Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 04-26-2014, 07:13 AM   #31
yukonm
Administrator

April 26

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

I woke up. This had to be stopped. I saw I could not take so much as one drink. I was through forever. Before then, I had written lots of sweet promises, but my wife happily observed that this time I meant business. And so I did.

Shortly afterward I came home drunk. There had been no fight. Where had been my high resolve? I simply didn't know. It hadn't even come to mind. Someone had pushed a drink my way, and I had taken it. Was I crazy? I began to wonder, for such an appalling lack of perspective seemed near being just that. - Pg. 5 - Bill's Story

Hour To Hour - Book - Quote

One thing you will learn in early recovery from addiction, is that you can keep going long after you think you can't. This is because you are not alone. Even if you had no family, no friends, or no co-workers, you would not be alone--for you have us in the fellowships. We are family.

I know I am never abandoned even when I feel the most retched, even when I rant and push against this world, my family in the fellowship is waiting for me to reach out.

Looking Toward What is Good

I am a creative being. I have the power of reason, the ability to think, hope and dream. I can envision my life not only as it is, but as I might wish it to be. I can then think through the steps I might need to become more of who I wish to be. I have the power to think my way into a happy point of view, to see the glass as half full rather than half empty. My mind can be my greatest enemy or my greatest ally. It depends on how I choose to use it.

I hold a beautiful vision of life

- Tian Dayton PhD

Pocket Sponsor - Book - Quote

Being lonely gets in the way of learning how to live alone. You are not alone even though you may have felt alone in a crowd in the past. The remedy for loneliness is service. Show up to a meeting 30 minutes early tonight and help set up. We promise you will not be lonely!

I never have to be alone again.

"Walk Softly and Carry a Big Book" - Book

You cannot think yourself sober, read yourself sober or act yourself sober. You must live yourself sober.

Time for Joy - Book - Quote

Today I am open to all the powers of the universe. I am letting them work for me and carry me to my next step. JOY!

Alkiespeak - Book - Quote

Do I want to drink, get esophagus lesions, pee blood until I die a horrible death in a flophouse? Or do I want to go to AA, do some meetings, do some steps, live a certain way and stay sober? Ah... Can I get back to you on that? - Charlie C.

One Day At A Time

yukonm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yukonm For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2014, 07:48 AM   #32
yukonm
Administrator

April 27

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Suppose we fall short of the chosen ideal and stumble? Does this mean we are going to get drunk? Some people tell us so. But this is only a half-truth. It depends on us and on our motives. If we are sorry for what we have done, and have the honest desire to let God take us to better things, we believe we will be forgiven and will have learned our lesson. If we are not sorry, and our conduct continues to harm others, we are quite sure to drink. We are not theorizing. These are facts out of our experience. - Pg. 70 - How It Works

You may at times feel particularly antsy or confused. Like now. This is a normal reaction of withdrawing our bodies from chemicals and changing our past behavior. When this happens, we call another person, write down our feelings, pray about it, or do some physical activity.

Right this minute I am alright and I will fill the rest of this hour with one of the above activities.

Seeing Perfection in What Is

I see life as it is today. I do not ask that the world conform to my idea of perfection in order to love it. I see beauty and perfection in things as they are, not as I wish them to be. I forgive life for being imperfect. I forgive people for being imperfect. I forgive myself for being imperfect.I let life, people and me be what we are.

- Tian Dayton PhD

Having a God of our own under-standing does not mean we have to withhold saying 'God' around non-believers. People who try to get the word 'God' out of the Twelve Steps in order not to offend others, are missing the point. The point is, no one has to say 'God' in order to recover, it does not mean others can't call their Higher Power 'God.'

God is the answer. Now what is my problem?

Today you are leading a life. When you were drinking, you were a life being led.

Today I have the courage to face life as it is and make progress a part of my life. I am willing to take chances and grow and risk and feel what it means to be fully alive in the moment.

It takes a lot of courage to stay sober. And if you don't have it, get it from the person sitting next to you, so you can recover for one more day. - Patti O.

One Day At A Time

Old 04-28-2014, 07:33 AM   #33
yukonm
Administrator

April 28

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

We wives found that, like everybody else, we were afflicted with pride, self-pity, vanity and the things which go to make up the self-centered person; and we were not above selfishness or dishonesty. As our husbands began to apply spiritual principles in their lives, we began to see the desirability of doing so too. - Pg. 116 - To Wives

We are now learning to keep our thoughts in recovery and not in the insanity of the past. The easiest way to do this is to say the Serenity Prayer often, use the slogans even if we think they're stupid, go to meetings every day, read the literature, and TALK to other recovering chemical dependents.

May my thoughts more and more be in recovery and less and less in the disease of the past.

Courage

I will develop the courage necessary to meet life. I cannot possibly meet the challenges of my life without courage. Today I understand that courage is something I develop. Each time I go through an experience that stretches me, each time I hold my own feet to the fire, each time I discipline myself and hold myself to a slightly higher standard than before, I grow inside, I get a little bit stronger, I strengthen my own courage to meet the next challenge.

I will I will grow in courage.

Have you ever found yourself saying, 'I can't believe this!' because things have gotten out of hand? You can't believe it because it's gotten out of your hand. This is the time to laugh at yourself for trying to control again-poke fun at the situation, your beliefs, whatever. Have fun.

'When things get goofy beyond belief, it's time to stop believing and get goofy.' ~Pat Samples, Daily Comforts for Caregivers

- Tian Dayton PhD

Resentments are like stray dogs: if you don't pet them, they will go away.

It is exciting to know that my thoughts and my actions in the present moment condition the next moment. I am responsible for my future. Today I am bringing awareness to my self-talk and replacing all negative thoughts with positive thoughts as soon as they appear on my mindscape.

It's AA or Amen. - Anon.

One Day At A Time

Old 04-29-2014, 08:15 AM   #34
yukonm
Administrator

April 29

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

Remind the prospect that his recovery is not dependent upon people. It is dependent upon his relationship with God. - Pg. 100 - Working With Others

Often you may feel very human, very powerless, and question 'of what use are family, friends, suffering, humiliation, and trying to cope with this disease?' In the coming weeks, much rewriting will take place in the chapters of your mind and emotions. Try not to discard the many new drafts, but to edit them and learn the truths imprinted there.

Keep me steadfast, as I adjust to the many new pages in the story of my life.

Empowering My Own Day

There are no victims, only volunteers. If there is something I don't like in the way things are going for me, I will see what I can change. I can change the subject if someone goes on and on about things that I don't want to talk about. I can change my routines and trade un-nourishing ones for nourishing ones, I can set boundaries with my time. My time is precious to me, it is all I have to call my very own. I won't throw it away and then blame someone else. I have a right to protect the quiet and pleasure in my day, to do more of those things that give me pleasure and fewer of things that run me down. If I am living up to my responsibilities, that is enough.

I won't throw my time away with both hands

- Tian Dayton PhD

It is not your duty to solve other people's problems, arbitrate their disputes and raise their children. If you believe this is Twelve Step work, you will only be hurt when they reject your advice and shocked when they blame you for their troubles.

My job is to carry the message, not deliver the drunk.

Not knowing, is not the problem. Not being OK with not knowing is the problem.

With every breath that I take, healing is taking place. I relax safely in the knowledge that positive, healing energy is working in my life today.

I am being renewed and refreshed and energized.

The primary problem for the alcoholic is ego - the primary solution is surrender. - Barney M.

One Day At A Time

Old 04-30-2014, 07:30 AM   #35
yukonm
Administrator

April 30

AA 'Big Book' - Quote

We cannot be helpful to all people, but at least God will show us how to take a kindly and tolerant view of each and every one. - Pg. 67 - How It Works

When you look ahead, you may get discouraged. What will you do without your drug of choice and all the rituals that accompany its use? Yet, living in tomorrow is not only non-productive, you can't do it except in your head. Live in your body; live in today. What must you do in this 24 hours to handle matters and take care of your fragile emotions?

Creator of all that is, reveal to me what is necessary for this 24 hours. Help me focus on now, what is real, and not a future that only exists in my head.

Sincerity

I will be sincere. I will pray with a true heart. I will greet life and the gifts it gives me with an appreciative heart. Today I will not ask life to be something I am not willing to be. I won't ask the world to shower blessings onto me that I am not willing to deserve by my own right action.

I will be the goodness I wish to have

- Tian Dayton PhD

If you don't stand for something, they say you will fall for anything. Do you stand up for recovery? Do you stand up for principle? Do you stand up for the Traditions, Steps, and Fellowship?

United we stand; divided we stagger.

Trying is what got you drunk; doing is what keeps you sober.

As I start this day with quiet meditation, I feel myself becoming still and at peace. At any time during the day I can bring my mind back to this moment. I will bring my attention and awareness back to the peace that I have when I am with my breath and I know that my breath is with me at all times, whether I remember it or not.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. - Phil E.

One Day At A Time

Post New ThreadReply