Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 05-31-2016, 08:39 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Wisdom For Today - June

June 1

Wisdom for Today
When I am sitting in a meeting, I look around at the myriad of faces. I see people from all walks of life. There are professionals, blue-collar workers, housewives, those that are wealthy and those that are penniless. This disease surely shows no bias in whom it attacks. But the real question is how do I view these people sitting in the room with me. Do I pass judgment on them because of how they look or what they say? Do I sit and think that they don't have a chance because they do not think the right way or do not appear genuine in their efforts to get clean and sober? Do I listen intently to their every word trying to determine if they are being honest? Am I skeptical of others at meetings?
If I feel I can judge another and his or her attempt to get clean and sober, then I am hurting that person. And in hurting that person I am also hurting myself. Before I could ever point a finger at others, I must first point the finger at myself. I need to ask myself these same questions about myself. Certainly if I am busy judging others, then I am being arrogant; for I am no different and fully capable of any self-delusion that others might be capable of. Anyone sitting in the meeting will be able to hear my criticism of others and will see that I am not being genuine in my attempt to help others. In judging others, I also am not being genuine in an attempt to help myself. I must check this attitude of criticism and judgment at the door. I can ill afford to isolate others or myself from the program. Do I work to accept all people as my equal in meetings?
Meditations for the Heart
None of us is capable of coming to God by our own free will. In order to come to a relationship with a Higher Power, we all must be Spirit-led. We can only open our hearts and minds to this Spirit and trust that He will lead us to this relationship with God. Looking back at my own life, I know I did not open the doors to this relationship by myself. For that matter, I would not have even known where to look for the doors. I started this journey in childhood, and addiction quickly led me down a different path. I lost all contact with a Power greater than myself. This disease beat me, and I finally gave up in defeat. I got back on track by simply bringing my body to meetings. In doing this and by working the steps, I came to believe again. Throughout the recovery process, the Spirit will lead us to new doors and help us to expand our understanding, our faith and our relationship with this Power Greater. Do I open my heart and mind to this spiritual journey?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
Let me stand beside my brothers and sisters in this program of recovery as an equal. Do not let me give rise to personal judgment or criticism of others. Instead let me speak to them words from my heart and about my experiences. Let me share what has worked, as well as those things that did not. Let me not fear opening myself to them, and give me an accepting heart. Let me follow the light of Your Spirit today.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2016, 08:40 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 2

Wisdom for Today
It is important for all of us to remember who we are. It is equally important to remember who other people are. There is one group of people we know that continues to use alcohol, and even drugs, but do not seem to have the sort of problems that we encountered in our own life. These individuals seem to drink normally and even there drug use does not appear to violate their values. We must be careful not to grow intolerant of these people or hate them. This has never proven to be helpful for any addict or alcoholic. We may need to avoid contact with them particularly in drinking or using situations in order to protect our recovery, but to grow resentful toward them because they can still drink or use will not help. The program teaches us that we have no business in drinking or using situations unless we are there for a legitimate reason, such as a family wedding or other celebration. Even then we should only attend if we are in a solid place spiritually.
The other group of people we know are those who clearly have problems with their alcohol and drug use. These people we have no business being around at all unless they call wanting to know more about how we got clean and sober. These twelve step calls are best done with someone else in the program so that we avoid the emotional traps of old friendships. We do not belong in slippery places. We hear at meeting to avoid old people, places and things. This is good advice as we have seen many who have tried to hang out in old haunts who have failed to stay clean and sober as a result. We are people who tend to live life in extremes. In recovery, we cannot afford to do this anymore. We can not live in the extreme of hating all who still use and we cannot live in the extreme of living life on the edge of certain relapse. Have I learned to tolerate those who drink or use in a socially responsible manner? Have I accepted that I must avoid old playgrounds?
We must learn to live life in a way that petty annoyances do not weigh us down. We can make healthy choices to not react to emotional unrest in others with emotional unrest of our own. We can hold onto the inner peace that God gives us even in the most difficult of situations. We can learn to allow this inner calmness to be our guide in our interactions with others. We no longer need to pick fights with others, and we no longer need to accept invitations to argue with others. This does not mean that we avoid problems, rather we seek solutions to the problems that may arise in and around us. Here we learn that we cannot always rely on our own strength, but we can always draw on His strength. When we lose our inner peace and react to these situations with anger or malice, we are closing the door on God's Spirit. Am I working to keep the door open to His Spirit?
God,
Help me to find healthy balance in my life, my attitudes, and my behavior. Let me always seek tolerance, wisdom and find that which is healthy for me in all I do. Remove from me any judgment of others, and let me not find room in my heart for resentment. Grant me inner peace as I walk through this day.
Amen
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 06-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 3

Wisdom for Today
I cannot forget that addiction is my number one problem. This disease has ways of continually trying to sneak up on me in my life, even when I am strong and active in my program. It is especially cunning, baffling, and powerful when other problems are occurring in my life. This is why it is so important for me to keep, "First things first." I must always remember I have this disease and not put other problems I may have in front of my recovery. The reality is that I have only two problems. One is staying clean and sober, and two is all the rest. I will not ever be able to deal with all the rest effectively if I do not deal with my number one problem first. I need to continue to work my program and stay in a good place spiritually if I am to find solutions for my other problems, whatever they may be. I cannot put family problems, occupational problems, legal problems, financial problems ahead of my recovery.
I also must be cautious of becoming too relaxed in my recovery. Success has a way of making me feel too comfortable in my sobriety. Here is where my disease can seize an opportunity to catch me when I am not looking. I cannot let success blind me from the fact that this disease continues to live in me even with years of success under my belt. Overconfidence has been the downfall of many leading them back to relapse. Any problem can be dangerous for us, but none more than the disease of addiction. Do I keep "First things first?"
Progress is what we seek. Each day we can find new opportunity for growth. We can build on the gains made yesterday. We can find that new strength, new wisdom, and new courage can be ours today, if we only seek to do God's will for us. We need to open our eyes to the opportunities He affords us. We can learn from each mistake, and we can learn from each success. When I stay grounded in the truth of progress and not perfection, I find that I stay willing to keep growing in my recovery and in my spirituality. Some days the progress comes in the form of not repeating past errors in judgment. Other days I find that my faith is strengthened. Other days I may find that my relationships with others are improved. Wherever the progress occurs in my life, I must be grateful to have been led to the opportunity for growth. Each of these opportunities are ones that I would not have had if I did not find this program. Today I can even be sure that the truth is that the program found me. Do I seek to make progress every day in my recovery?
God,
Help me always to seek to make progress. To do this I know I must keep first things first. This means that I must always keep You first, for without You I know recovery does not happen. Grant me keen eyes, so that I may see every opportunity that is provided me for growth. Help me to trust that You will provide for me what is needed for the task of this growth.
Amen
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 06-01-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 4

Wisdom for Today
Recovery is not always easy; in fact there are times when it is down right hard. In these difficult times we must be careful not to act impulsively. This is where the AA motto, "Think, Think, Think," comes in. First, we must think the drink or drug through till the end. What this means is that we must think past the drinking or drugging to the consequences that wait for us on the other side. And they do wait; and because we are alcoholics and addicts, we cannot know how bad these consequences may be. Secondly, we must think about what the program tells us to do in these situations. How can we use the steps to help us get through these difficult times. What would my sponsor say to me? What principles of the program can I rely on to help me choose to do the next right thing.
Finally, I must think about what my Higher Power would want me to do in this situation. How can I use God to help me with my current situation? What does my Higher Power want me to do? Each of these statements summarizes a plan to help me deal with life on life's terms. So when things get difficult as they sometimes do, I must train myself to use this motto in my life as a plan of action. This motto will help me make healthy decisions. It will guide me step by step back to a place of stability in my recovery. I can even use this motto when life is not so difficult. It will keep me on track, and I will be less likely to end up in difficult situations. Do I use, "Think, think, think," in my daily life?
As we grow closer and closer to our God, as we understand Him, we become less and less entangled in in the frustrations of humanity and its limitations. Man is filled with shortcomings and cannot satisfy all our desires. But God can indeed fill our every need. Whenever we need His help, He is there. Whenever we need His encouragement, He is there. Whenever we need His encouragement, He is there. And whenever we need His wisdom, He is there. This is where we all need look to have our needs fulfilled. Should we turn only to our fellow man to satisfy our needs, we will surely be let down sooner or later. But God always satisfies our needs. This does not always happen in the ways in which we might expect, but it will happen in the way God wants it to. Do I go to God and lay my needs before Him?
God,
Sometimes life gets frustrating, and I know I need to turn to You for Help. Let me learn to use the program as a guide for my life, and let me always slow down and look to You for whatever I need. Give me answers for this day, and help me to think before I act. Let me use Your wisdom in the difficult times I may face.
Amen
Old 06-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 5

Wisdom for Today
As addicts and alcoholics, we are a people of excess. Much of how we have lived our lives has been in excess. I can remember kiddingly telling others that my drug of choice was, “MORE.” Recovery has a way of changing this kind of thinking. One of my favorite mottos in the program is, “Easy does it.” This tells us to do the best we can with what we have and not to get to bent out of shape over things that happen both within the program and outside of it. For many of us, we drank or used drugs to help us cope with a myriad of emotions. It did not take much to push our buttons, and we would go on an emotional tear. It did not matter if it was anger, guilt, sadness, or fear; each of these emotions and others we would experience in the extreme. This was not because the situation warranted it, but it was because we lived life in the extreme. Our personalities and character would multiply our emotions until we had to find a way to escape.
“Easy does it,” tells me that I need to learn patience, tolerance, understanding, delayed gratification, and wisdom. It teaches me to learn moderation in my response to life’s twists and turns. It teaches me to relax and to wait. It shows me the importance of slowing down enough to check things out with my Higher Power. It lets me know that I am not running the world and do not have to be responsible for more than God asks me to do. It teaches me that if I am going to live in a normal world as a normal person, I need to make adjustments in how I live and experience the world. Have I learned to take life on life’s terms and not let things go to extremes?
God is our refuge and our strength. Both of these qualities of God are important for addicts and alcoholics. Each of us needs a place of refuge. Many of us used to hide in the bottle or hide in the fog of drug abuse. But in recovery we find we do not so much need a place to hide as much as we need security. Addiction provides no safety, but the arms of our Higher Power wait to hold us in a place of deep security and safety. Here we can find a place to rest, reflect and meditate on His will for us. Here we also find His strength and are provided with His power - the power we all need to carry out His will for us. No bottle, pill, or fix ever provided this for us. But God grants this to us all freely. All we need do is accept the gift. To feel secure and strong was something I could not imagine when I was active in my addiction. In recovery I cannot imagine being without security and strength. Have I found refuge in my Higher Power’s arms?
God,
Remind me to take a deep breath and slow down when I get caught up in the fast pace I am so easily attracted to. Teach me to take life in an easy manner and to seek refuge in your arms whenever I need to. Help me this day to live life fully and abundantly, but not in extreme. Let me feel the security and strength that You so freely provide.
Amen
Old 06-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 6

Wisdom for Today
Somewhere in the recovery process, as we truly begin to develop our spiritual lives, we come to realize that we did not achieve sobriety on our own. A genuine sense of recognition that recovery was achieved, “But for the Grace of God.” This program motto reminds us not to take too much credit for our sobriety. Yes, we have to walk the walk, but none of us would have even found the path, let alone stayed on it without His Grace. As we walk through the process of recovery, all of us will see those who choose not to accept His Grace. These individuals end up back in the sauce. We also will run into those who need the program, but are not yet ready. Here we look at these individuals and say, “But for the Grace of God, there go I.”
This statement helps to remind us of who we are. It reminds us that we still have this disease. Yes, we may be strong in our recovery today, but this is only true because we have accepted His gracious gift. This statement also reminds us to be grateful for what we have been given. And we are certainly given much in the recovery process. Each of the promises of the program only happen through our willingness to put into action suggestions given us and because of the Grace that our Higher Power affords us each and every day that we remain clean and sober. Humbly we stand before our Higher Power, and we see the majesty of what he has done and continues to do for us. Have I accepted the gift of recovery through His Grace?
I am not sure that I can look back and say with any certainty when I knew in my heart that God loved me. In my brokenness and shame, I stood in the door of a clubhouse wanting desperately to find a way out of the insanity. I had no idea what awaited me and could not even begin to imagine where the path of recovery would lead. I do know that once I really knew in my heart that God loved me, my whole life changed. Gratitude was a constant companion, especially when I walked through difficult times. Cares and worries seemed to just disappear as I began to realize that I was being helped and could see that much of the goodness I experienced in life came about, not because of what I was doing, but because of what He was doing. I began to see that not only was I cared for but I also began to see that I had a friend. Am I grateful for this love that is given me so freely?
God,
It is You that has walked with me each and every step of this path. I am truly grateful for the guidance and direction I receive. The outpouring of love and care I receive from You humbles me. I do not understand this Grace, but I am glad in my heart for this gift. Help those that still suffer and open their hearts to accept this wonderful gift of recovery.
Amen
Old 06-03-2016, 08:19 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 7

Wisdom for Today
Boredom can be a real enemy of an addict or alcoholic early in recovery. Idle time can bring on a busy mind. I know I struggled with this issue a lot in my early days. I had grown so attached to the excitement and rush of the nightlife that going to another meeting just didn’t seem to take the place of chasing the dream of being high or wasted again. Now that I was clean and sober didn’t mean that I was out of the woods yet. I had time on my hands and didn’t know what to do with it. My mind frequently would be preoccupied with romancing the high again. It wasn’t that I was bored; it was the fact that I was grieving the loss of my previous lifestyle. I didn’t miss the insanity, but I did miss the fun, I missed the camaraderie of my using and drinking buddies.
But I told myself I was bored. In truth I was depressed and lonely and sad. I would even get into playing games with myself and trying to convince myself I didn’t need to go to a meeting. Then one night I heard someone say, “When I think I don’t need a meeting, that is when I need to go the most.” This didn’t make any sense to me at the time, but I am glad I listened to this suggestion. Months later when I really began to settle into recovery and my brain started to clear more, I could really see how I was setting myself up. I could see the addictive preoccupation I had. I do not know how I made it through this time without using or drinking; I just know that going to meetings saved me from returning to the insanity. Do I accept that I will always need meetings?
In the program, camaraderie with drinking buddies and using friends is replaced with fellowship. This fellowship often happens before meetings and again after meetings. It occurs in time spent with sponsors and in time spent at conventions, workshops, and program social events. It also occurs in relationship with a Higher Power. Today I know how important this fellowship is with others in the program. Much of what I have learned along the way has occurred outside of the meetings themselves. The reality is that many of my toughest battles in recovery have been fought with the help of others who were willing to spend time with me before or after a meeting. Service work also has helped me gain a deeper appreciation of all that goes on behind the scenes. It has also helped me grow in many ways. Do not underestimate the importance of this fellowship with others; for many of us this is where real change occurs. Do I take advantage of opportunities to build fellowship with others?
God,
This day is not unlike others. I stand here before You as an alcoholic and addict. Help me this day to do the next right thing. Encourage me to be in fellowship with others. Grant me this day ears to listen to every suggestion that is offered. Give me wisdom to use these suggestions in ways to help me grow in my recovery.
Amen
Old 06-06-2016, 05:27 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 8

Wisdom for Today
As addicts and alcoholics, we often spent time looking for a magic bullet. We wanted something
that would make all the pain go away. We looked to alcohol and drugs to be our magic bullet,
only to find out that this bullet exploded in our face. Addiction did not solve our problems and
only made them worse. As I got clean and sober, my search for the magic bullet did not end. At
first I thought the program would be that magic bullet, but it is not. It took quite a while to finally
understand that there is no magic bullet. Recovery is not like that. It is a process and not a single
event.

What I have discovered is that recovery is more like opening doors and finding pieces to a
puzzle. Sometimes I find pieces of the puzzle through working the steps. Other pieces are found
in the fellowship, and still others are found through prayer and meditation. Regardless of where
we find the pieces to the puzzle, we still need to find a way to put the pieces together. The
problem here is that none of us are very good at putting the pieces of the puzzle together. This is
where grace comes in. I could not figure out the puzzle on my own, but slowly over time piece
after piece was put together. I know today I did not do this, but it was done for me. Through
Grace the pieces fit together and the picture is beautiful. Am I willing to have faith that His
Grace will put the pieces of my life back together again?
Shame seemed to be a huge roadblock in my recovery process. I was absolutely convinced that
there was something wrong with who I was. Somehow I had become damaged, broken and
worthless. Here especially I found piece after piece of brokenness and certainly felt that there
was little I could do to put these pieces of my life back together. I wasn’t even sure if I had all
the pieces necessary to make the picture complete. Through a lot of work on self-acceptance
and finding out how to forgive myself, the pieces slowly came together. But it did not all come
together. In fact, the harder I tried the more frustrated I got. This is when the program came
through for me again. I learned that I needed to collect all the pieces I could find and then turn it
over to a Power Greater than myself. It was only in turning it over and letting go that I could
hope for an answer. Here God surprised me. Not only did He put the pieces together, but He
filled in the blank spots. The missing pieces and brokenness came together in and through this
Higher Power. Am I willing to let go of the brokenness and have faith that God can and will put
the puzzle together for me?
God,
Today let me turn to you in faith. Let me trust in your wisdom and strength to put the pieces of
my life back together again. Help me to feel whole, complete and beautiful again. Lead me this
day to the doors where I will find the puzzle pieces. Guide me in this search. Let me bring these
pieces to You so that You may create in me the picture of oneness in You.

Amen
Old 06-06-2016, 05:27 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 9

Wisdom for Today
Sometimes I would find myself feeling like just giving up. Life would just get too hard. It seemed that it was too hard to keep fighting the good fight; to stay on track. Even keeping the sense of hope alive seemed difficult. This is when the words of my sponsor seemed to be the only thing left to hang onto. What he would say to me in times like this was, "Don't give up before the miracle happens." I can remember sputtering under my breath, "What miracle?" But each time I looked into my sponsor's eyes, I knew he believed it would. Somehow that kept me hanging on. I would just keep putting one foot in front of the other. I would make one meeting after another. One day after another I kept on going. Before long my life seemed easier. The load I was carrying seemed lighter. Just doing the next right thing seemed to be working.
Perhaps this is the miracle. Each day I stay clean and sober is a miracle. Each day I accept God's grace in my life is a miracle. And as far as not giving up, sometimes it is real work. But most of all it is about keeping the faith that the miracle will happen gaining real trust that God will make miracles happen for me if I simply do what He wants me to do. Each day I need to work at hanging in there. Some days it is by a long rope and other days it is by a shorter one. Regardless the length of the rope, I know the miracle will happen. Do I have faith that the miracle will happen?
Hope is a seed that is planted when we first make the decision to stop drinking or using. But this seed will quickly die if it has no water and no sun. Where do we get this water and sun? In step two we learn that we only need come to believe. It is a matter of faith that we trust the sun will rise tomorrow. We also trust that the rain will fall. In recovery we certainly find that we have sunny days and rainy ones. This is what produces growth. Before long the seed breaks through the soil and reaches higher and higher for the sun. Over time new leaves form and branches begin to grow. Life begins to take on new meaning, and we begin to blossom in this new life. This is what recovery brings. Each day we find new life in recovery. We find new meaning. We learn to open our lives to the newness of creation. We learn to open our lives to the goodness that is all around us. We learn to open ourselves to His love, His light, and His truth. Do I feel the seed of hope growing in me?
God,
Today let me trust in your wisdom and your direction. Fill me with encouragement and strengthen my faith in the miracle of life in recovery. Let me weather both the sunny days as well as the rainy days. Give me courage and confidence in what You want for me.
Amen
Old 06-06-2016, 05:27 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 10

Wisdom for Today
In recovery we also have good days. These days begin to happen more and more often the longer we stay clean and sober. But there is a catch. This only happens as long as we continue to work the steps and use the principles of the program. In my own life when I get lazy and don't use the tools I have been given, things seemed to fall apart. As soon as I got back on track, things started to go good again. This is not just my experience, but also the experience of others. I have heard this story time and time again from others. When I stop working the program, the program stops working for me.
What this means is that if I want to stay on track and string together more good days than bad ones, I have to keep doing my part. To keep the serenity going, I need to keep going. This by itself has convinced me that I still have this disease. I still think like an addict and an alcoholic. For me not to begin to behave like one, working the program on an ongoing basis is important. Today I will choose to use the tools and work the steps. I do this because I want more good days. I want everything that recovery offers me. Am I willing to use the tools each and every day?
Sometimes, I get so busy and seem to run from one task to another without stopping. These are the times when I am most likely to get myself tired. When I get tired, I know that I do not think real clearly. I also tend to over-react to situations. This is when "HALT" becomes very important for me. Halt tells me to slow down and get my rest. Halt tells me to take care of myself and my recovery. Rest is important in keeping a sense of balance in my life. If I get out of balance my whole world seems out of kilter. When this happens I find it is important to go back to the basics. I take my morning meditations more seriously. I work at eating right. I get to my meetings and I stick to a reasonable schedule. As I do these things, my life seems to come back into focus and I regain balance. Slowing down and getting back to the basics works. Do I use HALT when I need to?
God,
Life is not always fair, but I know that You are. Help me to listen for Your cues that I need to slow down and get back to the basics. Let me use the tools I have been given to keep myself on track. Should I lose my balance, let me seek You out first, for nothing helps me more than being in a good place spiritually.
Amen
Old 06-10-2016, 07:06 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 11

Wisdom for Today
Back when I was drinking and using, I would fantasize about the future. I had dreams and aspirations of a fine life, with a happy family, a good job, and many other good things. In recovery I have found many of these good things because of what the program has taught me. Sometimes I now fantasize about what my life would have been like if I never found the program. It is not a pretty picture. Yet this ugly picture is something I carry with me as a reminder. A reminder of what will happen should I choose to go back to the insanity of addiction.
Regardless of the ways we find to convince ourselves that addiction is wrong for us, we all need to face the truth of addiction. Addiction to alcohol or drugs only gets worse over time. There is no cure for this disease; it can be arrested but not cured. In the end it will destroy all that is precious to us. I hold this truth close to me so that I cannot forget the finality of the disease process - death, insanity, or institutions. I hold this close also so that I may be grateful for all the good things I have been given in recovery. Have I found a way to hold the truth of addiction close, so that I will not forget its finality?
Fantasy and imagination can serve us well in recovery. This was not my original thinking, but over time it has changed much like many other things in recovery. In step eleven we are asked to seek through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God. At first I thought meditation was for people in another culture or for people who were just plain weird. I was wrong about this just like I was wrong about many other things. Using meditation to fantasize or imagine what God wants me to do in my life has turned out to be a good thing. When I think deeply about what God wants and consider the wisdom that He is wanting me to have, only good can come of this. When I imagine myself securely in His arms, my fears slip away. When I imagine myself being given courage for the day, my strength is increased. The Psalm says it best, "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life." Do I take time to meditate regularly?
God,
Be with me this day and walk with me in all that I do. Let me guard closely the truth of addiction and what it can do to me. Let me hold Your truth in front of me as my shield this day. Let me take time to spend in dialog with You. Let me think deeply about Your will for me this day.
Amen
Old 06-10-2016, 07:06 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 12

Wisdom for Today
Recovery is a spiritual journey. For each of us this journey is different. We all use the same steps, but the process is different and unique for each of us, even though we travel the same path. Each of us must find our own understanding of personal acceptance and surrender. Each of us must find our own personal relationship with a Power outside of ourselves. Each of must look deeply and honestly at ourselves. Each of us must make the changes necessary to live life in recovery. Each of us has our own repair work to do to restore the brokenness of our lives. And each of us must find a way to maintain our ongoing growth.
Yet, in all that we need do, there is one constant, none of what we must do can be done alone. All of what we must do to walk this walk is done in the spirit of “We.” This ‘We’ may be the relationships we build in and through the fellowship. It may be the relationship we build with a Greater Spirit, or it may be the unity we all share in the journey called recovery. All of what is described here is spiritual. It becomes a part of who we are, and this spiritual experience leads us along this journey. This common spiritual experience is what makes recovery work for each of us. Do I see the common spiritual experience working for me in my recovery?
Recovery brings us a sense of freedom and happiness we have never known before. We can, perhaps for the first time in our lives experience joy. Our problems seem to disappear as we work the steps and use the principles of this program to guide us. Those problems we still have do not trouble us, for we know that we have been given the tools we need to address whatever may come our way. One day after another passes, and we see the promises happen in our lives. From time to time we look back and see just how far we have come, but we also know that the journey is not over. Each day we will be given new tasks that we need pay attention to. Each day we are given opportunity for growth. Each day we gain new insights and new understanding of who we are and who our Higher Power is. Do I see each day as an opportunity for growth?
God,
Deepen my understanding of who You are and how important You are for my recovery. Deepen my gratitude for the mystery of all that is spiritual. Expand my vision and open my ears to see and hear Your presence in my life. Let me continue on my personal spiritual journey this day wherever You may lead me.
Amen
Old 06-10-2016, 07:06 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 13

Wisdom for Today
Learning to share what is really going on in our lives is not always easy. Sometimes it difficult for us to even know what is going on with us. We have kept ourselves and our lives hidden from others. Opening our thinking, feelings, and beliefs about how we see the world can be threatening for many of us. Yet it is in the risk of revealing ourselves to others that we find healing. To discuss our resentment, fears, grief and loss, guilt and shame with others helps us to sort through the layers of pain we all carry inside. In opening up we find that we are not alone. We find healthier ways to let go of the burdens that have weighed us down for so long.
Is this an easy process - no! But it is simple, we simply need to open our mouth and begin to discuss with another in the program what is troubling us. Sometimes, even when we do not know what is bugging us, as we begin to talk with another, we soon sort through whatever it is and gain clarity. In recovery we learn that we need to tell on our disease and on our selves. In the honesty of sharing what troubles us, we find that the load we carry is no longer heavy. We find that new answers are gained. Over time it is this act of sharing that brings us out of isolation and into a new light of community with others. This is how we move from living a life of self-centered fear to a life of ‘WE.” Am “I” moving from isolation to a sense of fellowship?
I can remember thinking that I was such a loser, that I was no good and worthless. As I began to open up and share my experiences with addiction, I began to see just how silly I sounded. Friends in the program would help me open new doors and turn on new lights so that I could see just how unfairly I was judging myself. No one was harder on me that I was on myself. I began to see that others perceived me very differently than I perceived myself. Simple questions like, “Did you stay clean and sober today?” began to challenge my thinking and beliefs and feelings in such a way as to help me see that at least for today I was not a loser. Friends would point out to me the good that they saw in me. I began to regain a sense of self-esteem. I began to separate the things I did from who I was. I soon realized just how much addiction had controlled my actions and behavior, as well as, my beliefs, thinking and emotions. I could see that what I had done was not what I would have done had I not been in the bondage that addiction creates. Am I gaining a better understanding of who I am?
God,
This program acts like a mirror for me and helps me to see myself more clearly. Thank you for all the people you have placed in my life to listen to me as I sort through all the misperceptions, dishonesty, and insanity that addiction has brought into my life. Give me courage to speak openly as I sort through all the layers of garbage I have accumulated along the way.
Amen
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 06-12-2016, 07:29 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 14

Wisdom for Today
When active in my addiction, I found lots of reasons to keep on drinking and using. Many of these reasons were just excuses, but I was also using to help fulfill many of the needs I had. I needed to feel like I fit in. I needed to feel strong and confident. I needed to find relief. I needed to have a sense of security. Simply returning to the bottle or my drugs over and over again filled many different needs. I entered the program and soon realized that it was not just the alcohol and drugs I was giving up, but I was also giving up a way to meet those needs. I began to wonder if I was now simply to go through life depressed, lonely, bored and stupid. Even worse was I to end up like many of those self-righteous people I had met.
I knew I needed to stay clean and sober, but the real question was how. I also had no idea how to meet the many other needs I had. Fortunately, the program offered the answers I was looking for. Not only did the program teach me how to stay clean and sober, but it also helped me to meet my needs in a new and healthier way. I gained a sense of belonging and felt like I fit in. I also began to feel less fearful and gained strength. The steps and the fellowship not only provided a sense of relief, but also a sense of real security. I no longer worry so much about how to meet my needs, I have found a healthier way to meet my needs. Have I found a good substitute for alcohol and drugs?
I always walked around feeling like a total failure until I found the program. Today I know I do not need to rely on my strength, ability, or wisdom. I can rely on the strength, ability and wisdom of the program and my Higher Power. In God there can be no failure. My sponsor would ask me over and over again, “Do you want to make the best life you can for yourself?” I think this is a question that each of us would say yes to. He would go on to say, “Then live close to God.” This simple suggestion has become a guide for my life. Living close to my Higher Power and following His will does provide me with all the strength, ability, and wisdom I need. I do not need to have fear of failure any more than I need to fear success. If living close to God is sure, I can know that as long as I walk the path with Him I will succeed. This may or may not happen in the way that I expect it to, But I am confident it can and will happen. Do I continue to feel like a failure?
God,
I walk the path that I am given and hold close to You. Let me not become overconfident and rely on myself. Give me knowledge that my real security comes from You. Let me bring every need that I have to you confident that You will show me the way to fulfill these needs.
Amen
Old 06-12-2016, 07:29 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 15

Wisdom for Today
What is it that draws us into the fellowship? For each of us the answer is both unique and common. We hear the stories, and we sense the hope that others have gained in living the program. We share common experiences, and we find that we are not alone. We share our struggles and our victories. Our eyes are opened to new possibilities. Growth becomes an option for each of us through the steps. Each of these things and more draw us into the fellowship. Many are drawn by the powerful stories shared. Many are drawn by the simple structure and truth that abounds. Many enter the doors for these reasons.

But for each of us there are also things that are unique to our personal experience that draws us
in and holds us within the fellowship. For some it is the laughter that can be found. For others, it
is the mirror that the program and fellowship provides, that allows us to see ourselves in a new
and healthy way. Each of us will find our own unique reasons for being drawn into the fellowship. Perhaps it will be the indescribable look that a sponsor can provide. Perhaps it is the warmth found burning in your heart. These are but a few of the unique and individual reasons we are drawn in and held in the arms of the program. Regardless of what has attracted us, all of it - both common and unique are a part of the spiritual experience. Can I see the Spirit at work in my life helping me to find a new home?
Recovery is about being of single purpose. Our vision of this single purpose grows and expands as we move through recovery. At first our single purpose is to stay clean and sober. As we grow our vision of this purpose grows into a desire to do His will. It is when we work to maintain this focus on a single purpose that balance is achieved. Much like the acrobat who walks along a tightrope, if we place one foot in front of the other and maintain our focus, we will not fall. It is this single purpose that leads us in our journey. Unfortunately, all of us struggle at times to keep our focus. In these times we begin to lose balance. It is only possible for us to regain this balance by again focusing on our single purpose. What does my Higher Power want me to do today?
God,

You know my needs better than I know my needs. Let me follow You this day with a willing heart, trusting your direction, knowing that You will provide for my needs along the way. Give me the vision of single purpose knowing that Your will for me can only lead me to a good place. Guide my feet with each step I take.
Amen
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Post New ThreadReply