Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery > Alcohol, Drugs and Other Addictions Recovery

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #11
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Ya know...I've struggled with depression for nearly 6 years now. Psychaitrist is now giving me some meds for bipolar people who are in the depressive state of their disease along with two other anti-depressants.

I go to A.A. meetings and want to talk about what I'm dealing with and hear, "Outside issue!" "Go to more meetings!" "Work the Steps!" "Pray harder!" "Everyone goes through that!" "It's normal to be depressed!" "You're hearing what you need to hear not what you want to hear!"

Blah blah blah blah blah...

The Big Book says that it is okay for us to have issues that need outside help. It also implies by saying so that there are issues that the 12 Steps will not resolve.

I attend a support group for people with depression. I also see a psychaitrist and a therapist and it really seems to help tremendously.

A very caring Canuck friend in recovery from another website recommended two books for me that have been very helpful and very eye opening for me. "Healing The Shame That Binds Us," and "Healing the Child Within." Both books have been tremendously helpful.

Now, I think I'm ready to tackle some of those ACA issues and books that have been collecting dust on my shelf for a few years. I began reading them at two years sober and it just wasn't time yet. Now, I think it is time. At least I feel like my mind, my heart, my soul and God are telling me it's time.

Do you ever just get angry or fed up or bored with the cliches in the meeting rooms?

DH
Thank you for sharing this. I was just talking to a fellow AA member yesterday on the bus. He is bi-polar and on meds too. It is not good when people in the rooms play doctor. I do know that many alcoholics and addicts are not always honest and have got put on medication for depression which is a big part of the grief process of early recovery. They are two separate things. I have known girls to be put on anti-depressants, gained weight then went back out on a crack diet to lose the weight.

People will be people, gossips and all. I always try to know my own truth and know what is good for me. I am open and honest with my doctor, my God and me. People have their opinions and they have a right to them but that doesn't mean they are right for me.

I have found that the 12 Steps and Traditions are applicable to all areas of my life.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply