Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 04-18-2017, 06:36 AM   #16
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 17

Quote of the Week

“I suffer from ‘terminal uniqueness.”

I used to think I was so special. Wherever I went, and whatever I did, inside I’d constantly be thinking, “Look at me!” “Notice what I’m doing, what I’m wearing,” etc. I used to think that the world revolved around me and that I was too unique and special to extend myself and help somebody. “Someone else can be kind and save the world,” I’d think, “I’m way too important and busy for that.” Because of this self-absorption, people avoided me, and I ended up being ignored and alone.

When I entered recovery, I brought my self-centered point of view with me. I secretly felt that as soon as people saw how I did the Steps, there would be a revolution within all of A.A. As I began working them, however, and my ego began breaking down, and I had to confront the fact that I was no more special than anyone else. My sponsor told me I suffered from ‘terminal uniqueness’ and the sooner I let go of that delusion the better off I’d be. And the quickest way to do that, he suggested, was to get humble and help someone.

I used to think there were too many people and situations that needed help, so what was the point of extending myself? But then one day at a meeting I was told a story. Two people walking on a beach where a hundred starfish had washed up and were stranded on the shore. One of the guys picked one up and threw it back into the sea. The other guy asked what he did that for. “With all the other starfish lying on the beach dying, throwing one back isn’t going to make a difference,” he said. “It made a difference to that one,” the other guys replied.
​​​​​​​
And so it is with putting aside my feelings of terminal uniqueness. Today, I want to make a difference to that one starfish.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2017, 07:01 AM   #17
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 24

Quote of the Week

“Life is as bad as I want to make it.”

I used to make my life really hard. I’d wake up with a bad attitude and immediately begin searching for all the things that were wrong or that could go wrong. I hated my job but felt stuck in it. If I was in a relationship, I couldn’t wait to get out, and if I was single I was sure I always would be. When people tried to point out possibilities and options, I always found the negative. My life was pretty bad, and apparently I was determined to keep it that way.

When I hit bottom and had to enter the program, I was sure my life had descended to a new low. At first all I focused on were people talking about their problems. As I worked the Steps, though, I began to change. Soon I started listening for and finding solutions, and I began applying them in my life. Over time my life began to improve but what made the most dramatic difference was my attitude got better. Hope returned and possibilities appeared, and soon my life got kind of good. In fact, I even began imagining a brighter future.
​​​​​​​
Before I got sober, I used to think there were a lot of bad days. I heard in a meeting once that there are no bad days – just bad attitudes about a day. Someone said that on any given day somebody was going to a Beverly Hills dealer to pick up her new Bentley. It was a wonderful day for her, and they said that I lived in that same day. What made the difference was attitude. Today I have the tools to adjust my attitude and know how to be grateful for all I have and all that can be. I know that today my life can be as good as I want to make it.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:21 AM   #18
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 1

Quote of the Week

“Are you willing to be amazed?”

By the end of my drinking and using, my life had gotten very small and there wasn’t much that excited me anymore. My existence had been reduced to a singular focus – getting loaded. The wonder and possibilities of life, the joy and anticipation of new friends, new opportunities and experiences were crowded out by my overwhelming obsession to drown myself in alcohol. As I slipped deeper into the abyss, I no longer cared if I lived or died. I had reached the end.

But once I surrendered and entered recovery, I discovered that the end actually led to a new beginning – the start of a sober life. As I worked the Steps, I found they acted like a ladder that allowed me to climb out of the pit of self. With each Step, I built a bridge back to others, back to life itself. As I learned to focus on my Higher Power and on being of service to others, the feelings uselessness and self-pity disappeared and I became reborn.

The program of Alcoholics Anonymous has awakened me to a life beyond my imagining. At first I just hoped to stop drinking, but as I worked through the Twelve Steps I got more than I could ever have asked for. All the promises have come true for me and so much more. The wonder and possibilities have returned, and I wake up each morning with a burning anticipation of what God has in store for me. I have discovered and pursued opportunities I never knew existed. I have had wonderful experiences like meeting and marrying my soulmate, and today I actually have peace and serenity.
​​​​​​​
Today when I hear a newcomer complain about his life, I listen and then ask: “Are you willing to be amazed?”
Old 05-08-2017, 07:34 AM   #19
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 8

Quote of the Week

“I usually want justice only for myself.”

When I was new in the program, I was filled with self-pity by how unfair life was. I pointed fingers at all the people, places and things who that had done me wrong and asked where the justice was. “Why aren’t people making amends to me?” I asked. “What about all the hard I had endured through the years?” I bemoaned to anyone who would listen. “There is no justice in the world,” I said. “If life were fair, then things would be better,” I truly believed.

Until one day when an old timer confronted me and asked me if I really wanted the world to be fair. I indignantly said, “Yes!” He looked at me and told me he was thankful life wasn’t fair because if it was, then he would be in prison for some of the things he had done. He looked me straight in the eye and asked me where I would be if life were truly fair. That shut me up.
​​​​​​​
What I’ve come to realize now is that none of us are saints. We’ve all acted the best we could have given our awareness and where we were at the time. And I’ve learned that there is something more important than justice, and that is forgiveness. It’s much easier to be self-righteous than it is to practice love and tolerance, but that is the path to freedom and serenity. I now recognize the selfishness in wanting justice for myself, and instead pray for the knowledge of God’s will and the power to carry that out.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:33 AM   #20
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 15

Quote of the Week

“Yesterday was the deadline for complaints.”

When I was drinking, I had a lot of complaints. I complained that I had to work a crummy job. I complained that people didn’t do what I wanted them to do. I complained that the system, the police, and even the world was out to get me. As my drinking progressed into active alcoholism, other people began complaining as well. They complained that I was out of control at parties; that I was selfish and didn’t care about their feelings, and that I had become a danger to be around. These complaints doubled my own, and soon I was consumed by resentments.

When I crawled into the program, I found more things to complain about. I complained about having to go to 90 meetings in 90 days. I complained about the smokers in the parking lot. I complained about people talking and kicking the back of my chair during meetings. But mostly I complained about having to do all the inventories, and readings, and about the commitments my sponsor suggested I get. It was a slow process and it took a long time, but eventually I learned to replace my complaints with prayers, and once I developed an attitude of gratitude my life was transformed.
​​​​​​​
Today I still have a tendency to complain and look at all the things that I still don’t have or that might go wrong. But I also have a full spiritual toolkit today and proven ways to be restored to sanity and serenity. Gratitude lists are still my favorite tool, and anytime I’m in fear or feel like complaining I make a list of 25 things I’m grateful for. By the time I’m done, my perspective has completely shifted and I’m back on my spiritual beam. I realize now that yesterday was the deadline for complaints, because today is the day for living happy, joyous and free.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:39 AM   #21
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 22

Quote of the Week

“Improve your memory – tell the truth.”

Toward the end of my drinking my memory got worse and worse. To start with, my mind was a big blur from being constantly loaded, or from recovering from a blackout. In addition, it got harder and harder to remember what story or excuse I had recently made up or who I had told what to. Because my drinking had become the most important thing in my life I had begun lying to protect it, and because most of the lies and stories I made up were followed by a drinking binge, I couldn’t keep anything straight. It’s no wonder people stopped hanging around me.

When I got sober and my head began to clear, I went right on lying and telling stories. As I worked the Steps what I realized was that I was lying to protect my ego and get my own way. I quickly found the truth in the statement that ‘self-centeredness and self-seeking’ was my natural state as an untreated alcoholic. It took a lot of inventories and conversations with my sponsor before I was ready to get honest. I also had to uncover, discover and discard a lot of character defects that were keeping me sick before I could fully recover.
​​​​​​​
Today my life is much easier now that my default is to just tell the truth. I no longer feel the need to defend or construct a big story because today I’ve learned how to be responsible and honest. Today I go through life looking for ways to be of service rather than to cheat or deceive. It’s a wonderful feeling to be able to look someone in the eye again and feel a part of the human race. And best of all, my memory has improved because today I tell the truth.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:19 AM   #22
bluidkiti
Administrator

May 29

Quote of the Week

“All unhappiness is the result of comparison.”

When I was in my disease, I had a very skewed sense of perception. Rather than think about the things I did have, I was constantly comparing myself to what others had that I didn’t. As I drove along Pacific Coast Highway, I’d look at all the homes on Malibu beach and envy and resent the people who had such wonderful lives. At restaurants I’d see couples enjoying a romantic dinner, and I’d feel sorry for myself alone at the bar. I was constantly comparing myself to what I didn’t have, and as I did what little happiness I did have slipped through my hands like sand in a sieve.

Before I attended my first meeting, my best friend made a recommendation to me. He told me to look for the similarities and not the differences. He knew how critical and judgmental I was and knew that if I focused my magnifying mind on the differences, then I wouldn’t stay. This was sage advice. As I listened for the similarities, I stopped comparing and began identifying. Once I learned that most of us felt less than and that comparing ourselves to other people, places, and things was just another way that alcoholism fed our discontent, I found a solution.
​​​​​​​
The gratitude list is a tool in my spiritual toolkit that gets used often. Recognizing that my mind automatically seeks the negative, I use it to be restored to sanity. Whenever I’m feeling less than, or when I begin comparing myself to others, I stop and make a written or mental list of 25 things I’m grateful for. These include my health, my sobriety, my awareness of and relationship to my Higher Power, my beautiful marriage, and all the other things I have including my ability to dream and have goals again. When I’m done counting my blessings, I’m also done comparing. And once I realize how much I do have, my happiness returns.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:08 AM   #23
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 5

Quote of the Week

“We weaken what we exaggerate.”

I have a habit of exaggerating things to make sure you get the full impact of what I’m trying to say. This was especially bad when I was drinking excessively. On and on I would go, embellishing as I did, on how bad my financial prospects were, or on how badly I had been treated by – fill in the blank. I would exaggerate anything because I was sure you weren’t listening or that you didn’t really care anymore. And after years of lying, making things up, and exaggerating, who could blame you?

When I put the bottle down and entered recovery, I continued to exaggerate and elaborate the stories of what had been done to me. “You just don’t understand,” I would often begin. “But my case is different,” was a frequent reply. After a while my sponsor had me inventory my experiences, concentrating my attention on the invisible “fourth column” – my part. As I did, I found that the exaggerated role I had been assigning to others was actually more my responsibility. And as I got honest and began owning my side of the street in things, I found less need to exaggerate my experiences. People began listening to and trusting me again.

These days, as my wife frequently reminds me, I am still inclined to exaggerate to emphasize how people, places, and things still don’t go my way. But I’ve learned something very valuable: when I stay focused on my part, and relate my experience honestly and sincerely, I no longer have to weaken my story by exaggerating (much :--). Today there is less drama in my life because I no longer try to minimize my role in how my life turns out. It is enough today to simply speak my truth and keep my side of the street clean. And when I do, there is no reason to exaggerate – and thereby weaken – my stories to feel O.K.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:34 AM   #24
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 12

Quote of the Week

“Do the next ‘right thing’.”

While I was drinking, I had a knack for making bad decisions. I choose inappropriate partners in relationships, cheated in my job, and made other short sighted choices that didn’t end well. What I didn’t know at the time was that the majority of the decisions I was making were based on selfish and self-seeking motives. By the end of my drinking, the consequences of these choices surrounded me, and I had to surrender.

When I was new in the program, I once again had many choices to make. How many meetings a week should I go to? Should I get a sponsor right away or wait for the perfect one? When should I get serious about working the Twelve Steps? I learned early on that I should never say no to an A.A. request, and I found that by taking A.A. suggestions my life improved. I also found out the difference between my will (usually based on self) versus God’s will (based on service to others), and this helped me identify the next “right thing” to do.

Now that I’ve been sober a while, I still have a lot of decisions and choices to make. Whether it is business or relationships, etc., I still have to choose between self-will (what I want) or God’s will (what would be best for others or the situation). When I stop to think about it, I always know what the “right thing” to do is, and when I choose this, my life, and other’s, runs more smoothly. I’ve learned, often through trial and error, that this is always the “easier, softer way.”
Old 06-20-2017, 05:48 AM   #25
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 19

Quote of the Week

“Humility is our acceptance of ourselves.”

I used to think that humility was for the weak. In school, in business, and in life, I was taught to be competitive and to always strive to win. When I drank, I took this to the next level and became aggressive and looked for ways to dominate others – even if that meant cheating, stealing, or lying. Money, property, and prestige – regardless of how I got it – were my goals, and humility was not something I had any interest in. This relentless pursuit of “outside” stuff, fueled by the disease of alcoholism, brought me to my knees and drove me into the rooms of recovery.

When I got sober, there was a lot of talk about surrender, willingness, and humility. My ego fought against it all, and as I tried to acquire these character traits, rebellion dogged my every step. Thankfully, I learned new ways of framing these concepts. I was taught that when one surrenders, they “stop fighting, lay down their arms and join the winning side.” And that’s when I learned the true definition of humility.
​​​​​​​
I was taught that humility isn’t thinking less about yourself, but rather thinking about yourself less. As I worked the Steps, helped others, and got closer to my Higher Power, I began feeling better about myself. By doing a Fourth Step inventory, and then working my Eight and Ninth Steps, I finally forgave myself my past transgressions. I was given the gift of empathy and acceptance of myself. Today I feel comfortable in my own skin, and I appreciate the gift that humility truly is.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:42 PM   #26
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 26

Quote of the Week

“Easy does it, but do it.”

I was quite a procrastinator before recovery. I had a lot of good ideas, but I didn’t want to act on them until I had thought things through and the time was right. For example, I wanted to go back to college, but I thought I should have my house paid off first. I wanted to get married, but thought I should actually have a house first. Regarding drinking, I thought I would be able to stop once I had a good job that allowed me to get a house, a wife, go to school, etc. I didn’t get much done.

In sobriety, there seemed like a lot of things I could do. I could get commitments, get a sponsor, work the Steps, and, oh yeah, stay sober. When I saw the saying on the wall that said, “Easy does it,” I relaxed and thought I’d just keep thinking about it all. And that’s when my new sponsor told me there is a chapter in the Big Book called, “Into Action,” not “Into Thinking.” He suggested I get busy.
​​​​​​​
I’m so thankful he directed me to jump in and become part of the program. He told me I should take contrary action if I didn’t feel like taking action, and that if I brought the body, the mind would follow. He told me that “Easy does it,” refers to my tendency to obsess and over do things, and that the “But do it,” part refers to my resistance to change. I learned that I can’t think myself sober – or into any of the things I want in life -- but if I take action, I can live the life of my dreams.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:38 AM   #27
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 3

Quote of the Week

“Surrender is not a one-time thing.”

After a weekend of hard drinking, I would commit to sobriety on Monday. By Tuesday, I began to feel better, and by Thursday night I’d allow myself a couple of beers. By the weekend, I’d be hard at it again, and Monday morning I’d swear off drinking again. This pattern continued until the Thursdays became Tuesdays, and after a while I just gave up and gave in to my disease. Somehow I survived the abyss, and when I committed again it was to the program of Alcoholics Anonymous.

During my First Step, I surrendered when I admitted to my innermost self that I was an alcoholic and that my life had become unmanageable. After a few weeks, though, when I started feeling better, I began second guessing whether it had been that bad. Same thing happened with Steps Two and Three. I’d surrender my will and my life, but midway through the day, I’d take it all back. In discussing this with my sponsor, I learned that surrender is not an event, but rather a process.
​​​​​​​
There have been many surrenders in my recovery. Each day, I surrender my disease to my Higher Power, and I turn my will and my life over to His care. Sometimes this lasts ten minutes, sometimes several hours. But whenever I find myself uncomfortable or at odds with people, places, or things, I know it’s time for another surrender. Thankfully, I have the tools and the willingness to do this. Surrender is indeed a process, not a one-time thing. And the better I get at it, the better my life becomes.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:42 AM   #28
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 10

Quote of the Week

“Formula for failure: try to please everyone.”

I used to drive myself crazy trying to please everyone. In my insane alcoholic home, I learned that if I didn’t make waves, and just agreed with everyone, then maybe for a little while there would be some peace. But it didn’t last long. Soon I would have to change, adapt, and give in again to placate the prevailing mood or attitudes of others. It was exhausting, and in the middle of it all I lost my sense of self.

In working the Twelve Steps, I discovered something else: I had a lot of resentments. I used to consider myself an easy going guy, but what I learned by doing a Fourth Step inventory was that by acquiescing to others by trying to please them, I was not only untrue to myself, but to others as well. By looking at my part in the fourth column, I realized that if I was to be happy and free, it was up to me to change.

Changing the way I interacted with others – especially with my family – was very uncomfortable for a long time. Suddenly I was no longer the push over, and when I disagreed or refused to go along with their ideas, I suffered their wrath. But at least I didn’t hate myself or hold the familiar resentments anymore. After years of being true to myself, I’ve healed my relationship to myself and to others. Today, I have successful relationships because I am no longer trying to please everyone.

And because of this, I live a life that is happy, joyous, and free.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:32 AM   #29
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 17

Quote of the Week

“Recovery is an education without a graduation.”

One of the first things I asked my sponsor was how long I would have to go to meetings. I had been going to meetings everyday – 90 in 90 – getting commitments, showing up early to greet, etc. I was neglecting things at home and was wondering when I might “graduate” to not needing them anymore. He told me that when I got to the point where I wanted to go to meetings, that’s when I could decide whether to attend them or not.

While that didn’t make sense to me – secretly I never thought that I would want to attend meetings – I followed direction and kept coming back. As I learned more about the disease of alcoholism, I learned that I could never cure it. What I had was a daily reprieve from the insanity of the first drink so long as I maintained and fortified my spiritual condition. Each night, I was told, while I slept, alcoholism was in the closet doing pushups and getting stronger. This scared me, so I kept my commitments and meetings.

By following my sponsor’s suggestions, I have been able to achieve long term sobriety and much peace and serenity in my life. When “normal” people ask why I still go to meetings, I explain that it’s like someone who was overweight and out of shape. When these people go to the gym, exercise, and eat better, they tend to get fit. In order to stay that way, they need to continue going to the gym and to eat well. Same thing for me: if I want to keep my recovery, I need to keep going to meetings and not drink.

Today, I want to go to meetings because I want to keep what I have.
Old 07-25-2017, 04:23 AM   #30
bluidkiti
Administrator

July 24

Quote of the Week

“Happiness is not having what I want, but wanting what I have.”

I spent many years trying to get things to make me happy. If only I could get my college degree, then I’d be happy. As soon as I get the right job, then I’ll feel fulfilled. When I meet “the one,” then I will be complete and happy. If only I had a newer, bigger car, then I’d feel accomplished. With each package UPS delivered, I’d feel excited for about ten minutes, then I’d feel empty again.

When I entered the program, I was hoping that sobriety would fix not only my drinking, but also my steady state of unhappiness. I was sure that if only I could get a thirty day chip, then a six month chip, or finally a whole year, then I’d be happy. It was certainly a shock to me to be five and even seven years sober and still find I had days that I was sure the next UPS delivery would fix me. Thankfully, I learned an enduring truth that always works when I work it.
​​​​​​​
My sponsor taught me, over and over, that things will never bring me that sense of completeness or happiness I seek. He told me that true fulfillment is in the giving, not the getting. I discover the wisdom of this when I work with others. They always give me more than I give them. In addition, he taught me how to feel grateful for all the wonderful things I already do have: my health, sobriety, a roof over my head, money to buy food, a job, etc. He told me that when I want what I already have, that’s when I will realize I already have everything I need to be as happy as I choose to be.
Post New ThreadReply