Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2016, 11:02 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Even More Recovery Readings and Meditations - February 7

February 7

Step by Step

Today, be not too eager to “Let Go and Let God.” In whatever needs to be handed over to my Higher Power, there may be something I must learn about myself before – and if – I let it go. If something I think is bad and is causing me feelings I don’t want to feel, I may need another Fourth or at least a 10th step to ask if the problem is ME, not the situation or another person. And if the problem is me, I need to determine why. If the issue is someone or something else, I must ask God for His will and if the matter is something that I should and must confront instead of taking the “easy out” by letting it go. Today, I ask God for the wisdom to know the difference between dealing with something painful but which might give me growth – and expecting Him to do what He wants ME to handle. And our common journey continues. Step by step. – Chris M.

~ EASY DOES IT ~ (A Book of Daily 12 Step Meditations) ~

THE NOW

Yesterday is gone; forget it. Tomorrow never comes; don’t worry. Today is here; get busy.

~ Anonymous ~

When we live in the now, for this day only, one day at a time, we assure ourselves a comfortable reality. We cannot afford to regret the past. Solutions that worked for yesterday’s problems might be obsolete today.

Thinking into the future is projection, an act of purely wishful thinking that is a waste of precious time for growth. The time we spend “projecting” is time wasted. The future is never what we project it to be. Instead of spending time thinking about the future in the present, we can be spending time making the present better.

The only thing that emerges from thinking about the negative parts of our past is guilt and shame. The only thing that emerges from thinking about our future is fear of the unknown. We can eliminate guilt, shame, and fear from our present lives by dealing only with the present.

Today I will spend each moment in the here and now, making the present better.

~ WISDOM TO KNOW ~ (More Daily Meditations For Men) ~

You don’t get harmony when everybody sing the same note.

~ Doug Floyd ~

A tradition of our healing program is that we put principles above personalities. When we encounter a diverse group of people, we find some with whom we feel an immediate affinity and closeness, and others we don’t particularly like. But we can learn something valuable from both types. Whether at our workplace, at our place of worship, or in our Twelve Step meetings, the diversity of a group enriches everyone. The wisdom of two or three is greater than the closed loop in our own individual mind.

Sometimes it takes a while to arrive at that wisdom. The Twelve Steps were created by a group of people trying to formulate a set of suggestions that they had found effective as a path of recovery. They disagreed and debated over how to express that set of steps. What they created was better than what any one of them could have done alone. The groups we are in have the same spiritual creative process working for our own recovery. So we listen to the harmony created by the wisdom of our group. Even when we don’t like what we hear, we continue the dialogue and we grow through it.

Today I am grateful for the harmony created by the diversity of people in my life.

~ A WOMAN’S SPIRIT ~ (More Meditations For Women) ~

To gain maturity I need to become acquainted with all aspects of myself.

~ Maureen Brady ~

Learning about ourselves is often likened to peeling an onion. We’ve grown layer on top of layer, sometimes for the purpose of protecting ourselves. None of us came from the perfect home. We’ve learned there is no such thing. We’ve all experienced injuries, some physical, some emotional, and we’ve figured out how to handle these hurts and go on with our lives. To be really healthy, however, we have to unlearn many of the cures that seemed effective in the past.

Delving into our psyches to discover who we really are can be intimidating. Fortunately we have the Fourth Step to guide our efforts. Let’s not lament who we became in our struggle to grow up. Instead, let’s accept that we did the best we could. And with the help of this program, we can become who we want to be.

I write my script today. Who I choose to be is in my power. My past performance doesn’t determine my present personality.

~ TODAY I WILL DO ONE THING ~ (Daily Readings for Awareness and Hope) ~

I can admit my dual problems

At times before recovery, I was losing control over my moods and over my life. I felt like I was coming apart. One week I felt on top of the world, the next month I was in the gutter. It didn’t help that I kept drinking through it all. I was afraid, I was in danger, and I didn’t know where to turn.

I threatened suicide—spent two nights in a locked ward—and got a clue. At rock bottom, I realized there was only one way left to go. First, I admitted to myself that I no longer had control over my life. Then, I admitted this fact to another person: I asked for help. In doing so, I had taken the first Step.

I will humbly share my Step One story and talk about the relief, freedom, and strength of admitting (and accepting) my dual illness.

~ BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT ~ (Inspiration and Support for Recovery) ~

I’ve got four things to live by: don’t say nothing that will hurt anybody; don’t give advice, nobody will take it anyway; don’t complain; don’t explain.

~ Edward “Death Valley Scotty” Scott ~

Learning to mind our own business is one of life’s trickiest lessons. Often, we may find ourselves in the role of “master fixer,” feeling we are responsible for other people instead of being responsible to them. Putting our foot into the middle of someone else’s life we can get our toes stepped on as we discover that most people relish directing their own lives. It’s hard at first to step back and let others make their own decisions, especially if we feel we know what’s best for them. But letting others tend their own lives frees us to take care of ourselves.

In giving our loved ones back the reins of their lives we must trust that they know what’s the best for them and that they’ll do the best they can. Our negative comments and critiques are, in fact, just another form of control.

When we live and let others live we create breathing room. We have more room for ourselves and for others.

Today let me live my own life and allow others the right to live theirs.

~ MORNING LIGHT ~ (Meditations to Begin Your Day) ~

All growth is a leap in the dark, a spontaneous unpremeditated act without benefit of experience.

~ Henry Miller ~

From time to time you may move through the day with little energy or interest, as if on automatic pilot—taking the same route to work, eating the same meals, attending the same meetings, or spending time with the same people. You may ask, “Where am I going in my life?” But a more productive question is, “Where am I growing in my life?”

Although familiar routines provide comfort, they can prevent you from experiencing new challenges, excitement, and opportunities for change and growth. Doing something new or different every once in a while can help you break out of the rut of your daily grind and give you something new to think or talk about.

Today, strive to experience something new and different in your life. Take a new route to work. Stop at a different coffee shop. Strike up a conversation with some-one you do not know at a meeting. Accept an invitation to dinner. Such experiences can spark a new interest in your life and stimulate you into a new way of thinking, feeling, and acting.

The goal of doing something new is awareness, not anxiety. Today I will be open to new experiences and view them as a source of challenge, novelty, and excitement.

~ NIGHT LIGHT ~ (A Book Of Nighttime Meditations) ~

Do not consider any thing for your interest which makes you break your word, quit your modesty, or inclines you to any practice which will not bear the light, or look the world in the face.

~ Marcus Antonius ~

Being honest with ourselves and others may be difficult for us. Honesty does not always mean telling the truth. Honesty can also mean knowing our limitations so we don’t make promises we can’t keep. It can mean letting our actions support our statements. It can mean living for today and not becoming wrapped up in the promises of tomorrow.

How do we feel when people are dishonest? No matter who they are, we probably lose a little trust in them. We doubt their word and don’t depend upon them for support. When we are less than honest with others, they may feel the same about us.

Dishonesty may be a quick fix at that moment, but it will never provide a solid foundation for the future. Instead, we can try to be more honest with our abilities and limitations. Honest people attract those who respect them for their honesty.

I can be honest with myself and others about the events of the day and my part in them.

~ DAY BY DAY ~ (Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts) ~

Avoiding compulsiveness

Being compulsive people, once we leave the alcohol and other drugs behind, we want our dreams fulfilled now. But when we first get into recovery, all we have is potential. Fulfillment is not realized immediately; rather it is something we work toward.

Each day we must work on our lives with what we know today. Gradually we will grow closer toward our ideal. (Recovery is a process.) But we won’t get anywhere if we try forcing ourselves into situations we are not ready for. God sets the pace.

Have I stopped being compulsive?

Higher Power, I pray for the patience to live today with what I have and what I know.

I will avoid being compulsive today by

God help me to stay clean and sober today!

~ IF YOU WANT WHAT WE HAVE ~ (Sponsorship Meditations) ~

Every new moment that arises in your life can now be a point of choice…in which you can choose to treat yourself and others with Compassion rather than Judgment.

~ DAVID HARP ~

Newcomer

I wince every time I hear the words “God as we understood Him” and “Higher Power.” When meetings close with the Lord’s Prayer, I feel like I’m being railroaded. I don’t fit into the same religious slot that other people seem to take for granted.

Sponsor

All of us qualify to be here, but not because of any religious identification or belief. Most of us are tolerant of differences, but, being human, some of us forget that not everyone shares the same religious context. Whatever an individual member has to say about the role of his or her Higher Power, the only requirement for membership is the desire to stop using the addictive substance that got us here.

Once I heard a member say, “This meeting is my church.” I’m glad that notion works for her. By the same token, I’ve always been grateful that this program is not a church—otherwise, I might have to rebel against it! We’re not required to subscribe to a particular set of religious beliefs or rituals. In recovery, each of us is free to explore what we believe.

Today, I respect others’ rights to their beliefs, just as I respect my own. I bring my love of openness, inclusiveness, and harmony with me wherever I go.

~ THE EYE OPENER ~

You want the world to be better? Then be better yourself. True, you are only one individual in a thickly populated world, but your life touches hundreds of others and each of those touches hundreds more. Who knows how far the influence of one smile travels or where a word of wisdom will take root? Even should your influence for good extend no further than your own skin, there will be at least one less rogue in the world.

~ WALK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG BOOK ~ (Official & Unofficial Sloganeering From the 12 Step Programs) ~

1) FOG: Fear Of God

2) Don’t “Should” on yourself.

3) Better living through denial.

~ The 12 STEP PRAYER BOOK ~ (A Collection of Favorite 12 Step Prayers and Inspirational Readings) ~

Take Time

Today I pray that I can:
Take time to think.
It is the source of power.
Take time to play.
It is the secret of perpetual youth.
Take time to read.
It is the fountain of wisdom.
Take time to pray.
It is the greatest power on earth.
Take time to be friendly.
It is the road to happiness.
Take time to laugh.
It is the music of the soul.
Take time to give.
It is too short a day to be selfish.
Take time to work.
It is the price of success.
Take time to do charity.
It is the key to heaven.

~ AROUND THE YEAR WITH EMMET FOX ~ (A Book of Daily Readings) ~

THY KINGDOM COME

Thy kingdom come (Matthew 6:10)

Man being manifestation or expression of God has a limitless destiny before him. His work is to express, in concrete definite form, the abstract ideas with which God furnishes him, and in order to do this, he must have creative power. Elsewhere, he would be merely a machine through which God worked—an automaton. But man, having the nature of his Father, remains a creator. Notice the word creator means undivided. The consciousness of man is not separated from God’s consciousness.

“Thy kingdom come” means that it is our duty to be ever occupied in helping to establish; the Kingdom of God on earth. That is to say, our work is to bring more upon this plane. That is what we are here for. The old saying, “God has a plan for every man, and he has one for you,” is quite correct.

If only you will find out the thing God intends you to do, and will do it, you will find that all doors will open to you; all obstacles in your path will melt away; you will be acclaimed a brilliant success; you will be most liberally rewarded from the monetary point of view; and you will be gloriously happy.

There is a true place in life for each one of us, upon the attainment of which we shall be completely happy, and perfectly secure. On the other hand, until we do find our true place we never shall be either happy or secure, not matter what other things we may have. Our true place is the one place where we can bring the Kingdom of God into manifestation, and truly say, “Thy kingdom cometh.”

~ A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE ~ (365 Daily Inspirations for Heart-Centered Living) ~

Buy a Ticket

Pray devoutly, hammer stoutly.

~ English proverb ~

Every day Ralph prayed to God to help him win the lottery. Each week when he didn’t win, Ralph became more and more frustrated, and he grew angry at God. Finally in exasperation, Ralph went to church, stood before the altar, shook his fist, and railed, “If you are a true God, how can you say that prayer works? I have been praying for a long time to win the lottery, and now I have less money than when I started! Why have you not helped me? ”

Suddenly, a deep voice from above the altar boomed, “The least you could do, Ralph, is buy a lottery ticket!”

God is delighted to answer our prayers, but we must act in accordance with our intentions. We cannot expect to sit around and do nothing while God dances for us. We must dream with our feet moving. God can do no more for you than It can do through you. Manifestation is a co-creative enterprise. You are not expected to do it all yourself (indeed you cannot), but do not expect God to do it all for you. “On earth as it is in heaven” means that we act with the authority of God, even on the physical plane. Vision is the key, but action is that hand that turns it to unlock the door.

I offer you my hands, feet, heart, mind, and voice to manifest your love on earth. Together we can do anything.

I act in accordance with my vision, and Spirit manifests blessings through me.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply