Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Recovery Readings
Register FAQ Community Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search Chat Room

Share This Forum!  

Daily Recovery Readings Start your day here with Daily Recovery Readings. Feel Free To Share Your Experience, Strength & Hope.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2016, 07:06 AM   #11
bluidkiti
Administrator

June 11

Wisdom for Today
Back when I was drinking and using, I would fantasize about the future. I had dreams and aspirations of a fine life, with a happy family, a good job, and many other good things. In recovery I have found many of these good things because of what the program has taught me. Sometimes I now fantasize about what my life would have been like if I never found the program. It is not a pretty picture. Yet this ugly picture is something I carry with me as a reminder. A reminder of what will happen should I choose to go back to the insanity of addiction.
Regardless of the ways we find to convince ourselves that addiction is wrong for us, we all need to face the truth of addiction. Addiction to alcohol or drugs only gets worse over time. There is no cure for this disease; it can be arrested but not cured. In the end it will destroy all that is precious to us. I hold this truth close to me so that I cannot forget the finality of the disease process - death, insanity, or institutions. I hold this close also so that I may be grateful for all the good things I have been given in recovery. Have I found a way to hold the truth of addiction close, so that I will not forget its finality?
Meditations for the Heart
Fantasy and imagination can serve us well in recovery. This was not my original thinking, but over time it has changed much like many other things in recovery. In step eleven we are asked to seek through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God. At first I thought meditation was for people in another culture or for people who were just plain weird. I was wrong about this just like I was wrong about many other things. Using meditation to fantasize or imagine what God wants me to do in my life has turned out to be a good thing. When I think deeply about what God wants and consider the wisdom that He is wanting me to have, only good can come of this. When I imagine myself securely in His arms, my fears slip away. When I imagine myself being given courage for the day, my strength is increased. The Psalm says it best, "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life." Do I take time to meditate regularly?
Petitions to my Higher Power
God,
Be with me this day and walk with me in all that I do. Let me guard closely the truth of addiction and what it can do to me. Let me hold Your truth in front of me as my shield this day. Let me take time to spend in dialog with You. Let me think deeply about Your will for me this day.
Amen
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Post New ThreadReply