Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 04-14-2014, 12:09 PM   #16
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 16

Insult and Injury

Blame has no place in recovery. If we recognize addiction as a disease, we turn our attention to recovery and avoid blaming ourselves or others. It is equally important that codependents stop blaming themselves or others for their dependency, and realize that being codependent is not being bad. The addict plays the tune and the codependent dances to it. Recovery from codependency means giving direction to your own life instead of constantly reacting to someone else's behavior. Learning more about codependency can free you from its restrictions and discomforts.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #17
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 17

Worthless Substitutes

Beware of worthless substitutes. When my watchband broke, I was conscious something was missing. I slipped a rubber band onto my wrist, which took away the missing feeling. When I wanted to know the time, I looked at a rubber band, which could not help me. The worthless substitute will offer a false sense of security, and nothing else. If we take a chemical that does nothing to solve our problems, and only distracts our attention from them, then we lose the one thing that can save us: the awareness problems exist. Chemicals do not solve problems, any more than a rubber band can tell time.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #18
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 18

Fellowship or Selfishness?

There is a constructive type of selfishness. When people indulge in self-help, they get nowhere. But by becoming part of a group that tries to help itself, people become better. Some say the Twelve Step programs are selfish. Perhaps so, but it is not a selfishness of the individual. It is a selfishness of the group-the entire fellowship because the entire fellowship becomes the self. How wonderful it would be if all humanity were selfish in this way: to stop thinking of ourselves as individuals, and think of all people as one great big self. What a wonderful world such a selfishness would produce!
Old 04-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #19
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 19

Spiritual Awakening

We will not win the war against drugs until we overcome the demand. People who do not feel good want to feel good. And as long as feeling good is the driving force in people's lives, people will take chemicals to get that feeling. There is an alternate goal, which we refer to as a spiritual awakening when we come to an awareness there is more to life than providing our body with physical contentment. Finding a goal in life other than simply feeling good does not require being devoutly religious. With the alternate goal of spirituality, people are much less likely to resort to chemicals.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #20
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 20

Sleep Without Chemicals

Healthy sleep does come eventually. Some in early recovery are unable to sleep. This problem can exist for some duration, particularly if you had been using tranquilizers. Avoid caffeine. Reduce sugar intake. Exercise regularly earlier in the day. Begin by relaxing your toes and work your way up to your ears. Don't give up. Expecting instant results is part of addiction, not of recovery. Put your clock where you can't see it. Keep the Big Book at your bedside; at least you can use your time constructively. Time takes time. After bludgeoning the brain with chemicals for years, give it time to recover.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #21
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 21

You Are Needed

You need the program, and it needs you. Traveling in an airplane one time, I noticed all was quiet and everyone was minding his or her own business. Suddenly there was severe turbulence, and people began talking to one another. Isolation that had prevailed in tranquility was replaced by group activity in time of peril. When people share strength, hope, and courage, their recovery becomes easier. The more people there are, the greater is the group support. If you can make recovery just a bit easier for someone, why not do it? We all need meetings; if you think that you do not, you should nevertheless be there for others.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #22
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 22

The Power of Prayer

Prayer must be directed inward as well as outward. We ask God to hear, but we must also hear. We must listen to our own prayers. There is also an advantage in praying together. In active addiction, a person seeks the tranquility of chemical anesthesia. Some people think sobriety should provide tranquility without chemicals. But serenity is not tranquility. Indeed, there is nothing tranquil in accepting the things that are unchangeable. It is said that ignorance is bliss. If so, then wisdom cannot be bliss. If we pray for wisdom, we must be ready to cope with its side effects.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:15 PM   #23
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 23

The Healing Power of Laughter

Laughter is good for both body and soul. Obviously there are things in life that cannot be dismissed with laughter. But there are some problems that can be minimized by making them appear ridiculous. Thoughts of failure may escalate your anxiety to an intensity of panic. If you see such anxiety developing, defuse the situation by exaggerating it to the point of absurdity. Think: If I fail the exam, they will announce it on national TV at prime time. They will talk of nothing else but my flunking. When you laugh at such things, you diminish their impact. AA discovered this a long time ago.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:22 PM   #24
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 24

End the Stigma of Addiction

Some avoid recovery programs because they could not ever say, I am an addict. There is still a widespread misconception of addiction as a moral degeneracy. Instead, introduce yourself by saying, I am a beautiful person with the disease of addiction. Realizing you are a beautiful person and that you have a disease is important in recovery and eliminates feelings of inadequacy that make people unable to cope, leading to escape into chemicals. Knowing that you have a disease eliminates the futile attempt to control your addiction through willpower. Diseases can affect everyone, even beautiful people.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #25
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 25

Denial

There is nothing more frustrating. A compulsive gambler lost a good job because he passed bad checks, his fiancée broke their engagement, he's over $100,000 in debt and driving his parents into bankruptcy, and is so desperate he is contemplating suicide. When I told him he must begin recovery by going to a rehab center, he remarked, Do you really think my problem is that serious? We may never see through our own denials, even in abstinence. Our only salvation is to be as honest as we can with people in a position to help. When they point out something we do not see, give it serious consideration.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #26
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 26

God's Role in Recovery

One AA tradition reads: For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority --- a loving God. AA and NA are worldwide with several million members. There is no authoritative management body, yet in every country there are multiple, regular meetings that begin and end on time. Total money collected each week would equal revenues of major corporations. Yet no company operates as efficiently as AA or NA. There is one supreme authority in charge of the fellowship, and He runs the program efficiently. Obviously, He must be present at the meetings. You can find Him there if only you look for Him.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #27
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 27

The Rewards of Discipline

An alumnus wrote: I'm still sober and I have you to thank. Sailing up the coast, it got harder to find a meeting. Everyone was drinking. I went through days of living hour to hour until I came across the journal I had kept while in treatment. As I reread all my craziness and pain from sobering up, it broke through denial and took focus off the dysfunction around me and back on my own spirituality. I did not like writing the journal at the time. Now I am deeply grateful I followed your suggestions. It is wise to do what people who are the experts tell us to do.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #28
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 28

Preventing Relapse

Relapse is unfortunate, but may be preventable. A woman who is 16 years sober and has not attended a meeting in a long time thinks she can be a social drinker again. I'm older and more mature. There isn't any reason I can't take a drink. Obviously she is forgetting how often she used to get stoned on beer. As long as we continue active participation in the program, we are shielded against a return of the insanity of addiction. Working with newcomers is especially helpful in recognizing the treacherous nature of addictive thinking. Drifting away from the program can lead us back to the hell we swore we would never revisit.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #29
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 29

Becoming Truly Human

Some people believe fun in life is contingent on gratifying at least a few character defects, and that life devoid of all defects is tantamount to being a monk. This is not true. Self-mastery for the recovering addict includes abstinence from chemicals. It also includes self-restraint in gratifying the biological drives every human has. God created us as physical beings with physical drives that should be gratified. But while we are not meant to be angels, neither are we meant to be animals. We are meant to be human beings, and that is spirituality.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:25 PM   #30
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 30

What Next?

Marriages that survive the stress of active addiction can fall apart when the addict recovers. The spouse who had become adept at dealing with drunkenness now has no idea how to deal with sobriety. Now that the enemy is vanquished, What on earth do we do now? The answer is to get their own act together. We are not at a loss for problems of our own. What would happen if we got our act together instead of trying to fix the rest of the world? Exactly what happens when the nonaddicted spouse makes the necessary changes in his or her own functioning? The addict begins to recover.
Post New ThreadReply