Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - August 5

Remember, God loves you. Start out the day with Him at the top of the list.

"God is always revealing Himself to us through His Word and through the works of His hands. He's an intentional God, brimming over with purpose, infusing meaning into everything around us." - Joni Eareckson Tada

In all our trials, our Savior is with us. When others are suffering, we can share the good news that we do not go through it alone. Our God suffers with us.

When our spirit becomes “corroded,” we need not despair. God promises forgiveness if we confess our sins with repentant hearts. God can restore our spirits and renew us.

Scripture invites us to pray about every aspect of our lives: the sufferings, the joys, the conflicts, even the weather. God hears and answers our prayers — rarely in predictable ways, but God answers all the same. How grateful we are for God, who cares about our challenges and our victories far more than even we do!

All of us experience the storms of life. Sometimes we are strong in the face of such trials; other times we feel weak under the weight of life’s lessons. God always knows when we are unsteady and in need of divine strength. We can show this same kindness to others. Though we don’t always know the extent of others’ trials, we can always offer encouragement. We can offer our loving support and help others to stand a little stronger after the storm.

When we look for God in the picture, we can see things more clearly. We can step confidently into the future — however alarming it looks — and trust the Good Shepherd to lead the way. Today we will remember God’s past faithfulness to us.

CRACKED POTS
The story is told of a water bearer in India who had two large pots. They hung on each end of a pole which he carried across his neck, but one of the pots had a crack in it. While the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water at the end of the long walk from the stream to the master's house, the cracked pot arrived only half full. For two years this went on daily, with the bearer delivering only one and a half pots of water to his master's house.
Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments, perfect to the end for which it was made. But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection, and miserable that it was able to accomplish only half of what it had been made to do.
After two years of what it perceived to be a bitter failure, it spoke to the water bearer one day by the stream. "I am ashamed of myself, and I want to apologize to you."
"Why?" asked the bearer. "What are you ashamed of?"
"I have been able, for these past two years, to deliver only half my load because this crack in my side causes water to leak out all the way back to your master's house. Because of my flaws, you have to do all of this work, and you don't get full value from your efforts," the pot said.
In his compassion, the water bearer said, "As we return to the master's house, I want you to notice the beautiful flowers along the path."
Indeed, as they went up the hill, the old cracked pot took notice of the sun warming the beautiful wild flowers on the side of the path, and this cheered it some. But at the end of the trail, it still felt bad because it had leaked out half its load, and so again it apologized to the bearer for its failure.
The bearer said to the pot, "Did you notice that there were flowers only on your side of your path, but not on the other pot's side? That's because I have always known about your flaw, and I took advantage of it. I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back from the stream, you've watered them. For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate my master's table. Without you being just the way you are, he would not have this beauty to grace his house."
It is an amazing thing (but true) that God is able to accomplish some wonderful things through our efforts, in spite of our imperfections. Paul said of his role as a preacher of the gospel:
"But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us." (2 Cor. 4:7).
Though we may often feel inadequate and useless, if we will continue about the task that God has given us, we will produce fruit and influence lives in ways we may not even be aware of.
"Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord." (I Cor. 15:58).
May your life "abound" this day in the work of the Lord! Though you may sometimes feel like a "cracked pot", your efforts are not in vain. Have a great day! Alan Smith

Light of Life by Iris Rivera González
The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:2223 (NRSV)
A few months ago I lost sight in my right eye. A detached retina and a mature cataract limited my vision; when I close my left eye, I see only a black spot.
Sometimes I compare the physical change in my right eye to my life before I knew Christ. I was lost and in a dark place. When I open my left eye, however, I rejoice and thank God for bringing me into the light and to salvation.
I know God is at work despite what is happening in my life now. When I have the cataract operation, more than likely my eyesight will not be restored to the level it was prior to having the cataract. But I will always remember through this experience how God brought me out of my spiritual darkness into the light of life in Christ. (See John 8:12.)

The Ripple Effect Author Unknown
In 1855, A Sunday School teacher, a Mr. Kimball, led a Boston shoe clerk to give his life to Christ. The clerk, Dwight L. Moody, became an evangelist.
In England in 1879, Dwight L. Moody awakened evangelistic zeal in the heart of Fredrick B. Meyer, pastor of a small church.
F.B. Meyer, preaching to an American college campus, brought to Christ a student named J. Wilbur Chapman.
J. Wilbur Chapman, engaged to YMCA work, employed a former baseball player, Billy Sunday, to do evangelistic work.
Bill Sunday held a revival in Charlotte, N.C. A group of local men were so enthusiastic afterward that they planned another evangelistic campaign, bringing Mordecai Hamm to town to preach.
During Mordecai Hamm's revival, a young man named Billy Graham heard the Gospel and yielded his life to Christ.
Only Eternity will reveal the tremendous impact of that one Sunday School teacher, Mr. Kimball, who invested his life in the lives of others.

WAITING FOR THE WIND Author Unknown
My nephew's 10 year old son came for a visit one hot, July weekend. I was enticing him to stay inside by joining him in a Nintendo game. After being mercilessly defeated by a more experienced player, I suggested that we relax awhile. I collapsed into my favorite recliner to let my neck muscles relax and my ego recover from such a beating. He had slipped out of the room and I was catching a few relished moments of peace and quiet.
"Look, Alice," he said enthusiastically as he ran over to the chair where I was recovering.
"I found a kite. Could we go outside and fly it?" Glancing out a nearby window, I noticed there was not a breeze stirring. "I'm sorry, Tripper," I said, sad to see his disappointed eyes, but thankful for the respite from more activity. "The wind is not blowing today. The kite won't fly." The determined 10 year old replied. "I think it's windy enough. I can get it to fly," he answered, as he hurried out the back door.
I peeked through the slats in the Venetian blinds to watch determination in action. Up and down the yard he ran, pulling the kite attached to a small length of string. The plastic kite, proudly displaying a picture of Batman, remained about shoulder level. He ran back and forth, as hard as his ten year old legs would carry him, looking back hopefully at the kite trailing behind.
After about ten minutes of unsuccessful determination, he came back in. I asked, "How did it go?" "Fine," he said, not wanting to admit defeat. "I got it to fly some."
As he walked past me to return the kite to the closet shelf, I heard him say under his breath, "I guess I'll have to wait for the wind." At that moment I heard another Voice speak to my heart. "Alice, sometimes you are just like that. You want to do it your way instead of waiting for the "Wind" - the "Wind" of God."
And the voice was right. How easy it is to use our own efforts to accomplish what we want to do. We wait for the "Wind" only after we have done all we can and have exhausted our own strength. We must learn how to rely on Him in the first place!
"I can do all things through God who strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13

Burn The Ships By M. Moneypenny
Over the years, I have found that there are two "never fail" places where I can have an uninterrupted conversation with the Lord - on the treadmill and in the shower. Why the treadmill is anyone's guess but I have always thought the shower was a natural (no pun intended) place to let my thoughts wander. For me, it's a great place to unwind and allow myself to think about things beyond schedules, appointments, etc. And as for the treadmill, I guess that walking on the treadmill is so monotonous that my mind is available in ways that it isn't during the rest of the day!?!?!? So with that said, picture this.
Treadmill torture at the gym - hair pulled back in a ponytail, water bottle within reaching distance and headphones turned up far beyond a safe listening level as I play a Steven Curtis Chapman tape. All at once, my ears do a double take - "What did he just say?" - feet off the treadmill, grab the safety bar with one hand and rewind the tape with the other... "Did he say burn the ships? What in the world does that mean?" I must have stood at that silly treadmill machine for ten minutes rewinding that tape back and forth trying to catch a glimpse of what he was really saying. I finally gave up, turned off my headphones and went to the locker room in frustration. Burn the ships...burn the ships...
A portion of "Burn the Ships" by Steven Curtis Chapman - Written by Steven Curtis Chapman and James Isaac Elliott.
"In the spring of 1519 a Spanish fleet set sail
Cortez told his sailors this mission must not fail
On the eastern shore of Mexico they landed with great dreams
But the hardships of the new world made them restless and weak
Quietly they whispered, "Let's sail back to the life we knew"
But the one who led them there was saying:
Burn the ships, we're here to stay
There's no way we could go back
Now that we've come this far by faith
Burn the ships, we've passed the point of no return
Our life is here
So let the ships burn..."
Ah ha! "So let the ships burn..." In other words, deny the impulse to go back to what we depended on before...I get it!
As Christians we are not supposed to depend on our flesh (our thoughts, ways, desires, methods, etc.) anymore. We have Christ. But the impulse, the desire to depend upon our flesh to meet our needs rather than depending on Christ is a very real and strong urge.
We are not alone. Think about the sons of Israel. In the second chapter of Exodus, we see that the sons of Israel have cried out to God for deliverance from their bondage in Egypt (Exodus 2:23). They are clearly looking to God for His provision. Well, you know the story - God answers their cries through His servant, Moses. But you know what? If we look throughout the book of Exodus and even over into Numbers, we will find that when the children of Israel found themselves in difficult circumstances, their immediate reaction was relatively predictable. Even when they were sitting on the edge of the Promised Land, they responded this way. Numbers 14:3 tells us, "And why is the Lord bringing us into this land to fall by the sword? Our wives and our little ones will become plunder; would it not be better for us to return to Egypt?'" They had forgotten again how desperate they had been to leave Egypt and how miserable their lives had been there. So, could we say that their first impulse or reaction was similar to Cortez's men as depicted in Stephen Curtis Chapman's song..."let's sail back to the life we once knew"? Can we also say that very often our first reaction to difficult times or unfamiliar territory is to turn back to what was familiar to us?
In Christ, we have been given the very resource for living and He lives inside each one of us. We now have a choice that we never had before we became Children of the Living God. We can choose to walk after the flesh or we can live by the Spirit. In other words, we can either "sail back to the life we once knew" or we can "burn the ships"!
So, I have just one question. Anyone got a match?

Child Like Faith, Fear Author Unknown
A little boy walked to and from school daily. Though the weather that morning was questionable and clouds were forming, he made his daily trek to the elementary school.
As the afternoon progressed, the winds whipped up, along with thunder and lightning.
The mother of the little boy felt concerned that her son would be frightened as he walked home from school and she herself feared that the electrical storm might harm her child. Following the roar of thunder, lightning would cut through the sky like a flaming sword.
Full of concern, the mother quickly got into her car and drove along the route to her child's school. As she did so, she saw her little boy walking along, but at each flash of lightning, the child would stop, look up and smile. Another and another were to follow quickly and with each the little boy would look at the streak of light and smile.
When the mother's car drew up beside the child, she lowered the window and called to him, "What are you doing? Why do you keep stopping?"
The child answered, "I am trying to look nice. God keeps taking my picture."
May God bless you today as you face the storms that come your way.

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
Take every opportunity that presents itself to adjust and correct situations that have been difficult and wrong. Adjustments will open the way to move forward without hindrance, says the Lord. But, you will have to deal with things that would be easier to ignore. Set yourself on a path of truth and righteousness. Proverbs 4:18 But the path of the just is like the shining sun, that shines ever brighter unto the perfect day.

For those who can receive it, you are about to embark on a new spiritual journey. It will present unusual risks, but will also have the potential for great reward. This journey will require the kind of determination that is born out of a struggle for life and freedom. I will give you the strength necessary to achieve your goal, says the Lord. Psalms 84:5 Blessed is the man whose strength is in You, whose heart is set on pilgrimage.

Monitor your reactions to changes that are forced upon you. Do not overreact, but rather take them in stride and stay in peace. Most of what is changing at this time will be beneficial to you in the long run even though it is a bother and irritation to have to deal with now. Trust Me to give you the strength and wisdom to do all that is necessary, says the Lord. Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Make sure you nourish your spirit with that which is pure and holy. Be diligent to feed on the truth and righteousness of My word instead of things that disrupt your peace, says the Lord. You are what you eat! Psalms 37:3 Trust in the LORD, and do good; dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness.

You have asked for wisdom for very specific things, and if you will be on the alert you will find that I am giving you the answers you need and the clarity you desire. Your part is to not get discouraged or decide that I don't care, says the Lord. I know everything about you, and I understand your needs. I am with you and for you; it is not in My nature to ignore you. Be still, quiet your soul, and wait in faith. The answers will come. Matthew 6:8 ...your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.

This is a time when you should reflect on how you handled your most recent challenge. Did you get afraid and lose your composure? Or, did you quietly stand on your foundation of faith and trust Me to bring you through? How you responded will tell you something about where you are spiritually and could lead the way to victory in the future. Be honest with yourself, says the Lord. Colossians 1:21-23 And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight—if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister.

Watch for flesh reactions that open the door to the enemy; he is always looking for an opportunity to establish discouragement, hopelessness, and disability in your life. Defeat him at the first sign of his work, or he will work to defeat you at every turn. Remember that I am greater than he is, says the Lord, and when you abide in Me you are also greater. 1 Peter 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
It has been spoken over you that the blessings of this season are for you. These blessings you may receive simply by believing in that which I have spoken about, which I have confirmed by My word, says the Lord. So, be blessed in this time. Activate your faith. Let the voice of the Lord be heard. Let His signs be received.

A new spiritual habitation is being presented to us, and Jesus is saying, “Come up here, and I will show you things. Things you need to know. Be a watchman. Become like the sons of Issachar who have understanding of the times and seasons.” 1 Chronicles 12:32 of the sons of Issachar who had understanding of the times, to know what Israel ought to do...

"START OVER!" Author Unknown
When you've trusted God and walked his way
When you've felt his hand lead you day by day
But your steps now take you another way...
START OVER!
When you've made your plans and they've gone awry
When you've tried your best and there's no more try
When you've failed yourself and you don't know why...
START OVER!
When you've told your friends what you plan to do
When you've trusted them and they didn't come through
And you're all alone and it's up to you...
START OVER!
When you've failed your kids and they're grown and gone
When you've done your best but it's turned out wrong
And now your grandchildren come along...
START OVER!
When you've prayed to God so you'll know his will
When you've prayed and prayed and you don't know still
When you want to stop cause you've had your fill...
START OVER!
When you think you're finished and want to quit
When you've bottomed out in life's deepest pit
When you've tried and tried to get out of it...
START OVER!
When the year has been to long and successes few
When December comes and you're feeling blue
God gives a January just for you...
START OVER!
Starting over means "Victories Won"
Starting over means "A Race Well Run"
Starting over means "God's Will Done"
Don't just sit there...
START OVER!

Remind Me, God
When I am lonely and
Perhaps I feel despair,
Let not my ailing heart forget
That YOU hear every prayer...
Remind me that no matter what
I do or fail to do,
There still is hope for as long
as I have FAITH in YOU...
Let not my eyes be blinded by
Some folly I commit,
But help me to regret my wrong
And make amends for it.
Inspire me to put my fears
Upon a hidden shelf,
And in the future try not to
Feel sorry for myself.
Give me the restful sleep I need
Before another dawn,
And bless me in the morning with
THE COURAGE TO GO ON.
Author Unknown

Psalm 119:114 – You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.

"Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from your presence; or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me." (Psalm 51:10-12)

“Be merciful to me, O God! For my soul trusts in You; and in the shadow of Your wings I make my refuge.” (Psalm 57:1)

Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. - Romans 12:11

The psalmist wrote, “Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.” - Psalm 51:10

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. - 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

The psalmist wrote, “As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. My soul thirsts for . . . the living God.” - Psalm 42:1-2

The psalmist wrote, “ You, who have shown me many troubles and calamities, will revive me once more. From the depths of the earth, you will raise me up one more time.” - Psalm 71:20

The Weight by Lynne Phipps
This summer, my brother and I had two roofs to re-shingle. Before we could start, however, the old rolled roofing needed to be removed. Why? Because the weight of the old roofing plus the weight of the new roofing could prove to be too heavy and cause the roof to collapse, especially during the winter months with the increased weight of snowfall.
As we were up there with the shovel, working hard to remove the old roofing, I was reminded of the weight of the guilt of sin and the devastating effects that it can have upon a person. Guilt has the ability to haunt us. It can keep us awake at night, make us fearful, and sap our strength in general, as we beat ourselves up over our actions. We wish that we hadn't done what we did. We worry that others might find out, and then, what will happen? We wonder what kind of a person acts the way we did. Yes, the weight of the guilt of our sin is indeed a heavy burden to bear.
However, it is a weight that can be removed if we will only do the work necessary to get rid of it. And what work is that? you might ask. It's the work of humbling ourselves before God, acknowledging our sin, being truthful and sorry about what we have done, and then, believing and embracing by faith that indeed the Lord has forgiveness us, for, as the Scriptures state:
Psalm 103:10-12 – He does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. (NIV)
Are you feeling the weight of the guilt of your sin today? Well, now that you know how to relieve yourself of it, get to it! You'll be so glad that you did.
Prayer: Father God, how wonderful it is to know that we are a forgiven people. We do not need to bear the weight of the guilt of our sin if we will only be humble, truthful, believing people before You. Grant us, this day, hearts and wills that desire to do what we need to do to become burden-free people. In Christ's name, we ask. Amen.

Lord, may I simply walk with You. Take my hand and guide me through every moment of this day. Amen.

Read Through The Bible
Psalm 26
1 Judge me, O Lord; for I have walked in mine integrity: I have trusted also in the Lord; therefore I shall not slide. 2 Examine me, O Lord, and prove me; try my reins and my heart. 3 For thy lovingkindness is before mine eyes: and I have walked in thy truth. 4 I have not sat with vain persons, neither will I go in with dissemblers. 5 I have hated the congregation of evil doers; and will not sit with the wicked. 6 I will wash mine hands in innocency: so will I compass thine altar, O Lord: 7 That I may publish with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all thy wondrous works. 8 Lord, I have loved the habitation of thy house, and the place where thine honour dwelleth. 9 Gather not my soul with sinners, nor my life with bloody men: 10 In whose hands is mischief, and their right hand is full of bribes. 11 But as for me, I will walk in mine integrity: redeem me, and be merciful unto me. 12 My foot standeth in an even place: in the congregations will I bless the Lord.

Steadfast God, Thank you for your grace and loving-kindness. Help us to care for our spirits by spending time daily with you. Help us to discern and to choose your will for our lives. Renew us with your living water, through Jesus Christ. Amen.

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply