Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2017, 06:45 AM   #29
bluidkiti
Administrator

AA Thought for the Day

April 28

Reacts Differently
Opinions vary considerably as to why the alcoholic reacts differently from normal
people. We are not sure why, once a certain point is reached, little can be done
for him. We cannot answer the riddle. We know that while the alcoholic keeps away
from drink, as he may do for months or years, he reacts much like other men. We are
equally positive that once he takes any alcohol whatever into his system, something
happens, both in the bodily and mental sense, which makes it virtually impossible for
him to stop. The experience of any alcoholic will abundantly confirm this.
- Alcoholics Anonymous, pp. 22 - 23

Thought to Ponder . . .
When all else fails, the directions are in the Big Book.

AA-related 'Alconym' . . .
A A = Absolute Abstinence.

~*~A.A. Thoughts For The Day~*~

Arrogance
"I am a firm believer in both
guidance and prayer.
But I am fully aware, and humble enough, I hope,
to see there may be nothing infallible
about my guidance.
The minute I figure I have got
a perfectly clear pipeline to God,
I have become egotistical enough
to get into real trouble.
Nobody can cause more needless grief
than a power-driver who thinks
he has got it straight from God."
Bill W., Letter, 1950
As Bill Sees It, p. 38

Thought to Consider . . .
The smallest package in the world
is an alcoholic all wrapped up in himself.

*~*~*AACRONYMS*~*~*
ISM
I Sponsor Myself

*~*~*~*~*^Just For Today!^*~*~*~*~*

Discovery
>From "Bill's Story":
"At the hospital I was separated from alcohol for the last time. Treatment seemed wise, for I showed signs of delirium tremens.
"There I humbly offered myself to God, as I then understood Him, to do with me as He would. I place myself
unreservedly under His care and direction. I admitted for the first time that of myself I was nothing; that without Him I
was lost. I ruthlessly faced my sins and became willing to have my new-found Friend take them away, root and branch.
I have not had a drink since."

2001 AAWS, Inc., Fourth Edition; Alcoholics Anonymous, pg. 13

*~*~*~*~*^ Grapevine Quote ^*~*~*~*~*

"I can better understand when I learn to listen."
September 2008
"The Fine Art of Listening,"
AA Grapevine

~*~*~*~*^ Big Book & Twelve N' Twelve Quotes of the Day ^*~*~*~*~*

"These men had found something brand new in life. Though they knew they must help other alcoholics if they would
remain sober, that motive became secondary. It was transcended by the happiness they found in giving themselves for others."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, A Vision For You, pg. 159~

"The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed."
~Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, More About Alcoholism, Page 30~

In it, each member becomes an active guardian of our Fellowship.
-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions p. 183

Misc. AA Literature - Quote

Prelude to the Program
Few people will sincerely try to practice the A.A. program unless they have 'hit bottom,' for practicing A.A.'s Steps
means the adoption of attitudes and actions that almost no alcoholic who is still drinking can dream of taking. The
average alcoholic, self-centered in the extreme, doesn't care for this prospect--unless he has to do these things in order
to stay alive himself.
We know that the newcomer has to 'hit bottom'; otherwise, not much can happen. Because we are drunks who
understand him, we can use at depth the nutcracker of the-obsession-plus-the-allergy as a tool of such power that it
can shatter his ego. Only thus can he be convinced that on his own unaided resources he has little or no chance.
1. TWELVE AND TWELVE, P. 24
2. A.A. TODAY, P. 8

Prayer For The Day: Dear Lord, I thank you for this day. Thank you for my family and friends. Please help me in showing them just how important they are to me.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply