Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Daily Spiritual Meditations Post spiritual meditations here to read and feel free to share.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 08-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Daily Reprieve - August

August 1

THE YEARNING

“But He has come to all who have honestly sought Him.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 57

“He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from
beginning to end.” Ecclesiastes 3:11

For what it's worth: Even on the darkest days of my drinking there was an unidentified yearning deep in my being. My despair was in the belief I would never satisfy this longing. And I would not if I kept drinking. That is why my sobriety is such a wonderful gift, especially in Alcoholics Anonymous. Here are the tools I needed to identify what I sought and begin my search. I am on an exciting, wondrous journey filled with deep, treacherous waters and peaceful streams. And I need not understand the depths; merely accept they are a place with purpose along the way. Most meaningful is the One I seek took my hand at my first step on this journey, walks with me along the streams, and carries me through the deep waters.

God bless you.
Joe W.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 2

MOTIVATION TO BELIEVE

“Faced with alcoholic destruction, we soon became as open minded on spiritual matters as we had tried to be on other questions.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 48

"Your faith has healed you." Matthew 9:22

For what it’s worth: My closed mind and hardened heart stubbornly resisted any thing spiritual. I nearly died all alone and with out a God. However, the agony of advanced alcoholism forced me to listen to people in Alcoholics Anonymous who often spoke of the love of a Higher Power. Moreover, while I was listening, I was drying out and starting to feel the emptiness in my soul. It became so painful that I had to do something. That is what motivated me to open my mind and my heart to the possibility that I was loved by this Higher Power. Living the Steps of AA over a period of sober time, I was able to advance to even trusting this God. Then, with more sober time, I grew to know from my own experience that I was loved by my Heavenly Father.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 3

LIFE TODAY - A PRECIOUS TREASURE

“The old pleasures were gone. They were but memories.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 151

“God keeps such people so busy enjoying life that they take no time to brood over the past.” Ecclesiastes 5:20

For what it’s worth: The old pleasures? I am hard pressed to remember any. Moreover, the memories haunt me still. Therefore, when I am enjoying the present, I am overwhelmed with gratitude. Every loss I have ever experienced has been replaced a hundredfold. Every agony I ever suffered has been rewarded with a blessing. The God that I found through Alcoholics Anonymous - totally different from the punishing Judge of my yesteryear - has become my loving Heavenly Father. When I get my past out of His way, trust Him with my future, and just be with Him today, life is, indeed, a precious treasure.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 4

RESCUED IN HIS ARMS

“He had stepped from bridge to shore.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 56:4

"But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.” Luke 15:20

For what it’s worth: A sinking feeling lived in me for years, and I could not see shore or any sign of rescue. As it turned out, I was looking in the wrong direction, depending upon myself. Once I looked to Alcoholics Anonymous, a miraculous rescue occurred, but I was too spiritually sick to recognize it. Later in sobriety I saw clearly that a Power greater than myself was ashore waiting for me, even yelling to me, trying to get my attention. And, as soon as I stepped ashore in AA, my God rushed to me and threw His loving arms around me, and held me close to His heart. Even sober in AA, I have had that sinking feeling return. When it has, as soon as I jump up into my Heavenly Father’s arms, He kisses me and I am safe. It works every time.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 5

TRUSTING THROUGH TORMENTED MOMENTS

“…There is no doubt in my mind that you were 100% hopeless, apart from divine help.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 43:2

“I trust in your unfailing love.” Psalm 13:5

For what it’s worth: My disease produced years of torment, relieved only by the grace of God working through Alcoholics Anonymous and professional therapy. Even in sobriety, I have experienced torment, but maintained abstinence from alcohol with divine help. Each ordeal proved to me that I could trust my Heavenly Father’s love. He and I got through the agony one moment at a time. Some time He would put someone or something in my life at just the right moment to divert my attention from my suffering. At other times He would help me get to just the right meeting where the topic would be just what I needed to hear. And, for those moments I was unable to take action, He would hold me close to His heart. I believe that each tormented moment brought me closer to my Heavenly Father.

God bless you!
Joe W.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 08-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 6

THE THERAPY OF AA

“You fellows are somebody. I was once, but I'm a nobody now.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 157

“Even if I were innocent, my mouth would condemn me; if I were blameless, it would pronounce me guilty.” Job 9:20

For what it’s worth: Spitting at my self in the mirror was not a sign of good mental health. I was loaded with self-hate by the time I finally arrived at the doors of Alcoholics Anonymous. But the people treated me with respect and acceptance, and I grew to realize that, contrary to my previous beliefs, even God must think well of me. After all, Something had guided me to AA and kept me sober long enough to begin to see the changes that were happening to me. And Something was helping me take actions I did not believe I could ever do, like turn my will and my life over to God’s care. Ever so slowly the therapy of AA has rebuilt me from the inside out. Now I smile at myself in the mirror and even do a little jig, if no body is watching.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 7

FROM CLOUDED TO CLEAR CONSCIENCE

“Being convinced that self, manifested in various ways, was what had defeated us, we considered its common manifestations.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 64;2

“My conscience will not reproach me as long as I live. Job 27:6

For what it’s worth: Alcohol clouded my conscience. But, once the alcohol was removed, I began to see clearly the destruction left by my self-centered disease. It was only a miracle that I did not drink again to blind me from the sight of that devastation. Instead, a Power greater than me guided me to Twelve Steps where I was blessed to climb out of self-condemnation up to a level of acceptance of my humanness and weaknesses. Fortunately, along the way, this weak human being found a Heavenly Father’s unconditional love. And together we prefer to “continue to set right any new mistakes as we go along” instead of wallowing in shame and self-reproach ever again.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 8

WILLINGNESS

“Much has been written pro and con, but among physicians, the general opinion seems to be that most chronic alcoholics are doomed.” Alcoholics Anonymous, The Doctor’s Opinion

“Lift up your hand, O God. Do not forget the helpless.” Psalm 10:12

For what it’s worth: I believed I was a doomed drunk. I would not admit it back then, but I certainly felt helpless. I covered it up well with many masks that fooled people. That is, until I arrived in Alcoholics Anonymous. Those wise folks saw right through my fronts. They had been doomed, but found a Power greater than themselves Who lifted up His hand to free them from the claws of alcoholism. And, despite my resistance, their example proved to me that He would do the same for me. All I needed was willingness. And, in those instances when I did not even have the willingness, they taught me how to get it: go to God and ask Him for it. That has worked every time.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 9

WHO AM I TO JUDGE?

“We do talk about each other a great deal, but we almost invariably temper such talk by a spirit of love and tolerance.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 125

“I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them.” Romans 16:17

For what it’s worth: Who am I to judge anyone or anything? Everything in me was sick by the time I came to Alcoholics Anonymous. The good AA folks accepted me for the mess I was. Then they gave me a set of principles that would make me well, the Twelve Steps. They even taught me how to treat them and the rest of the world, using the Prayer of St. Francis, practicing principles before personalities, and applying our code of love and tolerance. And they helped me find a God of my understanding who loves me unconditionally. So, today, I ask my Heavenly Father to help me not judge anyone, not talk about anyone unless my message is positive, and keep away from those “who cause divisions and put obstacles” in my path.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 10

STANDING TALL

“As God's people we stand on our feet; we don't crawl before anyone.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 83

“For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7

For what it's worth: Alcohol forced me to crawl. And still can. All throughout my years of recovery in Alcoholics Anonymous, the Slavedriver lurked in the shadows, waiting to beat me to my knees again. And I have no power to resist other than maintaining a daily spiritual condition that keeps me in God's strong arms. Alcohol can not reach me there. And any time I sense it creeping up, I go to my knees before my Heavenly Father. There I stand tall in the face of alcohol and any other demon attempting to bring me down.

God bless you.

Joe W.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 11

HE HOLDS ME CLOSER

“I will never fail you. I will never forsake you." Hebrews 13:5

“At heart we had all been abnormally fearful.” 12 &12 p.123, Step Twelve

For what it's worth: Fear dominated by life. It controlled my behaviors, influenced my thinking, and drove me away from God. Alcohol became my support in life. After years of drinking and driving everyone away from me, I went to Alcoholics Anonymous and begged for help. I felt humbled and empty. Some of the members, specifically that tricky bunch, persuaded me to attend many Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, got me involved in service work, and took me with them on Twelve Step calls. Hanging with the winners, I learned to practice the Twelve Steps, and this was my way to God. He teaches me through the right people and personal experiences. Some days are rough, so He holds me closer.

God bless you.
Joe W.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 08-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 12

DOING FOR OTHERS

“Ask Him in your morning meditation what you can do each day for the man who is still sick.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 164

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'” Matthew 25:40

For what it's worth: My self-centered disease dictated what I did for others; nothing. My only interest was to manipulate them to get what I wanted, or to resent them to have motive to drink. That kind of stinking thinking was my pattern for years, so change comes slow, but sure, if I do not take that first drink today and live the Twelve Steps of Alcoholic Anonymous. I use the spot-check and daily inventory of Step Ten, and, on those days I see no progress, I go to my Heavenly Father for guidance. Now-a-days, when I ask Him what I can do for others, He reminds me I am doing it for Him, and then He shows me the Prayer of St. Francis.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 13

THE BEST GUIDES

“For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.” Hebrews 4:12 (NLT)

“The persistent use of meditation and prayer, we found, did open the channel so that where there had been a trickle, there now was a river which led to sure power and safe guidance from God as we were increasingly better able to understand Him.” Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 109

For what its worth: Stumbling through life drunk destroyed my dreams and left me empty and near dead. I insanely blamed God, not the alcohol. So I looked everywhere – except to God - for meaning and purpose. None was found until I was finally sober and active in Alcoholics Anonymous for years. The persistent example of the members and their sharing about the love of God resulted in my feeble attempt to reach up to God. I reached too far. He was already right there beside me and went to work on me immediately, transforming me into a totally different human being. I had hoped to be an angel of some kind, but, obviously, God wanted me to be simply human – the best I could be. He knew I needed His help, so He offered me two guides: the Bible and the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. I follow both daily. They have led me on a fantastic spiritual journey, over mountains of beauty, dry deserts, and valleys of death.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 14

UNDER OR ABOVE

“Pay careful attention to your own work, for then you will get the satisfaction of a job well done, and you won’t need to compare yourself to anyone else.” Galatians 6:4 (New Living Translation)

“…He goes on to explain that any person capable of enough willingness and honesty to try repeatedly Step Six on all his faults -- without any reservations whatever -- has indeed come a long way spiritually, and is therefore entitled to be called a man who is sincerely trying to grow in the image and likeness of his own Creator.” Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, page 63

For what it’s worth: Alcoholic behavior and resentful thinking had me believing I was the lowest, most hateful and harmful cockroach crawling the earth. And I was, maybe not beneath the heap, but close. I had developed the defects and disgrace to prove it - until the day I joined Alcoholics Anonymous. There, after years of sobriety, with support from the members, and the power of the Twelve Steps, I was lifted out of the slime and started to climb up into my Heavenly Father’s lap. He provides me the willingness to change and helps me remove the filth and shame with Steps Six and Seven. I use those gifts daily, but still need to work hard every day not to compare myself with others. Besides, making comparisons, I am either under or above – always wrong. I am no longer a cockroach, not even close to sainthood, but just as my Heavenly Father wishes me to be right now – a sober, struggling, and simple human example of His merciful love.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

August 15

WHERE I NEEDED TO BE

“A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.” Ecclesiastes 4:12 (New Living Translation)

“We alcoholics see that we must work together and hang together, else most of us will finally die alone.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 561 (563), Appendix I, The A.A. Tradition

For what it’s worth: Alcoholism nearly forced me to die alone. There was no one to care, no understanding, no support, and I belied there never would be. This deep despair and horrible aloneness drove me to Alcoholics Anonymous - only to stop the agony, not to get sober, and certainly not to grow close to God. But the Force in Alcoholics Anonymous turned out to be a Power far greater than alcohol, if only I did not take the first drink no matter what. God and I knew this was a task too heavy for me alone, so He mercifully directed me to Alcoholics Anonymous. He knew His sober, loving and tricky drunks would provide fellowship, support, empathy, strength in numbers, just enough shenanigans, and powerful example leading me to His loving arms: right where He always wanted me and exactly where I needed to be.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Post New ThreadReply