Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default Daily Feast - December 16th - 23rd

December 16 - Daily Feast
Like anything else, if one is prepared to meet winter rather than cower at the thought, it is an excellent time to be happy and alive. When we are warm on the inside and we have no excessive fears, we can lean into the wind and pace ourselves to breathe the cold air and taste the snow without absorbing it. We were created to take domination over these things and it is time we proved it. But as long as there is one other person who is not warm, who does not see beauty, we can't be too comfortable not immune to winter.
~ I will ask him (the white man) to understand his ways, then I will prepare the way for my children. ~
MANY HORSES - OGLALA SIOUX, 1890
'A Cherokee Feast of Days, Volume II' by Joyce Sequichie Hifler
*<<<=-=>>>*<<<=-=>>>*<<<=-=>>>*<<<=-=>>>*
Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 16
"If you have one hundred people who live together, and if each one cares for the rest, there is One Mind."
--Shining Arrows, CROW
One of the principles of Community is Unity. The alignment of thoughts in groups of people will cause One Mind to form. One Mind is Unity. Each individual in the community must align their thoughts with what other members are thinking. If all the people think of helping one another, then the community will be service oriented and powerful results will be enjoyed. Having our thoughts aligned within a group will cause our children to experience a positive environment. When they have children, the grandchildren will automatically experience these results also.
My Creator, help me to contribute to positive group thought.
'THINK on THESE THINGS'
By Joyce Sequichie Hifler

To be in harmony with others, we must be in tune with ourselves. This is not always a state of mind easily come by, but necessary and possible to those who truly want to put their best foot forward.
They must cultivate and re-cultivate the things that make peace within themselves. They must not only have faith, but they must depend upon it, drawing from it energizing joy, love, and lightness of heart. They must know and understand the moods and manners of their coworkers and express to their colleagues their happiness and enthusiasm for the good things of life.
At times everyone has fits of uncertainty concerning their way of life. And it is gratifying to have someone capable of lifting us out of the blues and scattering the doldrums. But the job is mainly ours. We have to cross examine ourselves again and again to be sure there's nothing that will not contribute to our best self, or draw less than the best from others.
To be cooperative is not only beneficial to associations with others, but to our own health, peace, and happiness. Let there be peace and harmony and let it begin with me.

December 17 - Daily Feast
Something very special happens in a Christmas sky. The heavens are deeper, bluer, and even the stars glitter electricity and energy. The sky is alive and set apart from earthly activity - reflecting so much that we know in our hearts. But doubt and pain would steal this tranquil vision if we were to allow it. To stand and look into a Christmas sky tells us something about a Power far beyond our most vivid imagination. It removes us from competition, takes us out of pettiness and drains away the bitterness. Listen, this is no common phenomenon, this is all life, this is all peace, this is joy unspeakable!
~ But if the vision was true and mighty, it is true and mighty yet. ~
BLACK ELK - LAKOTA
Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 17
"Hear me! A single twig breaks, but the bundle of twigs is strong."
--Tecumseh, SHAWNEE
You can take one arrow and break it in half. But if you take 12 arrows in a bundle, it's almost impossible to break any of them. There is strength in Unity. When we are together we are very powerful. This is the way the ancestors told us we need to be. Strong. We need to unite ourselves. This is why the Elders say, when we make decisions, we must first consider the good of the people. If every person in the community thinks this way, then we will always make strong decisions.
Creator, let my decisions have the strength of the bundle.
'THINK on THESE THINGS'

Variety is said to be the spice of life. Anything in which we can continually find something new, a difference, will hold our attention indefinitely. Even the most interesting work can become monotonous if there never is a change. We are a restless people, finding life more livable and exciting when we know there is a bit of a change in store.
One isn't always aware of monotony. It is a subtle something that creeps silently into a well formed routine. And most are unaware of its presence until its victim, interest, begins to lose ground.
Sometimes a change of pace fulfills a need for variety, but the most satisfying is one's ability to lay aside a regular routine to lend a hand to a neighbor when he needs it.
The very old and happy habit of helping your neighbor never found a body bored. The hearts of helpers are light, not because they are searching for variety, but because variety finds them when self is forgotten and the need to help a neighbor is the only thought.

December 18 - Daily Feast
I watched her in the woods circling a red cedar not much taller than she was. It was her gift back to the woods that had given her so much peace and comfort - even when life outside the woods could be trying. She laid garlands of popcorn and cranberries over the sturdy limbs along with burr acorns and suet in mesh bags. Scattered beneath the tree were sunflower seeds and millet that cardinals and would attract unusual guests - miniature marshmallows were scattered in and around the tree, a sweet touch for woodland friends. A sweet touch, the best part of the gift. She gave, and peace would be given back to her.
~ Sometimes we prayed in silence; sometimes each one prayed aloud; sometimes an aged person prayed for all of us. ~
GERONIMO - APACHE
Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 18
"Parents have to demonstrate the value of trust, respect and honor."
--Haida Gwaii, Traditional Circle of Elders
Children learn more by watching than by listening. If we want our children to understand and value trust, they know it by watching how adults live their lives! If we want the children to be respectful, they will observe what the adults do and say to each other. We need to walk our talk. We need to remember the children are watching.
Grandfather, help me learn these important values: Trust, Respect and Honor.
'THINK on THESE THINGS'

There seems to be two important things to do in times of difficulty. One is to pray and the other to keep our sense of humor. The first is essential to make the basic correction and the other is necessary to balance the human spirit while things work out.
Without a sense of humor, we tend to become too serious about the personal self. It becomes all too important, too self-righteous, and far too self-centered.
At the first signs of trouble, we may want to find someone wiser in whom to confide and ask questions. And their advice may be most helpful, but it is still our own responsibility to get off our backs and do it with dignity and self-respect that will not lower our standards nor cause us embarrassment. And humor can help us do it.
There is humor in every situation if we can detach ourselves from the seriousness of it long enough to look for it. Abraham Lincoln knew the importance of his sense of humor and said, "With the fearful strain that is on me night and day, if I did not laugh I should die."

December 19 - Daily Feast
The road winds along the edge of the woodland and down over a steep hill until it reaches a gradual decline to the river bottom. The land is rich with wildlife, turkeys, rock chucks, squirrels, and in the nighttime this is a meeting place for singing coyotes. Herds of whitetail feed on rich bottom grass, and mountain lions stalk their prey. A little country school was once nestled in the glen and its storm cellar and spring still jut from the overgrown soil. Nearby a wagon road dug deep by many wheels goes on down to cross the river to join community with community. Who were these people, what were their dreams, and how did they overcome all the obstacles? They knew nothing of television or nuclear plants or miracle medicines. Some of them handled life with faith – and so can we.
~ We thank thee that thy wisdom has always provided. ~
SOSE-HA-WA - SENECA, 1851
Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 19
"Flexible strength is better than inflexible. Let the storm flow over you, and then pop back up."
--Michael Kabotie, HOPI
Flexibility is taught by nature. You will see the trees bend in the wind. You will see that tree branches are flexible. To be rigid is to break. When we have life problems it is good for us to be flexible. Sometimes we need to flow with what is going on. If we resist, it becomes more painful. We need to be on the path of least resistance. Water flows down the mountain through the path of least resistance. Electricity flows through the path of least resistance. Power flows through the path of least resistance. As Indian people our strength has always been our flexibility.
Creator, I will be flexible today because I know You are with me.
'THINK on THESE THINGS'

If we could but read it, all human beings carry the marks of their character in the lines of their faces. The very expressions are etched there by habitual thought. The most beautiful features my be blank by expression, lacking depth of thought or understanding, while the plainest face may be lighted with a radiance only sincerity and inner beauty can produce.
Alexander Smith was a Scottish poet who wrote, "On your features the fine chisels of thought and emotion are eternally at work."
No pretense can hide the thoughts and feelings. The narrowed eyes of suspicion and discontent tattle, while serenity and devotion to others can reveal such beauty of spirit that the shape of the face is forgotten.
"In thy face I see the map of honor, truth, and loyalty," wrote Shakespeare, and it is safe to say that being able to see those things in another's face is an assurance that he also had such a face. To see only avarice and selfishness in every expression turned to us is to know that our own expressions lack something to be desired.
Life does not have to be full of ease to reflect beauty. Some of the most beautiful faces in history have not had eyes to see nor voices to move their lips, but have possessed peace and serenity that only faith could render.

December 20 - Daily Feast
We view life with our hearts, and if someone does not have it in his heart to see something very beautiful, he will see only the hardship and distrust. Two people in nearly identical circumstances can wake up to the same news, the same information, the same landscape, and see it in totally different ways. One expects trouble to pass - and gives it time. The other sees problems pouring in faster than she can solve them. One sings, the other cries. We have to check our reactions and then check our hearts for corrected vision. This is our privilege, this is life meeting our expectations.
~ We took an oath not to do anything wrong to each other or to scheme against each other. ~
GERONIMO - CHIRICAHUA APACHE
Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 20
"My pottery is the handiwork of God."
--Teresita Naranjo, SANTA CLARA PUEBLO
The Great One has given every human being at least one special talent and one special gift. We need to develop and practice these gifts because they are the handiwork of God. Maybe we are artists-when people look at our work it puts joy in their hearts; maybe we are singers-when people listen to our songs, their hearts are happy; maybe we are writers of song or poetry-when people hear or read our work, it may change their lives. We need to honor ourselves and our gifts. We need to thank the Creator for our talents and our gifts."
My Creator, let me use my gifts to further Your work on the Earth.
'THINK on THESE THINGS'

All the world listens for the voice that speaks with its heart.
How important is the tone of voice, no matter what position we hold in life. The voice of authority, the demanding, commanding and authoritative voice has little lasting effect upon its audience. But the voice of kindness, the cheerful and friendly voice creates  receptivity that few can resist.
In the words of Longfellow, "How wonderful is the human voice! It is indeed the organ of the soul. The intellect of man sits enthroned, visibly on his forehead and in his eye, and the heart of man is written on his countenance, but the soul reveals itself in the voice only."
The voice on the telephone creates a picture for the listener. With the business of the world being run to a very great extent by telephone, it is of the utmost importance what sort of picture that should be. No matter how sharp, strong, hard, flat, weak or soft, that voice creates an impression. If only we could have our voices played back, we would hear ourselves in one of those categories.
Even animals and children respond to voices as they truly are. All the actions in the world speak loudly, but the voice of love, the voice of friendship, and the voice of encouragement are the sweetest of all sounds.
The truly sincere quality in the voice is from the nature within, springing from concern for those about us, the divine love, the deep feeling for all of life.

December 21 - Daily Feast

Rebellion rises in us when one of our customs has to be changed. We think even when times were not east, bits and pieces meant something to us. Leaving it behind means a little of us must stay as well. Familiar memories can be treacherous. They grip the spirit and tell us we are losing something that cannot be replaced. But therein lies the fallacy. We do not replace what has been dear to us. We fold it in love and put it in safekeeping - while we add something new that has a place of its own. One thing does not have to pay the price for the other. Knowing this, we love what was, and enjoy what is.

~ Let us both own this place and enjoy in common the advantages it affords. ~

LITTLE TURTLE - MIAMI, 1700s

Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 21

"He [The Great Spirit] only sketches out the path of life roughly for all the creatures on earth, shows them where to go, where to arrive at, but leaves them to find their own way to get there. He wants them to act independently according to their nature, to the urges of each of them.

--Lame Deer, LAKOTA

Every person is created with purpose and with direction. This purpose and direction is written in our hearts when we are conceived. In addition, we are given access to a quiet guidance system which helps us find our purpose and our direction. We need to recognize this guidance system. It's called intuition, the quiet voice, urges, the knowing or the feeling. Once we locate our purpose and direction, we are given skills, talents and abilities that are unique to only ourselves. We must practice daily prayer and meditation with God to find this information. To be solid and confident in ourselves, we always need to be able to answer three questions: why am I?, who am I?, and where am I going? If I can answer these three questions, I always know I'm OK!

Great Spirit, show me my path of life.

'THINK on THESE THINGS'

America's art critic Henry Theodore Tuckerman believe the hand to be the mind's own perfect subject. As physical labor shows in a man's hands, so does illness, or greediness, or strength.

No other part of the body so expresses human behavior. With our hands we work, play, communicate, love, and express our fear, joy, and grief. These beautifully sensitive symbols of faith, love, and friendship are the hands of time that never stand still. They clasp to us the things we love, the books we read, the seeds we plant, the stitches we sew, and the civilization we build.

This marvelously made human hand, directed by the mind's eye, the mind's ear, and the heart's desires, works every waking moment to express it's owner's life.

The gentle touch, so closely linked with our emotions, can also be the unmistakable expression of strength and honesty. And the most beautiful of all, the praying hands, for surely they are conscious only of God.

December 22 - Daily Feast
Right now the season is at high glitter. Christmas trees in the square are covered with twinkling lights and shops and eating places teem with people in a holiday mood. Gifts of love and obligatory gifts pass from hand to hand and most lay their differences aside for a short time. A time is recalled when the love and happiness were poured into our little homespun Christmas tree, and I wished for lights. My little Cherokee u in tsi, Mother, took me to the doorway and pointed at the heaven so aglitter with stars. She stood quite still for a few seconds and the smiled at me and said, "It kind of puts a light bulb to shame, doesn't it?"
~ .... Ere you change conditions that have brought peace and happiness. ~
PUSHMATAHA - CHOCTAW, 1700s
Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 22
"From Wakan Tanka, the Great Spirit, there came a great unifying life force that flowed in and through all things-the flowers of the plains, blowing winds, rocks, trees, birds, animals-and was the same force that had been breathed into the first man. Thus all things were kindred, and were brought together by the same Great Mystery."
--Chief Luther Standing Bear, SIOUX
The Great Spirit has six things that make up this life force. They are life, love, intelligence, soul, principle, and truth. These are the reasons the life cycle continues. None of this can be altered by man, but we can have access to these powers any time we wish. Just think about it-anytime I have a need I can access one or more of these powers.
Oh Great Mystery, let me know how to use these powers. Today, let me love life, let me know truth, let me live by principle, and let me follow Your intelligence.
'THINK on THESE THINGS'

A lady of much wisdom has often remarked, "If you want to feel well all the time and feel alive, you have to keep the rhythm in your body." Rhythm, the gentle, easy flow of life.
Ordinarily we think of keeping time with music when we think of rhythm. The very idea of allowing one's self the frivolity of feeling rhythm - and such a wonderful idea!
There is an underlying rhythm to all of living. Whenever there is life, there is that pulsating rhythm that has everything on the move. There is harmony and there is a subtle smoothness to finding one's own pace. When we get out of step and resist that pace, we have "one of those days" when everything goes wrong.
William Shakespeare wrote, "The man that hath no music in himself, not is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils; the motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erbus. Let no such man be trusted."

December 23 - Daily Feast
Great and wonderful gifts have poured in over the years to enrich and strengthen life. A piece of plaster board painted and set outside to dry before it could be used as a blackboard, was found by the cow and she nibbled off the corner in search of salt. It worked out all right, because the paint made slick spots where the chalk would not work. And on cold winter mornings around the holidays Grandmother, E li is, would skim the frozen cream that rose to the top of a crock of milk. A little sugar turned it into ice cream that was delicious, even in the coldest weather. The weather was cold and the snow was so deep I was told that Santa might not come through for a few days. But when the school bus made it to deliver the neighbor children they stopped at our house. On Christmas morning I had a doll with red hair and eyes that opened and closed. Love always triumphs.
~ Cultivate peace at home. ~
PETALESHARO - PAWNEE
Elder's Meditation of the Day - December 23
"It's not the package and the wrapping which counts but what is inside, underneath the clothes and the skin."
--Lame Deer, LAKOTA
Our eyes and ears gather information that is fed to the mind, and we tend to form judgments, opinions and assumptions on what our perception is. We might see someone act a certain way, then label that person forever, not at all concentrating on what is inside the person. It matters not our height, our size, our facial features, or our gender. What matters is our thoughts. Good thoughts overcome all obstacles.
Great Spirit, let my inside contain Your qualities.
'THINK on THESE THINGS'

Leisure - what is it? It is that beautiful something that escapes us most of the time. Leisure, like most everything else, can be found if we truly want it. We seem to have the ability to do most of what we set our minds to do, and the less important things can be set aside for this particular thing.
We get pretty stale when we never take time to relax. A few hours of getting away from even a beloved madhouse will make a new human being out of a bundle of nerves.
Pursuit of leisure is to lose it. We can't suddenly say that the next five minutes will be for complete relaxation. It takes that long to begin to unwind. Gaiety and rhythm and frivolity are shunned by most minds. But if there are none of these, even in the smallest amounts, then leisure is more of a restless shuffling - like a night out with no place to go.
We need to exercise our minds a little to achieve any goal, and leisure is definitely a goal!
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Post New ThreadReply