Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > New to Bluidkiti's Recovery Forums? > Newcomers Recovery Help and Support

Share This Forum!  

Newcomers Recovery Help and Support Stop in here if you are new to recovery and share with us. Feel free to ask questions and for support here.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 12-28-2016, 06:50 PM   #76
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
"Live and Let Live"

When we live and let live, we don't need to criticize, judge, or
condemn others. We have no need to control them or try and
make them conform to our way of thinking. We let others live
their own lives and we live ours.
Love this slogan ever since my sponsor told me the key word was the first one. Live my own life, no longer put it on hold for someone else, no longer looking at the other person to see what they would do, no longer sitting home worrying about what they were doing, but going out and doing for myself.

No longer putting my life on hold, waiting for the other person's wants and desires. So many times I would work myself in to a frazzle and I would be paralyzed and unable to do for myself. All I would do is sit and stew. What is he doing? What is he up to? Was that siren for him? Should I call the hospital? Should I call the police. Went through the same thing with my ex-husband. I am glad that today I have program. It was a hell I don't want to repeat. It helps me to remember when and know that I have a choice, an option to stay in it or get myself out.

Quote:
Live and let live is one of the keys to bring peace into our lives. When we practice tolerance in our lives we are liberated to work on our own issues. When we use this slogan we end many of the conflicts in our lives and gain the ability to stop new ones before they build into big ones.
How often I know the words but get caught up in the moment and how quickly I can forget. That is why I like sharing here. The words come out and put order to my thoughts and I can see where I am at and if I don't others will point it out! That is good. It is so much easier to see it in others and know what is good for them. How easy it is to forget that this is a program of reflection.

Love "Letting Go and Letting God." My problem is keeping it with Him and not taking it back.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2017, 11:59 PM   #77
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

This may be a rerun, but it is a good thought anyway.

Quote:
Alkiespeak - Book - Quote

My sponsor says 'Mark the places where you find God and go there often.' AA meetings are a place where I find God - I think that the power of God is in the group. - Chris C.

Really like this, and although I have called a meeting a God Village for many years, this is a new perspective.

Have also realized as a result of my own personal quest, that every where I went, looking for Him, I found Him. He didn't follow me, I wasn't following Him, He was with me. Everywhere I went, He was there. It was up to me to acknowleldge Him and build a working relationship with Him.

Ironically, the place I often talk to Him the most is in the bathroom. The door is closed on the world, no distractons, just me and my God. When I let go and let God, I get rid of a lot of crap!
Posted on another site in 2012

May God grant you always-
A sunbeam to warm you,
A moonbeam to charm you,
A sheltering angel
So nothing can harm you.
Laughter to cheer you,
Faithful friends near you,
And whenever you pray
Heaven to hear you.

- Author Unknown

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #78
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
"There's a good trick that people in dysfunctional relationships use," said one recovering woman. "The other person does something inappropriate or wrong, then stands there until you feel guilty and end up apologizing."

It's imperative that we stop feeling so guilty.

Much of the time, the things we feel guilty about are not our issues. Another person behaves inappropriately or in some way violates our boundaries. We challenge the behavior, and the person gets angry and defensive. Then we feel guilty.

Guilt can prevent us from setting the boundaries that would be in our best interests, and in other people's best interests. Guilt can stop us from taking healthy care of ourselves.

We don't have to let others count on the fact that we'll always feel guilty. We don't have to allow ourselves to be controlled by guilt - earned or unearned! We can break through the barrier of guilt that holds us back from self care. Push. Push harder. We are not at fault, crazy, or wrong. We have a right to set boundaries and to insist on appropriate treatment. We can separate another's issues from our issues, and let the person experience the consequences of his or her own behavior, including guilt. We can trust ourselves to know when our boundaries are being violated.

Today, I will let go of my big and little guilty feelings. Light and love are on my side.

- Source unknown to me
This was like looking into a mirror and had to make sure I didn't write it. It was posted by a friend on another site. Not sure if she wrote it or copied and pasted it from some unknown source.

A long-timer told me that next to resentments, guilt is right up there at the top of the list as to why some people relapse. In my case, it sure can be a mental relapse and thankfully, hasn't been a physical one although last night I had a drinking dream which is a good indicator for me. I have had thoughts of going to a meeting but don't feel safe going at night with my walker. I am going to have to find a solution.

I often feel guilty about not getting out to more meetings.

When it comes to my son and his addiction, I use to feel guilty. It isn't something that was easy to let go of, knowing that he is a product of his environment and he was raised in a dysfunctional family with a grandfather, a mother and a step-father who were all alcoholics. Like me, he didn't learn the best coping skills. I know I did the best I could and in a lot of ways, he was just as much of a focus in my life as my disease. Wanting for him what I never had for myself. Some of it was false guilt, but for the most part it wasn't. Guilt is a feeling like everything else and had to ask for the healing of it.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:22 AM   #79
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
The first step to forgiveness

"To get to forgiveness, we first have to work through the painful experiences that require it."

-- Christiane Northrup

To forgive, we do not have to say that whatever happened was okay. In fact, before we can forgive, we need to allow ourselves to really feel the pain of the experience. If we don’t fully acknowledge our hurts, we will continue to carry them subconsciously and they will drain our energy.

To forgive, we need to decide that we won’t allow the memories of the event to poison us any longer. We’re ready to heal this wound from the past and open to a fresh new beginning.

The blessing is that when we’re really ready to experience our pain and we open to it, it usually fades away. By honouring our pain, we release it.

"We must let ourselves feel all the painful destruction we want to forgive rather than swallow it in denial. If we do not face it, we cannot choose to forgive it."

-- Kenneth McNoll
We forgive for our own health and well being. This affirms the belief, "If you don't recognize it and feel it, you can't let it go."

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing:
Old 02-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #80
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Higher Power

"Most of us have no trouble admitting that addiction had become a destructive force in our lives. Our best efforts resulted in ever greater destruction and despair. At some point, we realized that we needed the help of some Power greater than our addiction."

Basic Text p. 24

Most of us know without a doubt that our lives have been filled with destruction. Learning that we have a disease called addiction helps us understand the source or cause of this destruction. We can recognize addiction as a power that has worked devastation in our lives. When we take the First Step, we admit that the destructive force of addiction is bigger than we are. We are powerless over it.

At this point, our only hope is to find some Power greater than the force of our addiction—a Power bent on preserving life, not ending it. We don't have to understand it or even name it; we only have to believe that there could be such a Higher Power. The belief that a benevolent Power greater than our addiction just might exist gives us enough hope to stay clean, a day at a time.

Just for today: I believe in the possibility of some Power that's bigger than my addiction.

pg. 82
At a year sober, after believing I thought I knew who God was, I went on a spiritual journey, a spiritual quest, to find out who God was to me and to make Him/Her personal. I am still looking. I feel as though if think I KNOW who God is, then I may stop looking for Him. One of the biggest sources I found was in meetings. I call them God Villages. Every soul in that meeting has a Higher Power, whether they know Him/Her or not. I found Him/Her in nature and as the Native American people say, "Mother Earth and Father Sky." I found Him/her in the different religions of the world. I love Osho and Zen. I looked for the Goddess within. I went back to church twice. Even though I finally left, I still read my Bible on occasion.

The biggest source is finding the quiet, say a prayer, going within and listening for the answer. The source is there. The answers are there even though sometimes I don't know what the question is.

This was written in 2011. It never ceases to amaze me how the story is still the same in today. I still need to find the quiet and do a meditation to listen for my God's Good Orderly Direction in today.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:39 PM   #81
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Man needs difficulties; they are necessary for health.

- Carl Jung

In early recovery, due to a much needed 'attitude' adjustment, I remember scoffing at the phrase "If you didn't have difficult moments, you wouldn't be able to enjoy or recognize the good ones when they came."

Of course, I wanted everything yesterday. I wanted the quick fix, and the "now I have quit drinking" syndrome made me think that everything should be going my way and how dare anything or anyone rain on my parade.

We tend to forget that we didn't get sick overnight and we don't heal and get better overnight, especially if we are not willing to do any work on changing our lives, our attitude and the people, place and things that were apart of our journey to get here.

Why should I get cravings just because I choose to go visit my old 'buddies' in the bar? Why shouldn't I feel like I want to substitute my drug of choice for a little weed when I go and visit my best friend, who I met the last time I was in jail. Why shouldn't I be happy, joyous and free even though I am acting out in my old ways and still being mentally, emotionally and physically abusive to those around me. There is nothing wrong with me anymore, I don't drink. It is everyone else's fault. Life would be so better if people would just do what I .......
The great "I" am the Ego, the Self, if I don't lose it (attitude), I will lose it (Sobriety that is!)

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:42 PM   #82
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
A SPIRITUAL SOLUTION

“Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that. It is a fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. There you will find release from care, boredom and worry.

Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead.”

Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, A Vision For You, pg. 152

The solution for giving up an addiction is a spiritual one. When I came to recovery to get off my meds and to quit drinking, I went to meetings, meetings and more meetings. When I quit smoking, I went to meetings, picked up key tags and chips the same as I did for the drugs and alcohol. I didn’t substitute with food, I lost three pounds instead of gaining thirty pounds. There was a spiritual solution. Also, for me, when I quit smoking I held a crystal in my hand, which helped ground me, but it gave me that “something” to hold, and for me it is a piece of the Universe and very healing.

It also reminds me I am no less than no better than a piece of stone, I am a part of the whole, and we can all work together for good and become healthy and clean of all substances be they mental, emotional or physical in nature. Behind every scar there is trauma on all levels, and we need to look at the whole to heal.

As it says in the Big Book, half measures availed us nothing, we need to be willing to go to any length to stay clean and we need to find a spiritual solution.

WHO’S ON THE THRONE
This could be a duplicate and posted elsewhere. Or I got it here and posted it elsewhere.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:25 PM   #83
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
Habits

Our drinking was connected to many habits — big and little.
Some of them were thinking habits, or things we felt inside ourselves.
Others were doing habits — things we did, actions we took.
In getting used to not drinking, we found that we needed new habits to take the place of the old ones.
- Living Sober, p. 1
In order to change, I had to change those habits and old behaviors. I had to recognize all those old ways. I was told that I had to make new tapes to replace the new one. I had to recognize that it was me that pushed the play button. That meant I could press stop and rewind and reject.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:08 PM   #84
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Alkiespeak - Book - Quote

Take heart; it came to pass, it didn't come to stay.

- Unknown origin.

Whenever I see or am reminded of this slogan, I think, it isn't always about the negative and hurtful things, but the positive and joyful things too.

Life is feeling. All we have is today. It seems sometimes like our trials and tribulations last forever and ever, but they do not. It passes much quicker when I stop and realize that often they are of own making or they are still there because i haven't wanted to let go of them.

Time is fleeting. It never ceases to amaze me how it can just disappear, whether I am having fun or not.

This is a one day at a time program. One day's feelings, thoughts, cares, woes, actions, situations, etc. that is all I have to do, is stay clean and sober, and when I do, life is so much easier because I am better equiped to handle things. Life doesn't get better, I do.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 02-19-2017, 11:09 PM   #85
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

This too shall pass...Like a gallstone. - Anon.

- Alkiespeaks

It is nice when you can see things changing for the better. It was a good feeling to receive affirmation that my choices were for my Higher Good.

Feelings, good or bad, pass on and a new set and a new day moves in.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:07 AM   #86
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Quote:
DAILY OM

Awakening The Inner Warrior
Stoking The Fire Within

There are certain personality archetypes that we all carry within us, such as the inner child, the lover, and the mother. Some of these archetypes present themselves strongly, while others lay fallow. For example, there is an inner warrior in each one of us, but in some of us this warrior is underdeveloped to the point that we are unable to stand up for ourselves, even when necessary. There can be many reasons for this. We may have grown up with a parent whose warrior aspect was overdeveloped, and we responded by repressing ours completely. On the other hand, we may have grown up with parents in whom this aspect was dormant, so we never learned to awaken it in ourselves.

A warrior is someone with the strength to stand up for what he or she believes; someone who perseveres in the face of challenges and obstacles; someone who speaks and acts in the service of an ideal; someone who protects those who are too weak to fight for themselves. Regardless of the reasons for an underdeveloped inner warrior, you may begin to notice the lack of its fiery, protective presence and wish to awaken it. You may need to stand up for yourself in a certain relationship or situation, or you may have a vision you want to realize, and you know you will need the courage, energy, and strength of a warrior to succeed. Similarly, if you find that you often feel scared, anxious, or powerless, rousing this sleeping ally may be just the antidote you need.

One excellent way to cultivate the presence of your inner warrior is to choose a role model who embodies the qualities of bravery, strength, and vitality. This person could be a character in a myth, movie, or book, or a historical or living person you admire. Simply close your eyes each day and contemplate the quality of energy that attracts you to this person, knowing that the same potential lives within you. Confirm for yourself that you are capable of handling this energy responsibly, and stoke the fire of your own inner courage.

What do you think?
I really liked this. It reminds me of the Rune, Spiritual Warrior (represents the sun and taking control of your life). Fighting for what you believe in. More importantly, standing for your own truth. I had to find something to believe in. By trusting that Spirit within, I was able to trust myself. That courage, strength, and direction comes from within, through the inner knowingness I receive from my Higher Power or what I sometimes refer to as my Higher Self.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:07 AM   #87
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

When I don't have the strength to carry on, it is there for the asking. When I have no hope and I am sick and tired of being tired and sick, that Inner Warrior can boost me up and give me a reason for being.

My purpose in today is to carry the message to the alcoholic and addict who still suffer. You don`t have to be new. You just need to connect with someone and let them know that they are no longer alone.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:01 PM   #88
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Life is precious. I have been given a second chance at life and each day is a blessing.

One day's thoughts, actions, joys, sorrows, etc. are all made easier by living in the moment, living in today, and with the help of my HP, I can get through it without having to pick up.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:00 AM   #89
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Keep It Simple:
The slogan, “Keep It Simple” helps to remind us that simple solutions are often the most effective ones. This slogan can help us look at what really is happening rather than what we imagine may happen, and to take a reasonable, step by step approach rather than act out of fear or panic.

So often we base today on our past and forget that it is a new day. We have a God of our understanding directing our path if we make the decision to turn or will and our life into His Care.

It is simple. I can't, my God can. Why not let Him?

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

The Following User Says Thank You to MajestyJo For Sharing:
Old 04-29-2017, 12:11 AM   #90
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Was sharing today how we sabatoge ourselves when things are good or not so good in our life.

For me it was about self worth. I deserve recovery.

Each day I need to get up in the morning, ask for help through out the day, and give thanks at night. As you say an attitude of gratitude will get me through. A grateful alcoholic will never pick up as my sponsor told me many years ago.

In today, I apply Step 10. If something from my past come up, then I need to do Steps 4-9. Many things that happened in today still had roots that were grounded in my past and I had to uproot them and sever them.

Each day is a new beginning. We can change the old ways of thinking and uproot those old tapes, behaviors, and habits, and learn to live anew in today.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

Post New ThreadReply