Links

Join

Forums

Find Help

Recovery Readings

Spiritual Meditations

Chat

Contact

Go Back   Bluidkiti's Alcohol and Drug Addictions Recovery Help/Support Forums > Daily Recovery Readings, Spiritual Meditations and Prayers > Daily Spiritual Meditations > Weekly Spiritual Meditations

Share This Forum!  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #1
bluidkiti
Administrator

Icon24 Weekly Spiritual Meditations - November 8

God, help me learn to take care of myself and live with passion, compassion, and an open heart. --Melody Beattie

Actions have consequences. Lord, may my actions not create difficulties, but rather bring peace and joy to my life.

Don't give up before the miracle happens.

God responds to our persistent faith.

Most of us are rich in ways that really matter -- a good relationship with our Lord, a spouse and family that loves us, reasonable health, a good church, etc. The problem is that we tend to take many of our riches for granted. So, whether you are rich in monetary ways or other ways or both, always give God the glory and be sure to thank Him.

God is never early. God is never late.

We will see Christ in unlikely places if we take time to look.

As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action.

Love is respect. Love is truth with kindness. Love is being willing to forgive and help others. Love is thinking about how our Higher Power wants us to act. We have turned our will and our lives over to love, and our Higher Power. --Keep It Simple

God can use even bad things in our lives to bring about good.

"Recognize yourself as a child of God; recognize others as children of God." --John-Roger

"God is specializing in you." --Alan Cohen

"The Hut" Author Unknown
The only survivor of a shipwreck was washed up on a small, uninhabited island. He prayed feverishly for God to rescue him, and every day he scanned the horizon for help, but none seemed forthcoming. Exhausted, he eventually managed to build a little hut out of driftwood to protect him from the elements and to store his few possessions.
But then one day, after scavenging for food, he arrived home to find his little hut in flames, the smoke rolling up to the sky. The worst had happened - everything was lost. He was stunned with grief and anger.
"God, how could you do this to me!" he cried. Early the next day, however, he was awakened by the sound of a ship that was approaching the island. It had come to rescue him.
"How did you know I was here?" asked the weary man of his rescuers.
"We saw your smoke signal," they replied.
It is easy to get discouraged when things are going bad, but we shouldn't lose heart, because God is at work in our lives, even in the midst of pain and suffering. Remember, next time your little hut is burning to the ground ----it just may be a smoke signal that summons the grace of God.
For all the negative things we have to say to ourselves, God has a positive answer:
You say: "It's impossible"
God says: All things are possible (Luke 18:27)
You say: "Nobody really loves me"
God says: I love you (John 3:16 & John 13:34)
You say: "I can't go on"
God says: My grace is sufficient (II Corinthians 12:9 & Psalm 91:15)
You say: "I can't figure things out"
God says: I will direct your steps (Proverbs 3:5-6)
You say: "I can't do it"
God says: You can do all things (Philippians 4:13)
You say: "I'm not able"
God says: I am able (II Corinthians 9:8)
You say: "It's not worth it"
God says: It will be worth it (Roman 8:28)
You say: "I can't forgive myself"
God says: I FORGIVE YOU (I John 1:9 & Romans 8:1)
You say: "I can't manage"
God says: I will supply all your needs (Philippians 4:19)
You say: "I'm afraid"
God says: I have not given you a spirit of fear (II Timothy 1:7)
You say: "I'm always worried and frustrated"
God says: Cast all your cares on ME (I Peter 5:7)
You say: "I don't have enough faith"
God says: I've given everyone a measure of faith (Romans 12:3)
You say: "I'm not smart enough"
God says: I give you wisdom (I Corinthians 1:30)
You say: "I feel all alone"
God says: I will never leave you or forsake you (Hebrews 13:5)

God All Over Your Day by Ron Hutchcraft
When I'm on the road and staying in a motel, I'm often leaving pretty early that day for the responsibilities I have. But by the time I return late that night, something amazing has happened. The bed is made and I didn't make it! I've got new, clean towels! I didn't find them. Everything's straightened and neat. I even get these cool little soaps now that are in the bathroom! The Room Fairy has been there! Now, I know that not because I've seen the maid (actually I haven't), but because I can see the results of her work all over the place.
He is, you know. It's not unlike that maid scenario. You may not see the one who made the difference, but you can sure see the difference that He made, if you're looking for it.
If you've ever been to one of those church meetings where they ask people to share their favorite verses, you've probably heard somebody mention our word for today from the Word of God. It's a lot of people's favorite verse. Proverbs 3:5-6, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding." Notice what's the opposite of trusting in the Lord with all your heart: trying to figure it out for yourself, doing what you think is best - leaning on your own understanding.
Now comes a formula for finding out what God wants you to do in any given situation. Well, we need that. Verse 6 says, "In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths." Now, God says, "If you want to know My heart for you, acknowledge Me in every situation you're in." You know what acknowledge means. Have you ever been in a new place or a roomful of people and you've gone totally un-greeted, un-noticed? Well, you were saying to yourself, "Hey, I wish someone would acknowledge me. I wish someone would notice I'm here." See, God knows that feeling. He shows up all through our day, and we often never notice Him. We don't acknowledge Him.
The other day I was really blessed in a place not normally associated with blessing-the dentist's office. I was in the waiting room and I saw an old friend with his wife-they're both in their 90's. He's working very hard to care for his wife because her health is deteriorating. Because it had been raining when they came in, my friend asked the dentist if he could help him get his wife out to the car. My dentist came back in, really touched by what had happened in those two minutes-so touched that he brought it up two more times. He said, "When I went out with George and his wife, it wasn't raining. And George said, 'Isn't it great that the Lord stopped the rain long enough for us to get out to the car?' Then he just looked heavenward and said, 'Thanks, Father.'"
Now that's acknowledging Him. That's noticing God's working in the details of your day. And that's where praise comes from, where joy comes from, where a victorious attitude comes from in the toughest of times. But you have to go into your day looking for God at work. If you don't, you'll miss God and you'll miss the joy. But if you do train your heart to go on a daily God-hunt (God-sightings, you know), you'll experience what the great preacher Charles Spurgeon talked about when he said, "He who looks for providences (or God-actions) will never lack a providence to observe."
If you haven't been seeing God a lot lately, it's because you haven't been looking. You may have been focused on your circumstances, or other people, or yourself or what's stressing you out. You've missed the fingerprints of God all over your day. The little mercies, the small miracles, the interventions, the protection, the encouraging surprises, the bad things that didn't happen. I know there's never a day where He doesn't show up because the Bible says His "mercies are new every morning!"
In those transformed motel rooms, I seldom see the maid, but I see the results of her work. In the little and big moments of your day, you may not see God, but you can see the results of His work on your behalf because you're His much-loved child. You'll see God all over your day if you're looking for Him.

How to make good choices by looking ahead by seniorlivingministries.org
Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. - James 3:5
In a small village in Borneo, well-intentioned health workers once sprayed the straw huts with the now-illegal substance, DDT. The purpose of the spraying was to control the mosquito population, thereby reducing cases of life-threatening malaria among the tribe. Little did they realize the unintended consequences they’d incur.
The spray didn’t kill just the mosquitos. It also killed the lizards that normally inhabited the thatch walls of the huts. The village cats then ate the lizards and died also. That resulted in an unrestrained influx of rats into the village.
Not only that, but the lizards’ demise left the population of straw-consuming caterpillars free to reproduce. They eventually gobbled up the straw roofs of the huts.
Almost every action has unintended consequences. Sometimes they’re harmless; other times they aren’t. But it’s important, as believers in Christ, for us to think through the consequences of our actions.
For example, before we repeat something we heard about someone else, it’s important to stop and think about how it may impact that person. It might cause us to think twice before speaking!
Be mindful of the consequences of your actions and make wise choices to do what’s right!
Prayer Challenge: Pray that God would keep you mindful of the consequences your actions have.
Questions for Thought: Think of a time when you did something that caused unintended negative consequences. What happened? How might looking ahead thoughtfully keep a situation like that from happening again?

Try Looking Up By Joni Eareckson Tada
When I was little and went horseback riding with my sisters, I had a hard time keeping up. My problem was that I was riding a little pony only half the size of their mounts. I had to gallop twice as fast just to keep up.
I didn't mind. I took it as a challenge - until we came to the edge of a river. My sisters on their big horses thought it was fun and exciting to cross the river at the deepest part. They never seemed to notice that my little pony sank quite a bit deeper into the swirling waters. It was scary, but I wasn't about to let them know.
One crossing in particular sticks in my memory: the Gorsuch Switch Crossing on the Patapsco River. It had rained earlier that week and the river was brown and swollen. As our horses waded out toward midstream, I became transfixed staring at the swirling waters rushing around the legs of my pony. It made me scared and dizzy. I began to lose my balance in the saddle.
The voice of my sister Jay finally broke through my panic. "Look up, Joni! Keep looking up!"
Sure enough, as soon as I focused on my sister on the other side, I was able to regain my balance and finish the crossing.
That little story came to mind recently when I was reading about Peter in Matthew 14. It seems he had a similar problem as he walked on the water toward the Lord Jesus. He looked down at the raging waters, got dizzy, and lost his balance. Because he took his eyes off the Lord and put them on the swirling waves around him, he began to sink.
How much are we like him! Instead of resting on the Word of God, we let our circumstances almost transfix us, absorbing us to the point where we begin to lose our spiritual equilibrium. We become dizzy with fear and anxiety. And before you know it, we've lost our balance.
It's easy to panic, isn't it? And admittedly, it's hard to look up - especially when you feel like you're sinking.
But my pony and I made it across the Patapsco and Peter made it back to his boat. Thousands before you, enduring the gale force winds of circumstance, have made it through, keeping their eyes on the Lord Jesus. How about you?
If you can't find a way out, try looking up .

"With Wings as Eagles" Author Unknown
Did you know that an eagle knows when a storm is approaching long before it breaks? The eagle will fly to some high spot and wait for the winds to come.
When the storm hits, it sets its wings so that the wind will pick it up and lift it above the storm. While the storm rages below, the eagle is soaring above it. The eagle does not escape the storm. It simply uses the storm to lift it higher. It rises on the winds that bring the storm.
When the storms of life come upon us - and all of us will experience them - we can rise above them by setting our minds and our belief toward God. The storms do not have to overcome us. We can allow God's power to lift us above them. God enables us to ride the winds of the storm that bring sickness, tragedy, failure and disappointment in our lives. We can soar above the storm. Remember, it is not the burdens of life that weigh us down, it is how we handle them.
"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." Isaiah 40:31 (KJV)

The Three Little Squirrels by Sharon Y. Greer
1 Corinthians 9:24b – So run [your race] that you may lay hold [of the prize] and make it yours. (AMPC)
During the summer, out the window, I watched my three friendly squirrels racing about the yard and up and down their tree. The Lord has used them to teach me many important lessons.
Tippy arrived just recently, and is so named because of the white tip on the end of his black tail. He never stops running, and it almost wears me out just watching him. He is evidently devoted to his given task of collecting and storing food for the winter.
Tippy inspires me because he never seems to stop. It is as if he were saying, "Just because you're growing older" (my white hair is becoming quite prominent despite my efforts to cover it up), "doesn't mean you stop working for the Lord. He has a purpose for you in sharing the good news of the kingdom with others, no matter your age." Jesus clearly stated, "Seek (aim at and strive after) first of all His kingdom and His righteousness (His way of doing and being right), and then all these things taken together will be given you besides." (Matthew 6:33 AMPC) I appreciate that reminder because, in my advancing years, the promise of being provided with "all these things" is very comforting.
I also admire Nippy. She, like Tippy, collects and stores food in the nest. I assume that Nippy is a female because she stayed in the nest during much of the early spring, then finally appeared once again with three babies, who quickly grew up and moved away. She seems to have the additional task of keeping a watchful eye for any enemies and defending the nest from marauders such as crows; hence, I have named her Nippy.
Likewise, we are reminded in God's Word to watch out for the enemy of our souls, Satan, the devil, who will use any method to undermine our relationship with our Lord. "Be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour." (1 Peter 5:8 AMPC)
Finally, there is Dippy, who, sad to say, ignored the warning to be vigilant. Unlike his two friends, he stopped frequently to nibble on the delectable morsels he discovered, instead of taking them back to the nest to store for the winter. His carelessness and lack of commitment, due to his self-centredness, proved to be tragic, and resulted in his untimely end. He stopped running once too many times. The result of neglecting to watch for enemies became a vivid reality, and I watched with horror as a huge hawk swooped down and carried him away.
As believers, we must be continually aware of Satan's tactics, whether subtle or direct, and be prepared to defend our beliefs, always alert to opportunities to share them. "Withstand him; be firm in faith [against his onset — rooted, established, strong, immovable, and determined]." (1 Peter 5:9a AMPC) This is a vital part of the Father's instructions for each one of us as we run the race that He has set before us.
Prayer: Father in heaven, help us to study Your Word and to take it seriously. We know that You have a plan for our lives, and it is only by listening carefully and heeding Your instructions that we can navigate the pitfalls that the enemy has for us. Help us to faithfully and continually run the race that You have set before us, so that one day, we will hear those wonderful words, "Well done good and faithful servant. Enter into the joy of your Lord." Amen.

Asking For Help by Timothy Jackson, Jr.
"I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears." (Psalm 34:4)
A young man found himself lost as he attempted to drive through an unfamiliar city where his cell phone would not work. He was determined to find his way, so he continued to drive around wondrously lost not knowing where he was going. Hours passed by and the young man finally decided to stop at a service station and ask someone. After leaving the service station, just minutes later he was on the right path.
It then dawned on him how help was always available, but pride prevented him from asking for help. Frustration settled in because hours had passed, and daylight was gone - all because he refused to ask for help.
There are many times in life that we exhibit pride similar to that of the young man. Many times, we will buy something new and spend hours trying to figure out how it works before picking up the directions. We will spend hours trying to learn the features of a gadget before picking up the manual. Most of all, we waste a lot of time and effort trying to figure out certain things in life. We have a "determined to figure it out on my own" mind set.
Days, weeks, months, or years have passed and we have found ourselves at the same point. This attitude has allowed discouragement, doubt, fear, loneliness, and other negative things to settle in, simply because we refuse to tap into the Help that is available to us. We need to be encouraged to struggle no longer alone, but "ask Him for Help!"
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened." Matthew 7:7-8
"If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you." James 1:5

Bearing Gifts by Sandra Lewis Pringle
I passed a teenager upon the street,
who nodded, and politely gave me a smile.
I was in too much of a hurry to return his gesture,
After all, I had to be back to the office, in just a short while.
My child came running up from play;
a handful of daisies, she brought.
I thanked her, thoughtlessly lay them aside,
and into the wastebasket, they were later tossed.
My grandmother gave me once a beautiful ring,
a momento of her well spent life.
I put it away, until a rainy day.
I pawned it, when cash was low, and my spirit, was downcast and contrite.
My Father gave me a Gift, one that was blessed, by far.
I gave it not, a second thought, I was reaching out for another star.
I came upon the Pearly Gates.
As they opened, I stepped inside.
I stood before the Judgment Throne;
I wanted to run and hide.
"Where is the work I sent you to do?"
My Father asked, with disappointment upon His face.
I muttered not a feeble excuse.
I was ashamed, I could not explain.
I felt completely worthless, in this beautiful Place.
If I could but just turn back, and give that teenager a smile.
If I could replace those daisies, so carelessly cast aside,
and make my daughter a happier child.
If I could find that ring, that beautiful ring,
a treasure from my grandmother's heart,
I would hold it close and treasure its worth,
and NEVER from me, would it part.
I would take my Gift, the one My Father had given,
I would work endlessly, night and day.
When my life was over, and all those who were lost,
whom I had been responsible for, saved,
"Well done, My Child," My Father could rightfully say.

My Gift by Helen Johnson
You gave your all, Lord,
you gave us your best!
Because of your love,
we've been truly blessed!
You've given so much
and that is the reason,
I'm giving to you,
this holiday season...
All of myself, and all I can be
a heart full of thanks, I give to thee;
For the love and compassion
that you've given to me.
There's no way I could ever
begin to repay
All the mercy and grace,
you have sent my way.
I just want you to know Lord
that I love you more,
Each day that I live
more than ever before!
It's all that I have Lord,
this gift of my love,
But it's sent from my heart
on the wings of your dove!

My Cup Runneth Over by Ann Taylor
Recipe For "My Cup Runneth Over"
1 cup of Human Kindness
1 cup of Personal Caring
1 cup of Love for Others
Stir in 1 cup of Sharing.
1 cup of Humble Effort
1 cup of Fervent Prayer
1 cup of Bible Reading
1 cup of Jesus Shared.
When mixed with Living Water and sprinkled with Blessings from above, this can be poured through an individual heart form and served in an overflowing cup.

2 Thessalonians 3:3 – The Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen and protect you from the evil one.

I will bow down toward your holy temple and will praise your name for your love and your faithfulness, for you have exalted above all things your name and your word. The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me; your love, O LORD , endures forever -
do not abandon the works of your hands. -- Psalm 138 2, 8 NIV

Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me! For my soul trusts in You; And in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge, Until these calamities have passed by. I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me. -- Psalm 57:1,2 NKJV

Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: -- Philippians 1:6 KJV

Exodus 15:11 – Who among the gods is like you, O Lord? Who is like you — majestic in holiness, awesome in glory, working wonders?

You also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 2:5

Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature. Romans 13:14

The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever. 1 John 2:17

Save me, O God, by your name; vindicate me by your might. Hear my prayer, O God; listen to the words of my mouth. Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me. Psalm 54:1-2;4

"Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them." Hebrews 7 :25

Turn Your Security System On Author Unknown
A horrible thing happened to me today, a thief broke into my house.
It happened shortly after I awoke this morning. I got up and began rushing about. I had a thousand things on my list and was already running behind. Quickly, I gulped down breakfast, took a shower and got ready for work.
In my rush, I forgot to turn the security system on at my house. It was just about a half an hour later that the thief broke in. Of course, he didn't make a sound. Just kind of snuck inside, not drawing any attention to himself. In fact, none of the neighbors ever saw him.
But, I did.
You see, I was home when the thief broke in.
He naturally startled me, as I was unprepared for his visit. He, of course, didn't announce that he was coming and I certainly had not invited him over.
And yet, I found myself face to face with danger and I felt so powerless. I also felt so very stupid, because this whole incident could have been avoided if I had just taken the time to turn the security system on.
You better believe I'll be turning it on tomorrow morning! I thought I'd warn you about this guy, because he's still on the loose. Chances are, he's in your area. Possibly even headed for your house.
His name? His name is satan. You see, this morning when I jumped up in my haste to get started on my busy day, I skipped my prayer time--opting to pray later today. In other words, I didn't turn on the security system. My defense wasn't on, my guard was dropped and when the thief came into my home to attack me, I was unprepared to do battle. He tempted me and I felt powerless. Like I said, I also felt so very stupid, because I could have avoided the incident if I had just taken the time to pray.
My friend, the thief has come to steal, kill and destroy. And, as a Child of God, you are on his hit list. He'll probably pop over to your house today. He may be lurking outside your door right now, just waiting to catch you off guard.
Take time to pray this morning. Ask God to bind satan from your very presence, to protect you and empower you to do battle. In short, don't forget to turn your security system on.

Dear God, I want to thank You for what You have already done.
I am not going to wait until I see results or receive rewards, I am thanking You right now.
I am not going to wait until I feel better or things look better, I am thanking You right now.
I am not going to wait until people say they are sorry or until they stop talking about me, I am thanking You right now.
I am not going to wait until the pain in my body disappears, I am thanking You right now.
I am not going to wait until my financial situation improves, I am going to thank You right now.
I am not going to wait until the children are asleep and the house is quiet, I am going to thank You right now.
I am not going to wait until I get promoted at work or until I get the job, I am going to thank You right now.
I am not going to wait until I understand every experience in my life that has caused me pain or grief, I am going to thank You right now.
I am not going to wait until the journey gets easier or the challenges are removed. I am thanking You right now.
I am thanking You because I am alive.
I am thanking You because I made it through the day’s difficulties.
I am thanking You because I have walked around the obstacles.
I am thanking You because I have the ability and the opportunity to do more and do better.
I’m thanking You because Father, you haven’t given up on me.
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13).

Read Through The Bible
Psalm 81
1 Sing aloud unto God our strength: make a joyful noise unto the God of Jacob. 2 Take a psalm, and bring hither the timbrel, the pleasant harp with the psaltery. 3 Blow up the trumpet in the new moon, in the time appointed, on our solemn feast day. 4 For this was a statute for Israel, and a law of the God of Jacob. 5 This he ordained in Joseph for a testimony, when he went out through the land of Egypt: where I heard a language that I understood not. 6 I removed his shoulder from the burden: his hands were delivered from the pots. 7 Thou calledst in trouble, and I delivered thee; I answered thee in the secret place of thunder: I proved thee at the waters of Meribah. Selah. 8 Hear, O my people, and I will testify unto thee: O Israel, if thou wilt hearken unto me; 9 There shall no strange god be in thee; neither shalt thou worship any strange god. 10 I am the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it. 11 But my people would not hearken to my voice; and Israel would none of me. 12 So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust: and they walked in their own counsels. 13 Oh that my people had hearkened unto me, and Israel had walked in my ways! 14 I should soon have subdued their enemies, and turned my hand against their adversaries. 15 The haters of the Lord should have submitted themselves unto him: but their time should have endured for ever. 16 He should have fed them also with the finest of the wheat: and with honey out of the rock should I have satisfied thee.

Lord, Make what I have enough for me. Help me to see that all I need is you. You will make my plate full. You will guide me in the way that I should go. I will do the footwork. Amen

"Father, I ask you to bless my friends and relatives. Show them a new revelation of your love and power. Holy spirit, I ask you to minister to their spirit at this very moment. Where there is pain, give them your peace and mercy. Where there is self doubt, release a renewed confidence through your grace. In Jesus' precious name. Amen.

Wherever you are in life, whatever you've done, you can begin again. If you do not have Jesus in your life and wish to ask Jesus into your life please go to this link now to do so: http://www.bluidkiti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130 .
Jesus is calling you to live a life that matters.
We stay sober and clean together - one day at a time!
God says that each of us is worth loving.
bluidkiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Post New ThreadReply