Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - June 3

We can place our hope in God.

Even in our old age, God will lead us to serve others.

God loves us, forgives our lapses, and cares for us, even when we forget and treat God’s word as optional.

God’s grace can bring us all new life.

God cares for each of us. As God pours out grace on us, we can share this grace with others.

In times of doubt or frustration, we can draw near to God.

Before making decisions, pray and listen for God’s answer.

Give Thanks Author Unknown
Greg Anderson, in "Living Life on Purpose" tells a story about a man whose wife had left him. He was completely depressed. He had lost faith in himself, in other people, in God - he found no joy in living. One rainy morning this man went to a small neighborhood restaurant for breakfast.
Although several people were at the diner, no one was speaking to anyone else. Our miserable friend hunched over the counter, stirring his coffee with a spoon.
In one of the small booths along the window was a young mother with a little girl. They had just been served their food when the little girl broke the sad silence by almost shouting, "Momma, why don't we say our prayers here?"
The waitress who had just served their breakfast turned around and said, "Sure, honey, we can pray here. Will you say the prayer for us?" And she turned and looked at the rest of the people in the restaurant and said, "Bow your heads."
Surprisingly, one by one, the heads went down. The little girl then bowed her head, folded her hands, and said, "God is great, God is good, and we thank him for our food. Amen."
That prayer changed the entire atmosphere. People began to talk with one another. The waitress said, "We should do that every morning."
"All of a sudden," said our friend, "my whole frame of mind started to improve. From that little girl's example, I started to thank God for all that I did have and stopped majoring in all that I didn't have. I started to be grateful."
"In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." (1 Thes. 5:18)

Didn't See That Coming by Sally I. Kennedy
But about midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns of praise to God, and the prisoners were listening to them; and suddenly there came a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison house were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone’s chains were unfastened. Acts 16:25-26
It had been quite a while, maybe two or three years, since the little plants had been stuck in the sandy soil in our back yard area. Succulents are slow growing, so I wasn’t surprised they didn’t fill in quickly. And never had I seen these plants bloom, so it didn’t cross my mind that they might one day flower.
One rainy morning I looked out and there were stalks springing up. One of them had a cluster of buds that were beginning to open. The tiny star shaped white blooms were so lovely. It was one of those small suddenlies. Didn't see it coming!
We wait for things in our lives, some spoken desires and some kept secretly in our hearts. And one day God – who knows us completely inside and out – breaks on the scene and things are different. Suddenly. And you didn't even see it coming.
“Don’t confuse your path with your destination. Just because it’s stormy now doesn’t mean you aren’t headed for unexpected sunshine” (tweet by Nicky Gumbel). Those ‘suddenlies’. The times you didn’t see it coming. God is faithful; He will show up and his timing is perfect. That’s good news.
As he neared Damascus on his journey, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him. Acts 9:3
Suddenly, there was a sound from heaven like the roaring of a mighty windstorm, and it filled the house where they were sitting. Acts 2:2

A Confession By Chris Maxwell
The office had changed. It was no longer “my office.” But many memories returned quickly to my mind as I sat in that place of my former life.
I recently returned to speak in the church I pastored for many years. Before speaking in the two morning services, I sat in the pastor’s office. Sitting there in conversation with the pastor, I stared through the room. My past place of deep study, of intense prayer, of music and books, articles and dreams. My past place of pastoral care.
People came to seek guidance there. People came to feel no longer alone. People came to discuss their fears, their dreams, their desires, their pain—I sat again in that room remembering years of confessions.
I realized again it never really was “my office.” I was just a friend sent there to pause for a moment and listen.
And I realized again how we all need to pause for a moment and find someone to listen.
Going farther back in time, I can remember those times as a child when I would confess to Mama. I had probably denied my faults a few times before giving in and admitting my mistakes. I can also remember confessions to a counselor, to dear friends, to my family. Those times when we admit we failed—can’t those be positive moments of healing instead of depressing moments of failure?
One confession I want us to start with as we learn to hit pause in our hurried lives, is this: We need someone to talk to. Not just “get togethers” where people talk about all other people. Not just casual and humorous admissions to erring like everyone else. I mean honest, genuine, and freeing confessions. With nothing to prove and nothing to deny, we can release internal luggage and find healing.
Confessions allow us to reveal the realities within ourselves—realities that our hurried schedules often ignore or deny. If our eyes widen to the realities of our lives, what will we see? In ourselves, our schedules, our motives, our busyness, our masks? Whatever we notice, whatever is staring back, let’s confess it in the appropriate setting.
We can be honest about ourselves to the Listener who already knows everything about us. Prayerful confessions should fit the mood of words like sincere, candid, frank. Emotions like fear might come along for the journey. Worry of rejections might lure us toward resisting such open dialogue with God. But we can work through that. We can choose to admit to ourselves and our God and a dear friend those parts of ourselves.
We confess.
God responds with love.
We feel like confessing even more. So we do.
God responds with love.
And, then we begin to notice that His love is what we’d craved all along. After so many attempts to feel better and perform better and become better and make our families better and make this world better—and now a slow motion reflection, and confession of our true selves, a release of needless drive helps us be healed after all.
No more words are needed to be prayed or sung or confessed. In silence we sit with our Creator. We realize He’s not finished crafting us. Let us rest as He works. Let us rest.

The Twelve String By Dion Todd
When I ran my fingers across the strings, I knew instantly that this was the most beautiful sounding thing that I had ever picked up and that I had to have one. It was a twelve string acoustic guitar, a deep red sun-burst, and it was in perfect tune. I am not much of a guitar player, but even strumming it with your fingers sounded wonderful and full. It was as pretty as the sounds that it made and it was difficult to make it sound bad, at first.
Later as it got played and went through temperature changes, it became out of tune, and what a change that was. Now when you strummed, it reminded you of cats fighting and no one could make it sound good. Everything that had previously been right with it, was now horribly wrong. After spending some painful time tuning it back up, it sounded wonderful and full once again. Anyone that has tuned a twelve string guitar knows what I am talking about. It just needed to be kept in tune to sound good.
So it is with our lives. When in tune with the Lord's plan for us, life is beautiful, full and we are a joy to be around. But after being played for a while by others, we can become flat, sharp, or a bit of both. We begin to make irritating noises that no one likes.
No matter how out of tune you are, the Lord can fix you. He can restore what is missing. He can make the bad and the sad into the great and the joyful. The way back is to get in tune with the Lord again by getting somewhere quiet and talking to Him like a friend. It is the Lord Jesus that beautifully tunes us, polishes us, and cares for us. With Him, we can become something beautiful.
Prayer: Father, lead me into all that You have in store for me. May Your perfect will be done in my life. You told us that Your sheep hear Your voice and another they will not follow. Teach me to recognize when You are speaking to me. Keep me in tune with You Lord, in the name of Jesus Christ I pray.

Soursop In The Son by Karen Lubbers
Luke 8:15 – But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop. (NIV)
Almost daily, the neighbour twins run over to my house to check the fruit seeds that we have planted in broken mugs in the kitchen window. We've had one success so far: the soursop seed grew to be a foot-and-a half tall before we transplanted it beside the banana plantation in the village. Living in Uganda is not always easy, and in the northern part, the fruits are not so diverse, so we are trying to plant some variety.
"Auntie Karen, is it there yet? Can we see anything green?"
The boys have learned to dig for nice brown soil, and they know how deep to plant the seeds, but patience for five-year-olds is tough. They want to see a plant grow now. Thankfully though, every day, they get super excited about a tiny new green speck in the dirt.
I'm glad that they have the joy and energy to wait two years before even tasting the fruit of the soursop tree.
2 Timothy 2:6 – The hardworking farmer should be the first to receive a share of the crops. (NIV)
And I'm glad that God has the patience to wait for me to grow in my faith. There are times when I feel like I'm barely surviving through droughts, rain storms, and windy days. Often, I even feel like I'm about to break, but God is a faithful gardener. Sometimes, my life feels like a "soursop" — my attitude is wrong, my face is downcast, and the events around me can put me in a sour mood.
Delightfully, God is there, looking after His creation. He protects me from the storm when I can no longer handle it on my own, and the Holy Spirit nudges me to hold true to the promises in the Word.
Luke 8:15 – As for that in the good soil, they are those who, hearing the word, hold it fast in an honest and good heart, and bear fruit with patience. (ESV)
I love that. I need to stay in the Word and hold fast with an honest and good heart. And guess what? I will be able to bear fruit with patience! I will be able to shine for the Son!
So as we wait, the twins are learning that our roots in God need to be deep and secure and that we always need to be in the sun for best results. Someday soon, we will enjoy the sweet fruit that has taken so long to grow.
Prayer: Lord of all creation, thank You for delighting in us and for patiently waiting for us to grow in Your likeness. Forgive us for times when we fail to seek You, but sometimes stick our roots in the ways of the world. Help us to remain in the vine and to trust in Your Word alone. Heavenly Father, grant us patience, and guide us in holding fast with an honest and good heart. May Your name alone be glorified. Amen.

Listening Is the Key to Speaking
Have you ever said something you wished you hadn't? Do your words ever get you in trouble? I often forget to think before I open my mouth. When the words come out they are mean, hurtful or just plain out-of-place. Then I sit and wish that I had not opened my mouth at all. I have hurt friends and family. I have gotten myself into big trouble.
Jesus knew this about us. He says what we put into our mouths is not unclean but what we allow to come out. Words can do more damage than fists. Jesus was well aware of this. We have the power to build people up and tear them down with only a word or two. We are told to be careful and think before speaking. Learning to listen to others and carefully reviewing the words you want to say in response can prevent a lot of pain for you and people around you.
We seem to avoid thinking first and speaking second. God knows the power of our words. We are called to speak gently. I wonder what the world would be like if we took this advice to heart. I wonder how my life and your life would change if we learned to weigh our words and speak in love without anger and sarcasm. — Edie Lenz
Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips. Psalm 141:3
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14

Small Straws In A Soft Wind by Marsha Burns
Do not waste your time and your life worrying. Have faith in Me, and take the necessary steps to move forward with your life in constructive ways. This may require a change in your mind sets and attitudes, but it will be well worth the effort you put forth to do so. Change what you can, and trust Me for the rest, says the Lord. Matthew 6:27 "Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature?"

The spirit of antichrist has been loosed to accuse and test you, My people. You must stand strong in what you know and believe and not be shaken by accusations. Know that this is an attack of the enemy that you can quite easily rise above if you walk and live in the Spirit and refuse to dump down into flesh reactions, says the Lord. Be strong! 1 John 2:18 Little children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come, by which we know that it is the last hour.

I am leading you into unfamiliar territory so that you can see things you have not seen and learn things you have not known. Do not be afraid. Rather, proceed with an adventurous attitude. This time will result in a spiritual growth spurt, which you cannot move forward without, says the Lord. Psalms 16:11 You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.

Even though change is sometimes frightening and difficult, you will begin to see the advantage in the changes that are now taking place. Things that are no longer relevant or advantageous to your walk in the Spirit will suddenly be removed. And, you will be relieved and free rather than experiencing a sense of regret or loss. Set your heart to be willing to let go, says the Lord. Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck what is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; a time to gain, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to throw away; a time to tear, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak; a time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

Be alert and pay attention to the small things. Knowing the details will make all the difference at this time and can be extremely important to the outcome of situations you encounter. Exercise your discernment so that you can avoid costly mistakes. Know that I am with you to take you in the right direction, says the Lord. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.

It will take some effort to stay on course. There are many things in your environment and circumstances that could interrupt your focus on the long goal. Remember who you are in Me and My purposes for you, says the Lord. Distractions at this time could be deadly. Psalms 63:6 When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches.

The Trumpet by Bill Burns
"Set the trumpet to your mouth!" Hosea 8:1
You are not the spiritual person I want you to become. I want you to see as I see and to believe as I believe. I want you to walk in purity. I will open doors for you to be changed, moment by moment into the My image. All you have to do is believe. It is possible for you, for I am the Lord of Glory, and I guide you into that which I am speaking about this day, says the Lord.

Come boldly before My throne of grace and receive the help that you need in this hour. I give the power that you need to overcome and be renewed. It is the power to bring the provision into your life that you require. All of these things I do for you, says the Lord, because I am the One who loves you and cares for and watches over you absolutely and completely. Be renewed in your faith today. I will present Myself to you in a fresh new way.

STRENGTH DAY BY DAY Author Unknown
One day when my burden seemed greater.
Than my body and sprit could bear,
Weighed down by the load, I faltered
Beneath my sorrow and care.
And I cried to the heedless silence,
As I walked where I could not see,
"Where is the strength that is promised?
Where is the strength for me?"
And, suddenly, out of the silence,
A voice came clear and true,
"My child, you are striving to carry
A burden not intended for you;
And the thought of the years outstretching
Before you, has darkened the way;
While the only strength I have promised
Is the strength needed just for today."
I took one step - and I found it
Quite easy, indeed, to take;
And the burden slid from my shoulders;
And my heart that was ready to break
Gave thanks that my eyes were opened;
And my shoulders were eased of their load,
As I saw, step by step, I was strengthened,
To walk on the roughest road!
"God is my strength and power; and he makes my way perfect." (2 Samuel 22:33)

Behind the Clouds
When my spirit is heavy,
Dark, like a thick, black sky.
When I feel crushed down,
Abandoned, useless, a ruin,
Then, Lord, is the time
To look to you, to believe
That you are behind the clouds,
That one day
They will disperse,
And your light will shine
Into my heart, from a clear sky,
To warm it
Until it is bright with your light.
Amen.

James 1:19 – My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.

And David said to his son Solomon, “Be strong and of good courage, and do it; do not fear nor be dismayed, for the Lord God, my God, will be with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you, until you have finished all the work for the service of the house of the Lord.” 1 Chronicles 28:20

[The righteous] will bear fruit even when old and gray; they will remain lush and fresh in order to proclaim: “The LORD is righteous. He’s my rock.” - Psalm 92:14-15

In all your ways acknowledge [the Lord], and he will make straight your paths. - Proverbs 3:6

This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. - 1 John 4:10

"As the deer pants for the water brooks, So pants my soul for You, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?" Psalm 42:1-2

"The LORD protects the simplehearted; when I was in great need, he saved me." Psalm 116:6

“Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart.” Psalm 37:4

I can do all things in him that strengtheneth me. Philippians 4:13

Draw Close to Me by Sarah Young
Sometimes My Sovereign hand — My control over your life — places you in humbling circumstances. You feel held down, held back, and powerless to change things. You long to break free and feel in control of your life once again. Although this is an uncomfortable position, it is actually a good place to be. Your discomfort awakens you from the slumber of routine and reminds you that I am in charge of your life. It also presents you with an important choice: You can lash out at your circumstances or you can draw closer to Me.
When you are suffering, your need for Me is greater than ever.
The more you choose to come near Me, affirming your trust in Me, the more you can find hope in My unfailing Love. You can even learn to be joyful in hope while waiting in My Presence — where Joy abounds.
Persevere in trusting Me, and I will eventually lift you up. Meanwhile, cast all your anxiety on Me, knowing that I care for you affectionately and am watching over you continually.
Which of your circumstances are causing you the most discomfort? Surrender each one, beloved. You can trust Me.
Many are the woes of the wicked, but the Lord’s unfailing love surrounds the man who trusts in Him. — Psalm 32:10
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. — Romans 12:12
You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore. — Psalm 16:11
Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that He may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. — 1 Peter 5:6–7
Your Turn: Where are you uncomfortable and powerless to change the circumstances? Bring that pain before the Lord today. Draw close and lean into His everlasting love and say it again — I trust You, God.

Dear Lord, Open our hearts and our minds to the power of Your word, that as we read, we may know, understand, and obey Your word for us today. Help us remember Your power and love and to praise You in every situation. Amen.

Read Through The Bible
Psalm 17
1 Hear the right, O Lord, attend unto my cry, give ear unto my prayer, that goeth not out of feigned lips. 2 Let my sentence come forth from thy presence; let thine eyes behold the things that are equal. 3 Thou hast proved mine heart; thou hast visited me in the night; thou hast tried me, and shalt find nothing; I am purposed that my mouth shall not transgress. 4 Concerning the works of men, by the word of thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer. 5 Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not. 6 I have called upon thee, for thou wilt hear me, O God: incline thine ear unto me, and hear my speech. 7 Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them. 8 Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings, 9 From the wicked that oppress me, from my deadly enemies, who compass me about. 10 They are inclosed in their own fat: with their mouth they speak proudly. 11 They have now compassed us in our steps: they have set their eyes bowing down to the earth; 12 Like as a lion that is greedy of his prey, and as it were a young lion lurking in secret places. 13 Arise, O Lord, disappoint him, cast him down: deliver my soul from the wicked, which is thy sword: 14 From men which are thy hand, O Lord, from men of the world, which have their portion in this life, and whose belly thou fillest with thy hid treasure: they are full of children, and leave the rest of their substance to their babes. 15 As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.

Loving God, Help us to forgive others as You have forgiven us. Amen.

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply