Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2016, 07:28 AM   #29
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 29

Step by Step

"Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity." - Step Two
Today, whether a newcomer or veteran of the program, if the term Higher Power discourages me because my faith has been ravaged by alcohol or a less than serene sobriety, let me re-read and understand the literal interpretation of Step Two. We are not asked to believe but come to believe in the possibility of a higher power. If I shrug off that possibility, I need only look to why I came to AA. And in doing that, I also reached for the possibility that some help I needed desperately exists. But if I cannot yet grasp the concept of a higher power, let me believe that Step Two is telling me that coming to believe in and accepting a higher power is a dynamic process, one that requires ongoing change. Just as I did not become sober after my last drink and weeks, months or longer to go from being dry to being sober, so it goes with developing an understanding of the principles of the Twelve Steps. Today, I will not give up if I do not believe in that higher power and instead will proceed with the promise of Step Two that I will one day find it. And our common journey continues. Step by step. - Chris M.

~ EASY DOES IT ~ (A Book of Daily 12 Step Meditations) ~

BEING ALONE

ON THE BEAM: Getting on with the business of living by using the Program.

~ Anonymous ~

Most of the joys of living come during times of sharing with others. But we would miss a lot if we didn’t make time in which to be entirely alone with our thoughts and take inventory of ourselves.

Preparing for the next day by examining the one we’ve just finished gives us a head start on tomorrow. Both activities are done when we are alone.

Alone and silent in thought, we need to examine how well we have used the day. Only then are we able to tackle the first hours of a new day.

By examining my day as it ends, I can weigh the wins and the losses to strengthen my chances of success with my plans for tomorrow. Then I turn it all over to my Higher Power.

~ WISDOM TO KNOW ~ (More Daily Meditations For Men) ~

The kid doesn't chew tobacco, smoke, drink, curse, or chase broads. I don’t see how he can ever make it.

~ Richie Ashburn, Hall of Fame center fielder ~

We grew up with many misguided messages about what it takes to be a real man. These ideas were fun in some ways but led us down paths of self-defeating behavior. They gave us boyish ideas without pointing the way to genuinely strong and masculine lives. Now we know that a strong man has fun but still holds values such as honesty, kindness, and generosity.

Toughness is a virtue in many situations, but no one is more masculine than the guy with strength of character. A truly strong man lends a hand to others; he reflects daily on his own character and holds himself responsible. And he can be as sensual and playful as the best of them.

Today I am grateful to be walking on the path of a true masculine life.

~ A WOMAN’S SPIRIT ~ (More Meditations For Women) ~

Some days really are as good as a bowl of cherries. Thank goodness I now know what to do with the pits.

~ Sarah Desmond ~

Our attitude defines who we are and what we do with the tribulations that trip us. When we are confident or relaxed about the events in our lives, they usually unfold smoothly. On the other hand, when we are nervous or controlling, we can count on trouble. We get what we get in this life. What really matters is how we respond to it. Taking control of our attitude is all that’s necessary.

We can’t deny that some experiences are painful, even though they may be important to our growth. We don’t have to like the pain, but the program invites us to incorporate what we learn from it into our lives. We can then share what we learn with others, so they, too, can be helped.

I can take what comes and make a blessing of it, both for me and someone else. We learn and grow by sharing our experience, strength, and hope. Today is an opportunity for me and a friend.

~ TODAY I WILL DO ONE THING ~ (Daily Readings for Awareness and Hope) ~

I need to make a relapse prevention plan

I am not used to making plans−unless it’s planning to stay high or get high again. Often it’s been hard for me to slow down and think things through.

Coming into recovery I have seen that relapse can happen to any of us. I don’t like to think about being back where I was. I don’t want to feel the pain of relapse. So it seems like a good idea to make a relapse prevention plan−a just-in-case plan, a form of insurance. If I should have a slip (á lapse) at some point, it will help me get back on track faster.

I will ask my therapist and sponsor to help me develop a relapse prevention plan.

~ BODY, MIND, AND SPIRIT ~ (Inspiration and Support for Recovery) ~

How important is it?

~ Anonymous ~

The young man in the meeting was very angry and upset. His lawn mower had broken down. He was having a cookout in his back yard that evening, the yard “looked terrible,” and he’d paid a lot of money for that mower! After he went on for some time, an older woman gently interrupted him and asked, “Was anyone hurt? Was there danger? Would your guests walk out?” And, finally, “Did you lose your sobriety over it?” The young man smiled, as he answered “no” to all the questions. “No, it was not that important after all.”

We all overreact sometimes to situations, people, and events that, later, we see were really not important. The next time we are bothered by someone or something that threatens to ruin our day, we will try to remember to ask ourselves, “How important is it?” If it’s not important, we’ll spend our time and energy on what is important. There is a world of difference.

Today help me to know what is important, to forget what’s not, and ask others for perspective when I’m not sure.

~ MORNING LIGHT ~ (Meditations to Begin Your Day) ~

The challenge for a conductor is not to get the orchestra that you ideally want—the challenge is to take the orchestra in front of you and draw from them something which exceeds their own expectations of what they could be.

~ Roger Nierenberg ~

The program of recovery does not give you recovery. Rather, it teaches you how to recover. It does not give you a better life. Rather, it gives you the tools you need so you can improve your life. It offers you a wealth of knowledge and a fellowship that, together, give you the support you need to make it through each day clean and sober.

No matter what you set out to do in life, starting out with a firm idea in mind of what to expect or about how things will go only sets you up for disappointment. It is like deciding to learn the game of golf with the expectation that you will play as well as a professional golfer in six months.

Instead, focus on one desire: to learn by doing. Then, strive to do the best that you can by applying what you have learned. What you may discover is that you have exceeded the expectations you did not have!

Today I will let go of how I expect things will turn out. Instead, I will learn as much as I can.

~ NIGHT LIGHT ~ (A Book Of Nighttime Meditations) ~

Lost, yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and sunset, the golden hours, each set with sixty diamond minutes. No reward is offered, for they are gone forever.

~ Horace Mann ~

As we reflect on the day, were there moments we wasted? Was there a chunk of time we idled away, perhaps bored or listless? Those moments are gone now. We can never get them back, but we can be more conscious about wasting time tomorrow.

When we were drinking or using, we probably wasted a lot of time in bars, in front of the television, or passed out. We may have argued constantly with our drunken spouses or parents, wasting precious evenings and weekends. Or we may have spent all our time with our family and not any time with friends.

We don't have to waste time. We can give to others, but not to the extent that it infringes upon our time. We can walk away from an argument and venture out on evenings and weekends. We can put away the bottles and the pills and go to meetings and experience life sober and clean. Time we've wasted is gone, but the time to come we can use' We can let every minute count.

I won't waste any more of my life. I will make the most of every minute and resolve not to let precious time slip away.

~ DAY BY DAY ~ (Daily Meditations for Recovering Addicts) ~

Sharing in the fellowship

It is said that you can always tell a roomful of recovering addicts because everyone is smoking, drinking coffee, and talking—all at the same time. There is serious truth to this wry glance at the fellowship.

Since the program, its slogans are talked about at length. It’s easy for anyone to learn a lot about recovery. Since people’s everyday problems are talked about all the time, it’s enough for anyone to learn about life. It all works! Our big mouths—mouths that kept us sick for so long—are now flapping to keep us well.

So our sometimes smoke-filled, coffee- filled, talk-filled clubs, meetings, and social gatherings are the basis for a lot more than laughter—they add up to a major part of our recovery.

Am I contributing to the fellowship?

Higher Power, help me see what I can contribute to the social life fellowship of recovery.

Today I will take part in the fellowship by

God help me to stay clean and sober today!

~ IF YOU WANT WHAT WE HAVE ~ (Sponsorship Meditations) ~

Don't pick up before the miracle.

~ SAYING HEARD IN MEETINGS ~

Newcomer

I feel miserable so much of the time now. My life is full of obligations I don’t have any stomach for. It seems as if my inner demons are always after me, except for the hour or so a day I spend at a meeting. Sometimes I tell myself that if I picked up my addiction again, I could escape all this.

Sponsor

Thank you for your honesty. Your willingness to share your pain can help to counteract that voice that's telling you you’d be better off going back to your addiction.

We’re dealing in reality without a filter, at the very same time that we’re going through the pain of withdrawal from an addictive substance or behavior. In time, the externals will begin to seem a lot easier. The “demons,” as you call them, are more troubling at first. They grow quieter in time and eventually leave, as we stay sober and learn how to face our problems rather than avoid them.

It’s important to remember that depression, loneliness, and other negative emotions were not put there by our recovery. The old life we sometimes imagine going back to may not be as free and wonderful as we remember it; addiction blurred the feelings and sometimes kept the demons at bay, but only recovery will free us from them for good.

Today, I’m being changed into the person I’ve always wanted to become.

~ THE EYE OPENER ~

Life has been hard on us but most of it was made hard by ourselves. The hard life, however, taught us much; it strengthened our muscles; it broadened our experiences. We are better men because of it. We have known much of hunger, pain, defeat, mental anguish, despair and shame. Only the good survived this ordeal and we can alleviate the sufferings of the world all the better because we have suffered also.

God was not punishing us . . . He was conditioning us.

~ The 12 STEP PRAYER BOOK ~ (A Collection of Favorite 12 Step Prayers and Inspirational Readings) ~

DWELL IN MY HEART

O God, dwell in my heart,
Open it out, purify it, make it bright and beautiful,
Awaken it, prepare it, make it fearless,
Make it a blessing to others,
Rid it of laziness, free it from doubt,
Unite it with all, destroy its bondage,
Let Your peaceful music pervade all its works.
Make my heart useful to You and others.

~ AROUND THE YEAR WITH EMMET FOX ~ (A Book of Daily Readings) ~

HOW MUCH FAITH IS NECESSARY?

Have faith in your own faith. Have faith enough in yourself to believe that you really have enough faith to move mountains. Is this a strange idea? Probably it is for many people, yet Jesus taught it.

People are constantly saying that they wish they had more faith because if they had they could get better results. You have to realize, however, that this attitude of mind is extremely negative. It is affirming, although indirectly, that your faith is very poor−and you know what that means.

Jesus said that the very smallest amount of faith (like a grain of mustard seed) is sufficient. If you have faith enough to pray at all, you have enough faith to start with. If you had no faith, you would not be praying.

Have faith in your own faith, and that in itself will build it up more and more until the work is done.

. . . be not faithless, but believing (John 20:27)

~ A DEEP BREATH OF LIFE ~ (365 Daily Inspirations for Heart-Centered Living) ~

Blessed Interruptions

Life is what happens while you are making other plans.

~ John Lennon ~

The film The Accidental Tourist tells of an emotionally wounded man who shuts down his heart after losing a child. Although he is a renowned author, Macon Leary (played by William Hurt) is lonely and aching for love, He meets a kooky young woman (Geena Davis) who, with her son, invites him to come back to life. At first he resists, but then he recognizes that she is not a threat, but his salvation.

"I used to get annoyed when someone pulled me off my track," a friend told me, "but then I discovered that the best parts of my day are the interruptions."

Thank God when you are interrupted from your plan. If something comes up that is unavoidable, ask to find the gift in it. Consider the possibility that this person or event has been sent to serve and bless you in some way. Perhaps you are being asked to open your heart more, make a stand for something you believe in, or take a new direction that will ultimately be more meaningful than the one you were headed in. There are no accidents-only opportunities to dance in a bigger universe.

Help me be open to opportunities to know myself better. Let me recognize that everyone who comes to me is a teacher, and empower me to do the things that love would have me do.

I allow God's plan to substitute for mine. I find the jewel in every encounter, relationship and experience.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply