Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2016, 11:21 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Even More Recovery Readings and Meditations - February 9

February 9

Step by Step

Today, set aside a couple of minutes to think about drinking. And in mustering the courage to be absolutely honest, Memory Lane will be strewn with broken whiskey bottles, broken hearts, broken dreams, broken promises, broken potential, lost time, lost jobs, lost friends, lost relatives, grief, sorrow, tears, loneliness, emptiness, prayers to a porcelain god, dry heaves, the color of vomit on a bed pillow the morning after, remorse, guilt, and swearing no more – until I jump into the insanity of the vicious cycle again. There are no fond memories of alcohol, no memories of any good times before they weren’t good anymore, no romanticizing of the reality of my drinking. Today, I’ll think about drinking – and I’ll refuse to lose anymore. And our common journey continues. Step by step. – Chris M.

~ EASY DOES IT ~ (A Book of Daily 12 Step Meditations) ~

EMOTIONS

We know too much and feel too little. At least we feel too little of those creative emotions from which a good life springs.

~ Bertrand Russell ~

A fear of dealing with deep emotional experiences must not become a retreat from reality. We can’t stick our heads and our hearts in the sand and avoid experiencing our emotions, and still hope to grow in the Program. Only robots are emotionless, unable to grow and change.

We need energy to make the spiritual growth to which we aspire. All emotions are sources of energy. None are static. Power emerges from every emotion, be it positive and constructive, or negative and harmful. The power unleashed by our emotions will fuel our spiritual growth if we use it correctly.

We need to steer the energy of dangerous emotions such as fear and anger into beneficial channels. We need to keep emotions like love and humility from becoming excessive.

I am fortunate to have found a way to deal with positive and negative emotions through my recovery program.

~ WISDOM TO KNOW ~ (More Daily Meditations For Men) ~

I never think of the future, it comes soon enough.

~ Albert Einstein ~

In our spiritual development, we learn to think about time in new ways. Many of us have come to our healing journey stuck in the past, imprisoned by fears or angers that arose years ago. We live in the past through regrets and grief’s about things that can never change, and we translate them into the future with fears and foreboding. Yet we all know that life is only in the present. All we need to do is live today.

Our memories shaped us but our development is not finished. Today, we don’t have to deal with all the problems we can foresee in the future. Today we are given a hand to play, and we can play the cards we have as we choose. With the spiritual guidance of our recovery path, we can resolve the pain of the past and our fears of the future. Our Higher Power reassures us that we will never be alone.

Today, once again, I awake into the present and I thank God for the chance to live this day. I will let my Higher Power care for my fears and regrets.

~ A WOMAN’S SPIRIT ~ (More Meditations For Women) ~

Prayer is not a science.

~ Mary McDermott Shideler ~

Since becoming clean and sober, many of us are coming to understand the purpose and value of prayer in our lives. Our friends tell us that any words spoken in sincerity to our Higher Power serve as prayers. That’s good fortune for women like us.

This means we have the freedom to pray in any way that satisfies us. Now we can talk with God whenever and however it suits us. We will be heard, always. We will be answered when the time Is right. What an empowering opportunity! Coming to believe this gives us a respite from our Incessant fretting over everyday concerns.

Prayer can be anything—a thought, a request, a conversation, a plea, a dream. Our honesty is all that’s needed. Prayer is not mysterious unless we make it so.

Every thought I take to God is a prayer. Today I’ll be free of anxiety if I think of God before every action I take.

~ TODAY I WILL DO ONE THING ~ (Daily Readings for Awareness and Hope) ~

I want to face my liabilities

I’ve been afraid to do Steps Four and Five. Although it makes sense to become more honest about myself, I’m afraid of the guilt and the shame—some of which I’m feeling already. I am afraid that somehow I’ll be rejected or punished. Yet what I need more than anything is understanding and acceptance.

As I have struggled (and watched others struggle) with these two Steps, I’ve learned that their acceptance and forgiveness are so important to my recovery. But I’ve also learned that one must be ready to do them. (There is no hurry. There are no tests. And it’s OK to take my time.) Before proceeding with Steps Four and Five, I need faith in my higher power, trust in the program, and the courage to face my liabilities.

When I feel ready, first I will carefully pace my inventory. Then I’ll select a Fifth Step listener who truly understands dual recovery.

~ BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT ~ (Inspiration and Support for Recovery) ~

There is no greatness where there is not simplicity, goodness, and truth.

~ Leo Tolstoy ~

Intimacy is friendship at its deepest level, the profound comfort that comes from complete trust between two human beings. It means being loved unconditionally, as is, for our spiritual selves rather than as a package with decorative trimmings and marks of status. And it means loving back the same way.

We learn about intimacy from our families of origin. Many of us, however, didn’t have very good role models, so intimacy eludes us.

But all is not lost. Working the Twelve Steps in a Twelve Step fellowship makes us honest. Then when someone loves us, they love us. We are being who we really are (as best we know) and in so being we offer ourselves to another. It doesn’t mean we won’t get hurt if the feelings aren’t mutual, but at least we’re spared the effort of trying to be what we’re not or living in fear that we’ll be found out. On the other hand, if the feelings are mutual, what great joy to finally be with a friend and be who we really are.

Today help me find the courage to be as honest as I can be in all that I do.

~ MORNING LIGHT ~ (Meditations to Begin Your Day) ~

Making mental connections is our most crucial learning tool… to see patterns, relationships, context.

~ Marilyn Ferguson ~

One day, on the famous “bullet train” from Kyoto to Tokyo, passengers rushed to one side of the train just in time to see thick clouds suddenly part, revealing the beauty of Mount Fuji. They exclaimed with excitement and took pictures until, just as suddenly, the clouds once again hid the mountain.

The incident affected the rest of the journey. People who had been strangers started talking to one another, more aware of all around them. Those who had been sleeping awakened and watched the scenery pass by as the train sped to its destination.

Those passengers shared a common connection that brought them unity. The same is true in your recovery. You are an essential part of every meeting you attend. The story you bring to others is a story with which they are familiar. The thoughts and feelings you have resonate with them. Every time you share your thoughts and feelings, you become empowered. It is through this connection that you can come to realize that you are an important part of the world.

Today I will be aware of the simple truth that I belong. I trust that I am part of everything and everyone around me.

~ NIGHT LIGHT ~ (A Book Of Nighttime Meditations) ~

Life is like a library owned by an author. In it are a few books which he wrote himself, but most of them were written for him.

~ Harry Emerson Fosdick ~

In our minds there are multitudes of stored memories, knowledge, and skills. Some of these are the results of living and learning, but most are information given to us by others. Our family, friends, co-workers, teachers, and children are the greatest sources for our storehouses of information.

Most of our learning comes from others. Teachers give us much in the way of facts. Our family instructs us in morals. Friends show us different personalities and lifestyles. Our children reflect what we’ve taught them and give us their views of the world.

All the information we have is valuable to our growth and maturity. Every person we meet, each place we visit, and everything we try contribute to our library of knowledge and experience. At times we may borrow from what is on our shelves, but we must keep our shelves stocked with fresh material. Each night we can write a new volume based on the day’s experiences.

I have more valuable contributions to make to my library of knowledge and experience.

~ DAY BY DAY ~ (Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts) ~

Remembering our powerlessness

If we’ve been around so long that we think our bad times are over and we can’t get “crazy” again, then we probably have already gotten “crazy” in the head. None of us is immune to relapse nor so spiritual that we have no room for improvement. If we think we no longer need help, we may be in trouble already.

If we have forgotten our powerlessness, we may have to learn it all over again. As addicts, we will always be at risk to relapse, but with proper guidance we can be productive and fulfilled.

Do I realize how powerless and at risk I truly am?

Higher Power, I take pride and joy in being clean and sober, but help me remember how powerless I still am and keep me humble.

I will remind myself of my powerlessness today by

God help me to stay clean and sober today!

~ IF YOU WANT WHAT WE HAVE ~ (Sponsorship Meditations) ~

Example is always more efficacious than precept.

~ SAMUEL JOHNSON ~

Newcomer

It’s devastating to me to watch old friends and family members whose lives are still being screwed up by this disease. How can I convince them to join me in recovery before it’s too late? I’m sad and frustrated. Life’s so unfair! Why am I in recovery, while they’re still suffering?

Sponsor

Recovery is a gift that somehow, against all the odds, has been given to you. You can refuse it, trash it, or think yourself out of it. Loss of recovery not only would be your loss, but would also be a loss to all who could be helped by your example. You have a responsibility to maintain it each day, to nurture it by going to meetings, by using the tools that have been given to you, and above all by not picking up addictive substances and behaviors.

Friends and family members who need recovery but who don’t want it yet may be able to see the changes in us over time. Even though we’d like more than anything to persuade them to do themselves a favor and join us in recovery right now, we need to accept that this approach doesn’t work. Could anyone have persuaded you?

I am entitled to the gift of my recovery. I cherish this gift, not by preaching or trying to rescue others, but by making recovery central in my own life.

~ THE EYE OPENER ~

Many practicing alcoholics know their desperate need for AA, but are reluctant to do anything about it as they feel their friends would ridicule them, and so they continue drinking and making themselves ridiculous.

Too many of us put too much emphasis on the reactions of people whose reactions are not worth considering.

~ WALK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG BOOK ~ (Official & Unofficial Sloganeering From the 12 Step Programs) ~

1) Sometimes the worst things in life happen after you get what you think you want.

2) FOG: Fear, Obligation, Guilt

3) Don’t just do something. Stand there!

~ The 12 STEP PRAYER BOOK ~ (A Collection of Favorite 12 Step Prayers and Inspirational Readings) ~

Language of the Heart

Dear God, You know my needs before I ask, my heart before I pray, and my gratitude before I even offer my thanks. You understand me better than I understand myself, and I thank You for communicating with me in the language of the heart.

~ AROUND THE YEAR WITH EMMET FOX ~ (A Book of Daily Readings) ~

OUR DAILY BREAD

Give us this day our daily bread (Matthew 6:11)

Because we are the children of a loving Father, we are entitled to expect that God will provide us fully with everything we need. If we do so expect, in faith and understanding, we shall never look in vain.

It is the Will of God that we should all lead healthy, happy lives, full of joyous experience; that we should develop freely and steadily. To this end we require such things as food, clothing, shelter, means of travel, books, and so on; above all, we require freedom. In the Prayer all these things are included under the heading of bread. Bread, that is to say, means not merely food in general, but all things that man requires for a healthy, happy, free, and harmonious life. But in order to obtain these things, we have to claim them, not necessarily in detail, but we have to claim them, and, we have to recognize God and God alone as the Source and fountainhead of all our good. Lack of any kind is always traceable to the fact that we have been seeking our supply from some secondary source, instead of from God Himself, the Author and Giver of life.

~ A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE ~ (365 Daily Inspirations for Heart-Centered Living) ~

As Thyself

I have an everyday religion that works for me. Love yourself first, and everything else falls into line.

~ Lucille Ball ~

“My ex-wife wants me to do one thing, my son wants me to do something else, and my girlfriend has another agenda,” Tom complained to me during a seminar.

“What would you like to do?” I asked.

Tom looked stunned. “Me? I don’t know.”

“Think about it,” I suggested.

The next day, Tom came on-stage and reported, “Yesterday was a turning point in my life. Alan asked me what I wanted to do, and that was the perfect question. I realized that I’ve spent most of my life trying to please other people. For a moment, I set aside what everyone else was asking me to do and considered what would make me happy. I came up with something that not only empowered me but would work for everyone else. I feel like I have my life back!”

Jesus’s most often-quoted commandment is: “Love thy neighbor as thy–self.” Usually we equate this advice with taking good care of our neighbors, but we often overlook the “as thyself” portion. If you are loving your neighbor more than yourself, or at the expense of yourself, you have not fulfilled the commandment. Jesus was suggesting that we love all equally, including ourselves. If your vision of service does not include your own happiness, you’ve left out a very important person.

The universe works on a win-win basis. There is always a way for everyone to be taken care of. Do not stop until you have blessed everyone, including yourself.

Help me find the compassion to honor my own heart, along with others.

I give myself the kindness and forgiveness I would shove others.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply