Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > New to Bluidkiti's Recovery Forums? > Newcomers Recovery Help and Support
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Newcomers Recovery Help and Support Stop in here if you are new to recovery and share with us. Feel free to ask questions and for support here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #11
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Easy Does It

Not what we would, but what we must, makes up the sum of living. - Richard Henry Stoddard

"We must do the things we must" is frequent advice in the Program. Each Step is evidence of what our founders did in order to achieve abstinence and keep it going with serenity and security. All of the "musts" implied in the Steps and frequently mentioned throughout the Big Book are also spiritual. We will find the importance of "must" in the favorite quotes from that book.

The Steps aren't based on the theory of "thou shalt not." They are based on the theory that "thou shall." That's why we say "there are no musts" in our Program.

Fortunately, those Twelve Steps we work require positive action. They tell us what we can do in order that each of us can live a joyous, happy, and free existence.

"Must" appears many times in the Big Book, along with a few "absolutes. " This doesn't refer to my requirements for working the Program. It just lets me concentrate on what I can do, not on what I can't.

-------------------------------------------------------

This reminds me of a friend who use to say to me, "The program is suggested." My response was, "They may be suggestions, but there are some darn well betters, or you will go back to where you came from."

1) Go to Meetings
2) Call your sponsor
3) Read the literature
4) Find a Higher Power
5) Work the Steps
6) Learn what the Traditions mean and apply them to your life.
7) Find a Group
8) Get active and do service in your Group
9) Share at meetings and greet newcomers.
10) Finish working the Steps
11) Build a relationship with your Higher Power
12) Build a relationship with Yourself.

If you have one hand in the hand of a newcomer and the other hand in the hand of your Higher Power, you won't have any hands left to pick up.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply