Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-15-2015, 11:49 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - July 17

No matter what trials we face, Christ never leaves us. He is with us every step of the way! --Billy Graham

You’ve got to believe that no matter what you’re going through, no matter what you burden is, God cares! He cares about everything affecting you. --David Wilkerson

When we are lost, we can always look to Jesus to show us the way out.

God is present. God is with us in all circumstances. We can call out to God to be our strength, hope, and comfort. What a marvelous feeling it is to share everything with God: the big, the small, and all the things that lie in between!

Being in God’s presence brings joy.

We are in the household of God no matter where we are.

We can love others by showing them God’s unconditional love.

Today I will follow Christ’s example and show love to those I meet.

The God of the Far Off by Richard L. Floyd
"So (the son) set off and went to his father. But while he was still far off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion; he ran and put his arms around him and kissed him." - Luke 15: 20
In this well-loved parable Jesus tells us that even those who are unable to reach out to God discover that God is reaching out to them, just as the waiting father in the parable ran out to his son.
This is who God is, the one who waits for the return of those who are "far off." And not only waits, but also watches and reaches out.
This God, the God revealed in Jesus Christ, is the God of everyone, male or female, Greek or Jew, those keeping the law at home or running away to a far country. This God loves lepers, sinners, Samaritans and Romans, both the clean and the unclean, the righteous and the unrighteous.
In Ephesians we are told that Jesus came and "preached peace to those who were far off and those who were near" (Ephesians 2:17). Today, "those who are near" might be our fellow church members. But who are the "far off" in our day? In our holy calling to spread Christ's peace and embody God's love, who have we missed? Who have we overlooked, ignored, or neglected? And can we lengthen our reach?
Prayer: O God, never let us ever forget that nobody is too far off for your loving embrace.

But Now I See from When God Makes Lemonade by Don Jacobson
Life sometimes provides the opportunity to give up something we think we need in exchange for something we truly need. True, it seems like a simple concept, but it took me a great deal of time, and a little bit of pain, to discover the thing I needed to surrender in order to be blessed.
It started as a young woman when I first embraced the joy of the creative process. Freshly mixed paint, charcoal on canvas, pencil shavings on the desk, pastels rubbed into my apron - the medium didn’t matter. I loved making art. I used the canvas to communicate my emotions, thoughts, and questions, and people were moved by my expressions. My teachers praised me. My pieces sold. I won competitions and impressed judges. I found great purpose in creating new pieces and decided I would always, first and foremost, be an artist.
Yet a few years and kids later, I found myself teaching art to bored middle school students. It was a far cry from my dream of being a working artist, but my husband and I both agreed it would be nice to have some extra income for our family. I had my hands full at home with the kids, and the part-time teaching job was a good fit for my schedule.
It’s not your dream, I told myself, but someday you will get to be a real artist. Maybe when the kids leave home or graduate college. Maybe once you get a degree.
I thought about someday a lot but secretly wondered if it would ever come. Would I ever have enough time? Would I ever have the courage to take the risk? Was I good enough to cut it as a professional?
The fear of someday quietly stalked me, and then one night it hit me right in the face.
I was tucking my son into bed when he saw our dog in the hallway. Impulsively, he grabbed a small plastic toy from his side and tried to throw it for a game of fetch. As his arm came forward, the toy slipped from his hand and flew straight into my eye. It was so unexpected, so close, I barely had time to close my eyes.
Instantly an explosion of pain seared my eye, and I doubled over on his bed. All I could see were multicolored sparks firing on a black background. What is happening to my eye? I shouted internally, as the colors danced and mingled in the darkness. My stomach became nauseous, and I stumbled out into the hallway. I called for my husband and then found my way to our bed.
“What happened?” my husband asked, quickly coming to my side.
“My eye. I don’t know what’s happening. All I can see are sparks, and my stomach is in knots.”
My husband called his father, an optometrist, and he rushed over. As he helped me out to his truck, I could hear my husband comforting our children in the background.
“Mommy will be okay; she just has to go with Grandpa for a little while.”
On the way across town, I sat hunched over with my head between my knees and told my father-in-law about the sparks. “Then you better sit up,” he told me. “You might be losing your retina.”
After an examination at his office, he decided my eye would be okay for the night, so he called a colleague and scheduled a follow-up appointment the next morning. After a short night of sleep and a lot of worry, my husband drove me to the appointment and listened with me as the doctor explained my injury.
“You’ve suffered damage to your retina.” His voice was cold and frank, free of emotion or sympathy, as if he had told a thousand patients the exact same news.
“Okay, well, how long will it take to get better?” I asked, hoping for no more than a week.
“That is the thing about retinal damage,” he answered flatly. “There is no guarantee it will heal. Sometimes they heal totally; other times, not at all. It can also partly heal. It’s hard to say, and it’s out of our control. All we can do is wait.”
Wait.
Is there anything harder than waiting?
I quit my teaching job so I could stay home and rest. But the time seemed far from restful. As hard as I tried, I couldn’t figure out how God was going to work in the situation. Still, I believed he was with me, so I did what I was ordered to do and waited.
In the midst of my waiting, I realized I had been waiting for someday to come for a long time, and suddenly it had arrived.
Almost as though a divine hand were leading me, I dusted off my old easel, unboxed my pencils, and started to draw.
At first I was cautious, faintly touching the page, watching the lead strokes fill the white space with my one good eye. I turned to a clean sheet and filled it with sketches. Another sheet, more sketches. Soon, I was drawing in long, looping arcs and short bursts of tight shading. Amazingly, as I waited for my eye to recover, I rediscovered my passion for art.
In a season of half-darkness I saw more clearly than ever before that God had given me a love and talent for creating. I decided, once and for all, that I would never let my talent and passion be removed. It can be seen and appreciated only when it is used here and now, not someday soon or somewhere else.
Over time my eye and art both improved slowly. Learning to work with limited vision taught me to create at a slower pace, which in turn helped me pay more attention to detail and ultimately led to the best artwork of my life.
My joy was back, and surprisingly, others started taking notice. I was asked to illustrate an original curriculum for a church’s summer children’s program. I partnered with a master painter to create a massive mural celebrating creation. I launched an online resource center for churches and parents who need illustrated children’s material. I even returned to teaching, freshly inspired by the artistic discoveries I was making.
Years after the accident, my right eye still has a blind spot the size of a pencil eraser, directly in the center of my vision. When I look at what I’m typing with just my bad eye open, I can’t see the exact word I’m trying to focus on - but I can see all the surrounding words with my peripheral vision. When I paint and illustrate and draw, I’ve learned to take a second, third, and fourth look, and in the looking again I see more clearly than ever before.
Sometimes I close my good eye to be reminded of the little vision I have lost because it also reminds me of the passion God allowed me to rediscover. He used an innocent accident and a small blind spot to teach me that today, not someday, is the right time to start following our dreams.
Gina Graham and her husband live in the sunny South. Her most important job is keeping her three teenage boys happy, fed, and productive. Visit Gina at ginagraham.com. She offers over 150 free printables for children's ministries on her website.
A successful visual artist with trouble seeing? Only in When God Makes Lemonade! When I spoke with Gina, her eye was doing better than ever, though she’ll always notice a tiny spot there. She was working on an ambitious series of six Easter paintings for her own home - and without the injury she never would have taken the time for it. Her less-than-perfect vision will always remind her of what God took away, and gave, to bring her passion back to life. ~ Don
Your Turn: Have you experienced God making lemonade in your own life? Have you had a "But now I see" moment? What God-given dream have you been postponing until someday? What do you need to start pursuing today?

ARE YOU UNHAPPY WHERE YOU ARE? by Alan Smith
Government surveyors came to Ole's farm in the fall and asked if they could do some surveying. Ole agreed, and Lena even served them a nice meal at noon time.
The next spring, the two surveyors stopped by and told Ole, "Because you were so kind to us, we wanted to give you this bad news in person instead of by letter."
Ole replied, "What's the bad news?"
The surveyors stated, "Well, after our work here, we discovered your farm is not in Minnesota but is actually in Wisconsin!"
Ole said, "That's the best news I have heard in a long time! I just told Lena this morning that I don't think I can take another winter in Minnesota."
That joke reminds me that many people think they would be happier if they were living somewhere else ("the grass is always greener on the other side"). They think that moving will make their lives better. They're unhappy with their friends or their family and they think a change of location will fix their problems. They feel miserable in their job or neighborhood and they want to escape. Everything would be so different if they just lived somewhere else.
How much better we would be if we could learn to have the contentment that the apostle Paul did, who was able to say, "I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content. I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need." (Philippians 4:11-12). The truth is that changing locations usually doesn't change anything, because the bigger problem is not in the world around us, but within us.
May God fill you with his joy and peace so that you can be content wherever you are right now!

Get A Bigger Frying Pan
Two men went fishing. One man was an experienced fisherman, the other wasn't. Every time the experienced fisherman caught a big fish, he put it in his ice chest to keep it fresh. Whenever the inexperienced fisherman caught a big fish, he threw it back.
The experienced fisherman watched this go on all day and finally got tired of seeing this man waste good fish. "Why do you keep throwing back all the big fish you catch?" he asked.
The inexperienced fisherman replied, "I only have a small frying pan."
Sometimes, like that fisherman, we throw back the big plans, big dreams, big jobs, big opportunities that God gives us. We laugh at that fisherman who didn't figure out that all he needed was a bigger frying pan; yet how often do we not exercise our faith to do big things with God?
Whether it's a problem or a possibility, God will never allow anything bigger than you can handle with Him. That means we can confidently walk into anything God brings our way. You can do all things through Christ (Philippians 4:13). Nothing is too big for God.
Stop telling God you've got big problems. Tell your problems you've got a big God!

Lemons and Leftovers: Finding Your Value Author Unknown
For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do (Ephesians 2:10).
Recently I had the opportunity to visit a dear friend who lives in another state. After a long chat over breakfast, we treated ourselves to a shopping trip at one of our favorite spots. Its design is unique and contains beautiful things for the home and garden, a small clothing boutique, a sweet little flower shop, and a quaint cafe in a quiet garden setting. It is a special treat with a special friend.
While browsing, I noticed a small room with a chalkboard sign over the door that read: “Lemons and Leftovers.” Inside were shelves lined with treasures. A few had obvious flaws, some just needed a creative touch, some were out of season, some were perfect if you overlooked the damaged packaging, but all would add beauty in just the right setting. Everything in the little room was available to purchase at a discounted price and although unique in design, they all had one thing in common.
They were considered “Lemons and Leftovers.”
Have you ever felt you were standing with a chalkboard sign over your head? Lemons and Leftovers: Imperfect, overlooked, incomplete, damaged, inadequate, and worthless. Have you questioned your value? Please remember, dear friends, these are exactly the words the enemy of our souls would like us to believe.
Imperfect? Yes. Flawed? Absolutely. But I am so grateful our Father God creates beauty in each one of our imperfections. Those the world labels as lemons and leftovers are those He defines as valuable. You are loved, cherished, uniquely created, the apple of his eye, complete in Christ–to name just a few of the many words of grace written over your life.
May the truth of His Words bring joy and encouragement to you today: Psalm 17:8 • Psalm 139:1-18 • Ephesians 2:10 • I Timothy 4:4 • Colossians 1:16 • 1 John 3:1

UNWANTED HOUSE GUESTS Author Unknown
Have you ever had unwanted house guests? I am talking about the ones who wear out their welcome in the first two minutes yet plan to stay forever. I am talking about the ones who trash the place, eat all the food, sit in your favorite chair, and take over your bed. I am talking about the ones that even your dogs avoid. I am talking about the ones that take everything and give back nothing. I am talking about the ones that only brighten up a room when they leave it.
I had two guests like this for years. Their names were Fear and Hate and they seemed like permanent squatters in my soul. Every time I would try and toss them out, I would look around a few days later and find that they had snuck back in. They also invited their friends Worry, Doubt, Jealousy, Envy, Frustration, Depression, and Despair to stay as well. It made for a miserable home and a miserable life.
Finally one day I could take it no longer. I cried out to God to help me get rid of these unwanted guests once and for all. It was then that I heard a gentle knock on the door of my soul. When I opened it I found Love there smiling at me. I invited Love in and watched as my unwanted house guests fled out the door and through the windows. They couldn’t leave quick enough. Then Love asked his friends Peace and Joy over to help straighten up the place. I soon realized too that Love was a guest I never wanted to leave. Every now and then Fear and Hate will try to sneak back in, but when they see Love sitting on the couch they run.
God loves us so much and He wants us to love as well. He wants us to choose love, share love, and fill our lives with love. He wants us to love each other as He loves us. He wants us to make Love our permanent house guest and best friend. Open your door then. Invite Love in. Let Fear and Hate hit the highway. Make your home a happy one now and forever.

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
I heard the word divergent. And, the Lord says, "Forces of darkness have begun to scatter you, My people, and cause you to move apart and go in different directions. The enemy's goal is to distract you from your primary purpose and focus. It is vital that you stay connected to Me at this time and maintain a sense of unity with one another. Be one with Me." Ephesians 4:3 endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

There are certain requirements that must be met at this time before you can be free to do the next thing. Establish yourself in a place of willingness to do all that I have asked of you, and continue to accomplish what I have set before you, says the Lord. Be strong and do the work. 2 Chronicles 15:7 "But you, be strong and do not let your hands be weak, for your work shall be rewarded!"

Find your place of peace even in the midst of turmoil. Be calm and collected regardless of what is going on around you. Rise above the darkness of the earth and live as a citizen of the Kingdom of Heaven, says the Lord. Refuse to be troubled by what you hear. You belong to Me, and I will protect My own. John 14:27 "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

I see and know what you have endured at the hands of others, but I want you to give up on any thought of retaliation or retribution. When you take matters into your own hands instead of putting your trust in Me, I cannot bring justice. Your forgiveness and the release of your anger will make a way for My judgment to be carried out, says the Lord. Romans 12:19 Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
Do the work. Practice My word. Redeem the times that you live in. Have your sins covered by the blood of Christ. Walk in integrity. Walk with the Spirit; He will set you free and He will teach truth. He will bring you into the perfection I have designed for you, says the Lord. For, it is My will that you prosper and live in health. It is My will that you be strong in My Spirit and the power that I provide for you. Come and receive that which I have done on your behalf. Come and participate in these times, these perilous times, with Me, but do so in the power of My Spirit for it is My power to give. It is My power to pour out. It is mine to give unto you this day and I do so gladly. Receive it.

Jesus Gave Me Hope by Robert F. Dotson
I don't know what you're going through.
But, I wanted you to know, I've struggled through
Some hard times, too, when tears began to flow.
It was then I called on Jesus' name, during a time I could not cope,
And my circumstance was not the same. For, Jesus gave me hope!
He said, "My child, come unto me, and I will give you rest!
Just have faith and you will see, I'll help you stand the test!"
His voice, then, calmed life's troubled sea!
The billows ceased to roll! A wonderful peace came over me,
As great joy filled my soul!
Now, I've learned to trust in Him, no matter, come what may!
And though life's path is often dim, He'll guide me all the way!

A moth, fluttering and flying
Dazzled by the light of a candle
Hits the flame and dies
And I, drawn to the light of Christ
Drawn to the light of love
Throw myself into the flame
And die, yes, die to self
Then from the flame of Christ
I rise to live a new life
Author Unknown

In all your ways submit to [the Lord], and he will make your paths straight. - Proverbs 3:6

See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! 1 John 3:1

May the God of steadfastness and encouragement grant you to live in harmony with one another, in accordance with Christ Jesus. Romans 15:5

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:6

Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. James 1:12

And do not seek what you will eat and what you will drink, and do not keep worrying. For all these things the nations of the world eagerly seek; but your Father knows that you need these things. But seek His kingdom, and these things will be added to you. - Luke 12:29-31

And Jesus answered saying to them, ‘Have faith in God. Truly I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, Be taken up and cast into the sea, and does not doubt in his heart, but believe that what he says is going to happen, it will be granted him. Therefore I say to you, all things for which you pray and ask, believe that you have received them, and they will be granted you.’ - Mark 11:22-24

STEPPING OUT IN FAITH by Mary Southerland
“Without faith no one can please God. Anyone who comes to God must believe that he is real and that he rewards those who truly want to find him.” (NCV)
I grew up in a small Texas town where tornadoes were a fairly common occurrence. When the clouds turned a peculiar shade of green and gusts of wind bullied their way across our little town my family would gather around the radio, waiting for news from the local weather man - hoping and praying that it was just an ugly storm headed our way. A few times, however, we were forced to climb down into the damp, musty storm shelter buried in our backyard. I hated those storms and with great conviction vowed that when I grew up I would live in a place that had no storms!
But then we moved to South Florida. While living in Fort Lauderdale, I was introduced to hurricanes and saw first-hand the devastation that these monstrous storms can bring. Hurricanes sweep brutally over their prey with a vicious strength, leaving nothing but destruction and terror behind. Homes are reduced to useless rubble, memories are washed away and lives are often lost.
I had always thought of hurricanes as something that mankind could certainly do without but have recently learned that they are necessary phenomena in order to maintain a certain balance in nature. Scientists tell us that hurricanes are extremely valuable because they break up a large percentage of the oppressive heat that builds up at the equator. Hurricanes are also indirectly responsible for much of the rainfall in North and South America.
As a result of these findings, meteorologists no longer feel the need to use cloud-seeding techniques to prevent hurricanes from being formed. In fact the world of science is convinced that hurricanes actually do more good than harm.
The storms of life are much the same. Trials, pain, difficult circumstances and hard times are here to stay. We cannot stop the occurrence of storms, but we can change our response to those storms. With every storm comes the opportunity to trust God and see faith grow. If you are like me, when the storm hits, my natural first response is a fervent plea for deliverance. Every day things happen that are beyond my understanding and out of my control. I often turn to God and ask, “Why?” What I really want to know is why me, why this, why now?
That is where faith comes in. Faith is a natural by-product of trust and follows the choice to believe God no matter what! He wants us to wholly trust Him even when we do not understand and cannot explain the stormy circumstances swirling around us. When absolutely nothing makes sense and everything seems completely wrong He asks us to trust Him. Oh, it is easy to sing praises when the seas are calm and the boat is still. But the strength of our faith is justly measured in the midst of the raging storm. A job is lost – a marriage is destroyed – a child has strayed – a dream has died. It is in those bleak, seemingly hopeless moments that the value and depth of our faith is computed.
A crisis always reveals what is really inside. What life does to us depends on what life finds in us! Anything – any trial or pain – that drives us to God can be counted as a blessing. Faith sees the storm as a chance for God to work in a new way. Faith sees the darkness as an opportunity for His light to shine brighter. Faith sees pain as an opportunity for God to comfort and encourage His precious child.
The next time the storm churns around you, step out of that rocking boat and walk by faith toward your waiting God. Choose to believe that God is in control of today. Determine to face the storms that come with faith. Thank Him now for the trials that drive you to Him.

Gracious God, when the road we walk seems dark, confusing and hopeless, grant us the courage to press on toward the eternal reward you promise for each of us. Amen.

Read Through The Bible
Job 13
1 Lo, mine eye hath seen all this, mine ear hath heard and understood it. 2 What ye know, the same do I know also: I am not inferior unto you. 3 Surely I would speak to the Almighty, and I desire to reason with God. 4 But ye are forgers of lies, ye are all physicians of no value. 5 O that ye would altogether hold your peace! and it should be your wisdom. 6 Hear now my reasoning, and hearken to the pleadings of my lips. 7 Will ye speak wickedly for God? and talk deceitfully for him? 8 Will ye accept his person? will ye contend for God? 9 Is it good that he should search you out? or as one man mocketh another, do ye so mock him? 10 He will surely reprove you, if ye do secretly accept persons. 11 Shall not his excellency make you afraid? and his dread fall upon you? 12 Your remembrances are like unto ashes, your bodies to bodies of clay. 13 Hold your peace, let me alone, that I may speak, and let come on me what will. 14 Wherefore do I take my flesh in my teeth, and put my life in mine hand? 15 Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him. 16 He also shall be my salvation: for an hypocrite shall not come before him. 17 Hear diligently my speech, and my declaration with your ears. 18 Behold now, I have ordered my cause; I know that I shall be justified. 19 Who is he that will plead with me? for now, if I hold my tongue, I shall give up the ghost. 20 Only do not two things unto me: then will I not hide myself from thee. 21 Withdraw thine hand far from me: and let not thy dread make me afraid. 22 Then call thou, and I will answer: or let me speak, and answer thou me. 23 How many are mine iniquities and sins? make me to know my transgression and my sin. 24 Wherefore hidest thou thy face, and holdest me for thine enemy? 25 Wilt thou break a leaf driven to and fro? and wilt thou pursue the dry stubble? 26 For thou writest bitter things against me, and makest me to possess the iniquities of my youth. 27 Thou puttest my feet also in the stocks, and lookest narrowly unto all my paths; thou settest a print upon the heels of my feet. 28 And he, as a rotten thing, consumeth, as a garment that is moth eaten.

Thank you, dear God, for the many ways you bring peace, joy, and a sense of purpose to our lives. Your presence with us is a gift beyond measure. Thank you for the many times and many ways you have shown your love for us. Help us to express our love for you — through our actions as well as our words. Amen.

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply