Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Daily Spiritual Meditations Post spiritual meditations here to read and feel free to share.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Daily Reprieve - January

January 1

LEAVING NO DOUBT

“We never thought of making honesty, tolerance, and true love of man and God the daily basis of living.” 12&12 p72

“May the Lord lead your hearts into a full understanding and expression of the love of God…” 2 Thessalonians 3:5

For what it's worth: When I was drinking, the thought of loving God never entered my mind. My mind, like my heart and soul, had to sober up and clean up before anything spiritual entered my being. That transformation could have been accomplished only by the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. Then those same Steps performed another miracle. This shameful, unlovable drunk came to believe I was loved unconditionally by God. My life experiences leave no doubt about His love for me. I pray my daily life leaves no doubt about my love for Him.

God bless you!
Joe W.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 2

GUILT vs. PEACE OF MIND

"To all perfection I see a limit, but your commands are boundless." Psalm 119:96

"We are not saints." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 60

For what it's worth: Alcoholism transformed me into a hypocritical devil, certainly not a saint. When I tried to act holy, I fooled no one except myself. Early in Alcoholics Anonymous, I was relieved when I heard "we are not saints", but it appeared the Steps were trying to make me one, and I resisted far too long. Even today, after years in sobriety, living the Twelve Steps as best I am able, I have to ask my Heavenly Father what he expects, because there are many days I am fully aware perfection is impossible for me, yet, it seems His "commands are boundless" that day. My guilt easily kicks in and severely damages my peace of mind. It is at those times I am so grateful for my Heavenly Father's unconditional love, because He whispers to me that He needs to talk with me. When I listen and sit down with Him, He reminds me I am only human and He loves me just as I am. Slowly, peace returns.

God bless you.
Joe W.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 01-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 3

HEALTHY BY GOD’S LOVE

“We are convinced that a spiritual mode of living is a most powerful health restorative.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 133

“You restored me to health and let me live.” Isaiah 38:16

For what it's worth: Every thing about me was unhealthy when I arrived at Alcoholics Anonymous. I was severely retarded emotionally, starving spiritually, and crawling toward the grave. Sober time, professional help, and daily practice of Alcoholics Anonymous principles restored my wellbeing. Age is demanding its price physically; although disputed by some, I am certainly improved mentally; and, the spiritual transformation is nothing short of miraculous. I will always be amazed at the therapeutic power in Alcoholics Anonymous. Only God could have created something so wholesome for a bunch of drunks. I believe He loves us dearly!

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 4

AN EDGE

"...There is more joy in heaven over one lost sinner who repents and returns to God than over ninety-nine others who are righteous and haven’t strayed away!" Luke 15:7 (NLT)

"If we are sorry for what we have done, and have the honest desire to let God take us to better things, we believe we will be forgiven and will have learned our lesson." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 70

For what it's worth: I had no edge when I was drinking. After being sober in Alcoholics Anonymous, I was given an edge. The longer I was sober the more I became sorry for my past, and as I lived the Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous, I developed a desire to turn my will and my life over to God. With sober time, I certainly learned my lesson, and I slowly trusted God had forgiven me. I came to believe my Heavenly Father loved me just as the miserable drunk I was, and treated me like the Prodigal Son, holding me close and rejoicing in my coming home to Him. Now I had an underserved and freely given edge.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 5

WHAT COMES FIRST?

"Jesus replied, 'What is impossible with man is possible with God.'” Luke 18:27 (New International Version)

"Alcoholics Anonymous saved my life, and it comes first." 12&12 p.159

For what it's worth: My life was lost because alcohol came first. I was doomed to die the worthless drunk I was with the fires of hell welcoming me. I had harmed many of God's children, and I believed salvation impossible. However, the merciful God rescued me from the gates of hell and somehow shoved me through the doors of Alcoholics Anonymous with a bunch of tricky drunks. He knew their bamboozlement would break through my prideful resistance and their example would lead me to Him. Now, undeservedly but gratefully, my Heavenly Father and Alcoholics Anonymous come first in my life.

God bless you.
Joe W.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 01-05-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 6

"MY HEART WILL NOT FEAR"

"Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then I will be confident." Psalm 27:3

"...We had to fearlessly face the proposition that either God is everything or else He is nothing." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 53

For what it's worth: Alcoholism filled my heart with fear by persistently parading God as nothing before me. Although I could not appreciate it while I was drinking, gratefully, I was everything to Him. His grace gained sobriety for me in Alcoholics Anonymous and gave me strength to make a fearless moral inventory in Step Four. I found I was controlled not only by addiction but all forms of fear, and, if I were to remain sober and stay out of hell, my Heavenly Father needed to become everything to me. But, how? Blessedly, during sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous, many "wars" broke out against me in the form of physical, mental and spiritual attacks. I say "blessedly" because my Heavenly Father used each "war" to teach me to trust His love. Now, when the "armies" of life "besiege me, my heart will not fear".

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 7

WHAT OTHERS SEE

"Be diligent in these matters (speech, conduct, love, faith and purity); give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress."

"We claim spiritual progress rather than spiritual perfection." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 60

For what it's worth: Practicing anything like spiritual principles meant nothing when I was drinking. Only after years of sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous did virtue become important, not to be saintly, but to survive. I did not realize it at first, but God had given me a proven way to spiritual progress, the Twelve Steps. Being the immoral, worthless drunk I was, I was deeply grateful when I begin to realize practicing these Steps made it inevitable I would grow spiritually. Progress was possible, but not perfection. Still today, no matter how hard I try, I often go to my Heavenly Father and beg his patience and forgiveness. I am in no way saintly, so it is vital to me that my Heavenly Father loves me just as I am, imperfect, but doing my best to rid myself of defects and gain virtue. This is impossible without my Heavenly Father's merciful grace. Any diligence developed in moral matters is my Heavenly Father's work, not mine. He deserves all the credit and praise for any spiritual progress others may see in me.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 8

THE ULTIMATE EXAMPLE

"We see the original and intended shape of our lives there in Him (Jesus Christ)." Romans 8:29 (The Message)

"...Any person capable of enough willingness and honesty to try repeatedly Step Six on all his faults -- without any reservations whatever -- has indeed come a long way spiritually, and is therefore entitled to be called a man who is sincerely trying to grow in the image and likeness of his own Creator. 12&12 p.63, Step Six

For what it's worth: Of course, there was no imitation of Christ during my drinking. Early in sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous, however, I learned the necessity to grow spiritually or rot in hell as the evil drunk I was. My willingness to try to be Christ-like was weak, but my desire to avoid the fires of hell was strong, so I listened closely to the members of Alcoholics Anonymous. I found how to follow the example of Christ. Their method was the Twelve Steps. Today, I have to practice all Twelve, especially Step Six and Seven to even come close. I fail frequently, so, I ask my Heavenly Father daily for His grace to follow the example of His Son. He loves to assist me in this climb.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 9

PRAY FOR OTHERS

“We are careful never to pray for our own selfish ends.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 87

“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer.” Romans 12:12

For what it's worth: The absence of prayer contributed to my alcoholic disaster as surely as the presence of prayer provides for my recovery. Sober in Alcoholics Anonymous, my prayer life began slowly and simply with “please help me” and “thank you”. However, it seemed the Big Book statement about never praying “for our own selfish ends” was saying I was praying all wrong. I am grateful the Prayer of St. Francis offered some clarity: when my prayer focuses on others, I surely benefit. Francis knew praying to be an instrument of peace for others and seeking to love more than being loved is most pleasing to God. So he concludes his prayer reminding me when I give to others, I receive; when I pardon others, I am pardoned; and, when I die, I am born to eternal joy. Today I know from my own experience when I focus on others in prayer, my Heavenly Father attends to me and my needs.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 10

FOR ME

“We will suddenly realize that God is doing for us what we could not do for ourselves.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 84

“Come and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what he has done for me.” Psalm 66:16

For what it's worth: God did nothing for me. I embarrassed Him and alcoholism was my punishment. Years of sobriety, daily practicing the principles of Alcoholics Anonymous, returned me to enough sanity to realize I have a Higher Power who is not against me. He is for me. He always was and always will be. God rescued me from the gates of hell, carried me through the difficult days, and has granted all my joyful days in sobriety. I know Him now as my Heavenly Father. He smiles when I jump up in His lap and thank Him for all He does for me.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 11

A SACRIFICE OF THANKS

“For if an alcoholic failed to perfect and enlarge his spiritual life through work and self-sacrifice for others, he could not survive the certain trials and low spots ahead.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 15

“This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God.” 2 Corinthians 9:12

For what it's worth: I would sacrifice for a drink, but for no other purpose. I knew the drink was killing me, but I had no idea I needed to change to survive…until my first day in Alcoholics Anonymous. The people there said to escape the horror of an alcoholic death I had to become spiritual. And they were clear about how – daily “work and self-sacrifice for others”. It took many sober years of hard work with my sponsor and other old timers to learn to surrender self for others, but I finally embraced a give-to-receive philosophy, not to attain sainthood, just to sustain my daily reprieve. I notice my Heavenly Father smiles down on me when I give of myself for others. I believe He takes it as a sacrifice of thanks for all He has done for me.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 12

THE SIMPLE WAY

“So we let God discipline us in the simple way we have just outlined.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 88

“Remember, O Lord, how I have always been faithful to you and have served you single-mindedly, always doing what pleases you.” Isaiah 38:3

For what its worth: I was a simple drunk. I took only one drink at a time. That one drink progressively turned me into a hopeless alcoholic with no desire for sobriety or God. I sought only relief from the agony of my alcoholism when I walked into a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous. There I found immeasurably more: sobriety and God. I thought God had forbidden me any joy in life because I had offended Him. Instead of punishing me, God granted me this humble, straight forward, Twelve Step way of life, changing me from a worthless, no good drunk into a child of God. To express my gratitude, this child will seek to spend the day in my Heavenly Father’s arms, seeking His will in each of my next right steps today.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 13

PEOPLE OF FAITH

“Imagine life without faith!” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 54

“For the word of God is alive and powerful.” Hebrews 4:12

For what it’s worth: My faith was betrayed by all. Even alcohol abandoned me, dumping me like waste into a deep, dark depression. I came to Alcoholics Anonymous a man without life, empty and decaying, trusting nothing. The people accepted me without judgment. They had been like me and found something to fill an empty soul. It became obvious even to this mistrusting drunk these were people of faith. They readily shared that gift with me, taking me under their wings and teaching me I needed to believe in a Higher Power, not only to stay sober, but to find whatever it was I was searching for in life. Their example opened my closed mind and hard heart to the reality that they themselves were the word of God, alive and powerful.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:18 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 14

A MIRACLE OF TRUST

"And the miracle of all miracles was that I didn't have to drink over any of it." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 336

"We were crushed and completely overwhelmed, and we thought we would never live through it. In fact, we expected to die. But as a result, we learned not to rely on ourselves, but on God who can raise the dead." 2 Corinthians 1:8 & 9

For what it's worth: God had forsaken me, and I relied on Him for nothing. This attitude fueled my alcoholic drinking for years. I found the truth only after being in Alcoholics Anonymous for the intensive care I received from a bunch of tricky, sober drunks. Despite my defiance and resistance to things spiritual, they planted the idea I could trust their Higher Power as they did. Nourished by the Twelve Steps, the idea grew into complete trust I am loved by God just as I am. This great reality was made obvious to me by the fact this once desperate drunk did not have to take even one sip of alcohol through all manner of desperate and close to death situations. This was God’s love, and it continues every time I place myself in His hands.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:27 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

January 15

IN MY BEST INTEREST

“…Though perhaps he came to scoff, he may remain to pray.” Alcoholics Anonymous, Doctors Opinion

“I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation.” Psalm 5:3

For what it's worth: During my drinking years I was afraid to ask God for anything. Even early in Alcoholics Anonymous I defiantly refused to pray with you at a meeting. After all, was not my presence enough? My sponsor confronted my cover and taught me to say “Please help me” each morning and “Thank you” at night. Such was the simple start to a rewarding prayer life. At first I had to learn to be patient with the good Lord. Now I can seek my Heavenly Father’s help and wait, trusting His response will be in my best interest, although at times I may not see it that way.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Post New ThreadReply