program, we all have needed to make changes on the inside. Some of the wrongs we have committed in our addiction, we may never be able to right. However, we can always look to the inside and find and correct what is broken there. We can learn not only to do the next right thing, but also we can learn to be right on the inside. Am I working on being right on the inside?
God,
Today help me to seek opportunities to fulfill my obligations to the program. Lead me in the way of a grateful heart. Help me to seek Your will in all that I do. Let me start on the inside and work to expand my gratitude to giving to others and the program. Let me listen to Your voice as I walk through this day.
Amen.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:21 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 9

Wisdom for Today
In fulfilling our obligation to give back to the program, we also receive many benefits. Sharing my experience, strength and hope have really forced me to learn more and more about the program. As I share with others in the program, I am continually confronted with new questions – questions for which I do not immediately have answers. This in turn motivates me to find these answers, not just because I want to help others, but because it also helps me when I find these answers. Someday I may need these answers for myself. Frequently when asked a question, I need to go back to the AA Big Book or the Twelve and Twelve and reread sections to remind myself what the program teaches. It has had me go back to my sponsor to have long discussions on certain topics. It has increased my desire to learn more. It has increased my willingness to change the things I can.
When I don't have the answers and then discover them through researching program literature or talking with others, I find I am stronger. I go back to the person who originally asked me the question and share what I have learned and how I came to know what I have learned. They are always grateful, and we may talk at length about this information. New connections are formed, and my circle of recovery grows larger and stronger. I learn more from hearing others' viewpoints, frustrations and triumphs. It is these types of interactions that are really at the heart of the program – one alcoholic or addict sharing with another. I am helped and so is the other. I am glad that I don't know everything about the program. These types of interactions keep me growing. Am I willing to learn the answers I do not know?
For a long time, I did not understand why I needed to keep going to meetings and reading program materials. I thought that eventually I would know enough to get through life without having to continue my connections in the program. Fortunately, God in His wisdom knows that I will always need to keep learning and growing in my recovery. He sees to it that I face new and different situations in my life that keep bringing me back to the tables of the program. Even when I have a good understanding of the principles of the program, I am faced with new situations in my life that cause me to apply these principles in new and different ways. The word “powerless” for me has had to be applied to many different events and situations in my life. I have had to learn to use the steps, not just with my addiction, but also with life. Being able to share these experiences with others has been good for me because I in turn have my beliefs strengthened and my program broadened. Do I know I need to keep growing?
God,
Let me begin this day as an open book where You write the words. Let me read the words You inscribe and learn from them how to live my life. Let me always be open to new growth. Help me to expand my knowledge of the program and teach me to use what I have learned. Keep me open to sharing from my experience, so that others may benefit, and I in turn learn more.
Amen.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:21 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 10

Wisdom for Today
In sharing with others, I have discovered much about myself. I have been able to uncover many of the things that make me tick. I have been able to discover much of what motivates me, and I have seen how many of my character defects work. This knowledge of myself has been very valuable for me in my daily interactions with others. Knowing myself and what is going on with me helps me to make better decisions in my life. Knowing myself helps me take better care of myself – physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. Sharing with others is like standing before a mirror that provides a true reflection of myself.
I begin to really understand how this disease of addiction has rooted itself in my life. I can see how it has the potential to affect all areas of my life. Some of the pointed questions I am asked by others force me to re-evaluate my own life and how I am working the program. In working with others, I gain a greater appreciation of my oneness with everyone else in the program. I no longer feel alone but a part of something. This helps me to have a stronger sense of belonging, and I lose my sense of uniqueness. Do I appreciate the benefits of working with others?
I used to be very paranoid about someone knocking on my door. I was never sure if it was the police, a debt collector or someone that I had harmed in my addiction. Recovery has changed all that, and I no longer have to live in fear. However, this does not mean that no one knocks on my door anymore. I have many friends who now knock on my door, but more important that this is the knock that occurs on my spiritual door. I could not hear this knock when I was active in my addiction, but I am now convinced it was there. Each and every day my Higher Power knocks on this door; all I need do is answer this door. He is constantly seeking me out; and when I open the door to my Higher Power, He greets me and invites me to follow Him. All I need do is listen for His knock and open the door to Him spiritually and my life is changed. Am I willing to listen for the knock on my spiritual door each day? Am I willing to follow where He will lead me?
God,
Each time I work with others, more is revealed to me about myself. Thank You for bringing me into this program and giving me the opportunity to learn more about myself. Let me listen for Your knock at my door and be open to follow You today. Help me to not only listen for Your knock, but to be a good listener in all that I do.
Amen.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:15 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 11

Wisdom for Today
Another benefit in doing service work and sharing my story has been the fact that I have become fully resigned to the need to remain totally abstinent from mood-altering chemicals. I no longer need even to entertain ideas that I can drink or use again. In my own way and through the struggles of early recovery, I have found surrender. With this comes an inner acceptance and trust that the program and God, as I understand Him, will provide me with whatever I need to face any situation in my life. No traumatic event can give me reason to return to the insanity of addiction.
No mind games are needed or accepted. I know that even if I were totally isolated from all mankind and given the opportunity to drink or use drugs, I would not need to or want to. I know that even in such isolation I still have a Higher Power, who will watch over me. Having this kind of inner peace and sharing this message with those who have not yet traveled far on the path of recovery imparts a great message of hope. When I think back to those that shared this message with me, I remember thinking that there really must be something in the steps that actually works. This has proven to be true not just for me but also for thousands and thousands of others in the program. Doing this service work and sharing my experience, strength and hope cements His hope in my life. Have I reached the point where I know that drinking or using drugs is not only not needed, but no longer desired or even an option?
This faith and trust that comes from honestly working the steps and using the principles is built one day at a time. I used to think that if I did the steps just right, I would have this profound experience, the light would come on, and I would be filled with the inner peace I sought. This may happen for some, but for most of us the process is more gradual. Based on one experience after another in the program and making it through one struggle after another, trust is built up. Assurance that the program works if you work it grows. Faith that the light in my life will grow brighter and brighter is attained as one gift after another is accepted from the Father of Creation. Sharing my experience only serves to reinforce this faith and trust. Inner confidence is gained, not in myself, but in the program, the fellowship and my Higher Power. Do I see my faith and trust increasing each day that I remain clean and sober?
God,
Your light has been what has shown me the way thus far. In gratitude I continue to follow this light. I am truly humbled by the events and life changes I have seen in my life and the lives of those who work these steps. Let me share this hope with those who still seek what is offered through Your grace.
Amen.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:15 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 12

Wisdom for Today
One of the other gains I have received from working with others and sharing my story has been developing the capacity to be honest. I found that when I talked with other addicts and alcoholics that I did not feel the need to hide the truth. I could be totally honest with them and did not need to worry about my self-image, nor did I have to fear reprisal. Sharing openly and honestly about my addiction as well as my struggles and victories in recovery, helped me come to terms with myself. I found that I no longer needed to hide. What has been even more rewarding has been the fact that I have been able to take the new honesty into other areas of my life and into other relationships.
I cannot say that I have been able completely to rid myself of the character defect of dishonesty, as I occasionally still catch myself falling back into old behaviors; but I can say that the standard of perfection is no longer my goal. I have learned that I only need to seek progress. Through the service work I have done and continue to do, I have developed a manner of living life honestly. When I do catch myself falling back into old behaviors, I quickly go back and honestly share what I have done and get myself back on track. Even this has become easy now. None of this would have been possible without my working with others. There is just something about looking into the eyes of someone else who has crawled through the minefield of addiction that promotes the growth of honesty. Am I willing to share honestly with other addicts and alcoholics?
I remember when I was a little boy and my parents would leave to go out. Even though I was well cared for by whoever was watching after me, I would watch and wait for my parents to come home. When I would see the car drive up or hear the door open and see they were back, I would feel a real sense of relief. As I got older, the roles would reverse. My parents would wait up for me and breathe a sigh of relief when I came home safe. Now I sometimes imagine that this is very much what my Higher Power must have been through with me. He sat waiting and waiting, always watching for me to return. He would pray earnestly on my behalf that someday I would come back to Him. I imagine what a joyous celebration He must have had when I finally returned home. Today I celebrate also, because I know that in the program I am home. In the program I live with Him in my life everyday. Nothing could be better than being home. Have I found a home in the program?
God,
You never cease to amaze me. When I am tired, You find a way to revive and refresh my spirit. When I am angry, You find a way to calm my sprit and bring me peace. When I am sad, You find a way to make me smile again and offer me new hope. Thank You for all that You do for me in my life. Give me courage for this new day, and lead me on the pathway of honesty.
Amen.
Old 07-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 13

Wisdom for Today
A great benefit that occurs as a direct result of sharing with others is the realization that we are only one among many. In my addiction I became very wrapped up in my own self-centered world. I was the king that ruled my own little universe of pain. I had no relationship with a Higher Power because I believed I was my own power. This self-deception crumbled with doing service work and helping others. The world did not revolve around me any more, and I was not the most important person in my universe. In reaching out to others, I began to gain greater understanding that I was only one of God's children. I began to understand more about the true power of this One I called God.
I began to see more and more why it was so important for all addicts and alcoholics to depend on God. I could not fix these newcomers any more than I could fix myself. I began to rely more on God and His wisdom because of my interactions with other fellow members of the program. I began to appreciate His strength, wisdom and grace more because of what I saw happening in my own life and the lives of others. Working with others and sharing my story has helped me see that I am on the way to where God is leading me. It helps me to see that we are all in His hands. Do I know that I am not the center of the universe?
"But for the grace of God" - This statement is repeated over and over again at meetings; but just what does this grace mean? I think for each of us it has different meanings, but what this grace is combines all of these meanings and more. This grace means that we can walk in His security and do not need to depend on anything other than His grace. This grace means protection against all that is evil for us, should we simply choose to accept this gift. The world cannot hurt us if we are wrapped in this grace. Sure, each of us will have struggles that we will face and even great pains at times, but we can ultimately not be harmed by this if we walk in His grace. It is this grace that enables us to find new life. It is this grace that provides for our needs. These words are not empty for the alcoholic or addict. His grace is all. Do I meditate on His grace in my life?
God,
Without Your grace I would not be where I am in my life today. Let me be an example of Your grace to others. Give me words to help others know the security, protection, new life and freedom that Your grace brings. Let me encourage all whom I meet in the program to accept the gift that You offer.
Amen
Old 07-08-2016, 09:20 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 14

Wisdom for Today
Yet another benefit that comes from working with others is learning to live in today. When talking with newcomers in the program, one forgets about their own past and also the future. You find that the focus is just in the moment. As newcomers share their fears, frustrations and despair, it becomes impossible to focus on our own issues; and we can only be with this person in that given moment. One comes to the realization that all we have is now. We help the newcomer focus on this as well. All they need do is not drink or use now. Fretting over the past only provides reasons to drink or use. Fantasizing about the future keeps us from accepting our current responsibility. Living in today is the only sane option for the addict and alcoholic.
In sharing with others I have learned to take each moment as they come. I am given choices along the way. I make these decisions, for better or worse, now. Life is simply a series of "now-s." When I choose to arrive early at a meeting and make coffee, I am living in the moment of time called now. When I speak to another member of the program, I am living in the now. When I pray, I am living in the now. Working with others shows us the futility of living life in regret and in the past. Working with others shows us the disillusionment of fantasy and the future. God gives us new breath in this moment called now. This is where we find life. No one can help us understand this and live this other than another just like us. Am I living life a moment at a time?
"Get over yourself," my sponsor would chip at me when he grew tired of my self-centered attitude and selfish desires. The truth is that I was so full of myself that I could not even see this for a long time. I did not understand these words from my sponsor for quite a while and was so wrapped up in myself that I could not even ask him what he meant. Finally I had heard my sponsor say this one too many times and got angry enough to ask him what in the world he meant. He let me have it with both barrels. He blasted my godlike omnipotence. He pointed out my selfishness. He pointed out all the times when everything had to be about me. My ego was slapped and slapped hard. I know now that this is exactly what needed to happen. I know today that I will never fully overcome my self-centeredness. It cannot be accomplished in this life, but I have made progress in accepting my true place in the universe. I continue to battle myself and my egocentric ways. Am I working to get over myself?
God,
In my selfishness, I sometimes lose sight of my place in the universe. Help me this day to remember that I am one of many. Help me to recall that I am Your child and not the ruler of the universe. Let me strive this day to live one moment at a time – to breathe in Your goodness with each breath I take. Help me to let go of my self-centeredness each time I exhale.
Amen.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:11 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 15

Wisdom for Today
In working with others, one of the best rewards that is gained is a real and true sense of usefulness. In my active addiction I really felt like I was a useless piece of junk. There was little that I did about which I felt good. Most of what I did left me feeling empty inside. But this has not been the case with sharing with others and helping them through by sharing my own experiences in recovery. I have found myself filled with the joy that comes from knowing that something I shared has genuinely helped another. When someone comes back to me and says that something I told them actually aided them in their recovery, I feel that I have done something to help another. Nothing I know of makes one feel more useful.
These opportunities to assist others in their recovery happen in many ways. Perhaps it is simply sharing my story at a meeting. Perhaps someone will approach me after a meeting and ask for help with some specific issue. Sometimes I find out I have helped others simply through my example. This in part is why it is important for me to live the program in all that I do. Regardless of how the opportunity to assist others happens in my life, I can rest assured that I never face this alone. My Higher Power walks with me in my interactions with all whom I meet. He will guide my words. So in truth, it is God who gives me this feeling of usefulness. Have I stopped feeling like a useless piece of junk?
One step at a time! This is how we walk with others on the path of recovery. Often times walking these steps through the fear, or pain or anger in early recovery can be arduous steps. It is easy to walk with someone only a short distance and then go back. It is far more of a challenge for us to walk with someone the entire distance. But think back to those who have provided you with support in your own journey, and you will see that those who walked with you each step of the way provided you with what you needed most. Think about how your Higher Power supports you. Does He not take each step with you? We must be ready to go the distance with others in need. We will know we have gone this distance when the individual offers their gratitude and moves onward in their journey with another to guide them in the next portion of their journey. Am I willing to go the whole distance?
God,
You have walked each and every step of this journey with me. Your encouragement and wisdom guided my steps. Now You have brought me to a place where I can feel of use to others. Give me the courage to walk with them the entire distance. Help me this day to remain open to Your will for me and others.
Amen.
Post New ThreadReply