Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Even More Recovery Readings and Meditations - February 11

February 11

Step by Step

Today, empower no one and nothing to doubt the self-confidence and self-respect I have developed in my recovery, nor will my progress be discouraged. People I might have injured in my drinking days but who cannot or will not accept my amends may want nothing more than to see me fail. They will not have that control over me, even if insecurity might want me to yield just to avoid a problem. But a bigger problem looms if I permit anyone or any situation to implant in me deeper insecurity or a disgraced self-confidence and self-respect. Today, with the AA’s principles as my lifeline, I will hold tightly onto what I have gained and will not allow anyone or anything to take it from me – not even alcohol. And our common journey continues. Step by step. – Chris M.

~ EASY DOES IT ~ (A Book of Daily 12 Step Meditations) ~

SERVICE

Whomsoever shall compel you to go with him one mile… go with him…. Go another mile.

~ Og Mandino ~

No effort must ever seem so great that it will stop us from giving completely of ourselves in helping someone find the kind of life others helped us find. It is the responsibility of each member to go to any lengths in giving service. Whatever sacrifice it may require from us will bring great rewards.

We always learn that, in the act of one person helping another, no person can give without receiving, or get without giving. We learn from our sponsors that when they help us, they are also helping themselves. This experience is a very important part of the Program. Our 1st, 2nd, and 5th Traditions are grounded in the principle of service to others. We are privileged to share in that experience.

When I undertake to help another person or our Fellowship, I must strive to do more and serve better than is expected of me.

~ WISDOM TO KNOW ~ (More Daily Meditations For Men) ~

Time spent lauding is time spent with the gods.

~ Japanese proverb ~

Many of our stories have both a dark and a light side. As we make peace with ourselves, we can take ourselves less seriously. We hang out with others who have had similar experiences and we begin to relax. That is when the healing effect of laughter can move in. The worst of times has its funny side, and learning to laugh at it lightens the burden.

The inside jokes of a group that has lived through hard times are wonderful things to share. Suddenly we don’t feel so alone. If my brother can laugh at the stupid things he did, I can laugh at myself too. That sense of recognition—we know what it was like, we are insiders—is another form of bonding that heals us.

Today I will not take myself so seriously that I cannot laugh at myself.

~ A WOMAN’S SPIRIT ~ (More Meditations For Women) ~

Learning to listen to one’s own inner voice is the last crucial step to wholeness.

~ Paula Sunray ~

How does our inner voice develop? Those of us who grew up in violent families most often heard abusive voices. Or perhaps we grew up in near- empty homes where the absence of attention Injured our well-being. Almost certainly, the voices most of us heard didn’t affirm us. But the voices we can now cultivate, with the help of this program, will change us and make us whole and healthy.

Developing the inner voice we want and deserve may seem difficult at first. Luckily, sponsors get us on the right track, modeling habits that will help us change our lives, just as soon as we express our willingness. Becoming whole is our decision, and developing a healthy inner voice is our responsibility. Utilizing the program tools assures it.

I can listen to a loving inner voice if I practice loving myself and others today.

~ TODAY I WILL DO ONE THING ~ (Daily Readings for Awareness and Hope) ~

I help myself when I help others

Some nights when the phone rings, I hope it isn’t a friend calling for support. Even though I have some time in dual recovery, I’ve still got my own worries. I’ve still got my own pain. Some nights I just don’t have the energy for helping.

And yet, somewhere, through my higher power, I find the energy. When I hear a voice in pain, when I am asked for help, I know that I can listen. I don’t have to take on the pain or fix the problem, but I can be a good listener. And when the conversation is over, I can feel lighter about my own worries and yet stronger for having helped.

I will answer any call for support with all the strength of my program.

~ BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT ~ (Inspiration and Support for Recovery) ~

Be still…

~ Anonymous ~

“Be still,” says a mother to her children or a teacher to his or her students. At one time or another all of us have been told to be still, sometimes for good reason.

There is also good reason to tell ourselves to be still. Life is often hectic and stressful. Work, school, family, and social life can pull us in many directions. When we can hardly think because of so many things going on at once, the message “be still” is most helpful.

By stopping what we are doing and being still, we give our body, mind, and spirit a chance to recuperate. We can let the world race on without us. It will still be there when we are done, but by learning the art of being still, we re-enter the world more relaxed. And relaxed, we no longer are reacting to forces out of our control — we are accepting those things and choosing to put our energy into what we can control. Stillness gives us serenity and choices. It is how we work together with our Higher Power.

Today help me practice being still.

~ MORNING LIGHT ~ (Meditations to Begin Your Day) ~

It seems to me that there are two great enemies of peace— fear and selfishness.

~ Katherine Paterson ~

Imagine you are going on a vacation. A friend has offered to help you pack your bags, take you out to lunch, and then drive you to the airport.

You lay out the clothes and toiletries you will take, and your friend starts to pack them but not in your usual way. So you tell your friend how the items should be packed. Later your friend takes you to a restaurant. But it isn’t one you like, so you tell your friend to take you to the place where you want to eat. As your friend drives you to the airport, you notice it is not the route you would have taken, so you tell your friend the route to take. When you arrive at the airport, is it any wonder that your friend is more than happy to toss your bags out of the car and leave you on the curb?

When things do not go the way you want or planned, let go. Reach out to your Higher Power for the serenity you need.

When I humbly reach out to my Higher Power, I give up my need to control. Today I trust that my Higher Power will always hear and answer my prayers.

~ NIGHT LIGHT ~ (A Book Of Nighttime Meditations) ~

If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain.

~ Emily Dickinson ~

Many times we may say, “I need a meeting,” or “I need to call someone.” There are times when other people say the same things because they, too, are in need. The purpose of the program is to help ourselves, but we need to remember others are there to help themselves too. Do we know someone who needs help?

There are so many great rewards in helping another through a time of need. Probably the greatest reward is that we lose our self-centeredness. Helping another through pain or sorrow also lets us help ourselves through our pain and sorrow. We say some helpful things to another that we, too, benefit from hearing.

A third reward is seeing another person’s vulnerability. We may find it easier to take risks and expose our humanness by seeing another do the same. Finally, helping another is a way of showing love in a nonphysical way. Many of us may need to learn love isn’t only a relationship or sex. Love is gently showing concern and compassion with no thoughts of reciprocation.

I can help another and know there are great rewards in reaching out.

~ DAY BY DAY ~ (Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts) ~

Avoiding procrastination

In the midst of our addiction, everything could be put off, including people: We had to have our stuff.

Now that we have the business of life to tend to—now that we have a life—are we doing what we need to today? Or are we putting things off until tomorrow? If we don’t take care of business today, we could relapse and lose what we have gained from the Twelve Steps and the fellowship.

Have I stopped procrastinating?

Higher Power, help me do what I need to do today; help me persevere to prevent losing what I have gained.

Today I will do three things that I have been putting off, they are

God help me to stay clean and sober today!

~ IF YOU WANT WHAT WE HAVE ~ (Sponsorship Meditations) ~

Rest in natural great peace.

~ NYOSHULKHENPO ~

Newcomer

I keep hearing people say that giving up the addiction itself is only the beginning of the process. Today I’m feeling upset and downhearted. I don’t know if I can face the literature on the Steps yet.

Sponsor

As we prepare to continue on the path of the Steps, we can do an exercise that helps quiet our mental agitation and gently begins to restore our sense of connection with positive forces in our lives. We start by finding a comfortable position, either sitting or lying down, with our spines straight but relaxed. We can close our eyes, if that helps us concentrate. We take several deeper, slower breaths. Then we take a few minutes to think of positive aspects of our lives. One by one, we make mental note of things we’re grateful for. If we can’t think of any, we begin with air, water, food, then see what else occurs to us. As each blessing comes to mind, we picture it clearly and see ourselves benefiting from it. We breathe it in, and breathe out heartfelt gratitude. This is an exercise we can do any time of the day or night, even in situations when we’re not alone. It need only take a few moments.

Cultivating gratitude can help change our belief that what lies ahead will be burdensome. When you’re ready to begin exploring the Steps, you may even feel the joy and excitement that accompany an adventure.

Today, I feel life’s richness and beauty. I let it fill me.

~ THE EYE OPENER ~

AA is full of paradoxes. Our great Victory came as a result of our unconditional surrender; because we fell we are able to lift others; because of our mental, moral and spiritual illness we attained a health we never had in our non-alcoholic days; because we were social outcasts we have become the hope of society.

Alcoholism, which was our weakness, has indeed become our strength.

~ WALK SOFTLY AND CARRY A BIG BOOK ~ (Official & Unofficial Sloganeering From the 12 Step Programs) ~

1) Don’t judge yourself by the way you feel.

2) Sometimes you have to stop looking to find what you need.

3) FUBAR: ****ed Up Beyond All Recognition

~ The 12 STEP PRAYER BOOK ~ (A Collection of Favorite 12 Step Prayers and Inspirational Readings) ~

The Way

Dear Lord, today I pray:
The way is long
Let us go together.
The way is difficult
Let us help each other.
The way is joyful
Let us share it.
The way is ours alone
Let us go in love.
The way grows before us
Let us begin.

~ AROUND THE YEAR WITH EMMET FOX ~ (A Book of Daily Readings) ~

CLAIMING OUR DAILY BREAD

The common mistake, of course, is to suppose that a formal recognition of God is sufficient, or that that talking about divine things is the same as possessing them; but this is exactly on a par with supposing that looking at a tray of food, or discussing the chemical composition of sundry foodstuffs, is the same thing as actually eating a meal. It is this mistake that is responsible for the fact that people sometimes pray for a thing for years without any tangible results. If prayer is a force at all, it cannot be possible to pray without something happening. Pray regularly and quietly—then presently, the realization will come.

Another reason why the symbol of bread for the experience of the Presence of God is such a telling one, is that the act of eating food is essentially a thing that must be done for oneself. No one can assimilate food for another. In the same way, the realization of the Presence of God is a thing that no one can have for us.

For he satisfieth the longing soul, and filleth the hungry soul with goodness (Psalm 107:9).

~ A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE ~ (365 Daily Inspirations for Heart-Centered Living) ~

Priorities

If you greatly desire something, have the guts to stake everything on obtaining it.

~ Brendan Francis ~

“You’ve got to hear this woman play the violin,” my friend Albert elbowed me. “It will bring you to tears.” (That wouldn’t surprise me, I thought—some of my friends have played the violin for me, and each time I wanted to cry.) When Barbara played at the concert I was attending, however, I was moved to my depths. She wielded the bow with awesome mastery and extracted a tone from her instrument unlike any I have ever heard. Within moments I was enraptured, and I did not want Barbara to stop. When she did, the audience gave her a standing ovation.

After the concert, Albert told me, “The way that Barbara got that violin a Stradivarius was as amazing as her performance. She was looking for a new violin in a modest price range, but when she found this violin, she knew it was for her. As you can expect, the price was astronomical. So she sold her house to buy the violin.”

I believe that Barbara made the right choice. The breadth of passion, joy, and beauty she brought into the world through playing that violin far exceeded any gifts she might have offered by inviting friends to her house for tea.

It is said that “all healing occurs outside of the safety zone.” In the same way success and extraordinary beauty are born of leaps of faith. When your heart is intent on living your dream, you will gladly let go of everything that is unlike the dream in order to manifest your vision.

Give me the knowledge of my worthiness, and the courage to invest in myself.

I am willing to give it all to have it all.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Post New ThreadReply