Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 04-01-2017, 05:53 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Today's Thought - April

April 1

... all shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
--Julian of Norwich

Why are we prone to exaggerating the seriousness of the circumstances in our lives? Perhaps it's because we lived for years barely on the fringe of sensible choices. We reacted hysterically to all manner of experiences, the mundane as well as the momentous. Our reactions could turn any situation sour. At long last we are learning a new behavior, but it takes practice.

As we learn to rely on a Higher Power to help us handle our experiences, we begin to grow in peace and the belief that all is well. Even when we are tormented by a decision, we can have faith that our Higher Power will lead us where we need to go. Our part of the bargain is to ask for help and to be open to guidance.

I will know peace today because I will trust my Higher Power's guidance in the situations I face. All will be well if I do my part.

You are reading from the book:

A Woman's Spirit by Karen Casey
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2017, 05:05 AM   #2
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 2

Ask, and ye shall receive.
--John 16:24

Somewhere in our past life, we may have picked up the idea that it's not all right to ask for help, that asking for help would be a sign of weakness. Recovery calls for some basic changes in our thinking, and when we feel vulnerable is the best time to reach out and ask for help from our Higher Power, from our program, and from our friends in recovery. It's hard for us, at first. We may be afraid of rejection, or of being laughed at for not knowing all the answers. But once we've taken the risk and openly asked for help, we realize our fears are a part of the past, and we can leave them behind us.

In asking for help, we acknowledge that we can't do it all by ourselves. We surrender once again to powerlessness. And we give others the joy and satisfaction of helping us.

Today if I'm feeling I'm on a "solo-fight," help me to reach out and find support just by asking.

Body, Mind, and Spirit by Anonymous
Old 04-03-2017, 05:56 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 3

At fifteen life had taught me undeniably that surrender, in its place, was as honorable as resistance, especially if one had no choice.
--Maya Angelou

We had to surrender to a power greater than ourselves to get to where we are today. And each day, we have to turn to that power for strength and guidance. For us, resistance means struggle - struggle with others as well as an internal struggle.

Serenity isn't compatible with struggle. We cannot control forces outside of ourselves. We cannot control the actions of our family or our co-workers. We can control our responses to them. And when we choose to surrender our attempts to control, we will find peace and serenity.

That which we abhor, that which we fear, that which we wish to conquer seems suddenly to be gone when we decide to resist no more - to tackle it no more.

The realities of life come to us in mysterious ways. We fight so hard, only to learn that what we need will never be ours until the struggle is forsaken. Surrender brings enlightenment.

Life's lessons are simple once I give up the struggle.

The program is helping us restructure our lives. We discover that many former, automatic responses no longer fit who we desire to be. That means we have to try new, less-practiced behaviors, such as being honest without being harsh or critical.

Learning tenderness is possible. With the help of this program and one another, we are learning to express the acceptance and love that have been given to us by our Higher Power. Giving away what we have been given is sharing the truth absolutely.

I will not hurt anyone today by any comment. I will truthfully share the love and acceptance I have been given.

Each Day a New Beginning by Karen Casey
Old 04-04-2017, 06:25 AM   #4
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 4

He who requires urging to do a noble act will never accomplish it.
--Kahlil Gibran

The Third Step speaks of willingness. Willingness puts our hearts and souls into the task at hand. Willingness doesn't get rid of the fears, but it helps us find the courage to work through them. Willingness doesn't give us the knowledge to solve the problem, but it may give us the energy to leave our isolation and seek out others with the knowledge. Willingness doesn't do away with ego; it just shows us an alternative to ego. Willingness is the voice of our Higher Power saying, "I believe in you and want you to do the same." Willingness is the seed wanting to break through the soil to see the light of day, to be what it is meant to be.

Prayer for the Day

I pray for willingness to do the next right thing. I seek courage, knowledge, the support of others, and my Higher Power's guidance.

Today's Action

I will work to notice how willingness is behind all actions. I will work today to be a willing participant in my own life, and in my own recovery.

God Grant Me... by Anonymous
Old 04-05-2017, 07:05 AM   #5
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 5

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
--The Serenity Prayer

Newcomer

What if the person to whom I'm trying to make amends is still too angry to accept my apology or doesn't want anything to do with me?

Sponsor

This is an important question. When we speak our amends aloud or write them in a letter, as long as we have acknowledged the harm we've done and are committed to doing things differently, then our amends are genuine and we've done our part.

One of the things over which we have no control is the way another person reacts to our amends. He or she may be understanding, even loving and generous, or may not be as ready to forgive us as we are to acknowledge the harm we've done. Hearing from us may revive old anger or pain. Some may think we're trying to get off easy. Our recovery itself may cause resentment.

In time, friends' or relatives' attitudes may change – or they may not. We can't force other human beings to forgive us or to want us in their lives, and we can't make things happen on our timetable.

Today, I do my part by taking appropriate actions; I turn over the results of those actions to my Higher Power.

If You Want What We Have by Joan Larkin
Old 04-06-2017, 05:21 AM   #6
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 6

Words are the voice of the heart.
--Confucius

What does my heart have to say today? Am I happy? Or am I troubled? We will find this out if we slow down and listen to our words. We can also hear our spirit in the tone of our words.

We are to meditate. Meditation is about slowing down so we can hear what our spirit is trying to tell us. Meditation is listening. Our spirit is but a quiet whisper inside us. To hear it we must quiet ourselves.

Slowing down allows us to find our center. As we find our center we find our spirit and our Higher Power.

Do I take the time needed to slow myself down? Do I take the time to listen - to listen to my heart?

Prayer for the Day

Higher Power, teach me to slow down. Teach me to listen. Teach me to hear Your whispers as well as Your yells.

Action for the Day

Today, I will take a half hour to slow down and listen. I will find a place to relax and listen to my heart and my words.

Keep It Simple by Anonymous
Old 04-07-2017, 07:12 AM   #7
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 7

Celebrate who you are

Today, celebrate who you are. Yes, you have much in common with other people. But you're also uniquely you.

Grab a piece of paper and something to write with. Now write down:

1. A lesson that you have learned in life.
2. A talent that you have, no matter how quirky.
3. Your favorite meal.
4. The name of a friend who respects and likes you for who you are.
5. An activity that you enjoy.

Now, pick up the phone and call your friend. Invite him or her to a celebration with you. Do the activity that you enjoy – go for a walk, go to a ballgame, sit at home and watch videos, whatever you like to do. Then prepare your favorite meal or go to a restaurant and have them prepare it. Show your friend your talent – remember this person likes and respects you for who you are. So if you can balance e a ping pong ball on the tip of your nose, go ahead and do that. Show him or her how good you are. Talk to your friend about the lessons you have learned, and invite him or her to share a lesson learned from you.

Instead of fussing and worrying about how different you are, be grateful that you're unique.

Celebrate being you.

God, thanks for me, too.

More Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie
Old 04-08-2017, 02:47 AM   #8
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 8

Life Is a Gift

Thank you, God. May I remember during periods of depression.

The many times in my life when things do seem right, when I have those moments of clarity.

When I feel there is hope, when the sun shines down on me and warms my face, when Your love warms my heart.

I am reminded that life is a gift . . . this I pray.

The 12 Step Prayer Book Volume 2 by Bill P. and Lisa D.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:08 AM   #9
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 9

Saying No

For many of us, the most difficult word to say is one of the shortest and easiest in the vocabulary: No. Go ahead, say it aloud: No.

No - simple to pronounce, hard to say. We’re afraid people won’t like us, or we feel guilty. We may believe that a “good” employee, child, parent, spouse, or Christian never says no.

The problem is, if we don’t learn to say no, we stop liking ourselves and the people we always try to please. We may even punish others out of resentment.

When do we say no? When no is what we really mean.

When we learn to say no, we stop lying. People can trust us, and we can trust ourselves. All sorts of good things happen when we start saying what we mean.

If we’re scared to say no, we can buy some time. We can take a break, rehearse the word, and go back and say no. We don’t have to offer long explanations for our decisions.

When we can say no, we can say yes to the good. Our no’s and our yes’s begin to be taken seriously. We gain control of ourselves. And we learn a secret: “No” isn’t really that hard to say.

Today, I will say no if that is what I mean.

The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie
Old 04-10-2017, 06:17 AM   #10
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 10

In wildness is the preservation of the world.
- Henry David Thoreau

Nature confronts us with its beauty in a flower or a furry animal. The awesomeness of nature is in a lightning bolt or a majestic mountain. Every variety of tree has its own uniquely textured bark. Each annual ring in a tree trunk is a natural record of the growing conditions in each year it grew. These things remind us we are not in charge, and we are moved by the experience.

This "wildness" is everywhere around us, and we are renewed by it when we interact with it. At night, in the city, we look up and see the ancient moon. When we live with a pet, it reminds us we are creatures too. We are part of this larger whole. We don't just appreciate nature -- we are nature. When we open our eyes and learn to be a part of it, it renews and lifts our spirits.

Today, I will notice my relationship with the sun and moon, with the plants and animals in my world.

Touchstones by Anonymous
Old 04-11-2017, 06:28 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 11

There can be a lot of hurt in love, and there is always risk, and one can't help wondering sometimes if there couldn't be a better way to live.
--Merle Shain

We want to love and be loved, and we mistakenly believe the right significant other will complete our world. The pain and troubling times that fester within a growing, changing relationship aren't really part of the bargain -- or so we think -- and the decision to stay eludes us sometimes. We run, and then we find ourselves once again longing for completion with another.

What we must understand is that the journey, alone or in partnership, will be uphill at least half the time. But we must also believe the path will only be as rugged as it needs to be to ensure our fullest development.

We simply must trust that it's worth the effort to love, and love some more, even when it hurts, even when we see only darkness at the end of the tunnel. The light will dawn.

Worthy of Love by Karen Casey
Old 04-12-2017, 07:00 AM   #12
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 12

You have freedom when you're easy in your harness.
--Robert Frost

Flowing with whatever comes to us in life eases us through each day's demands. When we resist change and the unfamiliar, we imprison ourselves and hide from God's invitations to grow. Only when we willingly experience God's lessons with trust and faith, and see them as blessings, are we able to wholeheartedly join in the stream of life.

With God in our life, what we once regarded as coincidence becomes the order of the day. Every situation and encounter weaves threads in the tapestry of our life, as we in turn are threads in the tapestry of others' lives.

The pattern unfolds every day that we live trusting that each moment is meant to bless us, educate us, and invite us to contribute our unique and necessary talents. God is here, now, guiding us. We only need to peacefully follow.

I will take it easy today in the sure knowledge that God will provide me with whatever I need.

In God's Care by Karen Casey
Old 04-13-2017, 07:11 AM   #13
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 13

Fear of Giving

It is often the fear of rejection that makes us afraid to give of ourselves. The person who is reluctant to share at a meeting may be holding back because of this fear. To share is to reveal who we are and where we are. If we feel inadequate, we do not want to expose this imagined inadequacy to other people.

If our self-image is too grand and inflated, we cannot possibly live up to it in reality. Expecting ourselves to be perfect sets us up for frustration and fear, since we know deep down that we do not measure up to our image of perfection.

With humility comes the willingness to give of what we have and what we are right now, without waiting until we are more eloquent or more accomplished. What we have to share is what someone else needs to receive. By focusing more on the needs of others and less on the imaginary concept of ourselves, which is our ego, we learn to overcome our fear of giving. What we have to give now is enough for today.

May I not be afraid to give.

Food for Thought by Elisabeth L.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:31 AM   #14
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 14

Independence, like honour, is a rocky island without a beach.
--Napoleon Bonaparte

Who hasn't taken pride in doing something that no one thought could be done? It gives us satisfaction to do something difficult, to lift our head high and say, "I did this alone." We take pride in being the best we can be.

But we can't find happiness in the pride that sets us against our fellow humans, saying, "I don't need you," or even, "I'm better than you." We do need each other. And each of us has strengths, weaknesses, and God-given talents that God expects us to use to help each other.

I will offer my help to others, and in return, I will receive the help I need.

In God's Care by Karen Casey
Old 04-15-2017, 06:58 AM   #15
bluidkiti
Administrator

April 15

Reflection for the Day

Why do I do what I do? Why did I say what I said? Why on earth did I put off an important responsibility? Questions like these, best asked of myself in a quiet time of meditation, demand honest answers. I may have to think deeply for those answers, going beyond the tempting rationalizations that lack the luster of truth. Have I accepted the fact that self-deception can only damage me, providing a clouded and unrealistic picture of the person I really am?

Today I Pray

May God allow me to push aside my curtain of fibs, alibis, rationalizations, justification, distortions and downright lies and let in the light on the real truths about myself. May I meet the person I really am and take comfort in the person I can become.

Today I Will Remember

Hello, Me. Meet the Real Me.

A Day at a Time (Softcover) by Anonymous
Post New ThreadReply