Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Lounge > Articles, Facts, Information, News

Share This Forum!  

Articles, Facts, Information, News Share all interesting Articles, Facts, Information, News here to read and discuss.

Post New ThreadReply

Old 08-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Default How You Deal With Stress Can Reduce Cravings

How You Deal With Stress Can Reduce Cravings

If you are trying to maintain a clean and sober life and you have a tendency to deal with stressful situations by avoiding them, you could be setting yourself up for a relapse. Researchers have found that addicts who deal with problems by avoiding them experience twice the number of cravings for drugs during a stressful day than those who use coping skills to work through their problems. Recovering addicts who avoid coping with stress give in more easily to cravings and therefore are more likely to relapse during recovery.
Researchers studied 55 college students who were in recovery from substance abuse - alcohol, cocaine or club drugs. Each student was given a PDA device and asked to record their daily cravings and the intensity of any negative social experiences, as well as their strategies for coping with stress.

Stress Linked to Cravings
First, the researchers found that the number of stressful experiences the recovering addicts had during the day was directly related to the number of cravings they experienced on a daily basis.
They also found that link between experiencing stress and the level of the cravings they experienced was related to the students' reliance on "avoidance coping."
"We found that addicts who deal with stress by avoiding it have twice the number of cravings in a stressful day compared to persons who use problem solving strategies to understand and deal with the stress," said Penn State's H. Harrington Cleveland in a news release. "Avoidance coping appears to undercut a person's ability to deal with stress and exposes that person to variations in craving that could impact recovery from addiction."

Avoiding Stress Doesn't Work
The authors of the study concluded that trying to avoid stress does not work for addicts, simply because it is impossible to completely avoid all stressful experiences. Avoiding problems end up just multiplying those problems, causing even more stress.
Those in the student who were more likely to remain in recovery without relapse were those who used coping skills to work through a problem head on, rather than trying to avoid it.
The study was published in the journal Addictive Behaviors.

http://alcoholism.about.com/b/2010/0...e-cravings.htm
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluidkiti For Sharing:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2014, 04:13 AM   #2
MajestyJo
Super Moderator

Hard on the Joe and Charlie tapes as well as from my spiritual adviser and sponsor, "You can't crave something unless you ingest it in some way. You can be obsessive, compulsive and have the object take over your thinking to the exclusion of all else. If I have a thought, I don't have to act out in it. I may feel a desire to use, but if I say the Serenity Prayer, asking for help, the feeling will pass. All I have to do is wait it out and with my God's Help, I can do this.

Often it means, picking up literature, go on line and visit recovery sites or look at the material on line if I don't possess what I need. God answers Knee-Mail. God is of your understanding. I have used the God all of my life and in a way, He is an old tape. I had to take a spiritual journey to find out who my God was to me and build a communication with Him/Her.

Stress is a big trigger, but often it is me taking on what is not mine. Worry is fear that hasn't said it's prayers. I give to my God and I take it back, because I am not willing to wait on His Schedule.

As it says, "Avoiding Stress doesn't help." We need to acknowledge, feel the emotions, process them, and then let go and let God.

Love always,

Jo

I share because I care.

MajestyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply