Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Daily Spiritual Meditations Post spiritual meditations here to read and feel free to share.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 02-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #16
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 16

A PRECIOUS BLESSING

“Love and tolerance of others is our code.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 84

"Praise the Lord, for he has shown me his unfailing love." Psalm 31:21

For what it's worth: As if yesterday, I recall the torture of the worthless, lonely last years of my drinking. There was no love, and I was convinced I could never love or be loved. As if yesterday, I recall the delight of walking into my first Alcoholics Anonymous meeting and unexpectedly finding love. The acceptance and empathy from the people of Alcoholics Anonymous was a warm hug I never had before, and discovering God had lifted me out of the hell of alcoholism and was safeguarding me in Alcoholics Anonymous was a demonstration of His Love I never neither expected nor deserved. His love continues. I know because this former unloving and unlovable drunk is sober and loved by many I love. I thank my Heavenly Father every day for the precious blessing of love in my life, and, to keep it, I beg His grace to remain sober today.

God bless you.
Joe W.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #17
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 17

NO SHRINE

"I realized that the world might never build a shrine to the fact that I was sober." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 336

"For the Lord delights in his people; he crowns the humble with salvation." Psalm 149:4

For what it's worth: Alcoholism consorted with my defects of character and loved ones were deeply hurt. They certainly will build no shrine. Some may never forgive me. However, I know who has. A Higher Power has absolved me and takes delight in my recovery. God made a respectable man out of this past pitiful drunk, and He desires to be close to me. He guided me to Alcoholics Anonymous and gives me the Twelve Steps to climb up to an intimate relationship with Him, hopefully forever, surely for today.

God bless you.
Joe W.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Old 02-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #18
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 18

DIRECTION AND MERCY

"...We ask God's forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should be taken." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 86

"Lord, how great is your mercy; in your justice, give me back my life." Psalm 119: 156

For what it’s worth: My excruciating existence could not end soon enough. I welcomed alcoholism taking my life, and death was near the night I walked into a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous. I wanted to be able to say I had tried everything, then I would end my miserable life and the Judge would reduce my sentence. But the Judge was merciful and offered me a new, sober life with Twelve Steps as a guide to success. Slowly, now, as I apply these principles, I grow spiritually. On the days I do not, I go to my Heavenly Father to seek forgiveness and talk with Him about “corrective measures” needed to maintain my daily reprieve at the new life He has granted me. He loves for me to come to Him for direction and He is always merciful.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #19
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 18

MY FATHER’S STRONG ARMS

“He is the Father, and we are His children.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 62

“Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.” John1:12

For what it's worth: The anguish of my alcoholism proved God did not love this child. I carried this bag of garbage with me into Alcoholics Anonymous. After I stopped drinking and squeamishly listened to untold numbers share at meetings what God had done for them, I reluctantly cracked my closed mind and found all manner of insanity in my thinking about God. As this happened, I noticed how often God was mentioned as “Father” in Alcoholics Anonymous literature. Dr. Bob referred to His Higher Power as his Heavenly Father. This new concept of God as my Father gave me warmth and comfort where there had been only a cold, dark, empty soul. Even a feeble attempt at prayer and meditation nourished the idea, and I have come to believe I am a child of God, one He loves dearly. I know because my Heavenly Father opens up His arms to me every time I need to run to Him, jump up in His lap, and be held in His strong, loving arms.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #20
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 20

CLOSER TO HIM

"Here was power to live to the end of any given day, power to have the courage to face the next day…" Alcoholics Anonymous, page 386

"He is mighty in both power and understanding." Job 36:5

For what it's worth: Suicide did not work. God always used His power against me, forcing me to face another dreaded day. This I believed during my insane drinking, but, in fact, God’s loving omnipotence saved me from the fires of hell and placed my contrary character in Alcoholics Anonymous. He understood this was the only place on earth I could find the right people and Twelve Steps to climb closer to Him. He was right. Each day for many years, my Heavenly Father has granted me His grace to add brilliance to the bright days and His strength for courage to face the dark days. Both draw me closer to Him.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:36 AM   #21
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 21

PAIN WILL TURN TO JOY

"Most alcoholics have to be pretty badly mangled before they really commence to solve their problems." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 43

"…You will have pain, but your pain will turn into joy.” John 16:20

For what it’s worth: The idea of joy somehow hidden in pain was a religious hoax inflicted on the naive. I knew better. God was punishing me because of the people I hurt, so there would be no joy from the horror of my alcoholism. Again, I undersold God. Looking back, I see the bliss had already started. God was using my fear to drive me to Alcoholics Anonymous where my pain did turn to joy. Granted, it took work and God’s grace, starting with staying sober one-day-at-a-time despite severe cravings to drink. Then, regardless of my resistance, I needed to solve many problems using the Twelve Steps. Along the way I have seen every drop of agony I have ever experienced used by God in some creative way to help me or another suffering soul. Yet, realizing all of this, I still wait for distress to become intolerable before I surrender to my Heavenly Father. Today, I pray I will go to Him sooner, and I wil ask Him to come to me in case I get stubborn again.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #22
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 22

GOD'S WORK

"Clean the slate, God, so we can start the day fresh! Keep me from stupid sins, from thinking I can take over your work." Psalm 19:13 (The Message)

"We constantly remind ourselves we are no longer running the show, humbly saying to ourselves many times each day 'Thy will be done.'" Alcoholics Anonymous, page 88

For what it's worth: "My will be done" was my attitude during my drinking days, dragging me to the gates of hell. To avoid the eternal fires I had to accomplish something impossible for me: surrender "running the show" to a Higher Power. God’s merciful grace and lengthy sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous taught me this, and, there by, saved my life. Despite the risk, I still stupidly keep trying to "take over" God's work. I am deeply grateful I "can start the day fresh" anytime during the day, especially when I forget to seek God's will and jump right in with my insane ways.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #23
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 23

"WAIT PATIENTLY"

"The Scriptures give us hope and encouragement as we wait patiently for God’s promises to be fulfilled." Romans 15:4 (New Living Translation)

"They (the promises) are being fulfilled among us sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them." Alcoholics anonymous, page 84

For what it's worth: Alcoholism robbed me of all trust. I trusted nothing and no one when new in Alcoholics Anonymous. The first time I heard about the "promises" at a meeting, I challenged the speaker to prove what he was saying. He had no Big Book to back up his words. I told him I would be back next week to have him verify these "promises". He did. They filled me with hope until I realized they were not coming true for me. I had waited a week. My sponsor explained that some are slower than others. I believe he meant me. He was right. I needed the encouragement of many A.A. meetings to work hard and "wait patiently for God's promises to be fulfilled". Slowly, they have been.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #24
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 24

LETTING GO

"Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you."
1 Peter 5:7 (NLT)

"We relax and take it easy. We don't struggle."
Alcoholics Anonymous, page 86

For what it's worth: My fear of God was real and deep. I had betrayed Him and harmed many of His children. So, how was I able to abandon myself to God when the people in Alcoholics Anonymous assured me it was necessary to avoid alcoholism's hell? It was fear, not virtue, motivating me to talk about this at meetings and with my sponsor. The answer was always the same: ask God for help. When finally humble enough to do so, His arms were open and His support was immediate. My Heavenly Father had been waiting for me. Now, through many sober years and numerous personal experiences He has taught me to trust His love. Absolutely every time I "let go and let God", I can relax and not struggle as I do when I insist on letting go of God and letting Joe.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:37 AM   #25
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 25

RENEWED DAY BY DAY

“On awakening let us think about the twenty-four hours ahead.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 86

“Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.” 2 Corinthians 4:16

For what it’s worth: Every dawn was dreaded. Experience had proven the day would be full of alcohol, agony, anxiety, and despair. Let me not forget those mornings, and let me always thank God and Alcoholics Anonymous it is different now. I am renewed each morning with a new attitude. I am not faced with all of life, just twenty four hours of it, and no matter what yesterday was like, I can start over, making this the first twenty four hours in the rest of my life. I can have refreshed resolve, knowing I am not alone. My Heavenly Father will be with me all day long, and together we will be able to handle anything. Therefore, I go into this "first" day with gratitude and renewed trust in my Heavenly Father’s love.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #26
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 26

THE DEPTHS OF THE BOTTLE

“The less people tolerated us, the more we withdrew from society, from life itself.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 151

“Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted.” Psalm 25:16

For what its worth: My alcoholism was a jealous and brutal master, dragging me ever deeper into the bottle. I was alone, trapped, and drowning at the bottom of the bottle. When I finally walked through the doors of Alcoholics Anonymous, I was no longer isolated, surrounded by caring and gracious recovering alcoholics. They understood me and did not judge me. They accepted me and I felt I belonged there with them. I stopped drinking and kept coming back. Their attitude and example not only gave me hope and drew me into their fold, but pointed me toward a gracious God who loves me with all of my afflictions. Years of sobriety and spiritual growth were necessary to bring me close to my Heavenly Father, but today I know He grants me my daily bread and a daily reprieve from the depths of the bottle. I thank Him repeatedly.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:35 AM   #27
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 27

COMPLETION

“I am convinced that God, who began this good work in you, will carry it through to completion” Philippians 1:6 (GWT)

"We asked His protection and care with complete abandon." Alcoholics Anonymous, page 59

For what it's worth: My conviction God would complete His work with me by delivering me to hell's fire kept me drinking for years. I was close to death with this belief before I finally arrived at Alcoholics Anonymous. After years of sobriety in Alcoholics Anonymous, the turmoil of my disbelief forced me to take the Third Step, and, as best I could, ask "His protection and care with complete abandon". As I do so each new day, God teaches me to trust His love and surrender myself, difficult times, situations, and people to His care. I do this through the first three Steps. Accepting my powerlessness and the insanity of trying on my own, I place it in God's hands. I have to ask Him for strength to keep my will out of His way. If I do, He always carries it through to a completion far better than I could even imagine.

God bless you.
Joe W.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #28
bluidkiti
Administrator

February 28

DEPENDENT ON THE SHEPHERD

“We never apologize to anyone for depending upon our Creator.” Alcoholics Anonymous, page 68

“The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want.” Psalm 23:1

For what it's worth: Independence from God is what I sought in my drinking. That led to total dependence on alcohol and near death, right in front of the gates of hell, and without a God. But He was there, forgiving my attitude toward Him, rescuing me and leading me to green pastures beside restful waters in Alcoholics Anonymous. It turns out that He is my Good Shepherd. He restores my soul using the Twelve Steps. And, when I wander off too close to the wolves, He comes for me and carries this weak, little lamb close to His heart, as we walk together on the right path, Alcoholics Anonymous. My Good Shepherd sees to it that I have everything I need. I have come to depend upon Him.

God bless you!
Joe W.
Post New ThreadReply