Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2016, 09:59 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 15

Wisdom for Today
“Made direct amends.” Doing the repair work I needed to do required action on my part. For some of the people I had harmed, I really had no idea even where to begin. Saying I was sorry just would not be enough. I had said that I was sorry a million times. What was required was change. I needed to make a firm commitment not to behave in the ways I had when I was drinking and using drugs. I needed to be different. It was this difference that would potentially repair the damage. I had to be careful though. I could neither assume nor expect that the mending of what I had done would be accepted. Forgiveness and reconciliation are gifts of grace, and there were those whom I had harmed that would not be gracious.

The amends I made were not so much for the other person but for me. I could look at myself and know in my mind and my heart that I had cleaned my side of the street. I could not assume that the other person would be willing to even acknowledge my effort. Fortunately the vast majority of people I knew did accept me again. Forgiveness and reconciliation happened, and new bonds were formed. Perhaps the greatest pay off for me in completing this step was the fact that I no longer was tormented by my past. The Big Book says, “We will not regret the past, nor will we wish to shut the door on it.” I believe this only becomes true in completing this step. Today I can look at the past, but I don’t have to stare at it. Can I make amends without expectations?
Meditations for the Heart
It is truly a gift of recovery to be able to reclaim relationships. Through the process of making amends, my relationships with family and friends improved by leaps and bounds. People that I had hurt, lied to, used and manipulated were able to see a new me and risk trusting me again. But I now know this was only possible because God reclaimed me. I had turned away from God and even run from Him in my addiction; but through the process of recovery, brought about by working the steps, I opened the door to a relationship with a Higher Power. As soon as I did this, God reclaimed me. As soon as I made amends to others and they opened the door to me, I could reclaim these relationships. None of this would have been possible without my Higher Power. Do I recognize the gifts that the program brings?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,

Sometimes I like to take credit for the changes that have occurred in my life. But I know in my heart that none of this would have been possible without You first reclaiming me. Give me the courage to mend the brokenness I caused in my addiction. Let me not be consumed with expectations and simply accept Your gracious gifts.
Amen.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Post New ThreadReply