Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Spiritual Recovery

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
dickb
Super Moderator

Icon21 Relationship of Early AA to Christianity

Rocky M. recently asked for my thoughts about handling a man who had been a solid AA and a solid Christian, who had turned against AA, and who was slated to argue on radio with Rocky and "defend" Christianity and A.A.

Here were my suggestions as to how to deal with such a person in a "debate."

"I received a message about your appearing on a radio program to defend Christianity and A.A. You asked for my thoughts. My views are these: (1) A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still. (2) Contempt prior to investigation is an everlasting bar to factual knowledge. (3) The history of A.A.'s Christian origins and early program is overwhelming: (a) Its ideas came largely from the Bible as used by YMCA, Salvation Army, Gospel Rescue Missions, Congregationalism, evangelists like Dwight Moody, and Young People's Society of Christian Endeavor. Ask your tormenter if he knows that or has ever researched the facts. (b) Dr. Bob and Bill were solid students of the Bible in East Dorset Vermont, Manchester Vermont, and St. Johnsbury Vermont. Ask your tormenter if know about Bill's 4 year Bible study course, his presidency of the YMCA in high school, and his daily attendance at chapel. (c) Dr. Bob and Bill and their families regularly attended Congregational Churches in East Dorset, Manchester, and St. Johnsbury, Vermont. Ask your tormenter if he knows anything at all about the Smith--Wilson--Griffith participation in those churches. (4) Early AAs called themselves a "Christian fellowship." Ask your tormenter if he knows where that fact is reported in A.A. Conference-approved literature. . (5) The first three AAs all believed in God, were Christians, and had been Bible students or teachers in church. Ask your tormenter where the first three AAs told of their reliance on the "Lord" and on their "Heavenly Father." See also www.dickb.com
#dickbaachristianity
dickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply